SV UU Help with SV UU Sun Team

https://pokepast.es/a0d6f8d50126eac1
:torkoal::brute bonnet::charizard::talonflame::sandy shocks::slither wing:

Hello, this is a team I have been tinkering with for a little bit now, but so far have only found limited success (~55% win rate at best on low ladder). Despite this, I do still enjoy using this team and would like to see if it was possible to make more competitively viable. Any help is appreciated!

---

:sv/torkoal:
Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Lava Plume
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn

Running Heat Rock feels almost mandatory for how much this team benefits/relies on sun being up. This causes issues as the importance of sun can come into conflict with Torkoal being the one of the two best pokemon on the team for eating physical hits along with Talonflame. As you can see, these pokemon do have a bit of overlapping roles with both providing hazard removal and switching into big hitters. I feel that having two hazard removal options is almost necessary if I want to consistently get Charizard onto the field, but that could be overkill on my part. The other moves, Lava Plume and Yawn, I have selected are to harm switches as I feel most people expect Torkoal to be more passive and thus a free set up opportunity.

:sv/brute bonnet:
Brute Bonnet @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Sucker Punch
- Tera Blast
- Spore

This is a set that I picked up here on the forums that I tweaked slightly for UU. The 52 speed EVs is enough to outspeed neutral Ttar (which thinking about it now, I'm not entirely sure is even worth it tbh) and allow for even more HP investment which allows Brute Bonnet to take even super effective hits comfortably and respond back with Spore. While Sucker Punch shuts down Gengar, I'm sort mixed about it as the prevalence of Physic Terrain teams has me leaning towards maybe swapping in Crunch to deal with Polteageist. Tera Fire works wonderfully as it provides both offensive and defensive utility for a Grass/Dark physical attacker, especially in the sun.

:sv/charizard:
Charizard @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Overheat
- Solar Beam
- Dragon Pulse

The tactical nuke of the team. With Specs Charizard is able to break through quite a few Fire resists like Iron Thorns. I've chosen to run Dragon Pulse over Focus Blast as there isn't any Dark types in the tier that aren't weak to either Fire or Grass and the only normal types are frail enough to hit with neutral attacks. While Dragon Pulse allows Charizard to chunk the Dragon types at the top of the tier. I've considered running Charcoal/Wise Glasses/Expert Belt, in theory it would allow me to make up for the lack of sheer power by being able to target weaknesses but would leave Charizard even more underpowered outside of sun and potentially unable to to break some pokemon even in the sun.

:sv/talonflame:
Talonflame @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Roost

I sort of use Talonflame just as sort of a multi-tool, but I think that's what everyone does with the birb. It can remove hazards, act as a decent tank in a pinch, and severely threaten physical attackers from the bench. In terms of moves, Brave Bird is fine but I am curious if anyone would recommend me to take Flare Blitz instead due to the sun. I am worried about overloading on the amount of Fire type moves I'm using as I already use them on two and half pokemon.

:sv/sandy shocks:
Sandy Shocks @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 48 HP / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch
- Spikes

This set sacrifices power to turn into an extremely fast pivot, able to outspeed stuff like any Modest Gengar and +2 Modest Polteageist in the sun. Similar to Torkoal, Sandy Shocks is able to do some work off of opponents switching with Spikes and the ever annoying Discharge. This guy along with Slither Wing form the Voltturn core of the team with the general goal being to safely set up Charizard or pivot in something that can take a hit.

:sv/slither wing:
Slither Wing @ Protective Pads
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- First Impression
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Wild Charge

Silther Wing honestly feels like an odd one out on this team. It's a good pokemon that generally performs well as a hard hitting physical attacker with priority and U-Turn, but when I see well-built teams it feels as if everything has a defined purpose and role to play while for my team I just have some loose ends of pokemon that are just generally good but doesn't always feel super connected. Anyways, Slither Wing acts a sort of overlap between Brute Bonnet and Sandy Shocks as it can both hit hard and has priority while also offering passable bulk and pivot to set up the rest of the team.

---
So this is my first RMT I've done, I've tried to strike a balance between righting enough to provide important info about my thought process behind the team while not inundating you with stuff you already know and useless fluff. However if I have not provided enough information, please let me know. And of course, anyone who can help me iron out some bugs in this team I'd really appreciate. I'm more than willing to switch out pokemon and sets on this team but I would prefer to not just use a set sample team that someone else made a month ago if that is possible.​

Sulo

shifting stars
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
Hey, you've pretty much got the standard structure for SV UU sun down. However, there are some minor changes that need to be made, and some considerations you can make as well:

:brute-bonnet: -> :espeon:
Espeon @ Eject Button
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Morning Sun
- Yawn
Brute Bonnet doesn't provide much to sun in my honest opinion; it has a terrible defensive typing that's weak to many common attacking moves and therefore makes it weak to a ton of Pokemon, including Grafaiai, Talonflame, Slither Wing, Lucario, Tsareena, etc. Espeon, on the other hand, provides a one-time pivot and can keep off Stealth Rock from walls like Quagsire and Spikes from Gastrodon for the entire team, which is beneficial enough to be considered. Yawn also lets you switch into a wallbrealer like Charizard after being given a free turn.

:talonflame: -> :scovillain:
Scovillain @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Growth
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Protect
Talonflame IS a good Pokemon, but I think the defensive utility it offers can overlap with Charizard in that it staves off Pokemon like Slither Wing and similar Pokemon. Scovillain instead provides another offensive threat to the team that takes advantage of sun very well, breaking through even the bulkiest of special walls at +2. Protect allows it to bypass First Impression from Slither Wing and Lokix, further increasing its potency as a sweeper.

:sandy-shocks:
Sandy Shocks @ Heavy-Duty Boots -> Choice Specs (optional, but I'd heavily recommend this)
Tera Type: Ground -> Ice / Grass (optional)
EVs: 44 HP / 208 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Earth Power
- Discharge -> Thunderbolt
- Spikes -> Tera Blast (optional)
The Sandy Shocks set you have is fine but it just needs Thunderbolt over Discharge. Greater power is just more helpful, and the paralysis isn't worth the drop. Choice Specs can be used for greater power and the ability to break through Pokemon like Wo-Chien or Gastrodon in conjunction with Tera Ice or Grass, respectively.

The rest of the team is fine!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)