National Dex Help? (Nat dex OU)

So apparently this is a thing! Woohoo!
(If I make a mistake sorry, it's my first time doing one of these things)
So I made a team for nat dex, and I've been struggling to find weaknesses in my team so I've been struggling to push as a result. (I'm also kinda bullshit at this game, so if anything I write doesn't make sense, feel free to call me out.) (Also, I suck at EVs, so any help with that would be a godsend.) So without further ado here's my RMT for nat dex OU

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
Ah yes, Magnezone. With the sheer amount of steel-type pokemon in OU to wreak havoc / set up an obscene amount of hazards (looks at Skarmory), I figured that this was the best place to start. The moves are pretty much self-explanatory, with HP fire to destroy grass and steel pokemon like Ferrothorn, and
Rillaboom. Thunderbolt is to mainly hit flying pokemon without actually switching out, and flash cannon for STAB plus the added benefit of destroying fairy types. Volt Switch is mainly for predicted switches, and getting the heck out of bad matchups, like Venusaur. Specs are for the damage output, as scarf IMO is pretty useless considering its base 60 speed.

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 124 Atk / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Mystical Fire
- Stealth Rock
I thought of pokemon that Magnezone paired up pretty well with, and after thinking for a while, I thought about Diancie (mega). Diancie comes with magic bounce, which is a great way to deflect hazards, and status conditions. SR is for hazards, (was debating encore, to abuse the other side's hazards, but there's no guarantee that they are dumb enough to use hazards against you when they see Diancie in team preview.) Moonblast is for STAB and Mystical Fire is for annihilating steel pokemon on predicted switches, but I'm debating switching this out for Earth power.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Scale Shot
Without Earth power on Diancie, and my team mainly comprising of special attackers, I chose Garchomp as my next pokemon, to Sweep after Mag assassinates opposing Fairy and Steel pokemon. Earthquake is for other steel pokemon that they might be left, and fire fang is for grass pokemon like Serperior that resist Earthquake and can live through a Scale Shot, Swords dance and Scaleshot is basically dragon dance in two turns. Jolly nature is chosen to capitalize on that sweet 102 speed, which outspeeds anything at a base 100.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
After thinking for a bit, I realized that all of my pokemon suffered from priority, (Diancie from bullet punch, and water shuriken, and Garchomp from anything like grassy glide after a few scale shots) So I chose Tapu Lele to set up terrain, as well as revenge kill things that hurt my team, mainly key targets like Ash-Greninja after transformation, and Heatran, cuz lets face it, Heatran is CRACKED in nat dex rn. Psyshock for STAB, as well as hitting more specially defensive Pokemon, such as Rillaboom. Shadow ball is for the ghost coverage because my team has absolutely nothing for ghost right now. (Also only hitting one thing NVE is always good). Focus Blast is for predicted steel type switch-ins, such as Heatran, and Kartana. Moonblast is for Fairy type STAB because without the specs, or a z crystal, Tapu is kinda weak. (and I figured that STAB is the equivalent of specs.)

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Defog
After thinking for a long while, I realized that Rotom would be perfect for my team, as it gives coverage for some of the things that my team is kinda bad against. Hydro Pump hits ground-type pokemon well, which is a good thing, considering that my team basically gets countered by scarfed Lando T and other common Ground pokemon like Excadrill. (Excadrill is a very big problem for my team because STAB iron head fucks both Diancie and Lele, Earthquake is basically a nuke against Magnezone, and the occasional toxic variant will basically neuter Garchomp) another plus is that it can handle Toxapex well, with its STAB volt turn, and the ability to take scald burns well. Defog is for hazard control, as levitate makes it immune to spikes, and the rare toxic spikes team. Pain split is for recovery, albeit a little flawed.
Because my Rotom is acting as a defogger, I figured that the passive leftovers recovery would be great on it, and the HP EVs are to take hits better, I put max EVs in speed because I figured any speed is good.

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Outrage
Even with Rotom, my team still suffers from Excadrill (especially rare Mold Breaker variants), and other ground pokemon like Lando T and it lacks physical attackers. Since I used my mega slot on Diancie, I used the Moxie set, which is because I needed 1. an end game sweeper, and 2. because I didn't have a good Z-crystal user. (also hitting grass pokemon for SE damage isn't bad.) The rest is then basic, Bounce to abuse the Flyinium Z and waterfall for STAB and the ability to hit ground types. Outrage is for the surprise factor, as well as dealing an obscene amount of damage.

So yeah, that's it, and thanks for reading. Any help is appreciated, and I respect anyone who took like 10 minutes out of their day to read this.

adem

her
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello friend Kindarandomig , your team has a great start to it, although there are quite a few overlaps and defensive holes in your team that can be fixed with some minor changes. I had built two versions of this, because I felt that the team can be taken in both directions.

Original team: :magnezone: :diancie-mega: :garchomp: :tapu-lele: :rotom-wash: :gyarados:

Version 1

I decided to keep the offensive core of :diancie-mega: :garchomp: :tapu-lele: as i feel they are quite solid, and changed the other 3 to form a more solid defensive backbone.

Major Changes

:magnezone: > :heatran:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 180 SpD / 72 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Taunt
- Heavy Slam
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

SpDef Heavy Slam Heatran functions as a great start to your defensive backbone, and a check to the likes of Calm Mind Clefable, Tapu Lele, and Serperior, all of which maul you. Heavy Slam is specifically for Calm Mind Clefable, as that completely shreds your team otherwise. The EVs are to outspeed Mega Scizor, 2HKO Calm Mind Clefable, with the rest in SpDef to improve its bulk. It also lets you check the likes of Banded Rillaboom, which can also overwhelm your previous team as well as the next Pokemon im going to add…

:gyarados: > :zapdos:

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave

Zapdos provides a check to Mega Lopunny and Mega Medicham, as well as soft check SD Rillaboom and Banded Kartana variants. It also provides a much needed fighting resist as Gyarados really didnt do much for the team, and lacking recovery sucked a lot, as it couldnt even threaten most things back. 3A Zapdos is a threatening breaker as well, due to how hard its coverage is to switch into, as well as its solid SpAt stat. It also doubles as a check to faster, more offensive Mega Scizor variants, who could beat the initial Magnezone you had on your previous team + the Heatran we currently have.

:rotom-wash: > :tapu-fini:

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 12 SpA / 40 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Taunt
- Moonblast

Defog Tapu Fini here is a much better Pokemon compared to Rotom Wash, due to its ability to also check Ash Greninja very well, which Rotom Wash is unable to. While it loses out on the pivoting capabilities, it gains the ability to be a much more reliable defogger instead, and synergises amazingly with Zapdos. It also functions as a secondary check to Heatran, as the faster Rotom set you used is unabke to check it after 1 switch in, or loses in general to Z Sets. Furthermore, it also provides much needed Status immunity to Garchomp, which can let it break much easier.

Minor Changes

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 124 Atk / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Mystical Fire
- Stealth Rock -> Earth Power

Mega Diancie is a solid Rocker, although not running Earth Power means it cant consistently force out Heatran and Magnezone, so I moved Stealth Rocks onto Garchomp instead, and opted for a All out Attacking set on Diancie.

Garchomp @ Life Orb > Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang > Stone Edge
- Scale Shot > Stealth Rock

Rock Z Garchomp is a terrifying breaker here, basically guaranteeing that Stealth Rocks are up, and togethe with Diancie, form a Psuedo Rock-type offensive core, pressuring their shared checks extremely well.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature > Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball > Psychic
- Focus Blast

Unfortunately, you cannot afford a Modest nature on Scarf Lele’s in Natdex due to the plethora of things sitting at its speed tier that you just miss out on, such as Kyurem (if knocked or the rare scarf), +1 Mega Garchomp, and Scarf Lando T. Shadow Ball is also a generally useless move, really only hitting Jirachi, which is extremely uncommon, and due to the fact that its scarf its still going to be hilariously weak. The few viable ghost types are Mega Sableye, Gengar, Blacephalon, and Aegislash. The first three is hit better by its STABs and the last is extremely uncommon, and even then is dealt with by your other Pokemon (Heat Wave Zapdos, Earth Power Diancie, Earthquake Garchomp, Magma / EP Heatran)

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Outrage > Earthquake

Outrage only hits the occasional Kommo-O, which isnt an issue when you have Tapu Lele, while Earthquake gives you a strong spammable coverage option as well as a way to bust through Toxapex without needing to pop the Z Move.

Finalised team: :diancie-mega: :tapu-lele: :garchomp: :zapdos: :tapu-fini: :heatran:

Version 2

In this version I decided to make this into more of a HO (Hyper Offense) team, focusing more on the core of :garchomp: :gyarados: :tapu-lele:

Major Changes

:magnezone: > :mew:

Mew @ Red Card
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Misty Explosion

Trapping isnt really that needed now on this HO team and it just slows down momentum, Dual hazards lead Mew give the team a really solid lead, as all of your teammates appreciate their checks being chipped by Hazards. It also has Taunt to prevent Hazards on your own side, for your Gyarados. I chose this over other HO leads as I felt you didnt need a breaker in Lando T or desperate Anti Hazards like Excadrill, and more so preferred the combination of both hazards for maximum chip potential.

:diancie-mega: > :volcarona:

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower

The core currently is extremely weak to the likes of Serperior, Rillaboom, and Weavile, and the best HO Pokemon that solves this issue is Volcarona. It also doubles as a solid cleaner and wincondition once its teammates have broken through. I felt that the breaking power of Psychic Z or Life Orb isnt really needed here, and I didnt want to over rely on hazards being off, so I opted for Boots. Buzz is here over Psychic as I dont really have any issues with Toxapex and I would rather Buzz to eliminate Lati for my Garchomp. HP Ground is chosen here to support our next newest member sweep…

:rotom-wash: > :serperior:

Serperior @ Rocky Helmet / Leppa Berry
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 40 HP / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

TauntSynth Serp is a menace on HO, and one of my personal favourite sets. This set lets it practically 6-0 normal stall teams, as the combination of Taunt + Synth let it shut down Would-be checks like Chansey and Unaware Clefable. Rocky Helmet allows you to break Chansey better, and Leppa Berry means playing around your Leaf Storms and wasting your Synths is a hard task. This + Volcarona is a amazing offensive core, and works really well on most standard HOs.

Minor Changes

Garchomp @ Life Orb > Garchompite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Scale Shot

Mega Garchomp works much better here, as now the Mega Slot is freed, so the added bulk and breaking power will be much more appreciated, as it helps Gyarados win better, or vice versa. An Adamant nature can also be used, although that is more if a preference thing.

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Outrage > Earthquake

As mentioned before, Outrage only hits the occasional Kommo-O, which isnt an issue when you have Tapu Lele, while Earthquake gives you a strong spammable coverage option as well as a way to bust through Toxapex without needing to pop the Z Move.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature > Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball > Psychic
- Focus Blast

As mentioned earlier, you cannot afford a Modest nature on Scarf Lele’s in Natdex due to the plethora of things sitting at its speed tier that you just miss out on, such as Kyurem (if knocked or the rare scarf), +1 Mega Garchomp, and Scarf Lando T. Shadow Ball is also a generally useless move, really only hitting Jirachi, which is extremely uncommon, and due to the fact that its scarf its still going to be hilariously weak. The few viable ghost types are Mega Sableye, Gengar, Blacephalon, and Aegislash. The first three is hit better by its STABs and the last is extremely uncommon, and even then is dealt with by your other Pokemon (Heat Wave Zapdos, HP Fire Serperior, Earthquake Gyarados, Earthquake Garchomp, Flame / HP Ground Volcarona)

Finalised team: :mew: :garchomp-mega: :gyarados: :tapu-lele: :volcarona: :serperior:

Hope you like both teams I made, it was really fun rating this team as Gyarados + Garchomp is a super fun HO core, as well as Dia cie + Scarf Lele as a BO core. Have fun with them^^

ps
I have no clue how to add the cool gifs and images. :c
its :pokemon: for the images, and :ss/pokemon: for the models, so for example :

Code:
:garchomp:
would give me :garchomp:

and
Code:
:ss/garchomp:
would give me :ss/garchomp:

:rotom-wash: > :serperior:

Serperior @ Rocky Helmet / Leppa Berry
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 40 HP / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

TauntSynth Serp is a menace on HO, and one of my personal favourite sets. This set lets it practically 6-0 normal stall teams, as the combination of Taunt + Synth let it shut down Would-be checks like Chansey and Unaware Clefable. Rocky Helmet allows you to break Chansey better, and Leppa Berry means playing around your Leaf Storms and wasting your Synths is a hard task. This + Volcarona is a amazing offensive core, and works really well on most standard HOs.
Out of curiosity, is there anything remotely viable that could replace serp, because I'm actually using this team for a competition on a pixelmon server, and HA sniy is a nightmare to get, if there's nothing, It's fine, but if you could find something like that that would be very poggers. Also, thanks for the help! I've won significantly more games with the HO team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)