Battle Stadium Help me with my sun team

I've been testing and tweaking my singles team and trying to work my way up to Masterball Rank, but I'm stuck around rank 8. I've won 43/107 games so far.

My team is Kartana, Groudon, and Venusaur.

https://pokepast.es/86a952e9523c633e

Kartana @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

Kartana sets up with a Swords Dance, takes a hit, then starts sweeping with one HP left. It can't handle sandstorms, burns, or Pokemon that are faster than it like Regieleki or Cinderace.

Groudon @ Eject Button
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Spd / 128 Def
Careful Nature
- Brick Break
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Rest

If I know that Kartana can't handle a Pokemon or it gets knocked out, I send in Groudon to set up the sun. As soon as it gets hit, I bring in Venusaur with the Eject Button.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Growth
- Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb

Sun boosted Venusaur can outspeed basically anything unless they've set up air stream or tailwind. I put the Pokemon to sleep, use growth for the +2 SpA, then Gigantimax it and start using Max Ooze to raise my SpA further or G-Max Vine Whip to set up some additional damage per turn.

When it works, it works great, but Pokemon like Zapdos can easily sweep my team if they Dynamax at a smart moment and start using Air Stream. Mimikyu is also a problem. What would you recommend I change?

Last edited:
Could you post three more mons for this team this forum is for whole teams otherwise it's too hard to rate.

Precipece Blades is better on Groudon, 15 acc for 20 BP so it's a positive trade.

I'm not convinced about the whole premise tbh. Venusaur has only ever been ok, and using your one legend mostly just to set it up seems like a waste. The legend should be respected it's not a set up mon like Grimmsnarl imo.

Also make sure it's Cholorphyll Venu.

Could you post three more mons for this team this forum is for whole teams otherwise it's too hard to rate.

Precipece Blades is better on Groudon, 15 acc for 20 BP so it's a positive trade.

I'm not convinced about the whole premise tbh. Venusaur has only ever been ok, and using your one legend mostly just to set it up seems like a waste. The legend should be respected it's not a set up mon like Grimmsnarl imo.

Also make sure it's Cholorphyll Venu.
Thanks. That's a really good point. I've been throwing in other Pokemon at random into the group of six to throw off the other side's picks, but I always use those three when actually selecting for the match. That might be part of the problem, tbh.

I looked at Pikalytics and the majority of Groudon are actually Heat Rock so I think having it play the role of sun setter is OK. But not w/ Eject Button. It should run either Heat Crash or Fire Punch to use the sun itself.

You should try to add 3 more mons, or they will lock this thread. A good fire resist(2x weak to fire mons and Groudon takes sun-boosted damage still,) and an Ice resist(2 weak to ice,) seems necessary. Maybe Gastrodon it shows up as a common teammate for Groudon and Venu. Or most any water for ex. Tapu Fini. Something to handle Eternatus(Venu can't touch it, Kartana is outseped and OHKOd, and Groudon still takes heavy damage despite maybe being good vs. it.) Blissey may work, and it has special bulk which your team lacks as Kartana and Groudon both have lower SpD. Then imo just Ditto it's super splashable in the current meta w/ legends to copy..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)