Project heat

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Credit to dex who passed me this set in our Cap PL chat.

:clefable:

Clefable @ Kee Berry
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Stored Power
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Berry that activates on getting hit with physical attack as a late game win-con. Benefit of running it over Cosmic Power is to allow more firepower from Moonblast through Calm Mind. Further questions ask dex lol.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1387643244-l663ag9m6uyv7dq4pxakiavydzcn525pw - Turn 26 is when it's used on Ferro using Gyro once I've opened a path for Clef to not be bothered by Tini/Lele/Fini.

Last edited:
1627930093672.png

If you really hate stall, then use pangoro...
Pangoro @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Swords Dance
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pangoro Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 424-499 (107.6 - 126.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pangoro Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 376-445 (94.2 - 111.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pangoro Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 72 Def Toxapex: 289-341 (95 - 112.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pangoro Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 308-363 (92.2 - 108.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pangoro Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 433-511 (109.8 - 129.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Buzzwole dies to future sight because toxapex doesn't get to set screens.

I use on hail. Good on any team where you overload unawares, dark resist, or birds. The scrappy sets are so-so, if you ask me. use urshifu instead of those.
:pangoro::ninetales-alola::arctozolt::mamoswine::slowking::skarmory:
https://pokepast.es/ad554de9d3358566

:Xatu:
Xatu @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 244 HP / 240 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magic Room
- Teleport
- Light Screen
- Roost

Pair this with taunt+roar Koko on semi stall. Good way to force damage vs boots spam.

Last edited:
Here are a bunch of sets from my builder. These are (mostly) not memes. They have all been on teams at least to 1600 and some as high as 1850+. I hope these can offer inspiration. https://pokepast.es/25cf950c2f632ef1
:Aegislash:Automize + Destiny Bond:Gengar:Nasty Plot + Taunt
:Buzzwole:Offensive Metronome:Victini:Trick Room + Life Orb (offensive teams)
:Hydreigon:Fire Spin:Zapdos-Galar:Substitute + Bulk Up
:Salazzle:Nasty Plot + Toxic:Kommo-O:SD + Scale Shot Adamant Life Orb
:Mamoswine:Substitute Metronome:Nihilego:Mirror Coat + Stealth Rock
:Excadrill:SD Metronome:Primarina:Echoed Voice Metronome
:Mew:Nasty Plot, Swords Dance:Zarude:SpDef Bulk Up
:Slowbro-Galar:Calm Mind w/ Scald:Zygarde-10%:Glare Lead
:Marowak-Alola:Belly Drum (trick room):SirfetchSD + Leek
:Mienshao:Choice Band:Porygon2:any set. super underrated
:Roserade:SpDef Spikes + Rest:Barbaracle:Sniper Shell Smash
:Blastoise:Substitute Smash (on rain):Celebi:Nasty Plot Weather Ball
:Zoroark:U-Turn + Knock Off (Torn-T impostor):Articuno-Galar:Agility Stored Power
:Sandaconda:Glare Lead (Sand HO):Scrafty:Bulk Up + Amnesia
:Centiskorch:SpDef Heatran Pivot:Qwilfish:SD Explosion (rain teams)
:silvally-ground: (Ground)252 SpA Ice Beam (THE lando lure):Araquanid:Specs Hydro Pump (stronger than volcanion)

Sandslash-Alola @ Chople Berry

Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature

- Swords Dance
- Triple Axel
- Earthquake

- Iron Head / Rapid Spin

everyone is on the hail hype train (which is amazing) and keep using arctozolt because it wrecks stuff. here's the greatest counter ever to hail teams: alolan sandslash. ninetales sets up the hail and from then this fella just kills everything. at +2 every common member of a modern hail team gets dropped. magnezone, mandibuzz, kyurem, scarf lele (which this outspeeds even if it runs timid), spdef lando-t (which is outspeed even outside of hail) and ofc ninetales is demolished by iron head and zolt drops to a +2 eq while not being able to kill with low kick thanks to the chople berry. the only way for a hail team to remove this thing is rkilling it outside of hail with scarf lele or kyurem. rapid spin can be used over iron head to prevent this from happening and also gives sandslash a useful layer of utility for its own hail team due to hazard removal being appreciated by ninetales. anyway, if hail teams are troubling you, load this up and destroy their will to live. without iron head, lele still drops to axel and kyurem doesn't need excessive chip damage to be brought into range.

Back at it again with another anti-hail measure (s/o to Yellow Paint for showcasing alolawak in the SS OU Victim of the week thread)

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 8 HP / 232 Atk / 236 SpD / 32 Spe

Careful Nature
- Poltergeist

- Fire Punch
- Bonemerang (or Earthquake)

- Pain Split

At first, I liked the idea of a purely defensive alolawak with boots and perish spin knock and stuff like that, but it didn't sound quite good to me because alolawak is really powerful and doesn't actually check too many things to warrant such a defensive profile. however, what alolawak does well is counter the new star arctozolt. with lightning rod, it nullifies bolt beak and is immune to low kick, so it only takes damage from blizzard/freeze dry (no one uses and should use stomping tantrum anyway). by using thick club however alolawak loses the ability to run boots, so defensive calcs need to somewhat take into consideration scenarios when rocks are up. this spread allows for maximum pain split value, minimum stealth rock damage and enough special defense to not only counter tapu koko like little else, but also live 3 whole blizzards counting a round of stealth rocks and two of hail.
in a game, you can be forced to switch into zolt with rocks up and take a blizzard + hail + rocks. if you manage to remove rocks (which you should fam u're using alolawak outside of trick room), you then can switch in again into blizzard, take it + hail and then live the other one like a champ (although you die to hail if you don't pain split or smth but hey that's asking too much and this still gives two free turns to alolawak against hail which is very bad for the hail user).

20 SpA Arctozolt Blizzard vs. 8 HP / 236+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 46-55 (17.4 - 20.9%) -- 0.9% chance to 4HKO after hail damage
Possible damage amounts: (46, 47, 48, 48, 48, 49, 50, 51, 51, 51, 52, 53, 53, 54, 54, 55)

the maths is simple: stealth rock is 25% and a single round of hail is 6%, which means there's a grand total of 25+6+6=37% of passive damage alone. the remaining 63% is what you have to fit in 3 blizzards and 20.9% is just below the threshold of 63:3=21. this is of course assuming that blizzard always gets a high roll and also always lands the correct prediction. on average, this alolawak takes 94.7% from 3 blizzards, 2 hail turns and a stealth rock turn, but in the worst possible scenario it takes 99.7%.

onto the moves, fire punch + poltergeist are obligatory stabs because i dont want to deal with blitz recoil and poltergeist is stupidly powerful. ground coverage comes down to personal preference or just if you team has grassy terrain or not. bonemerang also has the added, not to be underestimated benefit of smacking arctozolt even from behind a sub.

232 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arctozolt: 340-400 (105.9 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

if the arctozolt user doesn't account for bonemerang and stays in from behind a sub, it will remain at below 25% which means it can't sub no more and is vulnerable to multiple priority moves, making it a lot easier to check. 90% accuracy is meh but i really support the idea of using this in grassy terrain for extra recovery so i actually prefer bonemerang.

pain split messes with switchins because alolawak's uninvested hp is 263 which is really low and also keeps it healthy somewhat
speed in the spread is to creep melmetal evd to outspeed hippowdon by a couple points.
this set also makes tapu koko cry and gives alolawak the ability to survive nutty stuff in a pinch, like magmastorm into ep from heatran which does exactly 99.9% max (25.4% magma storm + 13% trapping damage + 61.5% from earth power) and doing well vs volc, living two +1 psychic and 3 +0 psychic from bulkarona. alolawak also abuses any clefable lacking knock off or trick and in general is pretty difficult to switch into.

DISCLAIMER: if mods want me to blend this post with the previous one, let me know, I'll do it immediately

Last edited:

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hey there, here to feature another cool set, have fun reading.

zapdos.gif

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 40 SpA / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Roost
- Hurricane

Zapdos is very interesting because it’s one of the few defensive Pokemon in the tier who also has a good offensive presence. Indeed, 125 Spa coupled with 100 Speed can make this thing pretty threatening, even with only a few offensive investments.

I didn’t come up with the idea behind this set, but I saw someone use this on the SS OU ladder, and I came up with a spread for this moveset. Even, if you lose some of Zapdos defensive utility, as you can’t Defog away hazards anymore, this set can make use of Zapdos impressive Spa Stat while still keeping in check annoying physical breakers like Kartana. Substitute alongside with Pressure allows you to PP-stall passive Pokemon and low PP moves. Charge Beam is a rather weak Electric STAB but comes with a great chance of boosting Zapdos Spa, allowing it to fire boosted Hurricane.

As for the spread, the 24 EVs in Speed allow you to reach 242 and outspeed the common 241 Speed Landorus-T as well as things like Magnezone, Bisharp and Volcanion with a non-Speed-boosting nature. The defensive investments allow your Subtitute to take a Knock Off from Defensive Landorus-T when you still have your Leftovers, so that you can freely setup your Substitute on it and start pressuring the opposing team. The rest is put in SpA to improve a bit your damage output and may be useful to get kills on some offensive Pokemon like Dragapult when you are at +1 and Rocks are up.

View attachment 368111
Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 40 SpA / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Roost
- Hurricane
This set looks really fun. I’m planning to build around it later and pair it with either Body Press or Heavy Slam Heatran to bait Tyranitar and Blissey. Heavy Slam is also nice against Calm Mind Clefable, which this set otherwise struggles with.

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
It’s been a minute since I’ve been here, but I’ve got some cool sets here, hope y’all like em.

:ss/uxie:
Screens Uxie

Uxie @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly / Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock / Future Sight / Knock Off / Thunder Wave / Yawn

Throughout its life, Uxie hasn't been a particularly amazing pick. It has always had competition from other Psychic-type Pokemon such as Azelf in DPP, Reuniclus in BW, and so on and so forth. However, I have been testing Uxie with this set recently and it has been proving to be a success. Uxie has amazing traits as a screen setter. It’s bulk is very good, and it has a very solid Speed tier. It also has a ton of variation with what it can do besides from it. I generally suggest Stealth Rock, since they’re very valuable, even in a Boots meta. Future Sight is cool for giving things even more offensive pressure, Knock Off can permanently cripple something that is very reliant on its item, Thunder Wave allows its team mates some more entries as well as easier time cleaning, and Yawn, although pretty gimmick, is great at forcing switches.

The main reason I found this set was because of a dare by someone in OU chat to use a really cool and fun set, which is…

:ss/regidrago:

Sub DD Regidrago

Regidrago @ Leftovers
Ability: Dragon's Maw
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Scale Shot / Dragon Claw
- Thunder Fang

This is legitimately one of the coolest sets I have used in this frankly lame generation. The idea is to sub up behind screens, set up one or two Dragon Dances depending on the opponent, and just sweep / clean. Regidrago’s Substitutes are colossal, taking hits like a Slowtwin’s Scald or a Corviknight’s Brave Bird (if they don’t crit ._.) solidly. Thunder Fang was chosen as the coverage option as a blanket option for not only the Steel birds, but the Slowtwins, Toxapex, Tapu Fini, etc. A STAB is for abusing Dragon’s Maw, a hilarious ability that makes it’s boosted Scale Shot / Dragon Claw absolutely bonkers. I probably recommend Dragon Claw, as it is more consistent and sometimes more powerful than Scale Shot, but Scale Shot can also further boost its Speed, which can be useful against teams with say, a Dragapult that can potentially revenge kill Regidrago.

(edit: s/o to sucking lemons on ps for this, idk his smogon)

THE TEAM

:uxie: :regidrago: :necrozma: :gengar: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :weavile:

Uxie @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Regidrago @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Scale Shot
- Thunder Fang

Necrozma @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Photon Geyser
- Heat Wave

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Trick

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- U-turn

Weavile @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard

REPLAYS (don’t mind the low ladder…)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1411882642 - Uxie comes back mid game and sets up for Regidrago to sweep. Opponent gave up.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1411878192 - Uxie takes a sleep for its team mates, and sacks itself later for what would have been a Weavile sweep. Also Necrozma behind screens doesn’t die.​

Last edited:
It’s been a minute since I’ve been here, but I’ve got some cool sets here, hope y’all like em.

:ss/uxie:
Screens Uxie

Uxie @ Light Clay
Jolly / Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock / Future Sight / Knock Off / Thunder Wave / Yawn

Throughout its life, Uxie hasn't been a particularly amazing pick. It has always had competition from other Psychic-type Pokemon such as Azelf in DPP, Reuniclus in BW, and so on and so forth. However, I have been testing Uxie with this set recently and it has been proving to be a success. Uxie has amazing traits as a screen setter. It’s bulk is very good, and it has a very solid Speed tier. It also has a ton of variation with what it can do besides from it. I generally suggest Stealth Rock, since they’re very valuable, even in a Boots meta. Future Sight is cool for giving things even more offensive pressure, Knock Off can permanently cripple something that is very reliant on its item, Thunder Wave allows its team mates some more entries as well as easier time cleaning, and Yawn, although pretty gimmick, is great at forcing switches.

The main reason I found this set was because of a dare by someone in OU chat to use a really cool and fun set, which is…

:ss/regidrago:

Sub DD Regidrago

Regidrago @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Scale Shot / Dragon Claw
- Thunder Fang

This is legitimately one of the coolest sets I have used in this frankly lame generation. The idea is to sub up behind screens, set up one or two Dragon Dances depending on the opponent, and just sweep / clean. Regidrago’s Substitutes are colossal, taking hits like a Slowtwin’s Scald or a Corviknight’s Brave Bird (if they don’t crit ._.) solidly. Thunder Fang was chosen as the coverage option as a blanket option for not only the Steel birds, but the Slowtwins, Toxapex, Tapu Fini, etc. A STAB is for abusing Dragon’s Maw, a hilarious ability that makes it’s boosted Scale Shot / Dragon Claw absolutely bonkers. I probably recommend Dragon Claw, as it is more consistent and sometimes more powerful than Scale Shot, but Scale Shot can also further boost its Speed, which can be useful against teams with say, a Dragapult that can potentially revenge kill Regidrago.

THE TEAM

:uxie: :regidrago: :necrozma: :gengar: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :weavile:

Uxie @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Regidrago @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Scale Shot
- Thunder Fang

Necrozma @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Photon Geyser
- Heat Wave

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Trick

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- U-turn

Weavile @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard

REPLAYS (don’t mind the low ladder…)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1411882642 - Uxie comes back mid game and sets up for Regidrago to sweep. Opponent gave up.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1411878192 - Uxie takes a sleep for its team mates, and sacks itself later for what would have been a Weavile sweep. Also Necrozma behind screens doesn’t die.​
regidrago is a really cool mon to consider, but I would like to add another move to consider, as I found thunder fang to be kinda weak myself, even with dd boosts. The other move is explosion, as neutral explosion is as almost twice as strong as a super effective thunder fang, and even on metal birds which resist explosion and are weak to thunder fang, the difference is minimal. The gameplay is something like this: their tapu fini or clef comes in, you dragon dance. You can take even their fairy coverage once and dd again. At this point explosion will OHKO them most likely, unless unaware clefable, but even that will still take a decent chunk. Another plus with explosion is that it gives you a free switch. This is especially useful when regidrago is combined with a mon that shares checks with it, lets say weavile which doesn't like running into tapu fini but can otherwise sweep, you lure tapu fini in, explode and then the way is clear for weavile. I'd say that this tempo grab is especially great for HO teams like yours.

Looking through the teambuilder looking for heat as usual, and I came across Sigilyph. Now we all know that Sigilyph was actually a niche OU pick pre-DLC, and I wanted to explore it again to look for a fun set. So Introducing..

sigilyph.gif

Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psycho Shift
- Roost
- Defog / Whirlwind
- Ice Beam / Air Slash

Psycho Shift Sigilyph is something I always wondered about since I started on showdown during X and Y. A move that not only applies your status to the opponent, but removes it from yourself sounds very fun. Giving Sigilyph this combo can result in some really clutch scenarios where you burn your opponents threats like Weavile who thought they were safe to switch in. This move/item combo is basically like a ScarfTrick of sorts, but it can be used over and over again, possibly burning your entire opponents physical attackers. Roost is the only other REQUIRED move as Sigilyph will need to heal off hits over time. Defog can be run to let Sigilyph act as a status spreader and a defogger, but whirlwind is also an excellent option to force non-preferable switch-ins from actually getting in. The last move is basically just a move used to prevent yourself from being completely passive. Ice Beam hits the obvious Lando, Chomp, Dnite, Torn, ect. Air Slash is just a STAB that can be used if you don't need ice beams coverage, and can take on things like Kartana, Scizor and Rilla better if you need those matchups, but most of the time Psycho Shift can do that job.

While Sigilyph's defensive spread may not be great, I believe it's good enough to live the hits it wants to. Scarf and +0 Life Orb Kartana Knock Offs, Banded and +0 Life Orb Rillaboom Knock Off, DIB from non-Banded Melmetal, and pretty much any hit from any pokemon not running attack investment like Defensive Lando-T Knock Off not even being able to 2HKO. It's in no means the best option for your team, its a niche at best, but burning incoming Weaviles or just forcing burn chip on Pult's that switch in can change the entire game. Fun mon to play with, highly suggest if you're looking to have some stupid kinds of fun.

[Gen 8] OU replay: Cabbage Goddess vs. EndrismTEST - Pokémon Showdown (pokemonshowdown.com) Heres a replay where I burn a Weavile Turn 3.​

+

AgiliGross + Koko Screens

So, I really like using unconventional wincons, and I also really like using Screens HO. I decided to try Weakness Policy Agiligross expecting a total meme but instead I got a surprisingly potent and unexpected chad. You set up screens and rocks, and after a little chip on the metagame's most common defensive mainstays you can sweep. It's SO easy to get weakness policy off against things like Lando T EQ (who can't get Intimidate off because of Clear Body) so you can basically bait it in with Koko and U-Turn out on it once screens are up. The EV's are so you outrun Zeraora after Agility, with added bulk to tank hits a little better.

OFFENSIVE:
+2 252+ Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Landorus-Therian: 279-328 (73 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 361-426 (94.5 - 111.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 262-310 (86.1 - 101.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Metagross Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 276-326 (69.1 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Metagross Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight in Electric Terrain: 362-426 (90.7 - 106.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 582-686 (147.7 - 174.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Clefable: 290-344 (73.6 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Metagross Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Slowking: 442-522 (112.1 - 132.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Metagross Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 210-248 (62.8 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 204-241 (50.4 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

DEFENSIVE:
0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Metagross through Reflect: 118-141 (35.8 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Metagross through Reflect: 142-168 (43.1 - 51%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Metagross through Reflect: 147-174 (44.6 - 52.8%) -- 23.4% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 112 HP / 0 SpD Metagross through Light Screen: 148-175 (44.9 - 53.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after trapping damage
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Metagross through Reflect: 191-226 (58 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 112 HP / 0 SpD Metagross through Light Screen: 202-238 (61.3 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Weavile Knock Off vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Metagross through Reflect: 132-156 (40.1 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Infiltrator Pult still fucks you, but yeah. As you can see Metagross has ample opportunities to proc WP and can also take a lot of Super effective hits rather comfortably. Additionally Metagross resists rocks and most forms of priority and is immune to Toxic and Intimidate which is fucking everywhere. Give it a try you might be suprised, but again I want to stress this is only really workable on Screens HO.

Raikou the resident rain enthusiast here to add some spice! I see a lot of people talking crap on Showdown about how rain teams are bad because they are all identical. That's because people use all the same mons!!! I have dozens of different sets in my builder that are not "standard" for rain so I'll drop more of them as soon as I can get more replays. For now, here is the first batch of mons I've used pretty extensively and have replays for.

1632033640522.png

Seismitoad @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Weather Ball
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind

The best Swift Swimmer in the game. It has similar damage output than Skewda, better bulk and you won't kill yourself with LO recoil. 90% of the time just click Weather ball. Scald is for vs. Sand. Icy Wind to slow down Dragons.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Seismitoad Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp in Rain: 345-406 (96.6 - 113.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Seismitoad Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele in Rain: 268-316 (95.3 - 112.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

1632033879514.png

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Thunder
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost

Static is delicious. This beats Rilla and Kart. Reliably. Both of them. Stop focusing so much on attacking when Zapdos in rain walls half the physical attackers in the tier. Relaxed nature lets you Roost or Pivot all day on Lando so you can bring in the big guns. Thundercane is lit so enjoy it.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Kartana Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 282-333 (73.6 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos in Grassy Terrain: 162-192 (42.2 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

1632034233275.png

Tapu Lele @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Calm Mind

Busted mon that shits on stall.

252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Psychic Fangs vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex in Psychic Terrain: 204-242 (67.1 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

1632034398588.png

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Knock Off / Dual Wingbeat

The best Scizor set. You can't beat Rilla without the Band. Checks Kyurem just fine lay Stealth Rock with Ferro first. If you have Crawdaunt on the team don't use Knock, go with the wings.

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Buzzwole: 536-632 (128.2 - 151.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

1632034784315.png

Lanturn @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam

Pisses off electric types. This is surprisingly difficult to switch into. 'Pex never respect you so just delete their asses.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Lanturn Thunder vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 306-362 (100.6 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO

1632034961778.png

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Walls Rillaboom and revenge kills Kyurem. The speed tier is nice; gives no fucks about Scarf Lele. Intimidate is underrated because you can drop boots. Pair this with Flash Cannon Magnezone.

252 Atk Life Orb Salamence Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 382-452 (97.6 - 115.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Salamence Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 277-326 (98.5 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

That's all I have for now. Stay tuned!

Attachments

Raikou the resident rain enthusiast here to add some spice! I see a lot of people talking crap on Showdown about how rain teams are bad because they are all identical. That's because people use all the same mons!!! I have dozens of different sets in my builder that are not "standard" for rain so I'll drop more of them as soon as I can get more replays. For now, here is the first batch of mons I've used pretty extensively and have replays for.

View attachment 372996

Seismitoad @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Weather Ball
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind

The best Swift Swimmer in the game. It has similar damage output than Skewda, better bulk and you won't kill yourself with LO recoil. 90% of the time just click Weather ball. Scald is for vs. Sand. Icy Wind to slow down Dragons.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Seismitoad Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp in Rain: 345-406 (96.6 - 113.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Seismitoad Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele in Rain: 268-316 (95.3 - 112.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

View attachment 372998

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Thunder
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost

Static is delicious. This beats Rilla and Kart. Reliably. Both of them. Stop focusing so much on attacking when Zapdos in rain walls half the physical attackers in the tier. Relaxed nature lets you Roost or Pivot all day on Lando so you can bring in the big guns. Thundercane is lit so enjoy it.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Kartana Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 282-333 (73.6 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos in Grassy Terrain: 162-192 (42.2 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

View attachment 373000

Tapu Lele @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Calm Mind

Busted mon that shits on stall.

252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Psychic Fangs vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex in Psychic Terrain: 204-242 (67.1 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

View attachment 373002

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Knock Off / Dual Wingbeat

The best Scizor set. You can't beat Rilla without the Band. Checks Kyurem just fine lay Stealth Rock with Ferro first. If you have Crawdaunt on the team don't use Knock, go with the wings.

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Buzzwole: 536-632 (128.2 - 151.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

View attachment 373003
Lanturn @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam

Pisses off electric types. This is surprisingly difficult to switch into. 'Pex never respect you so just delete their asses.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Lanturn Thunder vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 306-362 (100.6 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO

View attachment 373004
Salamence @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Walls Rillaboom and revenge kills Kyurem. The speed tier is nice; gives no fucks about Scarf Lele. Intimidate is underrated because you can drop boots. Pair this with Flash Cannon Magnezone.

252 Atk Life Orb Salamence Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 382-452 (97.6 - 115.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Salamence Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 277-326 (98.5 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

That's all I have for now. Stay tuned!

Just here to drop in a short heat post about rain:

Poliwrath is surprisingly powerful in rain.
:ss/poliwrath:
Poliwrath @ Mystic Water
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Belly Drum
- Close Combat
- Darkest Lariat/EQ/Encore

the process is quite simple:
1.slow pivot poliwrath into something that is forced to switch
2.belly drum on the switch
3. ???
4. smash everything

If you know how powerful of a breaker shifu-rs is on rain, then it should come as no surprise that a belly drummed up poliwrath on rain is like urshifu-rs from hell on crack, being insanely fast, and hitting like a truck loaded with smaller trucks loaded with bricks. It shares urshifu's typing, which is actually amazing for its role since it resists ice shard, bullet punch and sucker punch, which combined with its very decent for an offensive mon bulk of 90/95/90 makes it actually very hard to revenge kill. Oh and also unlike banded shifu, this guy can swap moves so you can't even exploit it being locked. It can either punch holes in the opposing teams if you bring it out early, or sweep late as necessary.

moves:
1. liquidation is pretty straight forward, spam this move unless you see some reason not to like a very very sturdy resist or absorb
2. cc, 120 bp STAB move coming off a belly drum is pretty bonkers, ngl. Fighting stab is also great for rain teams, as IMO every good rain team needs a way to get rid of ferro that is not barraskewda banded cc, since that is too exploitable
3. belly drum, its what makes the whole set tick, if you get this off you become an utter menace that is almost guaranteed to get a kill(probably several)
4. here is the coverage move: EQ for pex, darkest lariat for bro, encore to make setting up on slow mons easier, you should pick according to what you run into on the ladder most often.

I'm too lazy to calc stuff, but if you don't understand that +6 STAB water moves in rain hurt a lot, then I don't know what to say

it should be noted that stupid monke makes poliwrath cry, but then again it makes a lot of things on rain cry, and it's not that popular lately.
EDIT: it has been brought to my attention that kyurem also makes rain cry, but poliwrath hates stupid rain bullies and so he will make stupid kyurem cry with Close combat(81.3% of the time, if kyurem is full hp)
Also I didn't come up with this, but yoinked it off some dude who owned me on ladder with it a few months back, so shoutouts to some dude on the ladder!

replay(there is only one, since people like making replays private, might add more later if I run into someone who won't make the game private):
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1419996358 - if you look very closely(blink and you'll miss it), you can see poliwrath tearing a whole relatively standard team structure apart with his bare glowed three fingered hands; first coming in on ferro to drum and breaking the necks of chumps torn and kyurem; and even coming back later without a belly drum(!!!!11!!!1!) to finish off ferro and severely damage lando and glowking. It did approx. 80% of my entire team's damage that game.

for closing words I'm just gonna leave a pic of poliwrath after it gets off a belly drum in the rain:
1632082712306.png
(guess this wasn't that short after all)

Last edited:
Just here to drop in a short heat post about rain:

Poliwrath is surprisingly powerful in rain.
:ss/poliwrath:
Poliwrath @ Mystic Water
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Belly Drum
- Close Combat
- Darkest Lariat/EQ/Encore

the process is quite simple:
1.slow pivot poliwrath into something that is forced to switch
2.belly drum on the switch
3. ???
4. smash everything

If you know how powerful of a breaker shifu-rs is on rain, then it should come as no surprise that a belly drummed up poliwrath on rain is like urshifu-rs from hell on crack, being insanely fast, and hitting like a truck loaded with smaller trucks loaded with bricks. It shares urshifu's typing, which is actually amazing for its role since it resists ice shard, bullet punch and sucker punch, which combined with its very decent for an offensive mon bulk of 90/95/90 makes it actually very hard to revenge kill. Oh and also unlike banded shifu, this guy can swap moves so you can't even exploit it being locked. It can either punch holes in the opposing teams if you bring it out early, or sweep late as necessary.

moves:
1. liquidation is pretty straight forward, spam this move unless you see some reason not to like a very very sturdy resist or absorb
2. cc, 120 bp STAB move coming off a belly drum is pretty bonkers, ngl. Fighting stab is also great for rain teams, as IMO every good rain team needs a way to get rid of ferro that is not barraskewda banded cc, since that is too exploitable
3. belly drum, its what makes the whole set tick, if you get this off you become an utter menace that is almost guaranteed to get a kill(probably several)
4. here is the coverage move: EQ for pex, darkest lariat for bro, encore to make setting up on slow mons easier, you should pick according to what you run into on the ladder most often.

I'm too lazy to calc stuff, but if you don't understand that +6 STAB water moves in rain hurt a lot, then I don't know what to say

it should be noted that stupid monke makes poliwrath cry, but then again it makes a lot of things on rain cry, and it's not that popular lately.
EDIT: it has been brought to my attention that kyurem also makes rain cry, but poliwrath hates stupid rain bullies and so he will make stupid kyurem cry with Close combat(81.3% of the time, if kyurem is full hp)
Also I didn't come up with this, but yoinked it off some dude who owned me on ladder with it a few months back, so shoutouts to some dude on the ladder!

replay(there is only one, since people like making replays private, might add more later if I run into someone who won't make the game private):
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1419996358 - if you look very closely(blink and you'll miss it), you can see poliwrath tearing a whole relatively standard team structure apart with his bare glowed three fingered hands; first coming in on ferro to drum and breaking the necks of chumps torn and kyurem; and even coming back later without a belly drum(!!!!11!!!1!) to finish off ferro and severely damage lando and glowking. It did approx. 80% of my entire team's damage that game.

for closing words I'm just gonna leave a pic of poliwrath after it gets off a belly drum in the rain:
View attachment 373142(guess this wasn't that short after all)
Do you lose any KOs by running Sitrus Berry > Mystic Water? Belly Drum into Sitrus range leaves you with enough HP to eat things like Garchomp EQ, Specs Pult SB and even Kyurem Freeze Dry isn't a guaranteed KO. It's surprisingly tanky at 75%, much less so at 50%, or after SR damage.

Also you can drop the speed EVs to 248 as this still outruns Scarf Lele and doesn't really lose out on anything else. Lastly Drain Punch is probably worth running just to break through things like Garchomp or Ferro post Belly Drum without dying to chip.

But yeah Poliwrath is really cool. 10/10.

Last edited:
Do you lose any KOs by running Sitrus Berry > Mystic Water? Belly Drum into Sitrus range leaves you with enough HP to eat things like Garchomp EQ, Specs Pult SB and even Kyurem Freeze Dry isn't a guaranteed KO. It's surprisingly tanky at 75%, much less so at 50%, or after SR damage.

Also you can drop the speed EVs to 248 as this still outruns Scarf Lele and doesn't really lose out on anything else. Lastly Drain Punch is probably worth running just to break through things like Garchomp or Ferro post Belly Drum without dying to chip.

But yeah Poliwrath is really cool. 10/10.
mystic water isn't necessary for any OHKOs that I know of while belly drummed up, but I have personally found out that you don't always need to belly drum with poli, as just its good coverage and rain boost lets it hit a lot of mons decently hard even without a drum, to the points that a lot of teams can have difficulties switching into poli even without boosts if they arent running bro or pex. In such situations mystic water does offer a noticeable increase in output.
That being said, if you want to go for a more all in strategy, sitrus berry + drain punch seems like a pretty good idea, as what you said about being at 75% vs being at 50% is true, and it is probably also a good way to take poliwrath.
Coincidentally another item that could be pretty good is expert belt, as I found myself clicking super effective moves surprisingly often, and expert belt notably guaranteed OHKOs specs kyurem, and has a decent chance to OHKO ferro, which gets even better with the slightest bit of chip, and those are some key MUs for rain.
All 3 items have their appeal: sitrus for just going ham, mystic water as a kinda safe midground, and expert belt to take out some key threats. One thing to note is that I would not use expert belt with drain punch, as it defeats the purpose. For similar reasons I would also not go for encore if using expert belt. What you personally choose might depend on the team and your own preferences, but I would say all 3 are viable.
Thanks a lot for bringing up some good points, it is very appreciated, and your logic is sound.

now, I said I would try to provide more replays, so I got 2 more:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1421313936 - I get a belly drum up because the opponent wants to take advantage of an expected cc, and as soon as the opponent witnesses the broken corpse of what was once lando-t, he surrenders to spare his other mons the same grisly fate
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1421402872 - I get belly drum off a very weakened hydreigon, and then poli proceeds to wreck shop

Here's a quick dump:

:ss/Scizor:

Scizor @ Life Orb
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Sand Tomb

Sweeper set that deletes Heatran and Toxapex. Adamant hits 229 Speed which is meh, but the power is worthwhile. Jolly outruns a lot of relevant mons but is still slower than Modest max speed Heatran (251 to 253). Overall it just looks like a menace on paper, especially since opposing priority users basically can't beat it.

:ss/Blaziken:

Blaziken @ Choice Band
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Earthquake / Knock Off

Blaziken is too frail to use Swords Dance reliably and its coverage leaves it walled by something no matter what. Band lets it hit hard immediately and make use of U-Turn better, pivoting out of its answers rather than trying (and usually failing) to break through them. As raw power and initial speed goes, this set is actually inferior to Banded Darmanitan, which is already kinda bad. However, Blaziken's lack of a Stealth Rock weakness goes a long way for improving longevity, it has a spammable STAB in Close Combat, and it has a chance of cleaning in the late game due to Speed Boost. Blaziken also has a surprise factor since most players would expect SD or Protect; everyone knows Darmanitan is choiced.

:ss/Celesteela:

Celesteela @ Power Herb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Autotomize
- Meteor Beam
- Air Slash
- Earthquake / Flamethrower / Flash Cannon

Power Herb + Meteor Beam is fun. Celesteela's well-rounded stats and access to Autotomize make it a decent user of the strategy. It outruns every non-choiced mon in the tier after a boost and is hard to revenge kill in general. EQ is very important for Heatran, but if there's already something to severely weaken it then Flamethrower and Flash Cannon help against Ferrothorn and Clefable, respectively. Pair this with Whirlpool Fini so Toxapex and Blissey don't make your life hell.

:ss/Landorus-Therian:

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Yache Berry
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Weather Ball

This might be my favorite in the group. Rock Polish Landorus-T is meant to catch opponents off-guard in the early game with Weather Ball and clean in the late game after boosting. Adamant EQ is the main brainless option and Stone Edge is good neutral coverage. Weather Ball gives a 100 BP Ice or Fire move for Hail and Sun, respectively. The former dunks on Garchomp and opposing Lando-T while the latter fries Corviknight, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn. Several items are worthwhile in the last slot. I opted for Yache Berry because it baits Weavile; Ice Shard does like 50% max. Leftovers keeps it healthy while bluffing a bulkier set, while Soft Sand and Life Orb provide extra power.

:ss/Slowking-Galar:

Slowking-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower

Lard-buster Glowking, the anti-Pex / Fini / Blissey / etc that just doesn't die. Use Sludge Bomb mindlessly; little prediction is needed since you outrun most of what you beat. Speed is for Pex, everything else maximizes bulk and power. Boots helps its longevity a lot. Ice Beam can be ran over Flamethrower if you hate bulky grounds more than bulky steels. Either way, bring a Heatran check because this sure as hell isn't it.

:ss/Mew:

Mew @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Psychic Fangs
- Close Combat
- Triple Axel

Mew is a weird option for a DD user but its coverage and bulk is excellent. This set goes for a bulkier route because that's part of its niche over other set-up mons. Iapapa Berry helps with that. It has enough speed for Modest Heatran at +0 and Weavile at +1, but it's best to go for +2 since its power is otherwise unimpressive. Alternatively, 104 Speed EVs lets Mew outrun Scarf Kartana at +2. This is probably best used on Aurora Veil teams.

and a special mention to:

Mew @ (idk)
Ability: Synchronise
EVs: (presumably) 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Psychic Fangs
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch

This is something the goat himself Omari P has used on the ladder recently. SD gives plenty of immediate power while Sucker Punch baits Dragapult and Blacephalon. Personally, I'd be hesitant to use SD Mew outside of webs since it's not exactly hard to revenge kill, especially by Weavile and Tapu Koko. If it's on webs then Triple Axel should probably replace Sucker Punch.

:kyurem:
Kyurem @ Never-Melt Ice
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Roost / Rock Tomb / Focus Blast

nevermelt ice kyurem is a fantastic lure set that spawns from kyurem's nasty hazard weakness and need to spam ice type moves. having choice specs gives higher damage output but makes it a lot more prediction reliant and less durable becuase it can't use roost.
never melt ice keeps ice type attacks on respectable power while allowing two key things: threatens heatran with earthpower after it tanks ice beam (broader concept is being able to switch move and lure its steel type counters) and ability to use roost.
this suddenly narrows even more the pokèmon that can actually counter kyurem, despite the lower damage output.
outside of roost though we have two options: focus blast is tried and trusted coverage against ferrothorn and a stronger hit vs melmetal. rock tomb is quite interesting and it's a good option to thwart volcarona looking to setup against it. standard bulkarona spread is easily 2hkod by modest 0 evs rock tomb and kyurem is bulky enough to take +1 flamethrower after rocks, which means you can beat it 1v1 in a pinch. roost is overall more reliable and what makes this set great in the first place. after all, mamoswine's stab coverage is one of the best you can have with two typings. kyurem exchanges ground stab for stronger ice offense + supereffective hit vs water types with mamo struggles against being also weak to it.

---

:aegislash:
Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Shadow Ball
- Close Combat

subtox aegi is meh imho in the meta. aegi is already hard to fit and i think people who use it should exploit its traits to the fullest. as the only ghost type with powerful shadowball and close combat, it's way too perfect as a ghost spam catalyst, throwing around shadow balls and toxics while scaring the hell out of ttar, hydreigon and blissey with its close combat. aegi's speed tier isn't that valuable so you can use a neutral nature for atk, keeping up the power of close combat. ttar is more common with choice band, which runs speed for skarm at least and you want to preserve some bulk for this set since it can bring nice defensive utility. underspeeding clef isn't a big deal since you are probably not breaking through it with non-specs shadowballs anyway. aegi's niche is very specific but worth exploring for a ghost spam team. my main message is, however, please use close combat on aegislash and don't waste its offensive niche

Those are pretty standard sets barring Tect Aegi which doesnt make much sense over King's Shield outside of the very specific not boosting Bisharp/G-Zapdos attacks.
That's fair, it's just that I haven't seen the kyurem set showcased anywhere so I didn't even know it was standard. I should have mentioned the difference between protect and king's shield though. protect also blocks status moves like taunt and trick, which king's shield doesn't, and also aegislash is a good check to g-zapdos so it may be useful not to give it free boost trying to scout and changing to the defensive stance

:Garchomp: Mixed SD Garchomp :Garchomp:
Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 160 SpA / 96 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Earthquake
- Scale Shot
- Fire Blast
- Swords Dance

Jank-a$$ breaker version of garchomp. Pretty much 6-0s balances that lacks a weavile or rillaboom. Stall is easy as pie. Faster than Koko after scale shot. I guess you could crank it up to beat dragapult at +1 too, but then you lose ability to kill buzzwole after rocks.

Interesting b/c you can click earthquake to beat unawares, and LO fire blast kills anything that tries to wall the stabs.
160 SpA Life Orb Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Buzzwole: 341-403 (81.5 - 96.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
160 SpA Life Orb Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Corviknight: 213-252 (53.3 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
160 SpA Life Orb Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tangrowth: 354-419 (87.6 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 187-222 (47.4 - 56.3%) -- 84.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Neutral EQ is very strong too. Kills weavile, Lele, dragapult
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Tapu Fini: 320-376 (93 - 109.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1427432703
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1427387754-4ag576b3en8f6nqde8xkk6e9of09mu1pw this guy was flaming afterward lol. 88 gxe btw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1427333077-8l1mkhvg04naln2lai0bppsz5hw4ekxpw

Bonus team w/ the set. (Yes, always use double zap): https://pokepast.es/2a938b18350aa754

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Atk / 36 SpD / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Scale Shot
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

This is my next favorite spread. The power of regular garchomp, but it's thick as can be. Great heatran stop and sweeper all in one.

252 SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 36 SpD Garchomp: 342-404 (81.4 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Got a few interesting sets I wanted to share.

Offensive Tentacruel:
Tentacruel @ Scope Lens
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Cross Poison
1633144767776.png

It's a bit gimmicky, but if you can predict well and get a set-up, it's hard to stop. Water/Poison makes for a surprisingly good offensive combination, capable of hitting pretty much all Pokemon in UU, with the only resistances being Seismitoad (if running Water Absorb) and opposing Tentacruel, though the latter shouldn't give you much trouble due to Tentacruel's underwhelming physical defense. A Jolly nature is used to maximize speed both for rapid spin boosting, and to deal with Excadrill.

Rapid Spin allows it to server as a hazard clearer, and gives it beneficial speed boosts. At +1 it can out-speed the general meta, and at +2 it can even out-speed the most serious threat to it, Regieleki, as well as all Choice Scarf options. Swords Dance gives it the boost potential necessary for sweeping or hitting hard, while Waterfall offers the potential to flinch opponents you might not take out in a single shot.
Cross Poison is used over Poison Jab for the higher critical rate, and pairs well with the Scope Lens, giving an impressive chance to score critical hits.

Edit: Made an adjustment for Clear Body over Liquid Ooze. While Ooze is nice to annoy Giga Drain users, Clear Body has more utility to prevent Intimidate and ignore any potential Sticky Webs.

You can see an example of this set (w/ Leftovers before I adjusted for Scope Lens) in use here: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1427651591-9hdvkomoqqjtia9mtsqne3224z1oeofpw

Electrode: Destroyer of Groudons

1633147417858.png
Electrode @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 236 HP / 20 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave
- Swagger
- Taunt

While Electrode sadly can't be used in Gen 8 right now, this was a quirky set I used to use back in Gen 6 & 7 Anything Goes, and it got some hilarious results. One of my original AG teams featuring Electrode even got me into the Top 5 on the AG ladder back in generation 6. Unfortunately for Electrode, it's moveset got hit hard in Gen 7 with the nerfs to the accuracy of both Thunder Wave and Swagger, as well as the nerf to confusion. Here's a replay that reasonably demonstrates the set, even post-nerf.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-931517323

Electrode with this set functions as speedy support, having one of the highest base speed stats in the game. Thunder Wave allowed it to cripple opposing speedsters such as Deoxys-S, Greninja, or Xerneas, while Taunt shut down stall, boosters, and opposing setup Baton Pass gimmicks. Swagger functioned well to cripple alongside Thunder Wave, and paired well with Foul Play to cause heavy damage. Most commonly, Primal Groudons would swap into a Swagger, and get 2HKO'd if lucky enough to get the confuse hit off. (As you can imagine, lowering confusion's self-hit chance from 50% to 33% severely lowered the effectiveness of this strategy)
Rocky Helmet + Aftermath also allowed for Electrode to swap in to somewhat weakened threats such as E-Speed Arceus, Fire Punch Groudon, and so forth, able to cause upwards of 40% damage with the combined effects of the Rocky Helmet and Aftermath.

I've got some others in mind, but I'll save some for another post tomorrow.

Last edited:
Got a few interesting sets I wanted to share.

Offensive Tentacruel:
Tentacruel @ Scope Lens
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Cross Poison
View attachment 375483

It's a bit gimmicky, but if you can predict well and get a set-up, it's hard to stop. Water/Poison makes for a surprisingly good offensive combination, capable of hitting pretty much all Pokemon in UU, with the only resistances being Seismitoad (if running Water Absorb) and opposing Tentacruel, though the latter shouldn't give you much trouble due to Tentacruel's underwhelming physical defense. A Jolly nature is used to maximize speed both for rapid spin boosting, and to deal with Excadrill.

Rapid Spin allows it to server as a hazard clearer, and gives it beneficial speed boosts. At +1 it can out-speed the general meta, and at +2 it can even out-speed the most serious threat to it, Regieleki, as well as all Choice Scarf options. Swords Dance gives it the boost potential necessary for sweeping or hitting hard, while Waterfall offers the potential to flinch opponents you might not take out in a single shot.
Cross Poison is used over Poison Jab for the higher critical rate, and pairs well with the Scope Lens, giving an impressive chance to score critical hits.

Edit: Made an adjustment for Clear Body over Liquid Ooze. While Ooze is nice to annoy Giga Drain users, Clear Body has more utility to prevent Intimidate and ignore any potential Sticky Webs.

You can see an example of this set (w/ Leftovers before I adjusted for Scope Lens) in use here: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1427651591-9hdvkomoqqjtia9mtsqne3224z1oeofpw

Electrode: Destroyer of Groudons

View attachment 375485
Electrode @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 236 HP / 20 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave
- Swagger
- Taunt

While Electrode sadly can't be used in Gen 8 right now, this was a quirky set I used to use back in Gen 6 & 7 Anything Goes, and it got some hilarious results. One of my original AG teams featuring Electrode even got me into the Top 5 on the AG ladder back in generation 6. Unfortunately for Electrode, it's moveset got hit hard in Gen 7 with the nerfs to the accuracy of both Thunder Wave and Swagger, as well as the nerf to confusion. Here's a replay that reasonably demonstrates the set, even post-nerf.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-931517323

Electrode with this set functions as speedy support, having one of the highest base speed stats in the game. Thunder Wave allowed it to cripple opposing speedsters such as Deoxys-S, Greninja, or Xerneas, while Taunt shut down stall, boosters, and opposing setup Baton Pass gimmicks. Swagger functioned well to cripple alongside Thunder Wave, and paired well with Foul Play to cause heavy damage. Most commonly, Primal Groudons would swap into a Swagger, and get 2HKO'd if lucky enough to get the confuse hit off. (As you can imagine, lowering confusion's self-hit chance from 50% to 33% severely lowered the effectiveness of this strategy)
Rocky Helmet + Aftermath also allowed for Electrode to swap in to somewhat weakened threats such as E-Speed Arceus, Fire Punch Groudon, and so forth, able to cause upwards of 40% damage with the combined effects of the Rocky Helmet and Aftermath.

I've got some others in mind, but I'll save some for another post tomorrow.
I'm not entirely sure where you should put this, but this thread is for Gen 8 OU specifically, not Gen 7 AG or Gen 8 UU.

I'm not entirely sure where you should put this, but this thread is for Gen 8 OU specifically, not Gen 7 AG or Gen 8 UU.
Ah, my bad. This is the only thread I saw like this, so I figured it was the best place to put it. Will happily move it if someone happens to know of a better location that they could point me towards :)

Edit: Been scouring the forums and nothing so far. The problem is, there doesn't appear to be any category that would *technically* allow for more than a single tier at a time, nor do there seem to be other posts set up like this. I guess it technically would be plausible via creating separate posts in every single tier category, or perhaps just a master thread under Anything Goes, though that one in particular seems to have little to no activity...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)