HanSoloIndie's Art and WIPs

Hello, everyone I am HanSoloIndie! I finally created enough art to post on a forum to show my art to everyone!
My twitter is https://twitter.com/IronFe7
Super-Mario-Galaxy-Project.jpg
All-Modern-Pokmon-Cover-Legendaries-in-Vector-Final.jpg

This is a sample of a bigger project.
1589393846985.png

(My orginal character, Paraphernalia, as part of a steampunk story I am working on)
20190828_170108.jpg

20191014_194452.jpg

Since credit is due and to help any aspiring artists in this thread, here is a list of resources that is open to everyone for Photoshop/Illustrator etc. that I used. As long as you are not redistributing them as your own/sharing download links, you can use these without asking permission/give credit (although that would be polite) in (some cases) commercial/non-profit works. These are not mine, they are third parties.

Attachments

Last edited:
Since a few people asked, here's a quick tutorial on how to make some awesome effects in Illustrator, and the steps needed to complete a Pokemon legendary in vector.
Keep in mind, I am showing this tutorial because while vector makes art more accessible to everyone, it has a steep learning curve. Also, know what the difference is between a stroke and a path:
  • A path is a line of node and anchor points that define a shape, line, or 3D object in vector. A path can exist without a path.
  • A stoke is a path with a defined color or feature. Without a path, a stroke cannot exist.
Capture Ex.JPG

(From top to bottom) Paths can be manipulated with the Selection Tool, Direct Selection Tool, Pen tools, and more, but the above two are the most frequently used, and the last one listed is the most precise. The Selection Tool is used to select groups of objects, and to transform. The Direction Selection Tool is used to manipulate nodes. The Pen Tools give you the option to create a path freely. Do note that there is a Brush tool, but that is used to create strokes with special effects/lineart.
1590088223135.png

I'll use my WIP White Kyurem as an example:
Step 1: Use the Pen Tool, Brush, or Shapes + Shape Builder Tool to draw your "base". Depending on the thing you want to draw, you will likely need a combination of all the above. This is a good time to add strokes and fills.
1590082194107.png
Step 2: Select a path/object and go to the Layers. Duplicate it within the Layer submenu:
1590086962090.png
Step 3: After duplicating such, lock the sublayer below it, clear it of any stroke/fill, and do one of the following:
  1. Draw inside within the boundaries of the object, aka making a clipping mask. This is a good time to add lines for clarity.
    1. Play with the Transparency and Opacity of objects drawn within. Options like Multiply, Screen, and Color Dodge are your best friends!
  2. Add gradients.
    1. Keep in mind about color theory when you color your illustration. You use the Eyedropper tool within the Gradient tool to pick/copy colors, and use the Freeform or Radial gradients.
  3. Add effects, under the ribbon of Illustrator. Use such sparingly, as you don't want to your art look computerized.
EXPERIMENT!!!
1590087219151.png
or
1590087245054.png
or
1590087265129.png
Step 4: When finished, lock the layer you edited, and unlock the Layer below it (to edit the base color). Rinse and Repeat until you get the desired effect.
1590088059651.png

As shown above, using the gradient and Draw inside clipping mask allows a great effect on the front ice shoulder of White Kyurem.
Have fun!

Attachments

Last edited:

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's so cool getting to see your process! I've always had weird problems with the Draw Inside mode; it felt like it would only sometimes work, and other times it just wouldn't let me select the mode at all on certain shapes? I'm sure there's a reason for it, but I stopped trying to figure it out, and found my own workarounds. Seeing your way of doing it kinda makes me wanna try it again though! The Kyurem illustration itself is also just really solid, too. I like its curved pose and the way the flames running through the tubes are rendered, among other things.

Your legendaries series in the previous post is great too! I can see the improvements from when you posted the WIP in the RMA thread, like the added depth to the black crystals on Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings Necrozma, Zacian's more defined fur, tail, and sword, and the more detailed lighting and shading all around. I really like the lime green colors on Xerneas' lower half. With those green energy spikes and colored leaves, I can tell that we're seeing it in the middle of a Geomancy.

Out of curiosity, do you make your drawings entirely in Illustrator from start to finish? For me, I draw a physical sketch on paper and take a photo of it, or occasionally do a digital sketch in Photoshop with a tablet, before bringing that sketch into Illustrator and tracing it.

It's so cool getting to see your process! I've always had weird problems with the Draw Inside mode; it felt like it would only sometimes work, and other times it just wouldn't let me select the mode at all on certain shapes? I'm sure there's a reason for it, but I stopped trying to figure it out, and found my own workarounds. Seeing your way of doing it kinda makes me wanna try it again though! The Kyurem illustration itself is also just really solid, too. I like its curved pose and the way the flames running through the tubes are rendered, among other things.

Your legendaries series in the previous post is great too! I can see the improvements from when you posted the WIP in the RMA thread, like the added depth to the black crystals on Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings Necrozma, Zacian's more defined fur, tail, and sword, and the more detailed lighting and shading all around. I really like the lime green colors on Xerneas' lower half. With those green energy spikes and colored leaves, I can tell that we're seeing it in the middle of a Geomancy.

Out of curiosity, do you make your drawings entirely in Illustrator from start to finish? For me, I draw a physical sketch on paper and take a photo of it, or occasionally do a digital sketch in Photoshop with a tablet, before bringing that sketch into Illustrator and tracing it.
If I am doing exclusively vector art, then I do my drawings within only Illustrator. However, if i were to do raster art, most of the time I do it within only Photoshop, with the occasional scan for certain linearts and/or image trace in Illustrator for easy coloring (and send it back into Photoshop)

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Your forest painting turned out really well! The trees have a harder, more "scratchy" texture, while the leaves and bushes are softer and blend together more. The bits of highlights on the water's surface help sell its reflectiveness, and I like that teal color used for the water, broken up by the darker reflections of the trees. I think you could sell the depth of the scene a little more by going darker with and adding further texture to the background, but it still looks great as is.

That big panel of the Galarian legends is looking good, too. Can't wait to see it finished!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)