SM PU Hail Yeah!

Alternative title: A mono team? Outside of monotype? It's more likely than you think

There is much to say, and I will break my silence to say it

A little more than a year ago, I joined a monotype league as an ice-type leader (I doubt I'm allowed to advertise that league, so names withheld). Some time after that, I asked myself "can I make good use of ice monotype in other tiers?" Given how ice is usually seen as the weakest type, I decided to start with the lowest possible tier fit for it: PU

After some time, I've managed to take on a handful of PU mock tour brackets, and even managed to scrape top 5 with this team, eventually treading on thin ice (pun intended) and falling under after some unfortunate bouts

Even so, I'm sure there are some not-so-obvious weaknesses that you can try to help me address. So here's how the team works:

Tundra (Aurorus) (M) @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Naturally, for a successful hail team, I needed either hail setter. I started out with a mixed attacking Abomasnow, but the big problem I faced with him was a lack of switching pressure. Aurorus' power to lay out Stealth Rocks, as well as coaxing opponents to try and go for a super-effective water move more often prompted me to make the switch. Blizzard is the natural starter move, with Earth Power granting good coverage. The Ancient Power pick may irk some of you, but I also like to make teams here that I can easily recreate in-game, and I'll be damned if I have to spend time breeding for an HP rock. Aurorus doesn't get to see too much action to warrant the extra PP anyway, the way I see it. EV spread is to ensure as hard of hits as possible before getting hit or chased away. The Icy Rock is there to help the next partner:

Coldsteel (Sandslash-Alola) (M) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Icicle Crash

What better partner for a hail team than Sandslash-Alola? Long before the specially defensive set became trendy, Coldsteel here was the prime attacker under extended hail. Standard-issue attacking set of Icicle Crash & Iron Head serving as STABs, and Earthquake rounding off for coverage. The Z-crystal, despite not being for one of its STAB moves, is there for the sake of coverage. I enjoy the coverage a bit more than hitting the STABs, even if the calculations show me that I can follow up for a KO after a +2 boosted attack. Adamant may seem questionable too, since it can't outpace a scarfed Primeape in hail, but extra power has always helped me scrape in good damage

Burgundy (Avalugg) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Roar

Pretty much every time I make an ice team for anything, I consider Avalugg, the ironiceclad bulk. The physical defense is just too good to pass up in a tier full of Gurdurrs, Hitmonchans, and Primeapes, and the ability to remove the pesky pebbles from my side is always helpful. Rocky Helmet punishes those physical attackers in kind, even if they drain some health from them during a punch. It may seem odd to not have something that can pass around status (Toxic) reliably, but Roar has helped me slip out of potential setup runners. Sucks that this guy isn't properly up in PU
+1 44+ Atk Gurdurr Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 134-158 (34 - 40.2%)
136+ Atk Iron Fist Hitmonchan Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 116-140 (29.5 - 35.6%)
252 Atk Primeape Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 156-186 (39.6 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Superpower vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 178-210 (45.2 - 53.4%)
252 Atk Choice Band Dodrio Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 136-160 (34.6 - 40.7%)

Siren (Lapras) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Rest

So with a physical wall covered, now I needed a special wall. Lapras looked to be the right thing here, but when I did a bit of digging with her, I remembered that the nasty combo of Perish Trapping existed. I've been chastised for using Whirlpool over Block before for the fact that Block never misses, but that turns any Taunt users into Odysseus with beeswax. The chip damage is nice, too. Protect helps get a turn in for trapping, and Rest lets her be a status sponge, not minding anything that the likes of Clefairy, Audino, or non-Roar Mudsdale throw at her.
252 SpA Manectric Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Lapras: 150-176 (32.3 - 38%)
252 SpA Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Lapras: 188-224 (40.6 - 48.3%)
252+ SpA Eelektross Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Lapras: 162-192 (34.9 - 41.4%)
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Lapras: 203-242 (43.8 - 52.2%)
252 SpA Raichu Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Lapras: 170-204 (36.7 - 44%)
252 SpA Swanna Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Lapras: 171-202 (36.9 - 43.6%)

freEZy (Rotom-Frost) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Defog

Despite being something odd, this one ended up being my most favorite to use, especially at the start of a fight. Many of my opponents see an all-ice team and are ever eager to put rocks up on my side to seemingly gain an advantage, only to have a scarf flung their way, and then for the rocks to disappear with defog (I'm especially looking at YOU, Mesprit). Whenever tricking isn't possible or viable to get off, he can still utilize the scarf to outpace and either damage or pivot around with Blizzard and Volt Switch respectively. This also makes Rotom a secondary partner of the extended hail, allowing for true strike Blizzards

Cold front (Articuno) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Freeze-Dry
- Hurricane

Rounding off the team is the (currently) only way I can properly deal with water types, along with other benefits. Substitute lets Articuno act as the secondary status sponge, and pairs well with Pressure over Snow Cloak, because that at least guarantees technically having to use a move two times for it to hit. It's especially good at soaking up greedy Focus Blast users trying to score some damage. Roost naturally pitches in with healing off bean bag health spent. Freeze Dry, as mentioned before, deals with any water types, while Hurricane, as unreliable as it can be sometimes, blows away many other targets on a successful connection, notably Gurdurr

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-853078529 - Trick targets vary
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-853560295 - I was mostly against banning A-Exeggutor. I probably wouldn't have had much of a say in that, given my play style
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-857053638 - rain matchup 1
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-860636011 - rain matchup 2

Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Roar

Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Freeze-Dry
- Hurricane

freEZy (Rotom-Frost) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Defog

Calm Nature
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Rest

Coldsteel (Sandslash-Alola) (M) @ Groundium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Icicle Crash

Notable problems (as far as I've seen):
  • Fighting types
    • Mostly Primeape. Avalugg can withstand a hit from scarf variants, but band variants where Rotom has tricked the scarf away become big problems. May need to switch Slushslash to Jolly to outpace in the hail
    • I've been done in by occasional offensive Hitmonchan, who blows through Avalugg with LOrb-boosted CC
  • Fast or bulky electric types. So much coverage
    • Manectric is the big one
    • A-Raichu. No scarf on my side? That's a nasty plot for them
    • Eelektross. The salt vest is real. Lapras can kind of deal with it until it volt dips out
    • Lanturn. Sometimes, Rotom accidentally tricks them, receiving an assault vest, and barring me from defogging rocks
  • Lilligant. Lapras may be the one designated to take a sleep powder, but when she starts dancing, there's not much else I can do
  • Lycanroc. The rock lays a smackdown
  • Early-game Silvally. It's versatile, and I can't really tell what it's running until one of my two walls takes a big hit. Also not affected by Trick
It's going to sound weird, but I'm looking to keep the monotype going above all else. I'd still be all ears to knowing what else to look out for, especially if Houndoom is set on staying here with us oop aww, banned

Last edited:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello Rubicon,

Good job on making a fun team you have found success with, it shows you have a good amount of skill when it comes to both playing and the overall metagame knowledge it takes to be able to pull off a team such as this. Obviously, when using a Monotype team in a tier where that is not a restriction you will come across a lot of overlapping weaknesses and leave your options to patch them quite minuscule, which I think you have come to accept and acknowledge by this line.

Even so, I'm sure there are some not-so-obvious weaknesses that you can try to help me address.
When we don't have the restriction of using a single type of Pokemon the easiest way to fix a bit of weakness is to just add Pokemon of a different type so I have ways you can do that but also keep an overall Ice Spam feel to the team.

<--- Click for Import

Icy Rock isn't necessary on this incarnation as the only true abuser is Alolan Sandslash and the power boost from Choice Specs is incredibly noticeable. Since Aurorus is no longer the rocker this frees up Freeze Dry and I prefer Hidden Power Rock as it allows Aurorus to beat Substitute Articuno much easier. Ancient Power is ok if you want to fish for boosts but that is unreliable but this team can get away with trying as you have numerous Pokemon that check Sub Articuno.

Avalugg is bulky but other than that it did not add anything other members of your team couldn't provide. Mesprit is a solid Fighting-type resist and can add Stealth Rock over Aurorus who honestly would rather be wallbreaking on this team. Defensive Healing Wish is an ok option here but your team is incredibly weak to Aggron so Hidden Power Ground just fits here really nice. You could also try two attacks Healing Wish with Healing Wish over U-Turn, Mesprit gives you a lot of options.

"Spam" Teams work by overwhelming resists until the opposing team has no more options and eventually lose to the onslaught of Ice-type moves. Normal spam is probably the most common type of spam team right now but Ice is actually common in its own right as Aurorus + Alolan Sandslash is a spam core. That being said I think Life Orb 3 attacks works great here. Its coverage is basically unresisted bar very specially bulky Pokemon. It also helps with that Aggron Weakness.

You are incredibly weak to a lot of specially offensive threats as you mentioned already. There are only really two options for your team being Munchlax and Type: Null as there really are the only Pokemon that can feasibly check them reliable and repeatedly. Both Munchalax and Type: Null are weak to Fighting-type coverage which already plagues your team but they both have a way to beat them in Curse and Iron Defense respectively which can help you in those matchups. Munchlax does worse against Fighting-types but does better against Fire-types and if Houndoom stays in the tier Munchlax does a lot better against it then Type: Null as it receives Thick Fat.

Jolly is mandatory here as a well-played Primeape can basically 6-0 your entire team if they manage to weaken Mesprit. Sub Zero Slammer is offensively better here as it adds to the Ice Spam, however Tectonic Rage can be used defensively against Aggron, but if you manage a Swords Dance or get enough damage that's a non-issue and I think the Sub Zero Slammer is way better in non-Aggron matchups after all it is falling in usage. Iron Head isn't really needed and with the loss of Avalugg Rapid Spin just adds better utility

Been a while, but I figured I could post some updates:

Aurorus
- Switched Ancient Power to Stone Edge now that Cryogonal is here
0- Atk Aurorus Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Cryogonal: 270-320 (74.3 - 88.1%)
252 SpA Aurorus Ancient Power vs. 248 HP / 52 SpD Cryogonal: 120-144 (33 - 39.6%)

Sandslash
- Nature changed from Adamant to Jolly. Even though Icium-Z does less to Salt Vest Eelektross, being able to outspeed +natured base 95s such as Primeape, the occasional Flame Charge Silvally, and +1 Jynx are too good

Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Roar

Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Freeze-Dry
- Hurricane

FilthyFridge (Rotom-Frost) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Defog

Calm Nature
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Rest

Coldsteel (Sandslash-Alola) (M) @ Icium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Icicle Crash

Have fun!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)