move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Bounce
move 4: Substitute / Earthquake
item: Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots
ability: Moxie
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Gyarados has solidified itself as one of the premier offensive threats in the tier thanks to Dragon Dance. Its snowball potential with Moxie and Dynamax is stellar, sweeping away teams after ample setup. Moreover, Gyarados finds many setup opportunities through Substitute and its natural bulk strengthened further by Dynamax. Dragon Dance revs up Gyarados's sweeping capabilities and beefs up the power of its moves to overwhelm the tier. Waterfall is Gyarados's only reliable STAB move when it isn't Dynamaxed and is the main beat up and cleanup tool against frailer Pokemon and chipped defensive checks. When Dynamaxed, it gains offensive boosts in the form of higher Base Power and setting rain. Bounce and Max Airstream break through Water-resistant Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Toxapex, and Hydreigon; moreover, they have additional niches through Bounce's immunity and Max Airstream's Speed boost. Substitute sacrifices health and a coverage moveslot to block status conditions, Taunt, and, most importantly, Ditto's Imposter, which eliminates the possibility of a reverse sweep. Earthquake hits Toxapex and Dracozolt, which tank both of Gyarados's STAB attacks well. Max Quake also packs a lot of power along with a Special Defense boost. Power Whip is used to cover for Rotom-W, OHKOing it at +1 after entry hazard damage. It is also worth considering Taunt to shut off Pokemon such as Corviknight and Galarian Corsola for more setup chances. Leftovers is the preferred item choice on sets running Substitute; however, Heavy-Duty Boots may be used to switch in and set up more comfortably. Life Orb is a good option on sets with three attacking moves to break through bulkier Pokemon; its drawback is also slightly mitigated by Dynamax's HP boost.

Gyarados fits well on most offensive teams as a late-game sweeper. Entry hazards from setters such as Ferrothorn and Seismitoad stack up offensive pressure and assist Gyarados in sweeping and securing KOs. Similarly, entry hazard removal from Pokemon such as Mandibuzz and Excadrill is also crucial, especially since Gyarados takes double Stealth Rock damage. Ground-types such as Seismitoad and Excadrill can take Electric-type moves. It also appreciates free switches via slow U-turn from Pokemon such as Pelipper and Corviknight. The former also sets rain, which is useful to further increase Waterfall's damage.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[kt3, 228482]]
- Quality checked by: [[TDK, 185591], [Jordy, 395754]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Rabia, 336073]]

Last edited:

kumiko

formerly TDK
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
You don't have to go in depth or anything, but I'd recommend being a little more... positive I guess about Heavy-Duty Boots. Being able to switch in and not feel like you wasted your chance to setup and sweep because you took Stealth Rock damage is very appealing. It's definitely not the best item but I feel you're underselling it just a little bit in the description. To me, it comes off more as like "Use Leftovers...... but, well................ you COULD use boots but idk.........." that's just how I read it tho maybe someone disagrees.

I'd also like to see a mention of Life Orb. On a 3 Atks set, I feel it has a lot of merit. With Dynamaxing into play, Gyarados' bulk is very good, meaning the passive damage of LO isn't a huge deal, and it allows +1 Gyarados to OHKO max PDef Toxapex after SR + Black Sludge recovery with a Max Quake. The damage buff can also be relevant against stuff like Corviknight and other bulky Pokemon. I feel it has some merit and should be mentioned.

re: moves, few things. I think in Waterfall you should basically just say it's the primary move, not that its to hit Excadrill or whatever, should be kinda common sense. While not Dynamaxed, it's Gyarados only reliable STAB, making it the best move at cleaning up after setting up. I wouldn't really mention Power Whip being used for Seismitoad, Max Bounce does enough after a Dragon Dance, Substitute makes it setup fodder, and it really won't be coming in vs Gyarados, Power Whip or not. It's only for Rotom-W, but has a lot of use to hit Water-types without using Bounce outside of Dynamaxing (but also makes it easy to get reverse swept by Ditto bc Power Whip will do a lot to yourself). Also please keep in mind Gyarados does not gain any of the benefits of Grassy Terrain, as it is a Flying-type; it does not get the passive recovery or damage boost from terrain. Lastly, I wouldn't mention Taunt being for Ferrothorn, as Ferrothorn will annoy Gyarados the same without Taunt (Knock / Whip does a lot and can be annoying). I'd say the main niche of Taunt is to get past Bulk Up Corviknight without blowing your Dynamamax evolution, but also helps vs stuff like Galarian Corsola.

Beyond that, it looks good. 1/2

Last edited:
You don't have to go in depth or anything, but I'd recommend being a little more... positive I guess about Heavy-Duty Boots. Being able to switch in and not feel like you wasted your chance to setup and sweep because you took Stealth Rock damage is very appealing. It's definitely not the best item but I feel you're underselling it just a little bit in the description. To me, it comes off more as like "Use Leftovers...... but, well................ you COULD use boots but idk.........." that's just how I read it tho maybe someone disagrees.

I'd also like to see a mention of Life Orb. On a 3 Atks set, I feel it has a lot of merit. With Dynamaxing into play, Gyarados' bulk is very good, meaning the passive damage of LO isn't a huge deal, and it allows +1 Gyarados to OHKO max PDef Toxapex after SR + Black Sludge recovery with a Max Quake. The damage buff can also be relevant against stuff like Corviknight and other bulky Pokemon. I feel it has some merit and should be mentioned.

re: moves, few things. I think in Waterfall you should basically just say it's the primary move, not that its to hit Excadrill or whatever, should be kinda common sense. While not Dynamaxed, it's Gyarados only reliable STAB, making it the best move at cleaning up after setting up. I wouldn't really mention Power Whip being used for Seismitoad, Max Bounce does enough after a Dragon Dance, Substitute makes it setup fodder, and it really won't be coming in vs Gyarados, Power Whip or not. It's only for Rotom-W, but has a lot of use to hit Water-types without using Bounce outside of Dynamaxing (but also makes it easy to get reverse swept by Ditto bc Power Whip will do a lot to yourself). Also please keep in mind Gyarados does not gain any of the benefits of Grassy Terrain, as it is a Flying-type; it does not get the passive recovery or damage boost from terrain. Lastly, I wouldn't mention Taunt being for Ferrothorn, as Ferrothorn will annoy Gyarados the same without Taunt (Knock / Whip does a lot and can be annoying). I'd say the main niche of Taunt is to get past Bulk Up Corviknight without blowing your Dynamamax evolution, but also helps vs stuff like Galarian Corsola.

Beyond that, it looks good. 1/2
Thank you :). Implemented.

I appreciate the thoroughness throughout this analysis, but it's slightly too big for my liking for a preview analysis. I'd appreciate it if you could cut down on the wording in order to make this analysis shorter before I QC check this.

I appreciate the thoroughness throughout this analysis, but it's slightly too big for my liking for a preview analysis. I'd appreciate it if you could cut down on the wording in order to make this analysis shorter before I QC check this.
I did my best to do just that. I hope this is better now :). If it still needs cutting, please give me directions, as I don't know where else I could chop without sacrificing content. Thank you :).

comments in purple things to remove in red
[SET]
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
evs: 252 Att / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Gyarados has solidified itself as one of the premier offensive threats in the tier thanks to its boosting move Dragon Dance. Its snowball potential with Moxie and Dynamax is stellar, sweeping away teams after ample set up. I think you should also talk about the fact that it gets many setup opportunities in general. The given spread and nature maximize Gyarados's offensive strengths. Leftovers is the preferred item choice on sets running Substitute; however, Heavy-Duty Boots may be used to block Stealth Rock damage and open up more setup opportunities. Life Orb is a good option on sets with three attacking moves to amp up Gyarados's offensive presence, especially against bulkier Pokemon; its drawback is also alleviated by Dynamax's HP boost. This should all be moved to the end of the paragraph, and I'd like for you to make this a bit less wordy if possible. Dragon Dance is Gyarados's bread and butter, revving up its sweeping capabilities; needless to say, Max Guard also serves its purpose in select scenarios. Max Guard isn't worth pointing out. Waterfall is Gyarados's only reliable STAB move apart from Dynamaxing, pummeling through teams and cleaning up after a few boosts. Without any context, "pummeling through teams" doesn't make sense. Why is Waterfall so strong? Is it because of the lack of reliable Water-resistant Pokemon that can take on Gyarados? Or maybe because teams are a lot frailer right now? When Dynamaxed, it gains offensive boosts in the form of higher BP and sending out rain. Bounce has a niche in stalling foe's Dynamax with the turn of immunity; it also becomes Max Airstream, which has astounding Speed boost and power. The main reason you're running Bounce is not because of stalling out Dynamax turns or because it boosts your Speed; you're primarily running it because it allows Gyarados to overwhelm Ferrothorn and Hydreigon. The order of this sentence should be changed to reflect that accurately. Substitute sacrifices health and a coverage moveslot to block status conditions, Taunt, and Transform more importantly to eliminate the possibility of a reverse sweep. Earthquake hits Toxapex and Dracozolt, which tank both of Gyarados's STABs well. Max Quake also packs a lot of power along with a Special Defense boost. Power Whip is a new addition to Gyarados's movepool and is used to cover for Rotom-W, OHKOing it at +1 after entry hazard damage. It is also worth considering Taunt to shut off Pokemon such as Corviknight and Galarian Corsola for more setup chances.

Gyarados fits well on most offensive teams as a win condition. Entry hazards from setters such as Ferrothorn and Seismitoad stack up offensive pressure and assist Gyarados on sweeping and securing KOs. Similarly, entry hazard removal from Pokemon such as Mandibuzz and Excadrill is also crucial, especially since Gyarados takes double Stealth Rock damage. In particular, Ground-types such as the previously mentioned Seismitoad and Excadrill can soak Electric-type moves for Gyarados, while it can switch into Grass- and Water-type moves for them. I don't think the latter part needs to be pointed out because using Gyarados like that will just lead to it being worn down quickly. Gyarados also appreciates free switches via slow U-Turn from Pokemon such as Pelipper and Corviknight. The former also sets up rain, which is useful to further increase Waterfall's damage. Pokemon that carry offensive load for Gyarados such as Excadrill and Conkeldurr are essential so that it can afford not to run coverage moves. Wallbreakers such as Dracovish and Darmanitan can do chip damage to walls to open up scenarios for Gyarados to sweep. Finally, clerics such as Alcremie and Clefable are also handy should the situation require Gyarados to be sent out early and be status-inflicted in the process. These last few team options feel rather arbitrary. In order to make this analysis shorter, they should be removed.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[<kt3>, <userid1>]]
- Quality checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>], [<username2>, <userid2>]]
- Grammar checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>]]
Because this is a lot and Gyarados is one of the best Pokemon in the metagame, I'd like to take one more look after this is all implemented.

Last edited:

Because this is a lot and Gyarados is one of the best Pokemon in the metagame, I'd like to take one more look after this is all implemented.
The changes have been reflected. Please see if this is better.

[SET]
evs: 252 Att / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Gyarados has solidified itself as one of the premier offensive threats in the tier thanks to its boosting move Dragon Dance. Its snowball potential with Moxie and Dynamax is stellar, sweeping away teams after ample set up. Moreover, Gyarados's natural bulk strengthened further by Dynamax and access to Substitue give way to many setup opportunities. It's really nitpicky, but because of the way this is worded, it can be read as if you're saying that Gyarados gets way too many setup opportunities, so try to switch the structure of the sentence up in order to prevent that. The given spread and nature maximize Gyarados's offensive strengths. You don't need to say this. Dragon Dance revs up Gyarados's sweeping capabilities and beefs up the power of its moves to overwhelm the tier. Waterfall is Gyarados's only reliable STAB move apart from Dynamaxing and is the main beat up and cleanup tool against frailer Pokemon and chipped defensive checks. When Dynamaxed, it gains offensive boosts in the form of higher BP and sending out rain. Bounce and its harder-hitting Max Move counterpart break through Water-resistant Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Toxapex, and Hydreigon; moreover, they have niches through the former's immunity and the latter's Speed boost. What you mean by the former and the latter here is relatively vague. It'd be easier to understand if you just name them. Substitute sacrifices health and a coverage moveslot to block status conditions, Taunt, and Transform more importantly to eliminate the possibility of a reverse sweep. Saying Transform instead of Imposter is technically accurate but also slightly misleading in my opinion, as it implies anything beyond Ditto is worth being bothered by. Earthquake hits Toxapex and Dracozolt, which tank both of Gyarados's STABs well. Max Quake also packs a lot of power along with a Special Defense boost. Power Whip is used to cover for Rotom-W, OHKOing it at +1 after entry hazard damage. It is also worth considering Taunt to shut off Pokemon such as Corviknight and Galarian Corsola for more setup chances. Leftovers is the preferred item choice on sets running Substitute; however, Heavy-Duty Boots may be used to switch in and set up more comfortably. Life Orb is a good option on sets with three attacking moves to break through bulkier Pokemon; its drawback is also alleviated by Dynamax's HP boost. It's not entirely alleviated, just slightly.

Gyarados fits well on most offensive teams as a win condition. Entry hazards from setters such as Ferrothorn and Seismitoad stack up offensive pressure and assist Gyarados on sweeping and securing KOs. Similarly, entry hazard removal from Pokemon such as Mandibuzz and Excadrill is also crucial, especially since Gyarados takes double Stealth Rock damage. In particular, Ground-types such as the previously mentioned Seismitoad and Excadrill can soak Electric-type moves for Gyarados. It also appreciates free switches via slow U-Turn from Pokemon such as Pelipper and Corviknight. The former also sets up rain, which is useful to further increase Waterfall's damage.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[<kt3>, <userid1>]]
- Quality checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>], [<username2>, <userid2>]]
Great job, 2/2.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
add
remove
comments

[SET]
evs: 252 Att / 4 Def / 252 Spe evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Gyarados has solidified itself as one of the premier offensive threats in the tier thanks to its boosting move Dragon Dance. Its snowball potential with Moxie and Dynamax is stellar, sweeping away teams after ample setup(spacing). Moreover, Gyarados finds many setup opportunities due to its natural bulk strengthened further by Dynamax and access to Substitue Substitute. Dragon Dance revs up Gyarados's sweeping capabilities and beefs up the power of its moves to overwhelm the tier. Waterfall is Gyarados's only reliable STAB move apart from Dynamaxing when it isn't Dynamaxed (slightly clearer wording) and is the main beat up and cleanup tool against frailer Pokemon and chipped defensive checks. When Dynamaxed, it gains offensive boosts in the form of higher BP Base Power and sending out setting rain. Bounce and its harder-hitting Max Move counterpart Max Airstream break through Water-resistant Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Toxapex, and Hydreigon; moreover, they have additional niches through Bounce's immunity and Max Airstream's Speed boost.(I personally don't see much reason to note Bounce's damage immunity) Substitute sacrifices health and a coverage moveslot to block status conditions, Taunt, and,(AC) most importantly, Ditto's Imposter more importantly to eliminate,(AC) which eliminates the possibility of a reverse sweep. Earthquake hits Toxapex and Dracozolt, which tank both of Gyarados's STABs STAB attacks well. Max Quake also packs a lot of power along with a Special Defense boost. Power Whip is used to cover for Rotom-W, OHKOing it at +1 after entry hazard damage. It is also worth considering Taunt to shut off Pokemon such as Corviknight and Galarian Corsola for more setup chances. Leftovers is the preferred item choice on sets running Substitute; however, Heavy-Duty Boots may be used to switch in and set up more comfortably. Life Orb is a good option on sets with three attacking moves to break through bulkier Pokemon; its drawback is also slightly mitigated by Dynamax's HP boost.

Gyarados fits well on most offensive teams as a win condition late-game sweeper (wincons are found throughout the course of battle, not in the teambuilding stage). Entry hazards from setters such as Ferrothorn and Seismitoad stack up offensive pressure and assist Gyarados on in sweeping and securing KOs. Similarly, entry hazard removal from Pokemon such as Mandibuzz and Excadrill is also crucial, especially since Gyarados takes double Stealth Rock damage. In particular,(RC, hard to justify the 'in particular' because it doesn't really link back to a previously stated idea all too well) Ground-types such as the previously mentioned Seismitoad and Excadrill can soak take Electric-type moves for Gyarados. It also appreciates free switches via slow U-Turn U-turn from Pokemon such as Pelipper and Corviknight. The former also sets up rain, which is useful to further increase Waterfall's damage.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[TDK, 185591] , [Jordy, 395754]]

gp 1/1 once done

• Love
Reactions: kt3
add
remove
comments

[SET]
evs: 252 Att / 4 Def / 252 Spe evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Gyarados has solidified itself as one of the premier offensive threats in the tier thanks to its boosting move Dragon Dance. Its snowball potential with Moxie and Dynamax is stellar, sweeping away teams after ample setup(spacing). Moreover, Gyarados finds many setup opportunities due to its natural bulk strengthened further by Dynamax and access to Substitue Substitute. Dragon Dance revs up Gyarados's sweeping capabilities and beefs up the power of its moves to overwhelm the tier. Waterfall is Gyarados's only reliable STAB move apart from Dynamaxing when it isn't Dynamaxed (slightly clearer wording) and is the main beat up and cleanup tool against frailer Pokemon and chipped defensive checks. When Dynamaxed, it gains offensive boosts in the form of higher BP Base Power and sending out setting rain. Bounce and its harder-hitting Max Move counterpart Max Airstream break through Water-resistant Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Toxapex, and Hydreigon; moreover, they have additional niches through Bounce's immunity and Max Airstream's Speed boost.(I personally don't see much reason to note Bounce's damage immunity) Substitute sacrifices health and a coverage moveslot to block status conditions, Taunt, and,(AC) most importantly, Ditto's Imposter more importantly to eliminate,(AC) which eliminates the possibility of a reverse sweep. Earthquake hits Toxapex and Dracozolt, which tank both of Gyarados's STABs STAB attacks well. Max Quake also packs a lot of power along with a Special Defense boost. Power Whip is used to cover for Rotom-W, OHKOing it at +1 after entry hazard damage. It is also worth considering Taunt to shut off Pokemon such as Corviknight and Galarian Corsola for more setup chances. Leftovers is the preferred item choice on sets running Substitute; however, Heavy-Duty Boots may be used to switch in and set up more comfortably. Life Orb is a good option on sets with three attacking moves to break through bulkier Pokemon; its drawback is also slightly mitigated by Dynamax's HP boost.

Gyarados fits well on most offensive teams as a win condition late-game sweeper (wincons are found throughout the course of battle, not in the teambuilding stage). Entry hazards from setters such as Ferrothorn and Seismitoad stack up offensive pressure and assist Gyarados on in sweeping and securing KOs. Similarly, entry hazard removal from Pokemon such as Mandibuzz and Excadrill is also crucial, especially since Gyarados takes double Stealth Rock damage. In particular,(RC, hard to justify the 'in particular' because it doesn't really link back to a previously stated idea all too well) Ground-types such as the previously mentioned Seismitoad and Excadrill can soak take Electric-type moves for Gyarados. It also appreciates free switches via slow U-Turn U-turn from Pokemon such as Pelipper and Corviknight. The former also sets up rain, which is useful to further increase Waterfall's damage.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[TDK, 185591] , [Jordy, 395754]]

gp 1/1 once done
Thank you :). Implemented (along with the stuff on Discord).

This is now done :>. Thank you all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)