Other Tiers GSC Tradebacks

I don't know if anyone else has discussed this yet, but a youtuber named Goppier has created a device that allows for legitimate trading between Gen 3 and Gen 2 games (source
). I would like to propose a GSC Tradeback meta. I am not sure about how exactly this would change anything, but the immediate things that come to mind are Rock Slide on Aerodactyl, Softboiled on Clefable, anything from a move tutor (Especially XD, like Heal Bell support from Dragonite, Articuno, Ampharos), more Baton Passers (like Zapdos). Another thought was potentially illegal movesets being made legal again? Any thoughts?

If this became a thing it would have to be its own separate tier to keep the GSC purists happy, like on the RoA Spotlight or something. I for one would definitely try such a tier if implemented on ladder tho, seems interesting :)

Sounds interesting. I suppose Gyarados gets earthquake. Clefable already gets soft boiled or recover so no news there.
Dragonite would also get Earthquake, too, which is nice.

Almost every Gen 2 Pokemon will finally have access to Substitute, which is a pretty notable global change. Dual Screens become more readily available for the Gen 2 Pokemon, as well, most notably the box legends for a possible Tradeback Ubers meta (heck, even the old GSC Lugia Smogon Analysis says Lugia wishes it can set up screens, and now it can).

One notable addition that interests me the most is the wider Swords Dance distribution:

|
|

(Sunflora gets it too, but not only is it a lol, but it ruined the straight line of sprites I made here)

Heracross would become even stronger, with a +2 Megahorn that doesn't come with the cost of lowered Speed. Similarly, Ursaring can hit like a truck with its +2 130 Attack STAB moves (also gets Double Edge in Gen 3, as well!). Skarmory likely would still prefer Curse, arguably even more now if SD users became more prevalent, but SD is a neat new thing it gets.

Then there's the lower tiered mons. Feraligatr and Sneasel, despite lacking physical STABs, can at least do something substantial with their high Attack stats. Jumpluff is something that I can see actually being pretty decent in the lower tiers. It can use the deadly combination of Sleep Powder + Swords Dance to find more set up opportunities to then clean weakened teams with HP Flying. (can also drop SD altogether to run a set of Sleep Powder + Leech Seed + Substitute + HP Flying since it gets Sub now. Wish it got Baton Pass, too lmao). Tentacruel will likely still be a better SD user than Qwilfish, but Qwilfish can run a ParaDancer set with Thunder Wave to help distinguish itself. Gligar no longer has to rely on Screech for higher damage output lmao. Will also be the fastest Ground type with Swords Dance if that means anything to you. Ain't no way Ledian is sweeping anything, but it gets Baton Pass so it can potentially pass Agility AND Swords Dance boosts. Then again, so can Scizor, sooooo...

Lastly, there's Celebi. If it's doing anything with SD, it's gonna be with Baton Pass.

Just gonna end this post with the fact Skarmory gets Spikes now. Yay.

Last edited:

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Pokemon tiers are "locked" when the next gen is released. That means that moves that could only be obtained in a "future" gen are not available.
For example, if a pokemon learns a new attack starting in BW, that pokemon cannot use that attack in earlier gens, even if it could be tradebacked legally (which unless Im wrong can only happen in GSC -> RBY.
The idea is playing the metagame as it was when it was the main metagame. Playing with SD Heracross in GSC could be fun, but it is not what GSC was like when it was the main metagame, so it would feel like playing a different game.
Especially when the tradeback is not done "legally" or at least is not intented to work in that way.

That said, it could be a fun side meta and could be interesting to theorymon or play in it.
it would be good if someone made a list with all the relevant movepool additions

Spikes: Skarmory, Omanyte/Omastar
Heal Bell: Lapras, Articuno, Dragonite, Mareep/Flaafy/Ampharos, Lickitung
Baton Pass: Togepi/Togetic, Beedrill, Spearow/Fearow, Rapidash, Dodrio, Hypno, Zapdos, Natu/Xatu
Thunder Wave: Rattata/Raticate, Gyarados, Togepi/Togetic, Natu/Xatu, Aipom, Murkrow, Misdreavus, Girafarig, Dunsparce, Snubbull, Granbull, Qwilfish, Remoraid/Octillery, Stantler, Miltank, Raikou, Tyranitar, Lugia, Ho-oh
Sing: Cubone/Marowak, Kangaskhan, Marill/Azumarill, Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu
Swords Dance: Rhyhorn/Rhydon, Totodile/Croconaw/Feraligatr, Ledyba/Ledian, Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff, Sunkern/Sunflora, Gligar, Qwilfish, Heracross, Sneasel, Teddiursa/Ursaring, Celebi
Soft-Boiled: Cleffa/Clefairy/Clefable, Togepi/Togetic
Earthquake: Venusaur, Mankey/Primeape, Tyrogue/Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan/Hitmontop, Chansey/Blissey, Pinsir, Gyarados, Dragonite, Mewtwo, Pineco/Forretress, Dunsparce, Snubbull/Granbull, Mantine
Rock Slide: Omanyte/Omastar, Mantine, Tyrogue/Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan/Hitmontop, Lickitung, Pinsir, Kabuto/Kabutops, Aerodactyl, Typhlosion, Pineco/Forretress, Gligar, Shuckle, Heracross, Ursaring, Skarmory, Donphan, Miltank
Selfdestruct: Qwilfish, Slugma/Magcargo
Explosion: Corsola

These are all the important ADV>GSC tradeback moves I could think of. Also, another gain is move compatibilities. Any Gen 2 exclusive egg moves or event moves prevented trading back to Gen 1 to access the TMs there, but now you could trade them to Gen 3 to learn those moves and then trade them back to Gen 2. For example, you could now have a legal Blissey set with Seismic Toss/Present/Thunder Wave/Soft-Boiled.

Last edited:
I think this would be an interesting side tier for sure. Could make for some cool sets.

Lovely Kiss/Rock Slide
Earthquake
Megahorn
Sludge Bomb

Swords Dance
Sludge Bomb
Earthquake

Sleep Powder/ Hidden Power fire

Swords Dance
Rock Slide

Earthquake
Megahorn

Swords Dance
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Megahorn

Agility/Sky Attack
Substitute
Rock Slide
Earthquake

Softboiled
Counter
Ice Beam
Light Screen

@ Leftovers
Counter/Reflect <- Can't have these together normally in Gen II
Mirror Coat <------/

Ice Beam
Protect

I'll stop, but I think my favorite is Nidoking. I always thought he was cool, but now he gets some interesting moves like Megahorn and Sludge Bomb. Heracross is also kind of nasty now.

EDIT: You know it just occurred to me you could trade to Gen 4. Not game breaking, but now you can do stuff like this:

Sunny Day
Solar Beam
Fire Blast
Thunder Punch

@ Charcoal
Sunny Day
Fire Blast
Solar Beam
Ancientpower (probably horrible but still funny)

Lovely Kiss/Rock Slide/Super Fang
Earthquake
Megahorn
Sludge Bomb

Super Fang
Sludge Bomb

Confuse Ray
Substitute/Protect

Last edited:
my favorite : ursaring with cross chop ;)
Swords Dance
Double-Edge/Return
Cross Chop
Earthquake

Jesus Christ that’s terrifying.

Man Gen 3 changes a lot for Gen 2 already. Gen 4 adds so much more.

Out of boredom, not that I'm competitive in GSC, I think these would be threats in the tradeback, assuming you trade up to 4th Gen:
(here you go aklla28))
@ Polkadot Bow
Swords Dance
Cross Chop
Earthquake
Return

What a monster. After one Swords Dance, it doesn't even need Cross Chop for Blissey; Return will always OHKO. If you could somehow get in two Swords Dance, even Curselax at +2 will be a guaranteed OHKO after a critical hit Cross Chop. Good luck sending in Skarmory to phaze it if Ursaring is healthy enough and at +2 attack. One critical hit at a minimum will be around 80% damage. Sacking Gengar with Destiny Bond would get rid of it I guess.

@ Quick Claw
Sludge Bomb/Super Fang
Megahorn/Thunder/Super Fang
Earthquake
Lovely Kiss

Now Nidoking has some new moves to be more physical. Sludge Bomb has slightly higher BP with type bonus, but Megahorn would always OHKO Exeggutor who think they can stay in. Not game breaking, but can be a physical orientated swiss army knife. Gen 4 adds more with the addition of Super Fang. Even without Thunder, Skarmory cannot tank you with Curse without getting a chunk taken out of it.

@ Silver Powder
Swords Dance
Megahorn
Rock Slide
Earthquake

Even Blissey and Snorlax don't want a piece of this. At +2 even without Silver Powder, Megahorn will always OHKO Blissey. Snorlax will survive at full health but it stills takes over 80%.

Substitute
Pain Split
Thunderbolt
Ice Punch/Spite

This thing would probably be annoying.

@ Leftovers
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Substitute
Sky Attack

30% flinch rate isn't a joke.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)