Resource GSC Simple Question, Simple Answer Thread

Century Express

melodies of life
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Is stall in a good place recently in the GSC metagame?
The current metagame favors Offensive-oriented teams IMO (even if only slightly), but Stall teams are perfectly fine in modern GSC.

However, defensive teams are prone to momentum issues - if the Stall player loses the advantage position (e: via outplay, team match-up, misplays, surprise factor, RNG and whatnot), it'll be a very difficult task to overcome a bad gamestate, since this playstyle has a passive nature. Despite these flaws, a well-built & well-played Stall has a great payoff, depending of your opponent's style / team preferences.

First, I'll start by introducing myself. I've played GSC as a competitive meta since 2000, where I attended a pulp culture convention that had a Gameboy link-cable tournament. I had been using the RBY rare candy exploit to get level 100 mons, but I discovered their stats were always much poorer, even with max hp ups/calcium etc. I remember my lv 80ish Arcanine went up 18 points of a single stat when I leveled up searching for Suicune. I thought I was a pro. I got schooled in the final by spikes Forretress and Snorlax, and learned about stall the hard way. I played with friends, battled myself with 2 Gameboys and attended the annual convention for the tournament for the next 3 years.

Never in this time did anyone have a NYC exclusive move on one of their mons. Never did I encounter one, even meeting 100s of other trainers and trading extensively. My old cartridges have since died, and I'm guessing many others around the world have to.

I got over the new gens and went back to GSC, it's always been my favourite meta - now on the 3DS. There is no way to get NYC exclusive moves. In 20 years of playing GSC have I ever seen a NYC move anywhere other than on Showdown. Many were Japanese version exclusive giveaways in an age before the internet - so link cable in person only. A very limited number of these mons ever existed and it's only logical to assume most had garbage DVs.

Why does Showdown have it's own version of GSC? Why do we play a meta that never existed? I get it, Golem gets rapid spin and the Eeveelutions get growth, it makes the meta more diverse and interesting. Why not go a step further and increase the stats of NU mons? Why not just give Moltres solarbeam? I mean you're playing a made-up meta anyway. I don't see Gen 3 just making up new movesets for Pokemon.

Whenever I get screwed over by a rapid spin Golem I just think 'Well it's not a real Pokemon anyway'. I use my team off the cartridge. If it is impossible to obtain on the cartridge then what is the point?

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I don't see Gen 3 just making up new movesets for Pokemon.
Wait, hold on, so you're effectively calling the NYPC moves fake because you never saw anyone using them, but point this out? You're aware that Gen 3 introduced Wish Chansey, which is quite literally one of the rarest Pokemon events of all time, right? This feels awfully hypocritical.

The point of PS is to give everyone what is at least technically legitimate. You can technically get a Rapid Spin Golem in GSC: a cartridge is out there that contains one, and it was distributed legitimately. It's very easy to back up Pokemon with tools like Stadium 2 and flash cards, so even save battery life isn't really a fair argument. It's like getting a version exclusive Pokemon or that super cool legendary you always wanted, but far less feasible, yes. Like those other Pokemon, though, they are obtainable...just really, really rare, and exclusive to those who lived in New York 21 years ago.

I don't see why the playing field needs to be capped off because we couldn't get them back then. It just seems to be really reductionist. I do, however, see why we should have that playing field evened out, which is done by letting everyone use those crazy rare events, rather than hindering meta diversity. It's more accurate and consistent with tiering policy to have them legal than it is to not. If you don't like it, then, well, why not play something like Nintendo Cup 2000, which also uses the official ruleset Nintendo had back then, while also being set in Japan where the events can't be obtained? Just food for thought.

TL;DR they exist and always have, no reason to remove them.

I'm putting an old desire into practice: Putting the GSC era UBER/OU/BL/UU Pokémon, with each of their respective sets, inside a pokemon crystal save so we could play with other people on the internet using Pokémon Stadium 2.

I've finished putting the UBER/OU/BL into a save and tested it, it's working.

I still need to get past the UU sets. But first, I would like to know if anyone would like to help with the project.

If anyone is interested, I will create a topic in the next days explaining a little more about the project.

I'm just not sure if I should create that topic here or in the Technical Projects area.

Is spike-less offense/spike-less teams in general viable?

I've been having some difficulties with my slightly modified version of the RestWak-BellyLax Heal Bell sample team. With Cloyster as a spiker and spinner, the lack of explosion often means Cloyster ends up being dead weight/death fodder once it gets spikes up. And those spikes are often spun away, and it's hard to get Cloyster back in to spike again, I'll get a free switch for it, it'll get spikes up again while they switch to their electric, and then I have to switch something into take a thunder, as they switch back to their spinner.

I've thought about just forgoing spikes altogether and dropping Cloyster for Starmie. My only counter to Skarm is Zapdos, and I don't like switching it into a bunch of toxics and drill pecks and double switches. A Starmie thunder always 2HKOs Skarm, especially since it'll probably already have some chip damage. Starmie threatening more switches will make spinning easier, and I can punish Gengar spinblocking with Psychic. Starmie does have pretty bad 4-moveslot syndrome though. It would help a lot to have recover, since Starmie is always gonna be switching into Spikes. I was doing some calcs and while I was considering Hydro Pump, it doesn't seem to get enough extra KOs to justify the accuracy loss.

Anyways, I know that was a lot, so to summarize
-What's your experience with spikeless offense?
-What's your experience with offensive Starmie (i.e. no Recover), do you think the extra coverage (Surf, Psychic, Thunder + Spin) is worth the decrease in survive-ability?

Siatam

is a Tutoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
RoA Leader
Is spike-less offense/spike-less teams in general viable?
I've been having some difficulties with my slightly modified version of the RestWak-BellyLax Heal Bell sample team. With Cloyster as a spiker and spinner, the lack of explosion often means Cloyster ends up being dead weight/death fodder once it gets spikes up. And those spikes are often spun away, and it's hard to get Cloyster back in to spike again, I'll get a free switch for it, it'll get spikes up again while they switch to their electric, and then I have to switch something into take a thunder, as they switch back to their spinner.
Just to be clear, the standard RestWak team is Snorlax/Raikou/Miltank/Skarmory/Starmie/Marowak.
From my understanding you are running Snorlax/Zapdos/Miltank/Skarmory/Cloyster/Marowak. That team seems horribly weak to electrics, but that's besides the point.

RestWak + Heal Bell support teams specifically do not run Spikes because Marowak alone provides enough offensive power to break defensive teams. By foregoing a Spiker, they are able to run a spinner with more longevity and utility, Starmie. Starmie is important because it can spin away Spikes many times during the game, but also is a much needed Machamp check and can spread paralysis with Thunder Wave.
I've thought about just forgoing spikes altogether and dropping Cloyster for Starmie. My only counter to Skarm is Zapdos, and I don't like switching it into a bunch of toxics and drill pecks and double switches. A Starmie thunder always 2HKOs Skarm, especially since it'll probably already have some chip damage. Starmie threatening more switches will make spinning easier, and I can punish Gengar spinblocking with Psychic. Starmie does have pretty bad 4-moveslot syndrome though. It would help a lot to have recover, since Starmie is always gonna be switching into Spikes. I was doing some calcs and while I was considering Hydro Pump, it doesn't seem to get enough extra KOs to justify the accuracy loss.
On your team Zapdos, or on more typical teams, Raikou really has nothing to fear from Skarmory. You take 12% max from from Drill Peck, which is immediately healed with Leftovers when the Skarmory switches out the next turn. Toxic is handled by Rest or Heal Bell. If you are worried about double switches, that is more a symptom of a lack of a reliable spinner or good defensive core.

On the topic of the Starmie moveset, for a team with Rest Marowak, Starmie should be dedicated to a support role which means Recover and Rapid Spin are a minimum. Thunder can work, but Twave is almost universally better, besides no sane opponent is going to stay in with Skarmory on Starmie. Psychic is a possible move choice to heavily punish Gengar and better check Machamp, but a paralyzed Gengar is great news for Marowak anyway.

Starmie doesn't really switch in on Spikes often, as it wants to switch in on the opposing Spiker as they use Spikes. Surf and Recover are good options mainly for reliability and playing a lengthy game. While you could call Rest Marowak teams "spikeless offense" I believe it leans more towards a Spikes-less stall, that defends against the opponents team until Marowak is in a position to pick up KO's.
What's your experience with spikeless offense?
They are viable but require a different play style, without Spikes chip you cannot rely on just throwing out strong moves. Spikes-less teams frequently use powerful set-up with team support such as Marowak, Belly Drum Snorlax, Belly Drum Charizard or Belly Drum Quagsire.
What's your experience with offensive Starmie (i.e. no Recover), do you think the extra coverage (Surf, Psychic, Thunder + Spin) is worth the decrease in survive-ability?
Not worth the decrease in survivability on a team using RestWak + Heal Bell, but can work on more aggressive Marowak teams, such as this sample team by Earthworm: https://pokepast.es/e441cfcc65b1604d.

Since Starmie lacks the stand alone offensive power to break through the specially defensive walls in the tier, you will more often see Starmie used for its utility. This role lends itself more towards longevity rather than offensive coverage. Even offensive Nightmare Starmie uses Recover and Substitute to take advantage of Sleep Talking opponents and Thunder inaccuracy.

In this generation sandstorm causes much more damage than in others, so I have questions, I am not an experienced player (I don't even speak English lol)
1.-Has anyone managed to make a sandstorm work with moderate success?
2.-Is using sandstorm a viable strategy?
3.-who would be the best sandstorm spreader, could it be a non-rock-steel-earth, example blissey?
4.-Is using sandstorm more profitable as a stall or aggressively?

In this generation sandstorm causes much more damage than in others, so I have questions, I am not an experienced player (I don't even speak English lol)
1.-Has anyone managed to make a sandstorm work with moderate success?
2.-Is using sandstorm a viable strategy?
3.-who would be the best sandstorm spreader, could it be a non-rock-steel-earth, example blissey?
4.-Is using sandstorm more profitable as a stall or aggressively?
1) Yes, players have won against strong opponents in tournament settings using teams that utilise Sandstorm.
2) Yes, although it is not usually considered a particularly reliable or powerful strategy.
3) Omastar is normally considered the best user of Sandstorm because it is immune to Sandstorm and it has a powerful STAB Surf. It is useful to have a strong special attack with Sandstorm because nearly all Pokemon with good Special Defense take damage from Sandstorm. Surf is exceptionally good because Ground- and Rock-types are weak to it, whereas with something like Magneton (which doesn't even learn Sandstorm), Ground-types will wall its strongest attack.
4) Omastar is typically used on more defensively aligned teams, so you could say that it works better on defensive teams. In theory, mixed attackers like Nidoking and Tyranitar could take advantage of Sandstorm effectively, but it is difficult to make it worthwhile to replace another move for it.

Now, im not much of an expert on GSC, in fact, im not much of an expert on anything, but can somebody explain to me why literally everything except 2-3 pokemons are running leftovers in this generation?

Now, if you can take some hits, i get it, leftovers are good, but why would you ever run leftovers instead of mint berry/PRZcureberry on your Jynx, your Alakazam, or similiar incredibly frail pokemons?

Zam isn't going to survive more than 1-2 attacks in all likelyhood, why not ensure it can actually attack for as many turns as possible?

phosphor

ghosts appear and fade away
is a Top Tutoris a Community Leader
B101 Leader
Now, im not much of an expert on GSC, in fact, im not much of an expert on anything, but can somebody explain to me why literally everything except 2-3 pokemons are running leftovers in this generation?

Now, if you can take some hits, i get it, leftovers are good, but why would you ever run leftovers instead of mint berry/PRZcureberry on your Jynx, your Alakazam, or similiar incredibly frail pokemons?

Zam isn't going to survive more than 1-2 attacks in all likelyhood, why not ensure it can actually attack for as many turns as possible?
Gen 2's DV mechanics mean that even supposedly "frail" mons like Jynx, Zam, and Espy have defensive niches that players would rather have on the table to utilize if the opportunity arises, and can actually live for quite a while. For example, Jynx doesn't instantly die to Egg or Gengar and might like to live a second Zapdos Thunder, and Zam would prefer to switch in on Machamp or such rather than doing 50 to Lax then dying. Offense is built on this kind of bandaid situational checking as opportunities to continue the attack, instead of clamming up. Also, MiracleBerry on random offensive stuff (especially in this Nido/ Jynx meta) is getting a bit more popular and No Item is also pretty good if you use Thief, it's not like Jynx always uses Lefties.

Last edited:
why hitmonlee is not considered better by the experts?

-has 87 base speed
-2ohko vs snorlax
-powerful reversal
-rapid spin, thief, mach punch

I understand that it sucks defensively and does not have a great list of movements, but snorlax that is its main target is present in almost all teams, it is also faster than a large part of the ou category (cloyster, heracross, exxegutos, blissey, machamp , skarmory, suicune, tyranitar, umbreon, misdreavus, blissey, snorlax, steelix, forrestress, marowak, nidoking, etc)

also unlike golem, rhydon, steelix, tyranitar, after a hitmonlee curse is still faster than snorlax, raikou reflect and blissey light screen help him well and are not uncommon to see in the ou scene, also hitmonlee enters very easy against tyranitar which is very used to stop snorlax, besides hitmonlee can also use substitute (without rapid spin), and I'm not counting the pokemon that can use leech seed or heall bell to help him, I mean because even charizaard is better considered than hitmonlee ?

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor

-has 87 base speed
-2ohko vs snorlax
-powerful reversal

I understand that it sucks defensively and does not have a great list of movements, but snorlax that is its main target is present in almost all teams, it is also faster than a large part of the ou category (cloyster, heracross, exxegutos, blissey, machamp , skarmory, suicune, tyranitar, umbreon, misdreavus, blissey, snorlax, steelix, forrestress, marowak, nidoking, etc)

also unlike golem, rhydon, steelix, tyranitar, after a hitmonlee curse is still faster than snorlax, raikou reflect and blissey light screen help him well and are not uncommon to see in the ou scene, also hitmonlee enters very easy against tyranitar which is very used to stop snorlax, besides hitmonlee can also use substitute (without rapid spin), and I'm not counting the pokemon that can use leech seed or heall bell to help him, I mean because even charizaard is better considered than hitmonlee ?
i’m not an expert, but i believe hitmonlee faces heavy competition from machamp. hitmonlee’s speed doesn’t really outspeed anything machamp doesn’t besides eggy, which champ speed ties. because of this, it’s pretty much stuck doing a sub + reversal set, which is just alright. again, i’m not an expert on this so take what i say with a bit of salt, but based on what i’ve seen and heard, this is why lee isn’t really seen much.

-has 87 base speed
-2ohko vs snorlax
-powerful reversal

Hitmonlee has major coverage issues (struggles against Zapdos, Gengar, Skarmory, Nidoking, Exeggutor, etc) and is substantially less physically bulky than Machamp. High Jump Kick is a lot less threatening to Curselax and Skarmory than Cross Chop. Reversal is much more situational and requires a favourable situation to work. Spikes limits its potential effectiveness.

When evaluating an offensive Pokemon, it makes sense to evaluate it based on what / how many common Pokemon limit its effectiveness, since the opponent will inevitably switch to them. The next criteria is how many common Pokemon it can enter the battle against. In Hitmonlee's case, it struggles to enter the battle against some of the Pokemon it wants to face without risking significant damage. This is in contrast to simply evaluating potential effectiveness based on what Pokemon it can heavily damage or OHKO.

However, it is very effective when its checks and counters have been eliminated since it can use Substitute with Reversal, unlike Heracross, which requires the opponent to attack it and bring it to <2% HP. Meditate is also helpful to a lesser extent. The problem is that setting up a situation where it can work is not easy.

I use google translator so I hope you understand what I am going to ask, I use this topic because if I create a new one it may be closed xD

context: an advantage that the simulator offers is that we can manufacture the metagame or format that is desired, I say this because a while ago gen 2 stabmons was tested (where the supremacy of normal pokemon in addition to zapdos-moltres-aerodactyl was noticed), I also saw before that a rby format had been made with pokemons from later generations, for example in this tier ursaring is broken, due to slash and hyperbeam without reloading

question:

Could more gen 2 formats be added?

I have 3 suggestions for new formats in gsc

1.-gen 2 with gen 7 mechanics: as simple as that, it would be great to see that the rest talk loop is no longer possible, giga drain with 75 power plus pp and now it can take down substitutes, thunder-blizzard-fire blast now have all 110 power, disable has 100 precision, hp fire can defrost, thunder wave cannot paralyze electrics, sleep lasts 3 turns maximum, sandstorm increases special def of rock-steel-ground, spikes that can damage 25% of life, self-destruct / explosion deals half damage, etc.

2.-gen 2 / if a pokemon of the gsc generation can learn a movement of the gsc generation in another later or earlier version then it can use it: in theory in this tier we would see aerodactyl with rock slide, heracross-rhydon with swords dance, ursaring with cross chop, articuno - lapras with heal bell, granbull-crobat have superfang, quagsire wins recover, venusaur wins sludge bomb, zapdos wins baton pass, magneton and quilfish win explosion, quilfish wins destiny bond, etc. that now if it would be viable cloyster spikes + rapid spin + explosion, nidoking moonligh + lovely kiss + rock slide + earthquake xD

3.-gen 2 with updated stats, because now the pokemons have changed their stats, dugtrio has more attack, poliwrath gained defense, dodrio gained more speed , exxegutor gain more spe def

We could vote too xD

Siatam

is a Tutoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
RoA Leader
I use google translator so I hope you understand what I am going to ask, I use this topic because if I create a new one it may be closed xD

context: an advantage that the simulator offers is that we can manufacture the metagame or format that is desired, I say this because a while ago gen 2 stabmons was tested (where the supremacy of normal pokemon in addition to zapdos-moltres-aerodactyl was noticed), I also saw before that a rby format had been made with pokemons from later generations, for example in this tier ursaring is broken, due to slash and hyperbeam without reloading

question:

Could more gen 2 formats be added?

I have 3 suggestions for new formats in gsc

1.-gen 2 with gen 7 mechanics: as simple as that, it would be great to see that the rest talk loop is no longer possible, giga drain with 75 power plus pp and now it can take down substitutes, thunder-blizzard-fire blast now have all 110 power, disable has 100 precision, hp fire can defrost, thunder wave cannot paralyze electrics, sleep lasts 3 turns maximum, sandstorm increases special def of rock-steel-ground, spikes that can damage 25% of life, self-destruct / explosion deals half damage, etc.

2.-gen 2 / if a pokemon of the gsc generation can learn a movement of the gsc generation in another later or earlier version then it can use it: in theory in this tier we would see aerodactyl with rock slide, heracross-rhydon with swords dance, ursaring with cross chop, articuno - lapras with heal bell, granbull-crobat have superfang, quagsire wins recover, venusaur wins sludge bomb, zapdos wins baton pass, magneton and quilfish win explosion, quilfish wins destiny bond, etc. that now if it would be viable cloyster spikes + rapid spin + explosion, nidoking moonligh + lovely kiss + rock slide + earthquake xD

3.-gen 2 with updated stats, because now the pokemons have changed their stats, dugtrio has more attack, poliwrath gained defense, dodrio gained more speed , exxegutor gain more spe def

We could vote too xD
While these alternate metagames look interesting, there is understandably little community interest in creating these new manufactured formats. The creation/development of these formats would probably need to be lead by one person/a small group of people.

If you are interested in creating one of these formats, I would direct you to the Pet Mods Forum, specifically the Solomods Megathread. The Showdown Coding discord can also help you with the technical aspects of creating a new mod.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
How exactly do Twineedle poison and Tri Attack status work? These two moves break the rules to a certain extent, being able to hit Pokemon with statuses they should normally be immune to. But are there limits? Are they both able to status anything of any type? Does they lack the ability to status same-type Pokemon (Twineedle can't poison Bug-types, Tri Attack can't status Normals)? Do they follow different rules from one another?

Siatam

RoA Leader
How exactly do Twineedle poison and Tri Attack status work? These two moves break the rules to a certain extent, being able to hit Pokemon with statuses they should normally be immune to. But are there limits? Are they both able to status anything of any type? Does they lack the ability to status same-type Pokemon (Twineedle can't poison Bug-types, Tri Attack can't status Normals)? Do they follow different rules from one another?
This something I’ve thought about but never looked at. Cool question, thanks for giving me the motivation to look into it.

This might leave the “simple answer” realm but anyways...
The poison status code only checks that the victim is not poison type. Steel type is not checked for because in every other scenario the type immunities check would end the turn before ever reaching this code block. Twinneedle is a bug type attack, so when attacking a steel type, both of these checks are evaded. Can’t say if this was an oversight or feature, leaning towards a “feature” that is conveniently memory efficient and was later changed for consistencies’ sake.

For freeze and burn statuses, the code checks that the victim does not have the same type as the attacking move. It is not that fire types are immune to burn, it is that fire types can not be burned by a fire type move.
There are no similar limits or immunities for the paralysis condition.

So it would appear the Tri Attack can paralyze normal types but cannot burn or freeze them. However; the code for checking move type against the target’s type excludes the normal type, specifically because of Tri Attack.

This is a certainly a strange way to check for status, but is probably slightly more memory efficient than copying the poison check logic for fire and ice types.

TLDR: Steel, fire, and ice types are not as immune to poison/burn/freeze as you think.

GSC assembly code below, bolded the most important parts.

BattleCommand_Poison:

ld hl, DoesntAffectText
ld a, [wTypeModifier]
and $7f
jp z, .failed

call CheckIfTargetIsPoisonType
jp z, .failed

ld a, BATTLE_VARS_STATUS_OPP
call GetBattleVar
ld b, a
ld hl, AlreadyPoisonedText
and 1 << PSN
jp nz, .failed

call GetOpponentItem
ld a, b
cp HELD_PREVENT_POISON
jr nz, .do_poison
ld a, [hl]
ld [wNamedObjectIndex], a
call GetItemName
ld hl, ProtectedByText
jr .failed

CheckIfTargetIsPoisonType:
ld de, wEnemyMonType1
ldh a, [hBattleTurn]
and a
jr z, .ok
ld de, wBattleMonType1
.ok
ld a, [de]
inc de
cp POISON
ret z
ld a, [de]
cp POISON
ret

BattleCommand_TriStatusChance:

call BattleCommand_EffectChance
.loop
; 1/3 chance of each status
call BattleRandom
swap a
and %11
jr z, .loop
dec a
ld hl, .StatusCommands
rst JumpTable
ret

.StatusCommands:
dw BattleCommand_ParalyzeTarget
dw BattleCommand_FreezeTarget
dw BattleCommand_BurnTarget

BattleCommand_BurnTarget:

xor a
ld [wNumHits], a
call CheckSubstituteOpp
ret nz
call GetBattleVarAddr
and a
jp nz, Defrost
ld a, [wTypeModifier]
and $7f
ret z
call CheckMoveTypeMatchesTarget

ret z
call GetOpponentItem
ld a, b
cp HELD_PREVENT_BURN
ret z
ld a, [wEffectFailed]
and a
ret nz
call SafeCheckSafeguard
ret nz
call GetBattleVarAddr
set BRN, [hl]
call UpdateOpponentInParty
ld hl, ApplyBrnEffectOnAttack
call CallBattleCore
ld de, ANIM_BRN
call PlayOpponentBattleAnim
call RefreshBattleHuds

ld hl, WasBurnedText
call StdBattleTextbox

farcall UseHeldStatusHealingItem
ret

BattleCommand_FreezeTarget:

xor a
ld [wNumHits], a
call CheckSubstituteOpp
ret nz
call GetBattleVarAddr
and a
ret nz
ld a, [wTypeModifier]
and $7f
ret z
ld a, [wBattleWeather]
cp WEATHER_SUN
ret z
call CheckMoveTypeMatchesTarget
ret z
call GetOpponentItem
ld a, b
cp HELD_PREVENT_FREEZE
ret z
ld a, [wEffectFailed]
and a
ret nz
call SafeCheckSafeguard
ret nz
call GetBattleVarAddr
set FRZ, [hl]
ld de, ANIM_FRZ
call RefreshBattleHuds

ld hl, WasFrozenText
call StdBattleTextbox

farcall UseHeldStatusHealingItem
ret nz

call OpponentCantMove
call EndRechargeOpp
ld hl, wEnemyJustGotFrozen
ldh a, [hBattleTurn]
and a
jr z, .finish
ld hl, wPlayerJustGotFrozen
.finish
ld [hl], $1
ret

BattleCommand_ParalyzeTarget:

xor a
ld [wNumHits], a
call CheckSubstituteOpp
ret nz
call GetBattleVarAddr
and a
ret nz
ld a, [wTypeModifier]
and $7f
ret z
call GetOpponentItem
ld a, b
cp HELD_PREVENT_PARALYZE
ret z
ld a, [wEffectFailed]
and a
ret nz
call SafeCheckSafeguard
ret nz
call GetBattleVarAddr
set PAR, [hl]
ld hl, ApplyPrzEffectOnSpeed
call CallBattleCore
ld de, ANIM_PAR
call RefreshBattleHuds
call PrintParalyze
ld hl, UseHeldStatusHealingItem
jp CallBattleCore

CheckMoveTypeMatchesTarget:
; Compare move type to opponent type.
; Return z if matching the opponent type,
; unless the move is Normal (Tri Attack).

push hl

ld hl, wEnemyMonType1
ldh a, [hBattleTurn]
and a
jr z, .ok
ld hl, wBattleMonType1
.ok

ld a, BATTLE_VARS_MOVE_TYPE
call GetBattleVar
cp NORMAL
jr z, .normal

cp [hl]
jr z, .return

inc hl
cp [hl]

.return
pop hl
ret

.normal
ld a, 1
and a
pop hl
ret

Last edited:

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ah, cool. Just to be clear, Twinneedle poison does *not* bypass "check if target is Poison-type", correct? The rest is super clear to me, thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)