OU GSC OU Secret Santa 2022

BeeOrSomething

Daylight Savings Time sucks
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
GSC OU Secret Santa 2022
DELIBIRDXMAS.png

Secret Santa is an event in which the members of a community anonymously exchange gifts between themselves. In this particular Secret Santa, which, deep down, will work similarly to a teambuilding workshop, each person who signs up will PM me with a Pokémon or a core (I'll provide more information on this below) they'd like someone else to build a team with. Afterwards, everyone who joined the project will receive one of the aforementioned ideas and will have to build a team with it until the submission deadline. Finally, the teams will be sent to the people who requested them and this thread will be used for further discussion. Easy, isn't it? Let's get to the rules then!
General Rules:
  1. Must be in GSC OU only.
  2. Post In to join, You must also PM me on Smogon or Discord what Pokemon / core you are requesting. Alternatively, you can pm Electroman102 on discord or smogon.
  3. Do not sign up unless you are committed to finishing the team in time.
  4. Avoid telling people what you received. This ruins the purpose of the project.
  5. Please avoid requesting choices that are completely unviable. Let's have fun making the teams, so feel free to think outside of the box, but let's not give someone the impossible task of making Stantler work in the OU. The goal is to have fun, not revolutionize the meta.
Submission Rules:
  • Each request submission should be sent through Smogon PM or on Discord (BeeOrSomething#6921 and electroman102#9601). You don't need to do it right after signing up, but if you fail to do it until the deadline then your sign up will be void.
  • Requests will be looked at on a case-by-case basis, but as long as you submit something semi reasonable, it should be fine.
  • Cores are usually preferred over individual Pokemon unless one of the Pokemon is known to be hard to build around or straight up uncommon. Once again, this will be looked into on a case-by-case basis, and while I might not directly enforce anything, I could end up suggesting changes. A vague description such as "Shuckle Stall" is also acceptable.
  • If you want your requested Pokemon or core to have specific sets, you're allowed to mention it.
  • After sign ups close, I'll use the same PM each user sent with their request in order to let them know the Pokemon or core that was assigned to them. I will also tell you who you are building for. Once you're done building, bump the PM with the end result.
  • Similarly to the Pokemon/core requests, it is preferred that you keep teams at least somewhat usable. However, you can try to feature less common elements if you prefer it that way. Just keep in mind that the goal is not to gimp people's creativity, so feel free to go wild if it fits you best!
  • A short description is appreciated, but not required.

Recommendations:
  • Don't be afraid to join just because you feel like your teambuilding skills aren't on par, this is a fun event and it can be used to improve your teambuilding skills!
  • You're allowed to change requests until the sign-up deadline, but I would prefer if you didn't swap too much!
  • Have fun!
TL;DR
  • Signup in this thread and PM me your core or individual Pokemon of choice through Smogon PM before 11:59 PM GMT-4 on December 14th.
  • Once the signup deadline passes (December 14th), I will use the same Smogon PM to tell you the core or individual Pokemon you got. I will also tell you who you are building for.
  • You have until the building deadline (11:59 PM GMT-4 on December 24th) to build your team and send it back using the same Smogon PM.
  • On Christmas (December 25th), I will distribute the teams to everyone through the original Smogon PM.
Building deadline will be December 24th 11:59 PM GMT-4
Teams will be distributed on December 25th
After teams are distributed, feel free to share in this thread!

Last edited:
I participated in two secret santas so I'll just share an opinion. I hard disagree with this last aspect. Builders could intentionally build something suboptimal or good based on whether they like the player they got assigned. That can sound arbitrary but if they have someone they think is a good player then the builder might want to increase the chances of their own success by not putting in as much effort in building for their assigned player, possibly even nerfing their core. I hope this makes sense.

Bottom line, even though it's a fun event, I think that who I have playing my team should not influence how I will be building.
Sorry for being a Karen.
  • Once the signup deadline passes (December 14th), I will use the same Smogon PM to tell you the core or individual Pokemon you got. I will also tell you who you are building for.

BeeOrSomething

I participated in two secret santas so I'll just share an opinion. I hard disagree with this last aspect. Builders could intentionally build something suboptimal or good based on whether they like the player they got assigned. That can sound arbitrary but if they have someone they think is a good player then the builder might want to increase the chances of their own success by not putting in as much effort in building for their assigned player, possibly even nerfing their core. I hope this makes sense.

Bottom line, even though it's a fun event, I think that who I have playing my team should not influence how I will be building.
Sorry for being a Karen.
I checked a view other secret Santa 2022 posts and they also include the part about telling each participant who they are building for. But, I can remove that part if you guys want me to.

Last edited:

BeeOrSomething

As for the part about not requiring teams to be at least somewhat usable, my definition the term is pretty broad, so if you want something like “girafarig + drum poliwrath full pass” then I’ll probably still accept it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)