Grumpig

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

80/45/65/90/110/80
Grumpig has always been "one of those" Pokemon. You know the ones I'm talking about, the Pokemon who occasionally find use in lower tiers but are often though of as "niche" or outright bad. Looking at the smogdex I have examples of this:
Gen 3: "it cannot be used in anything except the UU environment"
Gen 4: "Grumpig is a decent defensive Pokemon"
In generation 5, however, Grumpig found it's place in the NU tier. The problem with Grumpig was that even in NU it was often shafted aside, mainly because a bunch of Psychic-Type Pokemon ran rampant everywhere, and all were thought of as "better" than Grumpig however you wanted to use it. Now, however, Grumpig has found supporters. One of which is me.

Notable Moves:
Calm Mind
Psychic
Psyshock

Focus Blast
Heal Bell
Shadow Ball
Thunder Wave
Trick
Confuse Ray
Energy Ball
Grass Knot

Light Screen
Magic Coat
Mirror Coat
Reflect

Seismic toss
Signal Beam
Taunt
Trick Room
Whirlwind
Toxic
Power Gem
Sunny Day

As you can see Grumpig has a fantastic movepool to choose from. It can be choice, supporter, cleric, dual screener, fully-defensive, phazer and set-up sweeper effectively. How you use Grumpig is up to you and it is, in my opinion, the best Jynx counter in the tier -- thanks to it's Thick Fat ability. Many people acknowledge its ability to counter Jynx but they often say he is dead-weight besides that. This cannot be further from the truth, and I urge you try first try this grumpy old pig out.
So post your experiences or be inspired to try Grumpig out for yourself! You won't be disappointed!

Last edited:
Nice post, I'm definitely gonna try this as a Specially Defensive Wall alongside a Defensive Steel type (Good coverage, thanks to Thick Fat). I'll post how it went in an hour or two and possibly post a set

----EDIT----

I made a quick team using this as a Special Wall, and I can safely say that it has an excellent movepool for crippling opponents at the same time as helping yours. I used a moveset consisting of:

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpDef
Calm Nature
- Magic Coat / Taunt / Heal Bell
- Whirlwind
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave / Toxic

Personally I use Magic Coat because it can bounce back moves like Stealth Rock and Spikes as well as Pokemon looking to cripple it with status in which I could cripple them back and switch out to my Guts user, Gurdurr, to absorb the status and get a boost in power (this is also the reason I don't use Heal Bell, allowing for an extra support move)

It can also cripple many Special Attackers and Walls with Paralysis and Toxic, as well as using Whirlwind on Pokemon looking to set-up behind a sub (This is really good because Grumpig doesn't look like a Pokemon that would get a Phazing move in my opinion, so they will just continue to Calm Mind or whatever as you Whirlwind them out)

And to round off the set we have the basic attacking move for any Psychic-Type, Psychic! Coming off a base 90 Special Attack it's actually not too shabby and can easily easily do around 30% to a lot of Pokemon, however, all Pokemon have their flaws, and Grumpig is no exception, with no healing moves it has to rely on either Rest, which is a waste of a Moveslot if you ask me, or a Wish from another Pokemon, which is rather risky seeing as the Opponent's Pokemon can get a free hit on Grumpig, possibly KOing it.

Despite it's flaw(s), it is definitely a Pokemon you should consider having on your team and is an excellent Special Wall thanks to it's almost untouchable bulk and excellent Ability and Movepool.

Last edited:
Before the Jynx drop, I always used Hypno as a psychic type special wall due to better bulk and Wish, but now Grumpig has its merits over Pedo. I still prefer Hypno, but to each his own.

Specially Defensive Pig is one of the absolute most reliable counters to Jynx in the tier, being able to tank any hit it wants to go for, phase it out as it subs or Nasty Plots, and being able to paralyze it, effectively crippling it. It's colorful support movepool and nice Special Bulk in tandem with Thick Fat make it a fantastic glue for defensive teams. One problem it has, however, is that it has absolutely no recovery outside of Rest, which kinda sucks for a wall. This, however, can be patched up with Wish support from the likes of Alomomola and Audino, both of which appreciate the Fighting- Type and special attacks that Grumpig can absorb. Grumpig also has a decent Speed stat, which allows it to outspeed Tangela, Alomomola, and others, which is beneficial if you're running Toxic on the defensive set.

The Offensive set is one I'm fairly shaky about, but I think it has its merits. Grumpig has good bulk and good coverage, and Thick Fat allows it to snag many setup opportunities on the likes of ScarfZard and Samurott and Jynx. I could see SubCM being usable with Psychic + Focus Blast. I'm also extremely partial to anything that can run Power Gem because it's such a cool looking move (mind you, Grumpig has no reason to run it, but still).

People also tend to loverlook the fact that Grumpig makes a fantastic setter of Sun. With good speed for a wall, and Thick Fat to help eat up the Ice- and Fire- Type attacks that traditionally threaten common Sun Sweepers (also being a near perfect partner for Shiftry sans Bug-.). I've had a lot of fun with this set, actually:

Grumpig @ Heat Rock
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpDef
Calm Nature
- Sunny Day
- Taunt / Magic Coat
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Thunder Wave / Heal Bell

All in all, I really like Grumpig in this meta, where it finally gets to shine as a great answer to Jynx and other like minded Special Attackers.

EDIT: lol was that really all there was to say about Grumpig? Sorry for killing the convo, fellas :[

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)