Monotype Growing Wings (Monotype Dragon)

:dragalge: :cyclizar: :dragapult: :garchomp: :baxcalibur: :hydreigon:

Introduction

Hi everyone! I decided to build on dragon, although the metagame is not necessarily adapted to it currently. Indeed dragon seems to have problems to impose itself between the dark, fairy and water types which pullulate, and prevents it from blooming. So I went for a classic team but one that is able to quickly threaten the opponent to prevent him from overwhelming me with his threats. The team relies on toxic spikes and dragalge's contribution against match-up fairy, as well as Cyclizar's Shed Tail and Rapid spin abilities, to take a pokemon into the terrain, and allow it to get behind a substitute without sacrificing a slot.

Team

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

The strong point of Dragalge is clearly its very advantageous double type. Especially in a metagame where fairy is very present. Her type allows her to put down Toxic Spikes to benefit her teammates during the rest of the game, especially with Hydreigon substitute.
Dragalge also has the ability to hit annoying fairy types for the team, such as Flutter Mane, as well as Hatterenne cm which otherwise sweeps away dragon teams without difficulty.
Finally, although he has lost Flip Turn, thanks to Shadow Ball he can threaten pokemons that think they are coming to safety like Gholdengo. I find this pokémon indispensable to a mono dragon.

Cyclizar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 232 HP / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Draco Meteor
- Shed Tail

It is the second most important pokemon of the generation, its talent coupled with its support abilities are formidable, all with a speed defying any competition!
Cyclizar will not be a threatening pokemon to the opponent, but its ability to Knock Off to handicap opponents, Rapid Spin to clear the terrain, and then leave it by bringing a teammate behind a substitute makes it terrifying.
Finally, his compression of roles to support the team allows Dragon to reach its full potential.

Dragapult @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn

I think a lot of people would have seen a Dragapult Dragon Dance too, with Sucker Punch, but I finally opted for a safer option.
Dragapult scarf special, offers a better match-up against ghost (it outspeed flutter mane), dragon for mirror match-up, and water thanks to its access to Thunderbolt. Coupled with the Shed Tail ability, it is an excellent finisher against these types.
The downside of this set is that it's not very threatening against dark, and it doesn't do a lot of damage, so it can only threaten a team after it's exhausted. He will be supported in his role by physical (Baxcalibur) and special (Hydreigon) wallbreakers

Garchomp @ Roseli Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang

For Garchomp, I opted for a lead set with the Focus Sash, very classic, with Stealth Rock, Earthquake, Swords Dance, and Fire Fang to surprise especially the Corviknights who would try to defog, or any other Flying pokemon.
His role is simple, set the rocks, if possible threaten the opposing team with his moovepool, take advantage of his talent for pokemons that hit physically, and surprise the threats with the Sash to OHKO them, or weaken them.

Baxcalibur @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Thermal Exchange
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake / Brick Break

Baxcalibur is special, it has the same typing as Kyurem but cannot match the usefulness that Kyurem had in older generations. It was thought in its concept to be a physical bulldozer.
So, I gave up playing it scarf with Freeze Dry or Mixed LO. The only possible role for him is as a physical threat with Dragon Dance. He can act as a Sweeper as well as a Wallbreaker to weaken the opposing team.
His strength is also due to his ability, which prevents him from being burned, but other than that is anecdotal (if only he were immune to fire).
To make the best use of him, I chose to give him the Loaded Ice item, which increases the chance of hitting multiple times for multi-hit attacks.
Finally, his last move can be both Brick Break and Earthquake, I chose to play the Earthquake version to hit what I can't hit with Icicle Spear, but Brick Break allows to break screens. After a Dragon Dance, it becomes very difficult to revenge kill, and it can easily abuse the Shed Tail move.

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Substitute

Finally Hydreigon, I searched a lot for this sixth slot, and oriented myself first on noivern fast support, with Taunt and U-turn, it brought an important help for a team without pivoting. However, I was not convinced at all and found it too passive.
Afterwards, I asked myself what to bring to the team, and hydreigon substitute Nasty Plot appeared to me as the best compromise.
It can help against the match-up Ghost, Poison, Psychic or even abuse Substitute to let a pokemon weaken on Toxic Spikes.
It's a very interesting pokemon that, although having lost some options, was able to keep its offensive moovepool.

Threats
:chien-pao: Chien-pao is the equivalent of a demon for any dragon team, you can try to beat him by forcing him to icicle spear, then go to Baxcalibur and Dragon Dance, but then he will just leave and simply come back. The best solution is to hope that he is choice lock and wear him down with rocks and Toxic Spikes.

:hatterene: and :flutter mane: These are the two most threatening fairy pokemons for the team, Flutter mane because he just has to come to claim a kill until he decimates the team, and he can hide behind the screens. And Hatterene because despite the presence of Dragalge, he is able to hold Gunk Shot, especially under the screens, then try to sweep the team.

:scizor: Scizor is dangerous for the team, thanks to his ability to clean in last game, after a Swords Dance, if hydreigon or Garchomp is weaken.

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

Cyclizar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Draco Meteor
- Shed Tail

Dragapult @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang

Baxcalibur @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Thermal Exchange
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake / Brick Break

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Substitute

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)