Give me literally anything Pokémon related and I'll try and say positive things about it

While we're on the topic of responding to the original poster's responses...
I think at this point, bdt2002's optimism has been officially vanquished :P

behold the power of anime creators and mobile game monetization schemes!

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I think at this point, bdt2002's optimism has been officially vanquished :P

behold the power of anime creators and mobile game monetization schemes!
Heh. I was waiting for someone to say something like that. I knew I’d hit a wall eventually, but that was all a part of the plan. My optimism hasn’t gone anywhere. In fact, it’s only grown in the past few days. I must say, I appreciate the challenge- but at the end of the day, why I made this thread was to teach myself to be more positive amongst the chaos of this fandom. My goal has been accomplished, and what I can observe now is that when given the chance, people can and will take the opportunity to find things to complain about.

“But didn’t you ask us to do exactly that?”

Yes, I did, but what I didn’t expect was for the responses to be negative ones. In my head I envisioned this as people listening off specific topics, but when I threw in the part where “I’ll say something positive about it”, that right there changed everyone’s way of thinking. Certainly if this user’s being positive and asking for our opinions on things… certainly this an opportunity to really challenge him with random negative aspects?

And lo and behold, my hypothesis was correct.

Heh. I was waiting for someone to say something like that. I knew I’d hit a wall eventually, but that was all a part of the plan.
Ah, so you knew I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew

but

did you knew that I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew that new mew that I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew?

Huhhh?

HUHHHHHH?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
And lo and behold, my hypothesis was correct.
So does that mean I win because I didn't take the bait? Lopunny wasn't a negative thing, but rather was curious if you had anything to say about the bunny's "fandom".

But if you want a more positive one, fine, here's my next challenge (if you're still doing this): Seeing your avatar is one of the Pokemon Ranger protags, which is your favorite Pokemon Ranger game and how does it stand above the others?

I'd say my favorite would be Shadows of Almia. For two reasons: Storywise I feel it's the strongest. I like starting out in the Ranger School and then seeing how the wider Ranger Union worked. While Team Dim Sun isn't the best dressed villain group, I feel they were a better organized team which made them feel like a legitimate threat throughout the game. I also liked many of the characters and their individual stories and the side missions that'll come from them. Gameplay wise it was a massive improvement above the first Pokemon Ranger (not having to catch Pokemon in one looping was a big plus). And instead of a definitive partner like the other two have, they allowed you to have a partner Pokemon one of each Type (which was 17 at the time as Fairy didn't exist); allowing you to sorta prepare for certain challenges by assuring you'll at least have one Pokemon of the Type you want.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
So does that mean I win because I didn't take the bait? Lopunny wasn't a negative thing, but rather was curious if you had anything to say about the bunny's "fandom".

But if you want a more positive one, fine, here's my next challenge (if you're still doing this): Seeing your avatar is one of the Pokemon Ranger protags, which is your favorite Pokemon Ranger game and how does it stand above the others?

I'd say my favorite would be Shadows of Almia. For two reasons: Storywise I feel it's the strongest. I like starting out in the Ranger School and then seeing how the wider Ranger Union worked. While Team Dim Sun isn't the best dressed villain group, I feel they were a better organized team which made them feel like a legitimate threat throughout the game. I also liked many of the characters and their individual stories and the side missions that'll come from them. Gameplay wise it was a massive improvement above the first Pokemon Ranger (not having to catch Pokemon in one looping was a big plus). And instead of a definitive partner like the other two have, they allowed you to have a partner Pokemon one of each Type (which was 17 at the time as Fairy didn't exist); allowing you to sorta prepare for certain challenges by assuring you'll at least have one Pokemon of the Type you want.
I'll take these one at a time. I wouldn't say this was a competition of sorts, but if you'd like to think of it that way... yes, I'll give you the credit of winning. I feel like any Pokémon's fandom (yes, even Lopunny) can respect the good things it offers to the table. They choose not to because it's the Internet and people are apparently really horny for a fictional rabbit. (Wouldn't be the first time people have done that.)

As for which of the Ranger trilogy's games is... it's not exactly a well-kept secret that it's Guardian Signs, but I've got to admit that the others more than have their perks too. Guardian Signs enshrined itself as arguably my favorite game of all time since no other game in history has left as much of an impact on me. I absolutely love the 3D Mario games. I absolutely love most (some are just okay) Smash Bros. games. There's even this one game for the PS2 and the Wii that was one of only three games to ever make me cry at the end, a feat that none of the Ranger games could even accomplish. But in spite all of that, Guardian Signs was the game that started an entire franchise for me, with far from perfect but still solid gameplay throughout. As someone who didn't have access to multiplayer for the wireless multiplayer missions- because oh yeah that's an entire game mode too- I can't overstate just how hyped I was at first for Scarlet & Violet's co-op mode. Finally, after 12 years of single player, I could... kind of recreate that experience? Kind of? It's a bit of a stretch, I know.

The Ability Minus and how the one game it could have been useful in (Pokemon Colosseum) cut out Shadow Minun for no reason at all.
If I'm not mistaken, you're referring to the incredibly stupid decision for what's-his-name (Duking?) to have a Plusle you can get in Colloseum, but like you said, no Minun to be seen in this game. This... this one really hurts to think about, given Colloseum's entire thing is Double Battles and Shadow Pokémon. I'm really reaching for things here, but at least it still works in Colloseum Mode if you can trade a Minun over...?

To all whom it may concern: We can still continue this thread/challenge if you'd like. I'll still be accepting responses, but I'd like to think you've all managed to get your points across as I have mine. Your submissions can be whatever they want, too. I know what I said in my last post, but I'm perfectly content with the fun challengeI've had up to this point. So instead of being sad... why not keep this thing going?

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Oh, one more thing. I do apologize for double posting here, but there's one more thing I wanted to go over. Well... two things. I unfortunately couldn't have fit all of this into one post if I tried, but at the end of the day...

1677121725268.png

1677121752025.png

Maybe it's because I was starting work on my Super Mario crossover at the time of Scarlet & Violet's release, but... come on, I can't be the only one who sees it.

For something more humourous, I'd like your take on a Delibird expy (Iron Bundle) and a Misdreavus expy (Flutter Mane) being among the first Gen 9 Pokemon quickbanned to Ubers.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'll take these one at a time. I wouldn't say this was a competition of sorts, but if you'd like to think of it that way... yes, I'll give you the credit of winning.
I was about "winning" joking, BTW. :blobnom:

As for which of the Ranger trilogy's games is... it's not exactly a well-kept secret that it's Guardian Signs
Out of curiosity how did you feel about the Ranger Sign gimmick? The game is fun, but I was let down by the game's gimmick for how limited they were with it despite its potential.

Maybe it's because I was starting work on my Super Mario crossover at the time of Scarlet & Violet's release, but... come on, I can't be the only one who sees it.
I thought everyone makes that comparison. Not exactly to the Rock Mushroom, but it's hard to see a mushroom-shaped creature with eyes and not think of a Super Mushroom. But, it seems like the Nacli line creator, Hitoshi Ariga, has on multiple occasions said Nacli wasn't based on either the Mario mushrooms or took aesthetic inspiration from Minecraft (so much so that he got fed up and closed off Twitter responses).

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Out of curiosity how did you feel about the Ranger Sign gimmick? The game is fun, but I was let down by the game's gimmick for how limited they were with it despite its potential.
Nostalgic? Very. Possibly referenced in Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire? Yes, but the game's been out for over eight years now (feel old yet?) and we still have no confirmation of if that was intended or just a coincidence with Soaring.

I think wasted potential is a pretty good way to explain this if I take my nostalgia glasses off. All of the Legendary Beasts play similarly outside of their niche overworld uses, and even Latias/Latios isn't that big of an upgrade over Staraptor in most cases due to fast travel and the fact that their aerial Poké Assist is fine, but not great to the point of breaking the game wide open like Ukulele Pichu can.

I'll take these one at a time. I wouldn't say this was a competition of sorts, but if you'd like to think of it that way... yes, I'll give you the credit of winning. I feel like any Pokémon's fandom (yes, even Lopunny) can respect the good things it offers to the table. They choose not to because it's the Internet and people are apparently really horny for a fictional rabbit. (Wouldn't be the first time people have done that.)

As for which of the Ranger trilogy's games is... it's not exactly a well-kept secret that it's Guardian Signs, but I've got to admit that the others more than have their perks too. Guardian Signs enshrined itself as arguably my favorite game of all time since no other game in history has left as much of an impact on me. I absolutely love the 3D Mario games. I absolutely love most (some are just okay) Smash Bros. games. There's even this one game for the PS2 and the Wii that was one of only three games to ever make me cry at the end, a feat that none of the Ranger games could even accomplish. But in spite all of that, Guardian Signs was the game that started an entire franchise for me, with far from perfect but still solid gameplay throughout. As someone who didn't have access to multiplayer for the wireless multiplayer missions- because oh yeah that's an entire game mode too- I can't overstate just how hyped I was at first for Scarlet & Violet's co-op mode. Finally, after 12 years of single player, I could... kind of recreate that experience? Kind of? It's a bit of a stretch, I know.

If I'm not mistaken, you're referring to the incredibly stupid decision for what's-his-name (Duking?) to have a Plusle you can get in Colloseum, but like you said, no Minun to be seen in this game. This... this one really hurts to think about, given Colloseum's entire thing is Double Battles and Shadow Pokémon. I'm really reaching for things here, but at least it still works in Colloseum Mode if you can trade a Minun over...?

To all whom it may concern: We can still continue this thread/challenge if you'd like. I'll still be accepting responses, but I'd like to think you've all managed to get your points across as I have mine. Your submissions can be whatever they want, too. I know what I said in my last post, but I'm perfectly content with the fun challengeI've had up to this point. So instead of being sad... why not keep this thing going?
Yes I’m referring to how Duking gives you the traded Plusle but Minun is not obtainable without trading from a GBA game (only accessible after seeing the credits roll). And if you’re trading from a GBA game I doubt you’d do Mt. Battle with Plusle and Minun, or any of the high level postgame stuff.

also another thing to try and spin positive: why is Plusle at level 13 when you start the game with two level 25s? Sure you get traded EXP but this basically forces you to EXP Share.

And why is Shadow Remoraid level 20? That is literally a carryover from the levels it could be caught in GSC maingame to my memory, which makes me think it was added late in development as a last-minute addition.

Here's one: What's your take on the various Gen 9 paths, as I've heard mixed opinions about them both individually and collectively, ranging from too short to bringing variety to individually-good without doing much together, etc.

Also the fact that in many ways both good and not good, Gen 9 is sort of a successor/redux of several Gen 7 elements.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
And why is Shadow Remoraid level 20? That is literally a carryover from the levels it could be caught in GSC maingame to my memory, which makes me think it was added late in development as a last-minute addition.
The only possible reason I can think of is that this was done to allow access to the move Octazooka, which would otherwise be unobtainable if Remoraid came at, say, level 30.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Here's one: What's your take on the various Gen 9 paths, as I've heard mixed opinions about them both individually and collectively, ranging from too short to bringing variety to individually-good without doing much together, etc.

Also the fact that in many ways both good and not good, Gen 9 is sort of a successor/redux of several Gen 7 elements.
Part of what I believe make Pokémon Scarlet & Violet’s appeal so limited to returning fans despite an impressive sales count (well, aside from the glitches, of course) is that it’s hard for a player to try and focus on only one of the main three storylines at once. The open-world nature of the game as well as what happens near the end of the game forces the player to try and play three Pokémon games at once, whereas an approach where each story path in Paldea being treated like its own separate game from the other two may feel less cluttered by comparison.

In regards to the Gen 7 comparisons: the only one that caught my immediate attention was how much Titan Pokémon reminded me of Alola’s Totem Pokémon (and to a much lesser extent, the Noble Pokemon in Hisui), but other than that I feel as if Paldea is different enough thanks to being one major landmass as opposed to dedicated sections in the form of islands (and by extension, the Aether Foundation area).

By all accounts, my preferred main game on the Switch shouldn't be BDSP. It's an outsourced port with questionable code quality and doesn't compare favourably to a game over a decade prior. It fails to integrate the source game with the then-current gen 8 material. But in a time when all change seems to be for the worse, I can't be bothered to care that laziness is the reason for keeping the good parts intact.

In regards to the Gen 7 comparisons: the only one that caught my immediate attention was how much Titan Pokémon reminded me of Alola’s Totem Pokémon (and to a much lesser extent, the Noble Pokemon in Hisui), but other than that I feel as if Paldea is different enough thanks to being one major landmass as opposed to dedicated sections in the form of islands (and by extension, the Aether Foundation area).
For reference, the other aspects that comes to mind with the story comparisons for me include
  • Other worldly/abnormal Pokemon near the endgame thematically linked by an ability in-game
  • One of the region's leading scientific minds turning out to be a semi-antagonist with an unhealthy obsession with said Pokemon (SV this more in reference to the late Professor than their more active AI counterpart)
  • A companion to your non-Gym progression path with a non-battle-capable Pokemon companion and a massive amount of familial baggage with said antagonist
  • The antagonist team who are more delinquents or misfits than actual criminals (more tenuous because the members don't have much in common with Skull's heads or the corresponding Rival character)
  • Early introduction to the Legendary with a definite connection to the endgame reveals, traveling with you the whole time but kept completely out of the battle or conflict until the very end.

The only possible reason I can think of is that this was done to allow access to the move Octazooka, which would otherwise be unobtainable if Remoraid came at, say, level 30.
Actually that makes some twisted sense????

But couldn't they just give it to Remoraid and make it a purified move over freaking Lock-On? It has Shadow Rush, Lock-On, Psybeam, and Aurora Beam, and BubbleBeam over Shadow Rush once purified. So not only does it have NO STAB until it is purified, it's also underleveled so LOL even more, ouch.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Actually that makes some twisted sense????

But couldn't they just give it to Remoraid and make it a purified move over freaking Lock-On? It has Shadow Rush, Lock-On, Psybeam, and Aurora Beam, and BubbleBeam over Shadow Rush once purified. So not only does it have NO STAB until it is purified, it's also underleveled so LOL even more, ouch.
I was about to say "but Remoraid can't earn Octazooka" and then decided to check that at the last minute and whaddyaknow, it can! By breeding, though, which is largely not a thing NPC Pokemon adhere to.

Ironically, it is a thing in XD, where most of the Shadows have

-one level-up move
-one TM or tutor move
-one egg move
-one outright special move

And obvs you'd be able to breed your purified Remoraid/Octillery in the other games and get Octazooka that way... so idk. "Twisted sense" definitely sums it up, it's an odd case all round.

I joined Smogon way back in 2009 and then took a looong break right before the start of BW until a couple months ago. I'm completing the Pokedex in Emerald and in Platinum before I play Gen V for the first time ever. What added features or changes in those games do you think someone who has never played beyond Gen IV will be most pleased with?

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Part of what I believe make Pokémon Scarlet & Violet’s appeal so limited to returning fans despite an impressive sales count (well, aside from the glitches, of course) is that it’s hard for a player to try and focus on only one of the main three storylines at once. The open-world nature of the game as well as what happens near the end of the game forces the player to try and play three Pokémon games at once, whereas an approach where each story path in Paldea being treated like its own separate game from the other two may feel less cluttered by comparison.

Yeah it may have been nice to have been able to pick a single storyline and follow it through. But then obviously that would make you horrendously overleveled for coming back to another story path, plus you can’t actually finish the game until all 3 paths are beaten. Its a hard problem to solve for Pokemon in particular with how the game works. If you only let players choose one path rather than all 3 they’ll complain about how restrictive it is and how little content there is.

Tinkaton only having 75 base attack.

okay, maybe it's not that bad but still. It's a lil goblin with the strength to lift and swing a 220-pound hammer.

Tinkaton only having 75 base attack.

okay, maybe it's not that bad but still. It's a lil goblin with the strength to lift and swing a 220-pound hammer.
It's a creative way to emphasize Tinkaton's gremlin nature in tandem with Gigaton hammer's extreme base power. It gives the sense most of the destructive power is in the weapon she wields while the Pokemon herself is just a little klepto messing with you until she has the energy to swing it again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)