Entertainment Geology of the Pokémon regions - an article proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. :)

As a passionate amateur geologist (hopefully professional in a couple of years time when I finish my degree), I think it would be interesting for a series of articles on the "hypothesised" geological history of the different Pokémon regions to appear in the upcoming editions of The Smog. It's definitely a challenging proposal, but I'm pretty confident I could pull it off in a clear, accessible way.

What this article entails:

• At the basic level, it is essentially a similar concept to the Pokémon Biology article series in that it is an application of science into a fictitious, pseudoscientific scenario for the sake of entertainment. This means that this article series, as is the Pokémon Biology series, will be entirely speculative.
  • The article is going to be based upon analysing maps from the different Pokémon regions (like here's Kanto for instance), isolating any key geological features that may or may not be apparent and describe them, coming up with a few sketches.
  • I will use my observations to create a geological map and superimpose it onto the region map (color-coded maps).
  • Based upon my observations of the "modern" region maps, I will come up with an arbitrary yet logical sequence which summarises the key geological events through time.
  • The main goal is making this article interesting for everyone. Obviously there's potential for rambling here, but I have confidence that I'll be able to make this article an entertaining read. I already have some experience of writing about geology for the general audience, which was one of my university assignments. Technically this isn't even real geology anyway; it's just a fun exercise.
  • I am also aiming for concision. No one likes to read huge blocks of text. In fact, I imagine this article would be very visual anyway - I find that really helps when it comes to understanding interpretations.

I have made a small start on this article already, which I can show if there's interest in this concept. I should have enough free time on my hands currently to do a solid job of this.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
You've talked to me about this article in the past, and I find if fascinating. I know it'd probably be difficult, but you could also talk about how some Pokemon form the geology, like Diglett Cave and the Seafoam Islands. I definitely approve of this, but I'd like to see what the other staff thinks too.

This sounds very interesting, and like quite a unique perspective. Approved~

Also, agreed with Birkal! Pacifidlog is one of my favourite areas...~

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Groovy B)

Go here and apply for The Smog Access. We'll get you set up in our hidden Article Workshop forum once you've done that, so post here once you've completed that task. Thanks for applying; can't wait to work with you!

Alright I've applied, thanks a lot. :)

I know it'd probably be difficult, but you could also talk about how some Pokemon form the geology, like Diglett Cave and the Seafoam Islands.
Yeah, I plan to bring such aspects into my analysis. I am aiming this article at towards the Pokémon community, after all. :P

Birkal

We have the technology.
Excellent. You're approved, and you can now see this forum. You'll see a big stickied thread there called What Are We Doing (WAWD). Post in there that you'll be writing this article, and then get to work on it whenever it's convenient for you. Remember, try to have it done within a month. Two rules to follow:

1) Get your stuff done on time. If there's ever a situation that comes up, talk with The Smog Staff, and we'll make accommodations. The key here is communication; we need to hear from you if something is up that will prevent you from meeting the deadline.

2) Don't leak any of our stuff until the release happens. This includes art and any other information. If you ever want feedback on your work or have questions, you can join us in #thesmog on IRC (if you don't have IRC, you can PM me on the forums and I'll show you how to use it).

Thanks for joining us; I look forward to this article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)