Genesect

Genesect isn't Uber tier material as most expected him to be. This is a good thing, because now he's available in OU. So lets take a look at his most potent abilities.

Base Stats:
HP: 71
Attack: 120
Defense: 95
Special Attack: 120
Special Defense: 95
Speed: 99

Genesect @ Life Orb
Trait: Download
EVs: 88 Def / 252 SAtk / 168 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rock Polish
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam / Bug Buzz
- Thunderbolt / Hidden Power [Ground]

This is the very first set I tried out on Genesect when I first started play competitively in the tier. It provides Genesect with enough speed to outrun Jolly Excadrill in Sand and every other Pokemon in the Game after using Rock Polish. Along with Genesects ability Download (this raises his special attack stat when the opponents Pokemon's defense is larger than its special defense and vice versa) coupled with his great base defensive stats of 95 def and sp def allows him to pull off the move Rock Polish and still have enough Hp left to sweep a team if he is partially damaged. Hidden power Ground provides excellent coverage for Genesect, who is a fire type magnet. Ice Beam provides a definite OHKO with LO to most dragon types before and after the possible boost in special attack.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf/Choice Specs/ Expert Belt
EVs: 16 Atk / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd
Hasty/Naive Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam / Bug Buzz
- Thunderbolt /Hidden Power [Ground]

Genesect is also a great revenging Pokemon for any team that can put pressure on the opponent with his ability download once again. Scarf Genesect outspeeds the most common dragon dancers, which are Dragonite, Gyarados, and Haxorus. He can easily KO all three with ice beam and thunderbolt. Along with the power of course comes the option of a great stab move that could be used instead of thunderbolt in many cases based on your team, which IFM explained. Another great attribute of scarf Genesect is that he can receive a boost in Attack power to abuse his stab uturn, which makes him a great addition to Volt Turn teams. Sets like this allow you to take advantage of Genesect's great typing, because he takes neutral damage from entry hazards, no damage from toxic spikes, no damage from sandstorm, and resists Priority moves like bullet punch and extreme speed. If your team doesn't need the speed, but favors the power go with Choice Specs/Life orb Genesect. This version runs max speed because it has no speed boost of course. This set is very powerful and effective without a speed boost mostly because of Genesects nearly perfect 99 base speed stat. This will out speed most of the Pokemon that don't run max speed with base 100 speed and puts pressure on bulky Pokemon like Jirachi and Celebi who have no way to fight back other than fire moves that won't OHKO without a boost. You can also Uturn on Blissey doing well over 50% if you have the download boost. Choice specs Genesect is also very good as IFM pointed out, because you can bluff choice scarf and then completely fool the opponent with the power of Choice Specs Genesect. Expert Belt is a very good option for this move set. It takes bluffing to a whole new level when the opponent has no idea that you aren't choiced at all because nearly all Genesect are choiced or LO.

Checks/Counters
Genesect's different sets are all very viable on several teams. The question now is how do you beat the majority of them, which will either be LO or Scarf? Chansey is Genesect's number 1 counter because eviolite bold nature prevents Genesect from doing shocking damage with Uturn. Genesect will simply either get a status or hit by seismic toss if it takes on Chansey. Specially Defensive Jellicent is also a decent check to LO and Scarf Genesect, because he won't get the Special Attack boost and won't be nearly as effective scarfed attackng Jellicent. Although Jellicent can't fight back much a burn or scald can eventually take Genesect out. The last Counter would be protect Heatran, who can scout for hidden power ground, although he'd probably get uturned on before he could land the KO. Checks would consist of Scarf Terrakion, Scarf Chandelure, LO Excarill, Magnezone when the move isn't super effective towards it and Genesect is choiced, and other scarf pokemon. If you don't have speed or extensive strategy this Pokemon is going to be a major problem. It's the fast mixed agility Scizor we've always dreamed of.

His over all great coverage, speed, power, versatility, and typing make him one hard Pokemon to match and handle in battle.
Are there anymore sets that Genesect's great move pool can pump out? Discuss here.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As you know, we both have had a lot of success with the Rock Polish set, very underrated since most people switch expecting to eat a U-turn and can be put into a high pressured position especially mid or late game.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Another great set that a lot of people don't seem to be using much is the Choice Specs set. Most people assume it is the standard Choice Scarf set when they see it U-turning, until they get smashed by Bug Buzz's coming from a Specs Download boost Genesect.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't see what Flash Cannon has over Ice Beam on the Scarf set. Why hit Haxorus and Dragonite with Flash Cannon when Ice Beam always outdamages them and gets better type coverage?

Great suggestions. I will put Ice Beam as the primary and flash cannon as the other option. Specs as a bluff is a great option. I will add specs as the secondary option For the Life Orb set. Changes will be in bold.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
There is absolutely no need to have flash cannon at all. Bug buzz should also probably be slashed in over Thunderbolt. Genesect really needs U-turn, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, but Bug Buzz and Tbolt are equally good for the last slot.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You may as well just unite the Choice scarf and Choice Specs set into one and then just slash the differences in.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Without Thunderbolt though, a ton of Water-types beat Genesect, like Jellicent and Gyarados. Fire-types too, although the only thing that Genesect can do to them is hope it has Thunder, rain up, and an SAtk boost.

I'd have to agree with Hawkstar as far as Thunderbolt is concerned, because of waters that have the capability to shut Genesect without a really damaging move down. Uturn is the only bug type move I can see Genesect having use for. IFM please provide a scenario so I can take your opinion into consideration and test it myself.

Thanks for the structure support Zephyr. I will edit that along with adding Checks and Counters.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
Its mainly just to have a reliable stab move besides U-Turn. Sure in most situations Thunderbolt will be the better choice, but if you compare it to flash cannon Bug Buzz is the better move. It will hit nuetral Polemon harder and can also allow for a Super Effective hit on Reuniclus, Espeon, Tyranitar, and Mew when U-Turn won't cut it.

Ok I see exactly what you are talking about now and agree completely. I've taken Flash Cannon out of the post completely. The main sets should be perfect now. Genesect has potential to use other sets also and I am sure many people have tried other variants. Lets see if they are truly viable!

Genesect @ Life Orb
EVs: 88 Def / 252 SAtk / 168 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rock Polish
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam / Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]
NONONONONONONONONONONONONO YOU'RE DOIN IT WRONG. [/rage]

Genesect is not a Fire-type magnet, they're all scared of getting 2HKOed by Thunderbolt. Speaking of which, it should be the primary option over Hidden Power. I've found that Genesect's primary counter is Jellicent, and Thunderbolt demolishes it, especially if you get the SpA boost from Download. I personally carry a set of Rock Polish/Flamethrower/Bug Buzz/Thunderbolt, and everything that Ice Beam hits, Thunderbolt simply 2HKOs (other than Dragonite, but Dragonite is a whore).

I've used this bad boy a lot, he's a beast ;)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just saying, I personally like more Atk EVs on Scarf Genesect so U-turn can actually hurt things. I'm currently using 128 Atk / 128 SpA / 252 Spe Hasty at the moment to split them up, and with that spread, you're still running 307 on both Attacking stats (equivalent to neutral natured base 104), which is alright. Uninvested (or close to uninvested) U-turn is really, really weak.

What do the EVs accomplish on the Rock Polish set? I'm honestly interested, since I'm just getting into this tier. Wouldn't Modest be better, since you're already doubling your Speed?

What do the EVs accomplish on the Rock Polish set? I'm honestly interested, since I'm just getting into this tier. Wouldn't Modest be better, since you're already doubling your Speed?
It's to outspeed Jolly Excadrill in Sand. Like he says XD. So no, Modest isn't better.

Sorry, I must be more accurate with statements next time.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3461206

So Scarf-Terrakium is pretty much the fastest Pokemon Polisher need to outspeed. I may have mistook something, please tell me when I do.
I believe what Matthew meant, is that those are the banned Pokemon from BW OU that are currently allowed in DW OU. At the moment, Genesect would benefit from outrunning an Excadrill in the sand because it is currently legal in DW OU.

Because Hidden Power Water or Hidden Power Ground get the job done, don't waste your item, and don't broadcast what your item is to the opponent. To be frank the drives are complete ass.

Because Hidden Power Water or Hidden Power Ground get the job done, don't waste your item, and don't broadcast what your item is to the opponent. To be frank the drives are complete ass.
I really can't think of better item for it though, as I already use Life Orb for Hydreigon, and I don't trust Choice Items. Being locked into one move isn't appealing to me. I prefer being able to switch moves.

Plus, Arcanine will never see it coming.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Shrang briefly mentions this, but how much Attack do you guys like on Scarf? U-turn obviously is one move you're going to be using a lot, but weak special attacks are no good either! Tbh I haven't messed around that much with this, but what benchmarks would you look for on U-turn? I can see combo take downs being good stages (ie U-turn+the Pokemon you bring in's move = KO), but you may want to try for outright KOes.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've only used 4 Attack EVs on Genesect, and I've never heard of any calcs worth taking into consideration. 415 attack with a Download boost is pretty good as it is, unless there's a good reason to invest I'd rather just stick it all into Sp.Att.

aurora

GODQUAZA
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is Shed Shell a viable item for Genesect?
if you want to get away from shadow tag chandelure, then yes
this actually isn't a bad idea, since hidden power ground:

- on the life orb set, only 2HKOs its choice sets, and 3HKOs +1 sub-CM chandelure (but this set is outsped by all variants of chandelure, so it won't get much airtime anyway)
- and on the choice specs set, has only a 43.75% chance to OHKO all choice sets and 2HKOs +1 sub-CM chandelure (...and is still outsped unless it runs choice scarf, which does even less than the life orb set)

considering the popularity of said shadow tag chandelure, then yes, shed shell can be considered viable

Is Shed Shell a viable item for Genesect?
Magnezone has very little to no usage in DW OU. Even if, it carries Flamethrower, giving it a way to beat it. Only Scarf variants locked into a move not named Flamethrower fear Magnezone.

U-Turn is good enough for Chandelure. After a Rock Polish and proper Download boost, Thunderbolt OHKOs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)