Gen 6 generic uu balance team 2.0 haha

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
[microsoft painting soontm]

Hi I'm dingbat, ORAS UU main here. It's been a while since I've made my one and only post on RMT; it happened to be another balance team that I mainly used on the ladder back in CG. I've been known for building a lot of balance during CG, and I'm definitely still known for doing so post CG despite branching out into offense as of late.

To preface this, I'm a whole year late on posting this, as it was made during UUPL X finals in preparation for my opponent Killintime. While balance has been in a really unfavorable spot the past few years, this creation not only got me the crucial win on its debut despite me playing the mid-game suboptimally, but also had strong success in some other tournament matches by others. It also had a fairly winnable matchup against Slurpuff Hyper Offenses (rip puff), something I took massively into account despite kt not loading that team archetype very often, if even at all. Overall, this is probably the most successful balance team I've made in a long time, and it probably will stay that way for a while since I've been experimenting with other shit in this meta.

Anyways, here's what I came up with:

Team paste: https://pokepast.es/f7551739bb6c3f20

:suicune:
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 236 HP / 216 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Roar

Suicune was the original inspiration for this team, and it is by far the shining star of it too. I opted for CM Roar on this as it naturally outran most other common phazers like Slowking and Empoleon, allowing it to more easily preserve its boosts, while also delaying counter-sweeps from threats like Reuniclus and Gyarados; I also believed it to be its best set at the time. Speed EVs outrun Specs Sylveon and the rest of the EVs make it difficult to deal with physically. Overall, it's hard enough to kill after a single Calm Mind boost, but this was further compounded by the fact that it was super underprepared for at the time due to the fact it had absolutely zero usage prior to me loading it.

:nidoking:
Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt

Nidoking checks a few boxes that I wanted on this team: a strong wallbreaker with a decent enough Speed tier and a grounded Poison-type to be less vulnerable to opposing Toxic Spikes. I opted for Thunderbolt, because it gave me direct offensive pressure against fat Water-types that I otherwise do not have on this team, and Toxic Spikes works super well with Roar Suicune to spread chip damage. EVs allow Nidoking to outrun max speed neutral base 70s while surviving Jolly Mega Aerodactyl Earthquake from full health.

:aggron-mega:
Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Mega Aggron does what it does best here: be an impenetrable, decently strong physical wall and a reliable Stealth Rock setter. Impish Nature allows it to do unholy shit like live a Close Combat from +2 Heracross at max HP.

:florges:
Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Synthesis
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Cleric support is pretty important on most balance teams, and it's no different here. Florges was a no-brainer, allowing me to not get completely run over by Hydreigon on preview while being a soft Fighting check. I opted for Calm Nature since I already had two physical walls on this team, and it proved crucial in the UUPL match.

:mienshao:
Mienshao @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 140 HP / 152 SpD / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace

AV Mienshao gives this team a secondary check to Hydreigon and is mostly there otherwise to be an annoying piece of shit. Speed EVs are enough to outrun base 100s and HP EVs give Mienshao enough bulk to survive opposing AV Shao High Jump Kick from full while maintaining enough Special Defense to live Choice Specs Draco Meteor. I opted for Aerial Ace in its fourth move slot as it does over 80% to Heracross and deals a significant chunk to Venomoth/Roserade, but it's in all honesty just there for Heracross.

:crobat:
Crobat @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost

Fast hazard control, reliable Fighting check. I originally had 136 Speed EVs on this, but after realizing I was slower than Specs Whimsicott, I decided to up it to 144 EVs. Inner Focus > Infiltrator because I'm not too concerned about Substitute and Screens, and not getting flinched by shit from +1 Gyarados/Sharpedo and Scarf Hydreigon could be of niche use too. Oh, and catching lame ass Fake Out Mienshao with its pants down is pretty damn funny too.

:nidoking:Substitute > Toxic Spikes is a good option as well to get some more free damage on your opponent. I would recommend moving 48 HP EVs into SpD to guarantee free subs on Florges.
:aggron-mega:Roar > Toxic is perfectly fine if you're scared of Magneton, but keep Toxic if you decide not to run Toxic Spikes on Nidoking.
:crobat:Haze > U-turn was something I very much considered as an emergency stop to Reuniclus and opposing Suicune, but doing that would have potentially limited opportunities for Nidoking to put in work. Black Sludge > Safety Goggles is nice for longevity if you're not afraid of Sleep Powder and Stun Spore.
I'll probably end up missing a few important ones because , but this is what I've come up with:

:reuniclus: The best out to CM Reuniclus might be to hard switch Suicune, click Roar, and hope that it isn't LO Psychic.
:nidoking: :nidoqueen: Be super careful of opposing Nidos since they're able to basically 2HKO everything with their given coverage. Depending on the situation, you might need to trade off Shao/Aggron in order to neuter their long-term wallbreaking prospects.
:heracross: :sylveon: Choiced wallbreakers like Heracross and Sylveon are more than capable of ripping my ass a new one, despite me dropping some aforementioned techs on this team.
:suicune: Be prepared for a CM Roar war if your opponent loads Suicune vs this, and be ready for the possibility that they run some Nascar Speed EVs just to get a faster Roar off.
:magneton: Magnet Rise Magneton shreds through this defensive core pretty hard, especially if Aggron isn't running Roar.
Sage Highways this is a broken record at this point, but you two were the two biggest helpers in conjuring up this nasty squad. i'm still super fucking stoked that you (highways) managed to clinch that uu invitational dub with this squad, btw.
KM mncmt for putting me back in ORAS after throwing me into the BW gauntlet for the first several weeks :)
The rest of the moomoo squad in general, y'all are legends too :milbonk:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)