Media General Music Discussion Thread

RODAN

Banned deucer.
Hey, howdy. Maybe a music megathread is a good idea, we have the one for movies and anime so it's kinda weird that we don't have one already. we have the 2017 music thread but thats not really the same.

anyway to kick off this thread; what are some albums you've been listening to lately? any cool recommendations?

Right now I've been listening to a lot of the album Game Theory - The Big Shot Chronicles, which is an extremely 80s power pop album. Absolutely fucking adoring it, sort of reminds me of the cure but better. heres a couple of tracks.

Game Theory - Where You Going Northern
Game Theory - Crash into June

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ooh nice thread RODAN. Glad to have a megathread for people who don't follow new releases which isn't a "favorite album" thread.

Listened to Autobahn earlier; love Kraftwerk. Great band. Relly innovtive for their time. Also listened to Steve Reich - Electric Counterpoint (RODAN I want your thoughts on this) and it is something I *really* want to see performed live by someone because of the way that it is played (someone records all of the different lines (exc. the main line) one by one before the performance and then plays the main line live with the rest playing behind it). Steve Reich in general is pretty great and everyone should check him out imo; I really like minimalism, and his music is a perfect example of good minimalism.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A band that I'm currently exploring a little is Mass of Fermenting Dregs (discography), which are a Japanese alt rock/post rock/shoegaze group. First discovered them when their album "World Is Yours" (embedded below) appeared in my YT recommendations, and which is an enjoyable listen, and then got re-recc'd it by Asek a few months later and was reminded that they existed; my favorite track on that album is definitely かくいうもの (Such Things) due to its addictive driving sound, among other things, making it a really enjoyable listen on the whole. Currently got S/T (also embedded below) playing in the Walrus discord and I'm enjoying it, and I'm just slowly working through their discography really, or at least what I can find of it. Strongly recommend them as a band.

Some songs that I’ve been loving lately:

Anyone have any artist recommendations such as this one? I listen to a lot of potsu, anything with Shiloh samples, Elijah Who, B0JET, among others, for whoever is curious.

Martin

Just got back from a Pogues tribute concert in an Irish pub and it was great. If there’s one thing everyone should do at least once in their life it is to go to see The Pogues or a Pogues tribute band live ‘cause this shit is designed to be heard live and completely fucking owns.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Possibly my favorite song off what now might be my favorite acoustic-y indie album:

Been getting into some post-rock recently too. This one’s so haunting:

Also been listening to a good bit of metal to try to expand my horizons a bit. This one’s great at setting a mood and bringing you into it:

Always considered this album to be really good but after binging Laura's discog over and over for the last few days I've come to the conclusion that it's actually a 10/10 and she's my favorite artist.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
New Hopsin record No Shame is surprisingly good, best effort since Raw imo. Got to share the opener with y'all...really deep and way better than anything on the raido stations. If you consider yourself a fan of true rap/hip-hop you owe it to yourself to check it out!

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
i'm not even sure if you're ironic right now gregg
I'm not quite sure I get this concept of looking for irony in everything but I genuinely like the new Hopsin record if that is what you are pondering. It's been years since he put out something this good, thought I would share for people here who like rap.

Finna drop my AOTY list...

Couple notes... mi genero favoritos es: art pop, synth pop, indie rock, folk, rap (no particular order)

Honorable Mentions:

Run the Jewels - RTJ3 (this dropped on Christmas 2016 despite it's official release date in January and made my 2016 list)

The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding (I think this is a great album but ultimately could not live up to Lost in the Dream)

Da L1st:

10. Tyler, the Creator - Flower Boy
9. Father John Misty - Pure Comedy
8. Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me
7. Fleet Foxes - Crack Up
6. Perfume Genius - No Shape
5. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
4. Vagabon - Infinite Worlds
3. The xx - I See You
2. The National - Sleep Well Beast
Lorde - Melodrama

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm really conflicted on Joyner Lucas because on one hand he's a good rapper with a fast flow and strict cadence but on the other hand almost all of his good songs are either remixes and bites at other rappers see here or are that "psuedo-intellectual fuck you for doing drugs and also you rap trash" type of material that makes me despise rappers like hopsin.

dude's not really famous yet still disses / bites eminem / kendrick lamar / lil pump / migos / future / jcole (fuck jcole) / dre / etc. he got a lot of popularity from his "im not racist" video but i just can't bring myself to like his social commentary type rapping its like conscious rap but not really because its mostly fake deep. there are some real things being said but the vibe i get from him is mostly just that hopsin-esque "fake deep" "holier than thou" attitude. dude spits bars tho

what are your guys' thoughts on him? ill add some links to stuff hes done below

Gucci Gang remix
I'm Sorry
Jumanji (Feat Busta Rhymes) <---- was p disappointed with this one ngl only bc busta has like 30 seconds on it and his flow is almost identical to his verses on East Coast by Asap Rocky

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)