Gen 1 [Gen1 OU] Double Fossil

:Dome Fossil::Old Amber:Double Fossil:Old Amber::Dome Fossil:
:Alakazam::Aerodactyl::Kabutops::Chansey::Snorlax::Tauros:
https://pokepast.es/cadc1de00349a4da
Standard Alakazam lead. Mostly functions as a status absorber. It can potentially help to take down Snorlax with its high special. Alakazam is chosen over Starmie as Kabutops and Aerodactyl are weak to Electric-type moves. It tends to end up in Psychic wars against other Psychic types. Psychic drops can help take down paralyzed Chansey. Be wary that players will attempt to have their Chansey paralyzed to prevent sleep Status.
:y/Aerodactyl:
Aerodactyl
Just like Porygon, Aerodactyl's goal is to take down or wall Snorlax, allowing this team's Snorlax to take on other Pokemon. What separates Aerodactyl from Porygon is that it can deal a lot of damage with its high crit rate, pick off weakened pokemon, burn threats like Rhydon and Tauros, and act as an Explosion sponge. The current moveset is pretty much how it should be run. Fire Blast does more damage than Double-Edge against some key Pokémon, while also having a chance to cripple Physical attackers. Aerodactyl is able to run a slow move like Sky Attack because it can easily take hits from Snorlax, or it can charge on a sleeping mon. Double Edge is needed as a non-charging attack. It needs to be wary of switch-ins as Aerodactyl is pretty frail on the special side. Because of how well Aerodactyl walls common Snorlax sets, it can take special hits and Super Effective Physical hits at times. It can rest off that damage when Snorlax is switched in.

Aerodactyl is weak to Snorlax sets that have special moves or Rock Slide. It also does not like facing Rhydon. However, Rhydon has to fear burn from Fire Blast. Aerodactly can help bring Rhydon down to Tauros's Blizzard's KO range.

:y/Kabutops:
Kabutops
Kabutops is here as a backup wall against Normal/Ice Snorlax sets. Its Slash can force rest loops which can allow it to set up a Swords Dance. On this team it is treated more as a wall breaker than a late game sweeper. It can take down Chansey so long as the Chansey does not have thunderbolt. Its Surf can help deal with Rhydon, and it can use Rhydon as set-up fodder as Rhydon won't want to stay in and take a Surf. While Body Slam may appear to be a better option due to Swords Dance boosting it (crits ignore stat boosts) it is arguably subpar compared to Slash which helps to take done Defense boosters. This Kabutops is treated more as a wall breaker which can take on Reflect Chansey, and Amnesia/Reflect Snorlax.
:y/Chansey:
Chansey
Pretty standard Sing Chansey set, aside from the fact that it has Thunderbolt over Ice Beam. Thunderbolt is needed to have a better match-up against Jynx and Starmie. This Chansey likes switching into T-Wave so that it can become a status absorber. This Chansey depends on Tauros or Kabutops to take down Rhydon. Chansey can switch into Alakazam if it is taking too many special drops. T-Wave support is important to assist teammates in taking down other Pokémon.
:y/Snorlax:
Snorlax
Aerodactyl, Kabutops, and Sing, help deal with opposing Snorlax, so this Snorlax can fight the opponent's other Pokémon such as Starmie. It's a very standard set. Explosion helps to deal massive damage, and to deal with Pokémon like Slowbro. Earthquake and Hyper Beam are chosen over Counter because of this team's weakness to Gengar, and because of HyperBeams ability to nab KOs. Earthquake also allows Snorlax to scout for Counter.
:y/Tauros:
Tauros
Pretty much the standard Tauros set. This Pokémon likes Aero's support and can sweep through paralyzed and weakened teams. Earthquake is chosen to deal with Gengar and Electric Types. Body Slam is standard for its ability to crit or paralyze. Hyper Beam is for picking off mons. This team has T-Bolt Chansey, so T-bolt on this Pokémon may not be as necessary. Blizzard is very much needed to deal with Rhydon, Golem, and Onix (which I believe to be usable, but niche).

Closing Thoughts
Not sure if how good Aerodactyl is, is being obfuscated by luck, skill, etc, but I've seen players kind of just right it off. I think it has enough things going for it to be at least around D- to C Rank. But that's just me. Regardless I think being able to a run a team with two fossil mons and being able to spam Sky Attack at times is entertaining. What are your thoughts on this team? Is there anything I forgot to say?
Replays
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1784241704-rtp7h3w08j8c0yq9f810vq8b20uxafjpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1784295128
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1731062895

I feel like if you're gonna run Aerodactyl you don't need Kabutops much, considering Aero's ability to crit through Reflects anyway. Also I feel like Gengar just complements it better in terms of Snorlax coverage, as both fossils get hit hard by BoltBeam AmnesiaLax, which while rare, is a legit set, and Ice + EQ Lax is almost unheard of. Gengar also has Hypnosis, giving you the option of dropping Sing on Chansey and running proper BoltBeam so you don't let Rhydon in for free. It's less vulnerable to Electrics and especially improves your matchup against Cloyster, which is currently a massive threat to your team. Dropping Kabutops for Gengar seems to me to be a simple change that I think would work better and support Aerodactyl better.

Edit: Wow, Aerodactyl + Gengar actually works really well. Aerodactyl is noteworthy as the only Flying type in RBY that outspeeds Tauros, meaning that if Gengar can bait out EQ it can switch in and pick off Tauros when weakened, or when healthy threaten to cripple it with a burn. Moreover, once one or both of these are revealed it can bait Tauros into throwing out weaker coverage moves that are easier to switch into. This core's ability to shut down almost all Snorlax sets while also slowing down Tauros(to the extent that anyone can) frees up your own Tauros and Snorlax to do more damage. The team can still run into issues if Chansey gets frozen or Boomed, but otherwise my modified version is unironically a good team that's performed well on ladder.
Replays: [Gen 1] OU replay: ECOPAPA600 vs. heavylobster43 - Pokémon Showdown (pokemonshowdown.com)
Replays - Pokémon Showdown (pokemonshowdown.com)
Pokepaste: Aerodactyl (pokepast.es)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)