Gen III Battle Frontier Discussion and Records

I decided to return to Emerald and try to finally get all 7 gold symbols. With the help of this thread I've been progressing quite well, and I've got one streak I figured might be worth sharing. I cleared 231 rooms in the Battle Pike on a retail cartridge level 50.
373.png

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Adamant nature
6 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Fly

376.png

Metagross @ Choice Band
Adamant nature
128 HP / 252 Attack / 128 Speed
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Shadow Ball

245.png

Suicune @ Leftovers
Timid nature
252 HP / 220 Def / 4 Sp. Attack / 32 Sp. Defense
Surf
Ice Beam
Calm Mind
Rest
I loved having Salamence as a lead in this team because it was fast enough to run away from wild Pokemon and intimidate presents good opportunities for switching to Suicune to set up in tough battles.

A lot of times the hints I got were for "whispering" rooms, where Metagross could destroy the enemy team with Earthquake in double battles. Salamence would either use Rock Slide for decent damage and flinch chance or use Fly. Something I noticed was enemies would often focus their attacks on Salamence, so he could use fly to avoid the damage while Metagross defeated them all and they'd both finish the battle at full health. I wanted Aerial Ace on Salamence but didn't have the TM left in any of my GBA games to trade it over. I have been enjoying using Fly, both for the double battle benefits I mentioned and because it allowed me to totally avoid any damage from Slaking.

The 4 Sp. Attack EVs on Suicune were an accident, and I'm pretty sure they were useless since in level 50 you need 8 EVs for 1 stat gain. I bred Salamence and Metagross for good IVs, both considered "quite impressive" with flawless attack. The Suicune I got in Colosseum a year or two ago and it just happened to have a decent nature and perfect HP IVs.

I think I did have a fair amount of luck making it as far as I did, with many rounds where I barely fought any battles. I'd say the biggest threat to this team is BoltBeam users, and the round I lost ended up having a Starmie and a Gengar on the team. The battle started with Salamence vs Starmie and I expected Ice Beam so I switched to Suicune, but for some reason it chose Thunderbolt. It used Thunderbolt again the next turn and killed me before I could use Calm Mind. Metagross killed Starmie and their second Pokemon, then got killed by Gengar. Salamance took either an Ice Beam or Ice Punch and it was over.
IMG_7702 - Copy.jpg

Quick question here about the battle Pike glitch.

I've used the Pike glitch before to get sketch onto my mons, purely so that I could teach substitute (as I have already used the move tutor), however this was a while ago and I can't quite remember how I did it. I was hoping to once again do this for my Gengar that I've trained ready to take on the battle arena, however I didn't know if this glitch was possible for Pokemon such as Gengar, who can't be poisoned? Am I misremembering the glitch, or does the Pokemon you want to get sketch onto have to be the one that faints due to poison?

If anyone could please clarify this please that would be greatly appreciated.
For the record I am playing on a retail copy of emerald if that makes any difference.

Hello everyone! It looks like I'm the first ever to report a winning streak (greater than 42 wins) in Battle Palace Doubles, Open Level, so here I go:

Battle Palace Doubles. Win streak: 62. Open Level. Retail.

Team:
View attachment 509217
Gordon (Snorlax) @ Chesto Berry
Level 100 Stats: 501/300/200/140/292/86
Brave Nature
Ability: Immunity
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Rest

View attachment 509216
Drimoto (Latias) @ Leftovers
Level 100 Stats: 364/161/306/256/296/257
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic

View attachment 509218
Goroka (Gyarados) @ Lum Berry
Level 100 Stats: 360/383/194/135/231/227
Adamant Nature
- Hidden Power Flying 70
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Torment

Description:
The team is designed to be bulky enough to endure as many hits as possible, without neglecting offense. Also, I have moves from all three categories, so my Pokemon will never be incapable of using their power, and I try to exploit these free turns to the maximum. Snorlax's brave nature makes him attack most of the time (70%) when he's healthy and choose Rest when he’s below half HP. Curse is rarely used, but it tips the scales significantly towards my team every time he uses it. I chose Body Slam over Return because sometimes the AI is stubborn and refuses to use Return, I don't know exactly why. Besides that, paralysis comes in handy in this facility, giving my team even more free turns. Latias is a good teammate thanks to her Levitate ability, and she usually ends up sponging hits while Snorlax attacks. She also uses Recover when she's at low health thanks to her bold nature and abuses Toxic in every battle (the downside is that she keeps trying to poison enemies that are already poisoned, lol). The third member of the team is Gyarados, who resists both fighting attacks and Heracross' Megahorn (biggest threats to Snorlax and Latias), and his Intimidate ability pairs very well with Snorlax. I didn't run Hasty Salamence in third slot because it's less bulky than Gyarados and it's weak to Ice just like Latias. Torment proved to be surprisingly useful against enemies that tend to abuse Double Team (I'm looking at you, Shuckle).

Threats:
OHKO moves in general, opposing Snorlax and bulky Swords Dancers like Scizor and Marowak. Gengar and Misdreavus were difficult because Snorlax simply can't touch them and they both have Thunderbolt to harm my Gyarados, so I relied entirely on Latias.

Loss:
If you read my other posts, you'll notice that Walrein usually comes to ruin my day in some way hahaha. This time, the fattest walrus on earth used attract on my Lax and then Sheer Cold him. An opposing Machamp killed my Gyarados with Counter and Dewgong ended my Latias with Blizzard. It was a very funny streak; I think I am satisfied with this achievement for the moment.

Proof:

Many thanks to all the members of this beautiful community, I wish you the best of success both in your personal lives and in your games. If I don't make any more posts from here on it will be because I have not been able to beat my own records (it's getting difficult lately TBH) or have nothing meaningful to contribute, but I will keep on reading with enthusiasm your streak reports and comments in general about game mechanics, strategies and so on. I love you all, bye.
Congrats!

Status moves like toxic do seem to have some added utility in doubles due to having access to a second target in case they repeat...except from what I'm reading now it seems the Ai target choosing is different in the palace. Actually it seems smart targeting might be completely over-run by the nature in the palace, so knowing the nature of the opposing set is going to be all the more important. So Bold+toxic is going to run into problems because odds are if you target the lower health pokemon than lower it's health with toxic, it's still likely to be the lower health pokemon the next turn.
1683138412788.png

Dang it looks like my favorite natures for using support moves target target the foe with less hp (Modest and Bold). Jolly technically works but is there really a support move we want that bad in doubles? Still probably good on adamant pokemon.

Zooming out just to think about the implication of opponents natures, if we have a way to control the relative HP of our pokemon (such as only having recovery on one) we may be able to increase our odds against specific threats. Physical attackers often being adamant targeting the greater hp and modest special attackers targeting the lower hp. I think this encourages like a leftovers protect style special tank and a rest style physical tank. oooo actually bold status move opponents are super susceptible to us using substitute as it proactively lowers our HP while protecting from status.

I think a new palace doubles specific threat list needs to be made noting which attack pattern the nature uses.

Last edited:
Oh, I almost forgot.

Kommo-o, could you please correct a couple of errors I noticed on the Leaderboard related to my streaks? In Battle Palace Singles it's 67 wins (not 61), and in Battle Arena my 114-win team was Snorlax, Latios and Tyranitar, similar to Submenceisop’s team, to whom I owe my respect. Finally, I am waiting cordially for you to update my records in the Battle Dome Doubles, Tower Doubles, Pike and now the Palace Doubles (all of them in Level 100) whenever you can.
Just fixed the previous ones and will be working on updating the new ones as well

Hello! Reporting a 145 win streak at the Battle Tower on console (Level 50) with the following team:

Latias @ Cheri Berry
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
Lvl 50 Stats: 186/77/114/129/150/173
- Thunder Wave
- Charm
- Flash
- Recover

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Atk / 4 Def / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
Level 50 Stats: 187/125/171/79/187/71
- Metal Claw
- Substitute
- Curse
- Amnesia

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
Level 50 Stats: 189/204/99/112/100/134
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Latias and Registeel are both the standard 1-2 setup combo, inspired by Kommo-o's Latias-Registeel-Gyarados team. Metal Claw on Registeel because it isn't IV'd for HP Steel but this Registeel is the same one I've used for Gen IV and Gen V battle challenges, and he still has great IVs. It needs the near max Atk investment because Metal Claw is pathetically weak, and a little bit of speed investment to outspeed opposing base 50s, namely Regirock.

I used Salamence over Gyarados for a few reasons. First, higher base Atk and Speed allows for more efficient EV investment. For example, this Salamence hits 134 speed with just 108 EVs, which after one DD will outspeed everything in frontier. An Adamant Gyarados cannot hit 134 Speed.
Saving those Speed EVs allows for more investment in HP. 189 HP allows for 4 substitutes +1 HP remaining. Second, I prefer Aerial Ace over HP Flying. There are so many Pokemon in the frontier that are carrying BP/LI, or spam double team, it's nice to not have to worry about missing the move after all that work to set up or running out of PP. At +6, Aerial Ace will 2HKO any Skarmory, which was exactly the cutoff for Kommo-o's Gyarados's HP Flying and Atk investment. Lastly, I have much more familiarity with Registeel and Salamence as a defensive core, since I've used it for Gens 3-5. I personally think it's a better defensive core that Registeel-Gyarados since Ice weakness/resist is mirrored in Sala-Regi, but Electric weakness is not for Gyara-Regi.

Everything was going smoothly until I faced Gengar 4.
Turn 1: Latias used Thunder Wave. Gengar Lum Berry activates. Gengar used Ice Punch (~45%). Latias is frozen solid.
Turn 2: Latias is frozen. Gengar used Ice Punch (~47%).
Turn 3: Latias is frozen. Gengar used Ice Punch, Latias faints.

Gengar KO Registeel with 3 Fire Punches, 2 Metal Claws do nearly 50%, but Gengar outspeeds Salamence and OHKO with Ice Punch. I suppose I could've toggled between Salamence and Registeel to alternate between Fire Punches and Ice Punch but Fire Punch does kill Salamence within ~7-8 hits, which wouldn't have stalled it out anyways.

For the most part I like the team, I think I would definitely try for longer streak with no adjustments. Still not totally convinced by Flash, but I can't really think of a better alternative.
The main reason why I allowed Latias to keep the Lum Berry and not Gyarados, is precisely because of this reason. Latias can easily tank 2 super-effective Ice Punch from Gengar or even survive a critical hit. Unless Gengar hits 2 consecutive crits, there is no way it can't beat Latias. While I agree that Salamence is the better Dragon Dancer, Gyarados has the better typing because it sets on Water types, which is something that Salamence cannot do.

You'll definitely want to keep Flash because during my experiences using Mud Slap and Flash, Flash is the better move for the simple reason of letting you beat Flygon and Gengar. The lower their accuracy is, the lest chances they have on landing hits on you, and the lesser chances of getting lucky. Lum Berry also saves you from the occasional freeze and paralysis, which can be game-changing specially if you land Flash a couple of times. I understand being annoyed at the 70% accuracy but I value much more Flash's ability to debuff Gengar and Flygon for that reason.

Quick question here about the battle Pike glitch.

I've used the Pike glitch before to get sketch onto my mons, purely so that I could teach substitute (as I have already used the move tutor), however this was a while ago and I can't quite remember how I did it. I was hoping to once again do this for my Gengar that I've trained ready to take on the battle arena, however I didn't know if this glitch was possible for Pokemon such as Gengar, who can't be poisoned? Am I misremembering the glitch, or does the Pokemon you want to get sketch onto have to be the one that faints due to poison?

If anyone could please clarify this please that would be greatly appreciated.
For the record I am playing on a retail copy of emerald if that makes any difference.
It can still work, but you will need to get another Pokemon poisoned. Remember that the condition is to get the 2nd pokemon faint to poisoning and force a double battle which will trigger the glitch.

Hello dudes, I made a new team to use in Battle frontier and I'm woning a lot!
I lead with Gorebyss

She knows Agility, Amnesia, Iron Defense and Baton Pass.
It's item is Leftovers.

Then I have a Umbreon

He knows Yawn, Wish, Double Team and Baton Pass
I need to say I used PkHex to be able to teach Yawn to Umbreon, I would substitue for Toxic to be more legal too.
It's item is Brightpowder

And as receiver of all status via batom pass I have Marowak

He knows Sword Dance, Earthquack, Rock Slide and Double Edge.
It's item is Thick Club

The strategy is pretty simple, I started with Gorebyss and it's Agility and then I use how many Amnesia and Iron Defense is possible. Then I Baton pass to Umbreon who put the foe to sleep with Yawn and start to spawn Double Team.
Some times I used Wish to recover back my Gorebyss and give more Amnesia and Iron Defense.
In the end of the chain of Batom Pass have Marowak, who I believe just need one Sword Dance to KO all pokémons, but just to be sure I give 3 Sword Dances.

Hello dudes, I made a new team to use in Battle frontier and I'm woning a lot!
I lead with Gorebyss

She knows Agility, Amnesia, Iron Defense and Baton Pass.
It's item is Leftovers.

Then I have a Umbreon

He knows Yawn, Wish, Double Team and Baton Pass
I need to say I used PkHex to be able to teach Yawn to Umbreon, I would substitue for Toxic to be more legal too.
It's item is Brightpowder

And as receiver of all status via batom pass I have Marowak

He knows Sword Dance, Earthquack, Rock Slide and Double Edge.
It's item is Thick Club

The strategy is pretty simple, I started with Gorebyss and it's Agility and then I use how many Amnesia and Iron Defense is possible. Then I Baton pass to Umbreon who put the foe to sleep with Yawn and start to spawn Double Team.
Some times I used Wish to recover back my Gorebyss and give more Amnesia and Iron Defense.
In the end of the chain of Batom Pass have Marowak, who I believe just need one Sword Dance to KO all pokémons, but just to be sure I give 3 Sword Dances.

So what happens when you hit quick claw OHKO user, Ghost pokemon particularly with confuse ray, or a focus sash counter user?

So what happens when you hit quick claw OHKO user, Ghost pokemon particularly with confuse ray, or a focus sash counter user?
OHKO moves are a big problem indeed. I just goes for double team and hope for the best.
Ghost I knock down with Rock slide and there is no focus sash on gen3, there is only focus band who happens to have it's effect occasionally.

OHKO moves are a big problem indeed. I just goes for double team and hope for the best.
Ghost I knock down with Rock slide and there is no focus sash on gen3, there is only focus band who happens to have it's effect occasionally.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I thought I read somewhere that OHKO moves are set at 33% and can't be lowered. As for focus sash, there is either the band or sash in generation 3, either of which would give you trouble at some point on long streaks. The reason I bring up ghost pokemon is that it forces you to use a 90% accuracy moves which invites more hax/chance to derail you. These are all major problems for only having 1 pokemon with attacking moves and without substitute.

Does anyone have to happen Werster's EV spread for his Latios, Metagross, and Swampert?
At the start of this very thread you have a FAQ (https://pastebin.com/c796fkZT) for his run and i recommend you to consult it as well as the other helpful resources you can find there (such as a the guide to RNG manipulation).

But in case you just need to know the spreads quickly, here they are:

1. Mudkip: 17/31/31/25/22/23 | Brave Nature
  2. Latios: 29/21/15/31/23/29 | Modest Nature
  3. Beldum: 27/25/29/11/28/31 | Adamant Nature

At the start of this very thread you have a FAQ (https://pastebin.com/c796fkZT) for his run and i recommend you to consult it as well as the other helpful resources you can find there (such as a the guide to RNG manipulation).

But in case you just need to know the spreads quickly, here they are:

1. Mudkip: 17/31/31/25/22/23 | Brave Nature
  2. Latios: 29/21/15/31/23/29 | Modest Nature
  3. Beldum: 27/25/29/11/28/31 | Adamant Nature
Thanks man!

Hello fellow Gen 3 enjoyers, I have been lurking in this forum for awhiles now. I have always been a fan of the Battle Frontier, by the absolute complexity of it during my adolescence. I was linked to the Battle Tower spreadsheet and this forum post by Adedede's youtube videos on his Iridescence Team. I have since been trying to construct my own team. After going through several iterations of team building, I may have finally settled on a trio that I think might be able to achieve a high streak for Lv. 50 Battle Tower that can be recognized on the leaderboard of this forum post.

The team consists of:

MEG (Meganium) (M) @ Brightpowder
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252/0/6/0/252/0
Bold Nature
Leech Seed/Protect/Substitute/Double Team

SUI (Suicune) (-) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 240/0/252/0/0/16
Bold Nature
Surf/Roar/Calm Mind/Rest

FULLCOUNTR (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers (EVs based on Adedede's TONYA, personally could do with more refinement)
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 56/0/252/0/28/172
Timid Nature
Protect/Counter/Substitute/Double Team

Here are Youtube links to my ongoing run (these should also suffice as evidence for Battle Tower Streaking):
(Battles #21 - #35)
(Battles #56 - #70)

The thought process during battle would be to find the pokemon on Hozu's Battle Tower Spreadsheet, check if there are any STAB moves that are super effective to MEG, if there are use Protect to scout the exact Instance, and if there aren't any such moves, use Leech Seed to set up for SUI's switch in. The ideal scenario is that SUI is switched in, and is able to set up on the lead pokemon, and letting Leech Seed faint it, to reveal the 2nd pokemon, which would be Roared out, the 3rd pokemon swept by x6 Calm Mind'ed Surf and the 2nd pokemon resummoned into another sweep. This strategem is to avoid the 3rd pokemon from being Ludicolo(3/4) which would end up in a stalemate or lost.

All 3 pokemon effectively try to stall out the opponent's PP, and scouting for pokemon that Suicune can set up on, and then sweeping the opposition. If anyone is interested in specifics of this team, do let me know so I can do a follow up post on this team's threats, enemy teams that I have lost to, and more.

Let me know if anyone has any possible improvements to this trio for the Battle Tower. Thank you for reading my post!

TL;DR - Here is my Lvl. 50 Battle Tower Team capable of a #70 streak! Any suggestions are appreciated!

Screenshot (455).png

Hello! Reporting a 128 win streak at the Battle Palace for level 50 on cartridge with the following team:

Starmie @ Petaya Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute

Flygon @ Brightpowder
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Substitute
- Sand-Attack

Scizor @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 20 HP / 236 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Silver Wind
- Steel Wing
- Aerial Ace
- Substitute

Inspiration for this team came from the Starmie/Garchomp/Scizor core that was so popular in Gen IV. Great defensive type synergy among the three of them, so its very easy to switch around. Hasty natures for all of them to maximize the likelihood of attacking. Substitute protects against status, ensures you don't waste a turn, and also pushes you towards 50% which heightens likelihood of attacking even more. Pinch berry + Hasty nature is really great to get one last hit before fainting. 29 IVs for HP on Scizor to get 144 HP, so after 2 subs its behavior will change (previously was at 146, but two subs lowers it to 74, which maintains splits of 58/37/5 attack probability). Scizor also over Metagross to not be weak to Earthquake from Spenser's Slaking, Heracross's Megahorn, and better resist Umbreon 4.

I really enjoyed playing with this team and its very easy to play with. I guarantee that if you use this team you can pretty easily get the Gold Symbol in one go. I don't even think I looked at calcs or sets when I was playing hehe. Lost to Gengar 6 when Starmie missed a Surf turn 1 (Brightpowder hax). It Ice punched Flygon turn 2 and Scizor KO, but remaining Machamp 1 Countered my Scizor's Aerial Ace for the KO. I'll probably go back and try to get a higher number but I'm pretty happy with this as is!

EDIT: Okay I just realized that this Scizor spread would probably be more efficient as it doesn't require an IV drop:
EVs: 20 HP / 236 Atk / 252 Spe, which gives 148 HP.
Also I'm currently trying Sand-Attack + Brightpowder on Flygon, I've almost never needed the Lum Berry activation.

EDIT2: Just tried another run and got to 128 wins. Going to keep trying and see if I can make it past the current record.

Attachments

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Hello! Reporting a 100 win streak at the Battle Palace for level 50 on cartridge with the following team:

Starmie @ Petaya Berry
Hasty Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute

Flygon @ Lum Berry
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Substitute
- Toxic

Scizor @ Liechi Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Silver Wind
- Steel Wing
- Aerial Ace
- Substitute

Inspiration for this team came from the Starmie/Garchomp/Scizor core that was so popular in Gen IV. Great defensive type synergy among the three of them, so its very easy to switch around. Hasty natures for all of them to maximize the likelihood of attacking. Substitute protects against status, ensures you don't waste a turn, and also pushes you towards 50% which heightens likelihood of attacking even more. Pinch berry + Hasty nature is really great to get one last hit before fainting. 29 IVs for HP on Scizor to get 144 HP, so after 2 subs its behavior will change (previously was at 146, but two subs lowers it to 74, which maintains splits of 58/37/5 attack probability). Scizor also over Metagross to not be weak to Earthquake from Spenser's Slaking, Heracross's Megahorn, and better resist Umbreon 4.

I really enjoyed playing with this team and its very easy to play with. I guarantee that if you use this team you can pretty easily get the Gold Symbol in one go. I don't even think I looked at calcs or sets when I was playing hehe. Lost to Gengar 6 when Starmie missed a Surf turn 1 (Brightpowder hax). It Ice punched Flygon turn 2 and Scizor KO, but remaining Machamp 1 Countered my Scizor's Aerial Ace for the KO. I'll probably go back and try to get a higher number but I'm pretty happy with this as is!
Great team. I loathe the Palace and reading this actually makes me want to go back and play it again, which I think is just about the highest praise I could give you

I made more one team to defeat the battle frontier.

Smeargle @ Quick Claw
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 68 HP / 188 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Ingrain
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Ninjask @ Starf Berry
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Double Team
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Baton Pass

MIMIEN (Mr. Mime) @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 60 SpA / 196 SpD
Calm Nature
- Baton Pass
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

Actually I found this team in another forum and the strategy is pretty simple.
Smeargle lead with Spore, it held's Quick Claw and is maximized speed to assurance be the first.
Then Smeargle should go for a substitute in case the enemy wake up early don't lost the run. As third move it should be Ingrain who protects against roar/whirlwind. And for 4th move it is baton pass to Ninjask (if the foe dosn't wake up).
Once Ninjask in battle it should spawn double team and wait it's speed rose because it's abillity Speed Boost. Go using Substitute untill achieve the Starf berry and then you will be able to baton pass to Mr Mime. The move Shadow Ball is just in case of Shedinja.
For the end of the chain we have Mr Mime who is also imune a Roar because it's ability Soundproof.
Mimien, as it's nickname on American version of the game, should start spawn how many Calm mind is safe before start sweeping with Psychic and Thunderbolt. The Ingrain of early chain with leftovers make you recover 1/8 HP per turn.
And Baton Pass is to come back on the chain to assurance some move, mainly back to Ninjask to deal with Shedinja.

Good morning! Reporting a 178 win streak at the Battle Palace for level 50 and a 85 win streak for open level (level 100).

For level 50, I used the same Pokemon as my previous post, but with Scizor's EVs changed:

Starmie @ Petaya Berry
Hasty Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute

Flygon @ Bright Powder
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Substitute
- Sand Attack

Scizor @ Liechi Berry
EVS: 152 HP/ 104 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Silver Wind
- Steel Wing
- Aerial Ace
- Substitute

The new EVs on Scizor allow it to survive Megahorn + Brick Break from Heracross 1,3. The added bulk is also nice in general against Latis, Metagross, Ice types, etc... The greatest feeling is surviving into Liechi range and using a Swarm boosted Silver Wind to OHKO a Lati >:)

The loss was against Whiscash 4. I switched, and Scizor 2HKO the lead (It was a normal type, I forget which one). It gets one Silver Wind off on Whiscash. Whiscash uses Fissure, hits. I send out Flygon. Whiscash Quick Claw activates, OHKO with Ice Beam. Starmie uses Sub, Whiscash uses EQ, breaks sub. Starmie uses Surf, Whiscash survives in red and uses Fissure, hits. Sometimes the game just says its time to lose -_-.

For the level 100 team, I used two different Pokemon:

Tyranitar @ White Herb
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ancient Power
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Substitute

Latios (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 216 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

Scizor @ Liechi Berry
EVs: 124 HP / 132 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Silver Wind
- Steel Wing
- Aerial Ace
- Substitute

Same general idea, Substitute + Hasty nature optimizes attacking. Scizor's EVs are optimized for Heracross survival again, although it's not as important with a Latios with Psychic in the back. Latios's EVs are to outspeed 340, max SpAtk, and have the highest number divisible by 4 for HP. Tyranitar with max Speed and Atk while maintaining a number divisible by 4. I really wanted to use Tyranitar given its great set of resistances, bulk, and moveset. Finally the best Pokemon in ADV actually is useful in the Battle Frontier! Sand Stream's continual chip damage is great for counteracting Leftovers users and softening up the opponents. Ancientpower over Rock Slide because there's so many Pokemon that use Double Team or carry BrightPowders. Given that attacking is a probability already, I didn't want to risk a miss, plus the stat boost is much nicer than a flinch. White Herb on Tyranitar to nullify Intimidate users and allow it to stay in on Arcanine, Salamence, Gyarados. Leftovers on Latios to nullify the Sandstorm damage.

Lost to a Collector. His lead was Blissey, Tyranitar uses Brick Break and she uses Counter, OHKO. Scizor finishes it off with Steel Wing, after Subbing for 2 turns (uselessly, two Blissey Ice Beams pop the sub and leave it naked). Next Pokemon is Porygon 2. Scizor uses Sub and Porygon2 uses Thunderbolt, pops the sub. Now Scizor is at 50% and strictly in attack mode. It MISSES a Steel Wing, Porygon uses Thunderbolt, puts in red, Liechi activates. Scizor uses Silver Wind, sends it to red as well, but Porygon2 kills with Ice Beam. Latios comes out and uses Sub while Porygon2 uses Recover. It uses Psychic, Porygon2 pops sub. Latios uses Psychic again and KOs Porygon2. Last Pokemon is Armaldo. Latios uses Psychic but doesn't KO, Armaldo KOs with CB Double Edge. I basically had an ~ 80% chance to win if Scizor hit the Steel Wing (actually even more than that, given that Armaldo had to pick an attacking move as well...) -_-. In my opinion, this team is actually better than my level 50 team, it handles Latis, Gengar, Gardevoir, Normal and Fighting types much better. I think I want to go back eventually and get an 100+ streak in open level with this.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

Last edited:
Hey guys, just wanted to let people know that currently I am busy and next week I will have more of a hectic week since I am tasked with coaching some of the new hires at my workplace so I will probably not be able to update the leaderboard until next week is over. Of course I am aware of the new submissions and I just want to clarify that at this moment, I am not calling out individuals or rejecting streaks. I am simply reviewing before making the decision of adding them to the leaderboard.

If you still don't see your streak added, it has nothing to do with the validity of it but it is me simply taking my time to review it. Eventually I will make another post once I am done updating the leaderboard and if I reject any streaks, I will let the users know.

Incoming a sad update.

This will be my final post about my Battle Pyramid Lvl. 50 streak on my retail copy of emerald. Yeah, that's right, no longer ongoing, it ended at 1442 rooms cleared (Unofficially at 1446 but since that didn't get registered by the game, i will just submit the former number).

You might have an idea of what happened by now and it is probably the worse way to have one of these streaks ended. The GBA battery died in the middle of the challenge and the battle assistant decided to kick me out next time i was able to turn the system on. No, i was not reckless with the battery usage nor i was neglectful of the red warning light, in fact i was charging it when it all happened.

The fact is that this GBA is very old and i have been using it a lot since i first got it near emerald's release back in the early 2000s. I've tried to have the most care with it but after years of numerous playthroughs, shiny hunts and now the battle frontier, the battery started to show signs of giving up. It started lasting less and less each time, turning off at the slightest touch of the power button (not even pressing it) and even having the warning light change colors when i switched postures from hand to hand or if i let it rest at the table it to go do something else.

So you can see this was bound to happened eventually and i knew it before starting this particular streak. I was even planning on changing the battery or trying to outright buy another GBA but in the meantime i guessed i should still play if i felt like it (maybe don't do the same if you face the same problem, just wait if a streak it's so important to you) for i could not afford neither at the moment and really wanted to know if i could pass certain thresholds. Mainly those amazing streaks already in the rankings here (which i respect the most).

I also saw some other records at other places like the youtube video by Cody "The Machine" (which i also respect as i think is very important to have fun doing what you like the way you like it while respecting others and i feel thats what i saw there, but lets be honest, using cheats like speed up on an emulator eliminates a lot of the stress of these challenges). So i kind of wanted to surpass that number too on my cartridge. And luckily i could.

So with those goals finally achieved i kept climbing the pyramid, and on my way to the 207th attemp to reach the peak and bask in that glorious red sun once more, fate was the one that finally reached me. It was in the ice types round where i managed to get to the 6th floor, and suddenly, while trying to find the exit, all the light i amassed by beating wild and trainer pokémon dissapeared in favor of a complete black screen. Silence flooded me.

I guess i should be sad and even dissapointed in my console for giving up or even myself for not waiting and risking it.
But if something has this experience taught me is that i instead should be grateful for all the marvelous moments this GBA has created since it was first gifted to me years ago. And if i felt blessed when i first realized what kind of streak was in my hands i cannot let that bliss diminish for the way it ended, just thank all the elements involved to create such a great memory.
I should in fact feel very lucky that it happened now that the most important goals were completed.

And to be honest i even feel a little relieved as i had some responsability to keep it growing, and the repetitiveness of it all was starting to kick in (i decided to put it on hold at 1500 but someone decided for me first). And i think what happened and this feeling of burn out give even more merit to to the fact of doing it in this manner (in the original hardware instead of having the temptation of backing up the saves or activating cheats).

So with all that said i will thank one final time to all of the amazing members of this community, my friends, my team and even my mostly dead GBA.

Oh! and since i was not able to keep it alive, i will gladly wait for any of you to challenge this run and claim this top spot of the category. I assure you it will be quite a journey. But remember to always keep having fun!

Attachments

Last edited:
The GBA battery died in the middle of the challenge and the battle assistant decided to kick me out next time i was able to turn the system on.
Yes, this is something increasingly relevant for GBA SP players as the years go by. I think that GBA SP is the greatest gaming system ever made, but the degrading battery has become a problem for me, too. I recently lost a good Metroid Fusion speed-run because of it, so I feel your pain. If you ever do challenge the Battle Frontier again, you may have to switch to a classic GBA with AA batteries for more reliability, sadly.

Your Battle Pyramid streak is incredible, regardless of being cut short!

Yes, this is something increasingly relevant for GBA SP players as the years go by. I think that GBA SP is the greatest gaming system ever made, but the degrading battery has become a problem for me, too. I recently lost a good Metroid Fusion speed-run because of it, so I feel your pain. If you ever do challenge the Battle Frontier again, you may have to switch to a classic GBA with AA batteries for more reliability, sadly.

Your Battle Pyramid streak is incredible, regardless of being cut short!
Well thanks for the compliment!

And regarding the console point i think that's a great advice. It even crossed my mind at one point to find a classic one and switch to it but i remembered using my brother's when i was a child and the change i experienced with the SP blew my mind even then. Mainly thanks to the backlight and the posibilty of playing it with one hand. And to be fair i don't know if i could have done this streak without these "quality of life" features.

I am aware of some ways to alleviate the first point if i chose to change to that system but as i said i didn't feel like dealing with all that trouble right now (so iguess more blame to me but remember, having fun was my priority here). I might have to look into it if i attempt something similar in the future though.

And good luck with that fusion speedrun (best game in the series in my also very GBA-biased opinion)!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 12)