Gen III Battle Frontier Discussion and Records

Hey, thanks for the reply. I understand your decision. I'll admit I have no proof other than the 215 record on my hacked save file, and some replays I guess, but this was a legit streak.

Now, I don't know how controversial this is, but I usually start at streaks of 35 to skip the monotony at the beginning, and I for sure did it for this one. I personally don't think this matters, especially since you could just switch teams after 35 and the battle tower would have to adapt all over again. I'm not even sure if this is how the tower works, but I am sure this would compromise my record and I appologize for not mentioning it. I didn't see it as important when I made the post.

As far as how good the team is, here are a few things to consider:

- Milotic can switch into Alakazam and drop its speed with Icy Wind, and perhaps land a shaky Hypnosis, allowing Breloom to set up. If I can't scout the item, Raikou can still set up and sweep (or I can chance it with Breloom). Of course, critical hits and status are a thing so this is not a reliable strategy.

- You are correct, this team sucks versus Gardevoir, and I have lost majorly against it. You are keen for figuring that out haha

- I believe luck had been on my side for the 215 run. For example, I know I had made risky plays turn one, opting to Spore without scouting the item. These gave me relatively quick wins which probably made me think my team was better than it actually was.

- Double team has actually not given me much issue. It is possible that, for whatever reason, the tower does not send many double teamers my way. Also, Breloom does a good job of stopping their shenanigans.

- I usually hard switch Raikou into Starmie and knock it out outright with a Thunderbolt rather than attempting to set up. It is in fact a big threat to Breloom and Milotic and I almost always choose to just take it down ASAP.

- Breloom doesn't always get a KO with a sub up but it does happen quite often. And even if it isn't able to, that doesn't always mean an instant loss. Again, luck definitely played a big role.

I still stand by my streak. I will say that I have had difficulty getting even to 100 after getting the 215, so there's that. I really did think it was a good team but it is not as consistent as I first thought.

Sorry for any trouble! I was really just trying to share some cool strategies. I wasn't necessarily trying to get on the leaderboards. If you would like me to edit or remove my post, please feel free to contact me.

I might try to grind a streak in the future. If you could point me towards the rules for this, that would help as well.
Starting from 35 wins is completely acceptable since you face NFE sets which are completely irrelevant to what you are trying to build for. This does not really influences whether I still believe on the validity of your streak. However, I would like to know if you are willing to do a video submission of this team starting from 35 victories until you lose. Since you play on emulator, it shouldn't be an issue for you to record the run.

Additionally, you can find the rules on the first page. There is nothing wrong on sharing strategies but I am very cautious when it comes to the streak numbers claimed. If you are able to do a recorded run, please let me know. I won't require video commentary and I don't mind if you speed up the game. If you need help with the set up let me know.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but i don't have discord. can you add my battle arena 56 wins to the leaderboard at the bottom? I did some more reading, and saw for emulator, you want a video. i am planning on doing my tower 70 wins in a few weeks. should i record it? can I start recording at 35 wins, because my computer overheats. I play mainly on phone emulator, but I don't cheat, and am willing to show everything was done legit. Kommo-o

Starting from 35 wins is completely acceptable since you face NFE sets which are completely irrelevant to what you are trying to build for. This does not really influences whether I still believe on the validity of your streak. However, I would like to know if you are willing to do a video submission of this team starting from 35 victories until you lose. Since you play on emulator, it shouldn't be an issue for you to record the run.

Additionally, you can find the rules on the first page. There is nothing wrong on sharing strategies but I am very cautious when it comes to the streak numbers claimed. If you are able to do a recorded run, please let me know. I won't require video commentary and I don't mind if you speed up the game. If you need help with the set up let me know.
Aweome. I'm heavily considering a Twitch stream. Seems like it could be fun, and ensures validity! Thanks for the help!

Aweome. I'm heavily considering a Twitch stream. Seems like it could be fun, and ensures validity! Thanks for the help!
If you do a Twitch stream, you are more than welcome to share it! I am usually free on the weekends but you can also upload a recording to Youtube or stream it in our server. Whichever works best for you!

If you do a Twitch stream, you are more than welcome to share it! I am usually free on the weekends but you can also upload a recording to Youtube or stream it in our server. Whichever works best for you!
I'll check out the server (i'm assuming you mean Discord). I figured I could stream on Twitch and then maybe get a video capture that way.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but i don't have discord. can you add my battle arena 56 wins to the leaderboard at the bottom? I did some more reading, and saw for emulator, you want a video. i am planning on doing my tower 70 wins in a few weeks. should i record it? can I start recording at 35 wins, because my computer overheats. I play mainly on phone emulator, but I don't cheat, and am willing to show everything was done legit. Kommo-o
I did saw your post but I haven't added it since I also have some questions. I just want to know what was your gameplan vs Greta's Silver team (Heracross / Umbreon / Shedinja) and if you ever did not felt that your Starmie was actually holding you back if it was slower than a Charizard.

I also want to know what was your gameplan vs Alakazam. It looks pretty rough to me since even with 0 Speed Alakazam outspeeds your whole team, and it can also carry both Thunder Pumch and Ice Punch for Starmie and Flygon. Since your Starmie is slower, I would probably say that it doesn't looks very promising.

I will be more than happy to check on a recorded footage of your Arena streak starting from battle 21 to the Gold symbol if you have something because I would like to see how you play with this team before adding it to the leaderboard.

I did saw your post but I haven't added it since I also have some questions. I just want to know what was your gameplan vs Greta's Silver team (Heracross / Umbreon / Shedinja) and if you ever did not felt that your Starmie was actually holding you back if it was slower than a Charizard.

I also want to know what was your gameplan vs Alakazam. It looks pretty rough to me since even with 0 Speed Alakazam outspeeds your whole team, and it can also carry both Thunder Pumch and Ice Punch for Starmie and Flygon. Since your Starmie is slower, I would probably say that it doesn't looks very promising.

I will be more than happy to check on a recorded footage of your Arena streak starting from battle 21 to the Gold symbol if you have something because I would like to see how you play with this team before adding it to the leaderboard.
1. I did not have a plan against greta silver. I had completed that months ago, before I learned to manipulate Iv's. Starmies speed stat is 141, and honestly I chucked a bunch of random vitamins in my bag into it, along with calcium and the speed one. It was my first competitive pokemon so I really rushed it. starmie is great because it beats most cool trainer and dragon trainer sets which have the highest bst.

2. I did not run into alakazam. if I did, I would've lost because of the no switching rule. alakazam and gengar always used to disrupt my runs in the tower before I started breeding good mons. I did run into jolteon and electrode, and both killed my starmie, but flygon counters all electric mons. most of the mons I faced were regis, articuno, and the tuber team with blastoise. I had two (maybe 4) matches where heracross died to the houndoom and charizard immediately. in my gold battle tower team (a few week from now if i get time) i have a steel. I also ran into many hikers (i think majority ruin maniac) and starmie also beats them. when I ran into psychic, they always used mr. mime, espeon, and I forget which else.

I would like to record footage, but I already beat greta, Would it be ok if I recorded the footage, from my already gold save file?

also I want to make it clear, that the team is worse than most teams here, but my runs have no pseudos, no legendaries, and no trades, so I really only get half the viable mons.

sorry for controller overlay. flygon band, is there, because i just screenshotted from my tower run (7 wins)

Attachments

Last edited:
Gen III Battle Frontier Discussion and Records

View attachment 336583
The front lines of Pokemon battling!

Join us on the Battle Facilities Discord server!
Battle Facility threads: Gen II Tower | Gen IV Frontier | Battle Subway | Battle Maison | Battle Tree | SwSh Facilities | BDSP Tower

Things to keep in mind:
  • Regular Smogon and Orange Islands forum rules apply.

• Feel free to discuss anything about the teams and strategies you use, the enemy Pokemon and movesets you encounter, and your streak successes and failures. Theory-moning is encouraged as well. Free form discussion is really helpful, so don't be shy, even if you're posting about a very early loss or a poorly optimized team.

• Please do not make claims about AI "cheating", be it through influencing probability (100% accurate Sheer Colds), coded counter-teaming, impossible abilities (e.g. Lightning Rod Zapdos), etc. Every generation, people make crazy claims about how the AI cheats. Many such claims prove demonstrably untrue, while for all others, there's been no solid evidence. If you want to post about how you lost to Sheer Cold Smeargle, you better have a battle video to back up your claims.

• Reliable information on how the AI plays is most appreciated. For example, the AI Pokemon don't switch out, even when Tricked a Choice Band while using a non-damaging move. Also, the AI still try to use status moves when you're behind a Substitutes. The more information we have, the better our streaks can get.

• Any other useful information concerning the Battle Frontier is also appreciated. Examples include that Dragonite and Tyranitar do not appear in level 50 challenges, and Soul Dew does not give any stat boosts when held in challenges.

• Don't cheat (this includes save stating or restoring save files to avoid losses). Streaks using hacked or genned Pokemon will not be leaderboard eligible.

• Due to the hardware limitations of Gen 3, I will be allowing the use of these glitches only applicable for the following scenarios:
    • Pomeg glitch will only be allowed only for:
      • Glitching breedable parents (The parent itself will not be allowed due to illegal met data).
      • Reaching Southern Island and other event places.
    • Pike glitch will only be allowed for:
      • Sketching legal egg move combinations.
      • Recover or teach forgotten pre-evolution or level-up moves (Except for moves not available over +Lv.50 and not eligible in Level 50 mode).
      • Level-up moves that can be passed down as egg-moves (Such as Megahorn on Heracross).
      • Repeated use of moves lock behind move tutors that will only teach a move once per save file (Such as Substitute or Double Edge).
    • The Battle Tower glitch (RS) will only be allowed for:
      • Obtaining a roamer Latios with higher IVs on Ruby/Sapphire. Any other Pokemon will not be allowed.
For more information on the glitches that are allowed and not allowed check this post.
  • This is not a court of law. I reserve myself the right to reject sufficiently dubious streaks even without absolute proof of cheating.

Leaderboard Requirements:
  • All records require an importable of the team used. A description is appreciated, but not mandatory.

• Records on emulators are eligible. Records on retail and emulator will be marked differently so that others wanting to replicate the streak are aware. Due to how easy it is to cheat streaks on emulator, having concrete proof such as recorded videos or detailed write-ups is heavily encouraged.

• Streaks must be done on legitimate copies of the game. Emulator streaks must be done on unedited ROMs. Bootlegs or fan-translations will not be allowed.

• When posting a record, please make it clear the facility it is for, what level you challenged at (if applicable), and whether you played on retail or emulator.

• Any record equal to or greater than the required wins for Gold Symbol of their respective facility (see below) requires some form of proof. A short description of your overall streak, how it ended and with a photo from a camera or a screenshot of the emulator from your latest record.
  • Battle Tower: 70 wins
  • Battle Arena: 56 wins
  • Battle Factory: 42 wins
  • Battle Palace: 42 wins
  • Battle Dome: 10 tournaments (40 rounds)
  • Battle Pike: 10 passes through (70 rounds)
  • Battle Pyramid: 10 rounds (70 floors)

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Best of luck to everyone!

Potentially Useful Resources:
Smogon Resources:

Forum Resources:

Previous Gen III Battle Frontier Threads:
Emerald Battle Frontier Guide PLEASE HELP DEVELOPING
Gen 3 Battle Frontier Record thread
The Battle Frontier discussion thread!

Bulbapedia Pages:

Pokemon Emerald Gold Symbols Speedrun FAQs:
All Gold Symbols FAQ by Werster

Discussion Threads for Other Generations:
Gen II - Crystal Battle Tower Discussion
4th Generation Battle Facilities Discussion and Records
Black & White Battle Subway Records
Battle Maison Discussion & Records
Battle Tree Discussion and Records
8th Generation Battle Tower Discussion & Records

Hey Battle Frontier Account! I felt compelled to reply to this, as Arena is my favourite facility. I am not here whether to judge the streak is legitimate or not, but to give to some friendly advice.

To begin, I would strongly advise you to learn the mechanics of breeding, evs and ivs. Your team has potential for more than it is, but it is limited by the suboptimal moves and stats. I would highly recommend you to breed for flawless attack and speed for Flygon and Heracross and flawless special attack/speed for Starmie. You can check the IV guy in the Battle Frontier whether you bred that correctly. Once you have that done, check the Battle Frontier speed tiers on page 1 of this forum. I would recommend having 167 speed for both Flygon and Starmie.

Based on my MANY arena runs, I would also recommend consistent items. I would recommend items like Lum Berry, cheri berry, leftovers, persim berry, chesto berry, salac berry and liechi berry as you know exactly when these items will be useful. Hax items like bright powder, focus band and quick claw tend to be a little too inconsistent for my liking, as you cannot control when it activates.

If you insist on using these three members, I created an optimal version that you can use below. I tested it myself and reached past Gold on my 3rd attempt, with a 90-95% consistent win percentage against both Greta battles.

First off, I would change the order to Flygon, Starmie and Heracross. Flygon lead makes the most sense, as the speed and ground typing beats electric types. Starmie checks the bulky waters and beats fire types that Heracross loses to. Heracross last checks grass types and electric types that beats Starmie.

Strategy for Greta 1 and 2
  • Substitute and Fly. That is it. Greta’s Heracross likes to go for Rock tomb turn 1. You can spam fly to win this. You win if you don’t miss fly.
  • Fly ties at worst against Greta’s Umbreon and Starmie beats both Gengar and Breloom with Psychic

heracross-pokémon-heracross.gif
I’ll also explain my Heracross set, so you can understand how I ev trained it.

• Able to outspeed Jolteon 4 at +1
  • Lives Starmie’s psychic from full
  • Dumped the rest into attack
  • Pretty obscene power with swarm and Megahorn. Able to ko offensive Misdreavus, Zapdos at +2, Offensive Gengar at +4
  • I found Heracross has severe 4 moveslot syndrome. Need SD, Megahorn, EQ and Brick Break. No room for Endure or Rockslide.

Here’s the pokepaste for the team. I encourage you to aim higher than Gold, with a team on the leaderboard that we can all be proud of. Cheers!

https://pokepast.es/f69533adfff5345e

1. I did not have a plan against greta silver. I had completed that months ago, before I learned to manipulate Iv's. Starmies speed stat is 141, and honestly I chucked a bunch of random vitamins in my bag into it, along with calcium and the speed one. It was my first competitive pokemon so I really rushed it. starmie is great because it beats most cool trainer and dragon trainer sets which have the highest bst.

2. I did not run into alakazam. if I did, I would've lost because of the no switching rule. alakazam and gengar always used to disrupt my runs in the tower before I started breeding good mons. I did run into jolteon and electrode, and both killed my starmie, but flygon counters all electric mons. most of the mons I faced were regis, articuno, and the tuber team with blastoise. I had two (maybe 4) matches where heracross died to the houndoom and charizard immediately. in my gold battle tower team (a few week from now if i get time) i have a steel. I also ran into many hikers (i think majority ruin maniac) and starmie also beats them. when I ran into psychic, they always used mr. mime, espeon, and I forget which else.

I would like to record footage, but I already beat greta, Would it be ok if I recorded the footage, from my already gold save file?

also I want to make it clear, that the team is worse than most teams here, but my runs have no pseudos, no legendaries, and no trades, so I really only get half the viable mons.

sorry for controller overlay. flygon band, is there, because i just screenshotted from my tower run (7 wins)
As I said before, if you want the streak to be added you will have to restart. I don't have a problem if you want to continue but if I don't see video footage starting from battle 21 until Gold then I won't add it as I do have some reservations on how you would've gotten to 56 wins specially considering how suboptimized the team members look.

Even if you are restricting yourself on not using legendaries, submenceisop still managed to get over 100 wins without using Lati@s with this team featuring Kingdra. You can still make a good team without pseudo-legendaries as well so I don't see a problem why you wouldn't be able to do a new run if you were able to hit 56 wins without cheating.

As I said before, if you want the streak to be added you will have to restart. I don't have a problem if you want to continue but if I don't see video footage starting from battle 21 until Gold then I won't add it as I do have some reservations on how you would've gotten to 56 wins specially considering how suboptimized the team members look.

Even if you are restricting yourself on not using legendaries, submenceisop still managed to get over 100 wins without using Lati@s with this team featuring Kingdra. You can still make a good team without pseudo-legendaries as well so I don't see a problem why you wouldn't be able to do a new run if you were able to hit 56 wins without cheating.
I thought alot about it, and I really don't want to return to the arena until i beat the tower, since i already made a team specifically for it. I have a bad exam this week, so mostly i haven't been playing. I do intend on uploading the full tower run from battle 35, uncut, when I get to it.

Hey Battle Frontier Account! I felt compelled to reply to this, as Arena is my favourite facility. I am not here whether to judge the streak is legitimate or not, but to give to some friendly advice.

To begin, I would strongly advise you to learn the mechanics of breeding, evs and ivs. Your team has potential for more than it is, but it is limited by the suboptimal moves and stats. I would highly recommend you to breed for flawless attack and speed for Flygon and Heracross and flawless special attack/speed for Starmie. You can check the IV guy in the Battle Frontier whether you bred that correctly. Once you have that done, check the Battle Frontier speed tiers on page 1 of this forum. I would recommend having 167 speed for both Flygon and Starmie.

Based on my MANY arena runs, I would also recommend consistent items. I would recommend items like Lum Berry, cheri berry, leftovers, persim berry, chesto berry, salac berry and liechi berry as you know exactly when these items will be useful. Hax items like bright powder, focus band and quick claw tend to be a little too inconsistent for my liking, as you cannot control when it activates.

If you insist on using these three members, I created an optimal version that you can use below. I tested it myself and reached past Gold on my 3rd attempt, with a 90-95% consistent win percentage against both Greta battles.

First off, I would change the order to Flygon, Starmie and Heracross. Flygon lead makes the most sense, as the speed and ground typing beats electric types. Starmie checks the bulky waters and beats fire types that Heracross loses to. Heracross last checks grass types and electric types that beats Starmie.

Strategy for Greta 1 and 2
  • Substitute and Fly. That is it. Greta’s Heracross likes to go for Rock tomb turn 1. You can spam fly to win this. You win if you don’t miss fly.
  • Fly ties at worst against Greta’s Umbreon and Starmie beats both Gengar and Breloom with Psychic

View attachment 441044
I’ll also explain my Heracross set, so you can understand how I ev trained it.

• Able to outspeed Jolteon 4 at +1
  • Lives Starmie’s psychic from full
  • Dumped the rest into attack
  • Pretty obscene power with swarm and Megahorn. Able to ko offensive Misdreavus, Zapdos at +2, Offensive Gengar at +4
  • I found Heracross has severe 4 moveslot syndrome. Need SD, Megahorn, EQ and Brick Break. No room for Endure or Rockslide.

Here’s the pokepaste for the team. I encourage you to aim higher than Gold, with a team on the leaderboard that we can all be proud of. Cheers!

https://pokepast.es/f69533adfff5345e
I don't want to be consistent, I want to be lucky lol. a brightpowder miss on an important battle is more powerful than the hp, from say leftovers.

I fully understand breeding, but i'm not sure if I can match the teams here. I don't want to offend anyone here, but the people with 5 IV's are probably rng'ed. anything above 3iv seems too hard. I tried rebreeding starmie while watching videos last night, but I realized after 2 iv, it would be exponentially harder because you can only breed it with a ditto, and it would have to be a naturally caught 2 iv ditto. Right now i only have 1 iv ditto for every type.

How do you guys breed metagross and starmie for 3 iv?

I don't understand everyones obsession with speed here. I was hardly ever outsped, and hoenn mons tend to stay around 80 speed. I think HP is more important. theres no advantage of being 180 speed against an ursaring or registeel.

I think heracross is sort of bad, and while making it, i didn't realize brick break is only 75 bp. heracross would be the greatest pokemon in hoenn if brick break was like 85 bp. I would love to know more good non legendaries non pseudos though. I think walrein can be good, and the only problem is its slow and doesn't get moves, but i'd love to beat the pike with it to force it on the tier list.

Can you explain why ninetails is on there? it was the weirdest thing seeing it so high. I always assumed it was bad.

Hi everyone, just wanted to post my current streak of 105 wins in the battle Tower of the emerald battle frontier level 50. First couple of run I used a toxic stalling milotic instead of slaking but it was boring so I did another run from start with slaking and here I am at 105. Just to be put in the leaderboard I guess and be proud.

Console - Game boy advance SP

Game - Pokemon emerald original cartridge (italian version)

Just beaten for the third time Anabel with this team. Used RNG reporter in another emerald cartridge and passed over with the game link just to have some good ivs in the right stats.

https://pokepast.es/6265135ce0afb14d

Slaking (Gorillaz)
1675835853278.png

Jolly/ choice band
ivs 30/31/31/29/29/30
Evs 252 atk / 252 speed / 6 hp

Double edge
Earthquake
Shadow Ball
Aerial Ace

Metagross (Titan)
1675835905611.png

Adamant / leftovers
ivs 31/30/8/6/31/31
Evs 200 hp / 252 atk / 58 def

Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Shadow Ball
Explosion

Latios (Zefiro)
1675835880425.png

Modest / lum berry
ivs 18/2/4/31/31/30
Evs 252 sp atk / 252 speed / 6 hp

Calm mind
Ice beam
Psychic
Thunderbolt

Ok not much more to add, its a pretty common team I think. I just hit hard with slaking and change him, based on the enemy. If I sense a threat I use metagros explosion without even thinking. If I have the chance I try setting up latios with a couple of calm mind but rarely, cause it s kind of fragile and strong atk move like mega kick or mega horn will send him to kingdom come. Also shadow ball, man that ball is really scary.
Basically slaking and metagross do the rough job, they are strong and bulky and just love violence. They get their hand bloody while latios watch comfortably from behind and if needed he comes over to clean the house. I was doubtful about using calm mind, and thought of dragon claw or surf, for stab the first, more coverage the second. In the end maybe it s not the right choice calm mind but the few time that I was in the condition to use it, I created a monster able to wreak havoc over the entire frontier.
So maybe yeah, calm mind can be good.

I will post again when the streak will end. Just beaten Anabel for the 105 victory pretty easily but I don t know what danger awaits beyond.
Lots of time I escaped death thanks to missed sheer cold and horn drill, sooner or later I know they will get me. It s a straight forward offensive team and I know that for a longer streak you need toxic stalling pokemon and other strategies but with a real cartridge you cant faat forward so it become really tiring overall. My plan is hit fast and hard. When slaking miss or get status effect I start to sweat but it didnt happened often.

Finally I would like to thank this forum, huge help overall with the damage calculator and the excel spread sheet and the lots of various notions.

Just wanted my name on the leader board, so I have a goal in mind, seen as my streak is still going.

I attached some proof down here.
Cheers everyone.

Attachments

Last edited:
Ok I feel kind of dumb to be here so soon but I already lost my streak.
From 105 to 107, wow huge improvement lol. Thanks for putting me in the leaderboard man, you can update my new record :) I guess at least I m in the top 10 kind of ahaha.

Anyway, I win the first 2 round easily using just slaking, than this fucker came, with a quick claw snorlax that kick the shit out of my slaking as soon as the match started. I was able to put the fat ass down but than he arrived: summoned from the pit of hell and perpetual darkness, with the sole goal of obliterate my team... a dragon dance salamence. I have metagross and I know he has earthquake and he is faster, so basically the plan is to switch to latios, the fucker should go for earthquake cause is super effective against metagross and I know if he can he will go straight for the kill, but with latios he will miss and then I can freeze his ass shooting a good old ice beam to his face. Yeah, that WAS the plan. But he used dragon dance and oh boy, I didnt know how fast and strong he could become. Just 1 dragon dance and I had already lost. Outpaced my 161 speedy latios ready to shoot Ice beam and OHKo him with double edge, than slashed my metagross with earthquake and also the weakened slaking without a sweat. Thinking about a different strategy, I should have used explosion with metagross but I thought he would earthquacked me instantly. I don t know, kind of pissed off but it was a good and fun run overall. I looked it up and that salamence has a bad reputation, known inside the battle factory as salamence4 and one of the scarier threat in the later rounds. Anyway, thanks again for putting me in the leader board, I can sleep well now :)

Attachments

Last edited:
Currently in the middle of 30+ winstreak in the battles dome with the following team.

:Latios:
Latios @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
IVs: 31/0/31/31/30/31
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Sp.att / 252 Spd
Level 50 stats: 156/85/100/182/130/178
Nature: Timid
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Claw
- Psychic

:Tauros:
Tauros @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
IVs: 31/31/30/15/30/31
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Level 50 stats: 151/152/115/46/90/178
Nature: Jolly
- Return
- Strength
- Hidden Power Ghost (70)
- Earthquake

:Metagross:
Metagross @ Lax incense
Ability: Clear Body
IVs: 31/31/31/30/31/31
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 6 Spa / (Idk why)
Level 50 stats: 187/205/150/103/110/90
Nature: Adamant
- Shadow Ball
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Had a bit of a scare when a certain Steelix deciding to use explosion after I knocked out it's scizor partner >w>

Threats: QC mons like slowking, Being stuck spamming earthquake against flying/Levitate mons if latios gets KOed, and the dreaded sheer cold walrein...
Just posting a quick update to announce that I've reached up to 50 straight wins in the dome (Level 50) as well a 25 singles win streak featuring the same 3 mons

Attachments

Hey there. I'm new to Smogon and had time to play Pokemon, so I went back to playing Emerald. After nearly 15 years, I had the time to attempt a Gold Symbol run and did it. Thought I would post this to mainly help out.

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 12.53.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 12.53.07 AM.png

This will probably be the only post I make on Smogon bar replies and/or questions to this, but I had enough time to attempt this challenge and note my experiences after beating each Facility. By no means do I consider myself an expert after all of this. I did the research and adjusted to my own weaknesses and what I felt comfortable with. I worked with whatever natures, EVs, and IVs I had. An equal amount of attempts ended due to both bad luck and my own decision making. But I'm glad things turned out well. Credit mainly goes to Werster and Exarion.

So without further ado...
For reference, I played the game back in 2005-2006. Quite a while, and after seeing a few videos with nearly a month of vacation to spare, I found the itch to get back into playing the game for this challenge. My main teams back then revolved around Zapdos, Swampert, Salamence, and Cradily, only ever obtaining the Silver symbols. I don’t remember much about my actual battles since it was so long ago, but I believe many of them bar the Arena were pretty down to the wire. No EV training, no fundamental game knowledge, so in retrospect, it was no surprise that I had great difficulty in getting even the Silver symbols.

There are some basic ground rules I set before I started this challenge. I made it a point when I first opened the VBA Emulator that I would not resort to Gameshark or anything of that sort. Absolutely no glitches, no cheats, no additional save states, none of that. I was planning to beat FireRed after this experience, but if needed, I could pull any Pokemon out of there if required. Also, I decided for the sake of enjoyment, to build a very balanced team pre-Pokemon League, rather than beat the initial game just on the back of Lvl. 70 legendaries and overpowered Water starters as I did before. Whether or not I used them in the Frontier depended on how they were actually raised and how effective I saw them in long run. I ended up beating the game with a fairly balanced team, using Swampert, Gardevoir, Manectric, Heracross, and Salamence to beat the League, and it was quite a lot of fun to do.
I hit the Battle Frontier after getting Latios and Metagross and EV training as best I could to Level 60. I based my initial team off of Werster’s speedrun, but since he himself mentioned that he got extremely lucky during his run, I decided to go out of my way and catch more Pokemon once I knocked out what facilities I could using his team. This was also partially attributed to me botching the natures of both Swampert (Relaxed) and Latios (Gentle), not knowing when their natures were determined in-game. I got a Naughty nature Heracross from the Safari Zone I used to beat the League, but realized it was likely not going to be of much use in any facility due to typing and coverage issues of my initial team. For these reasons did I try to start to catch more Pokemon. I added Starmie during the Battle Pike run, Milotic before the Battle Arena run, Slaking before the Battle Tower, and finally Gengar and Tyranitar for the final run at the Battle Palace. I also used FireRed to acquire TMs (particularly Earthquake, Aerial Ace, Shadow Ball) I could only acquire once in Emerald.

There was a lot of trial and error, particularly in the Battle Factory and the Battle Pike where I really had to think about what I was doing. I still had the tendency to risk a matchup through sheer type advantage and move pool, which ended up having things take much more time than I expected. I ended up thinking my battles through a lot more, so I became a better player in the process, much better than before. However, my teams weren’t completely RNG-proof and not always given ideal EVs, IVs, or nature, so there was a LOT of luck involved on my part as well.
Without further ado, here are the Pokemon I used for the Gold Battles. I will not be including the ones used for the Silver Battles, as they are trained to beat the Pokemon League. Swampert is the only exception to that rule.

Metagross
  • Facilities Used: Dome, Pyramid, Pike, Arena, Tower
  • Method Acquired: From Steven’s house (post-game, Mossdeep City)
  • Nature: Adamant
  • EV Spread: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP
  • Items Used
    • Choice Band (Dome, Pyramid, Pike, Arena)
    • Leftovers (Tower)
  • Moves
    • Meteor Mash
    • Earthquake
    • Shadow Ball
    • Explosion
Latios
  • Facilities Used: Dome, Pyramid, Pike, Arena, Tower
  • Method Acquired: Caught (Route 110, roaming)
  • Nature: Gentle
  • EV Spread: 252 SpAtk, 252 Speed, 6 HP
  • Items Used
    • Lum Berry (Dome, Pike, Arena, Tower)
    • Brightpowder (Pyramid)
  • Moves
    • Psychic
    • Dragon Claw
    • Thunderbolt
    • Calm Mind (Dome, Pyramid, Pike, Arena) / Surf (Tower)
Swampert
  • Facilities Used: Dome, Pyramid
  • Method Acquired: Starter Pokemon
  • Nature: Relaxed
  • EV Spread: Unknown (used to beat Pokemon League, so it had a random spread)
  • Items Used
    • Leftovers
  • Moves
    • Earthquake
    • Surf
    • Ice Beam
    • Counter
Starmie (w/ Natural Cure ability)
  • Facilities Used: Pike
  • Method Acquired: Lilycove City (Super Rod)
  • Nature: Rash
  • Items Used
    • Brightpowder
  • Moves
    • Psychic
    • Surf
    • Ice Beam
    • Thunderbolt
Milotic
  • Facilities Used: Arena, Palace
  • Method Acquired: Caught (Route 119)
  • Nature: Quiet
  • EV Spread: 252 HP, 252 SpAtk, 6 Def
  • Items Used
    • Leftovers (Palace and Arena battles 1-49) / Chesto Berry (Arena battles 50-56)
  • Moves
    • Surf
    • Ice Beam
    • Toxic
    • Protect (Arena) / Recover (Palace)
Slaking
  • Facilities Used: Tower
  • Method Acquired: Caught (Petalburg Forest)
  • Nature: Adamant
  • EV Spread: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 6 SpDef
  • Items Used
    • Choice Band
  • Moves
    • Double Edge
    • Earthquake
    • Shadow Ball
    • Aerial Ace
Gengar
  • Facilities Used: Palace
  • Method Acquired: Traded from FireRed (caught in Lost Cave)
  • Nature: Sassy
  • Items Used
    • Brightpowder
  • Moves
    • Psychic
    • Thunderbolt
    • Ice Punch
    • Fire Punch
Tyranitar
  • Facilities Used: Palace
  • Method Acquired: Traded from FireRed (caught in Sevault Canyon)
  • Nature: Hasty
  • EV Spread: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 6 Spd
  • Items Used
    • Leftovers
  • Moves
    • Rock Slide
    • Crunch
    • Earthquake
    • Substitute
This was, as I heard, the easiest facility to tackle. My only issues were running into Gardevoirs 4 and 5 (in reference to the Bulbapedia list of Pokemon available) which had access to the elemental punches. But as I said, with access to information on your enemy’s team combined with great overall coverage from yours, this should be one of the easier facilities. I ended up reaching Tucker on the third run to the gold battle. The team I used had fantastic coverage overall and cover the other team’s members very well.

As for the Gold battle itself, I decided to lead with Metagross and anchor with Latios. Thought process was to potentially pivot into Latios if he led with Swampert, to avoid a potential Earthquake, and then max Calm Mind to sweep the rest of his team (Swampert will for whatever reason prioritize Mirror Coat). I could cover the other two mons using Shadow Ball or Earthquake. I double EQ’d the Metagross, and got finished off by a Latias Thunderbolt. Sending Latios out, I knew I had the battle in the bag since Tucker’s Latias didn’t have Dragon Claw or Ice Beam as a countermeasure. After two Dragon Claws, I got my first ever Gold symbol.

Team Used: Metagross (1st), Latios (2nd), Swampert (not chosen in battle).
This ended up being the easiest facility for me by far, rather than the Dome.

Since I had a much stronger team than 2005-06, I knew I could take this a bit easier, but with that I ended up trying something I didn’t when I first had Emerald: heal less and use less items until the rounds following Brandon’s Silver battle round. This paid dividends, and I was lucky enough to win Brandon’s Silver Battle easily without healing in-fight. I also knew that there were rounds where the wiser option was, in fact, to engage wild Pokemon rather than not even in rounds I didn’t need to. The two main reasons were to help in gaining more items (especially Revives), and to avoid unnecessary damage as I already had an exorbitant amount of Ethers to refill key moves such as Meteor Mash, Shadow Ball, and Psychic. Having Metagross lead off due to its diverse moveset and Steel-typing led to me not having many problems with wild Pokemon in the Pyramid.

As for the battle with Brandon, I knew I would probably get the symbol anyway due to the fact that I could use items and I got more revives in this round than many of the previous, plus I also already had the held items I wanted (Choice Band, Leftovers, and Brightpowder for Latios). I led off with Metagross, and ended up botching Meteor Mash twice and eventually got Crit’d due to Articuno’s Scope Lens. I landed two Surfs on Articuno before deciding to fully revive Metagross and heal up Swampert due to a few missed Blizzards and an Articuno reflect. Funny enough, Swampert ended up sweeping his team after that point, first Surf spamming Articuno and Moltres before Ice Beams took down Zapdos.

I’m still honestly surprised at how much luck I had here. Examples being a warp tile being immediately right next to me after spawning on a tenth round floor, the amount of Revives I picked up in the latter two rounds, and the plethora of Hyper Potions I picked up throughout (a boon at Lvl. 60 or below). This was really the only facility in the entire playthrough I did where I went straight to the gold Battle without a single defeat.

Team Used: Metagross (1st), Latios (2nd), Swampert (3rd).
Easily one of the harder facilities, as you’ll need a good amount of luck later rounds considering a terrible opening Pokemon pool will ruin you no matter how diverse your typing is. An example of this being one sixth round run where my open round starting pool consisted of not one, but TWO Quagsire with no access to Water attacks. This was also one of the two facilities (the other being the Pike), as previously mentioned, where I learned to play smart. Strategies such as sacrificing mons and avoiding unnecessary switching for simple type advantage really helped me become a better player here.

I can say with complete certainty that you can get by the first 20 battles (maybe even the first 27) through sheer knowledge of type advantage alone bar the bad luck I mentioned previously. The AI isn’t terribly great until the 21st battle, Noland or not, but you’ll still eventually have to play a bit smarter third round onwards. The real challenge truly begins in the fifth round onwards, where Pokemon do not have a set moveset for the round and can have anywhere from between 4-8 possible movesets. I ended up settling for a pretty diverse team after the 31st battle consisting of Suicune1, Snorlax7, and Zapdos3 (swapped for Latios4 in 33rd battle on). I was just as lucky in the sixth round, immediately getting Vaporeon2, Snorlax6, and Moltres2 (later Latias5). Before the Noland fight, I had the dilemma of swapping out Vaporeon with Suicune3, but ended up deciding against it due to the fact that Vaporeon did the exact same thing but also had access to Rest. I also wanted to highlight how absolutely broken Snorlax was for me in both the fifth and sixth rounds, being an all-around buzzsaw and easily sweeping a number of battles by itself.

The battle with Noland started out with him sending out Golem, which immediately got eliminated with a Vaporeon Surf. He then sent out a Tyranitar, which fell to two Surfs, but not before lowering my health to about half with an Earthquake. His final Pokemon was Articuno. I attempted to Rest, but surprisingly went down to a Double Edge, which inadvertently helped out due to Vaporeon’s massive health pool. I sent out Snorlax next since I could potentially whittle away his health with Shadow Ball, but he used Swagger. I luckily landed Shadow Ball despite being confused, hitting it to red, and I knew the battle had been won since the Articuno was an Articuno5 with no self-sustain with Sand Stream still up. I swapped next turn to Latias and Articuno fell to Double Edge recoil.

Team Used: Vaporeon (1st, used 2nd moveset), Snorlax (2nd, used 6th moveset), Latias (3rd, used 5th moveset).
This was the facility that really led me to divert from Werster’s speedrun team. Status conditions were costing me battles in the sixth and seventh rounds of my first few runs and I was not very happy with Swampert’s performance in latter rounds. I decided to stick to Metagross, and added Starmie to best utilize the Natural Cure ability and Heracross to take advantage of its Guts ability. That led me to losing to fire types, so I decided to remove Heracross and add back Latios. This would be a crucial decision since due to similar movesets and speed, I would win any double battle barring Regice and bulky mons like Slaking or Snorlax.

The strategy I followed was simple, using the advice given by the lady in the odd-numbered rooms to avoid the “Is it a trainer…?” or “Nostalgia” status affect rooms. For my Gold-winning run, I believe I got through both the seventh and the ninth rounds without facing a single battle. I did decide to take a chance at times due to Latios’ Lum Berry and Starmie’s Natural Cure. I was fortunate enough to have either Poison as my status — sparing Metagross — or having the “Nostalgia” room as the fourteenth room for the seventh and ninth rounds.

In the tenth round leading to Lucy, I didn’t face a single battle until a double battle in the twelfth room (room before you are warned about the Pike Queen). My opponents were an Exeggutor and a Wailord, but Metagross got hit with Fissure from Wailord, so I headed into the final two rooms with only Latios and Starmie.

In the fourteenth room, two of my Pokemon were healed, but Metagross still remained out, so it was just Latios and Starmie against the rest of her team. I was hoping that type coverage provided by both of their movesets would be enough for the win. Seviper fell to one Latios Psychic, and then two Thunderbolts took care of Gyarados (the first Paralyzed it, which was the best possible thing that could have happened given its moveset). Although Steelix was left and I still had Starmie, I was worried for two reasons: Steelix’s Brightpowder and its access to Explosion, which would lose me the challenge if Starmie somehow couldn’t land Surf in the absence of Latios. My only tactic at that point was to not swap to Starmie and instead spam Psychic. However, I got particularly lucky that Steelix missed Screech and Rock Slide, and even attempted EQ, so I whittled away at its health without any issues. Despite being hit by a Critical Rock Slide, Latios was still at around half health by the time the fifth Psychic ended the battle.

This was the most satisfying win due to the fact that everything that could possibly have gone wrong went wrong before the battle, and I got all the luck I needed in the battle with Latios and Lucy’s Steelix not prioritizing Rock Slide against it.

Team Used: Metagross (1st, was fainted at start of Lucy battle), Latios (2nd), Starmie (3rd).
Boy, oh boy. The Arena looks pretty simple on paper, but the inability to switch in-battle eliminates a lot of potential team-based strategies, and you will have to fight your way out with what you have if the opposing mon counters yours. This facility is really, really good for either sweepers with good offensive coverage. Think Latios, Metagross, Salamence, Starmie, and Heracross. I’ve read from another post that this is the Tower on Hard mode, and while I didn’t yet face the Tower, I could pretty much understand the sentiment.

For my first run, I initially started with the lineup of Latios, Metagross, and Starmie, losing in the first battle of the fifth round (the 29th battle). Note that I used Salamence instead of Latios in the fourth round because its movepool of Aerial Ace/Fire Blast/Dragon Claw/Brick Break completely counters Greta’s silver team. I didn’t have the ideal nature or moveset for it outside of that, so that was really its only use for me. A key weakness for me to cover was Electric and Fire types in the late-game, so I dropped Starmie for Swampert. Unfortunately, Swampert’s offense was extremely lackluster in later rounds, so I experimented with Metagross, Latios, Heracross. My Heracross, however, couldn’t cover Latios’ weaknesses very well. That’s when I eventually decided on going with the original Latios-Metagross 1-2 order, but now adding Milotic to anchor my team.

Milotic is an interesting choice here, because despite being weak to Electric types, it was both sturdy and tough enough to beat simple Electric types like Manectric and Jolteon after Metagross was able to damage to them. I had a Modest Feebas in my PC, but I eventually decided on a Quiet Nature, given the Sp.Atk boost and my plan to eventually use it as a potential counter to Suicune at the Battle Palace. It paid dividends, using a standard Surf/Ice Beam/Recover/Toxic moveset. However, after losing to a Shiftry with Explosion, I decided to replace Recover with Protect. . Against the Greta round only, I swapped Leftovers for a Chesto Berry to counter Gengar’s Hypnosis and Breloom’s Spore, just in case Metagross wasn’t able to win against either.

My final lineup ended up being pretty strong, but what really pushed me over the edge was the fact that I needed to change how I played with a point Latios since I couldn’t switch out. Having access to Calm Mind meant that I could either defeat the enemy in one shot right away, or I could Calm Mind the first two turns. If you are running a point Latios à la Werster, be able to identify against what mons you can safely CM multiples time into.

My victory against Greta depended on whether or not Latios survived against Umbreon, as Gengar had a very dangerous moveset against the rest of my mons. Having watched Werster’s match, I knew that I had to at least win the Mind judging category, so that meant using Dragon Claw for all three turns under the assumption that Latios would be confused after the second turn (the first turn confusion being negated by Lum Berry). On the third turn, Dragon Claw landed and Umbreon responded with Rest. As Latios was safe and sound the entire round, I managed to tie on the Skill judging category, which tipped the judging in favor of Latios. Gengar was sent out, but Latios snapped out of confusion that turn and outsped Gengar to OHKO’d it with Psychic. Breloom fell similarly, thus marking the second Brain in a row that was swept by Latios in the gold battle.

Team Used: Latios (1st), Metagross (2nd), Milotic (3rd)
Even after completing this challenge, I still cannot decide between the Tower or the Arena as to which facility is harder. The Arena prevents switching, but the Tower has 14 more battles to fight, which means 14 more battles you could possibly lose to anything ranging from RNG to being hard-countered or even being legendary/pseudo-spammed. Those last 14 battles were the most stressful I faced, since they were already pretty high up in the win count column and way more than I ever did in any Pokemon game I played prior.

After the Arena, I realized that it would be next to impossible to win other Gold symbols with my current team, so I decided to bring some TMs and additional reinforcements from FireRed. With the Earthquake and Shadow Ball TMs, it was now possible for me to build another physical sweeper. Slaking was the obvious choice. I’d read about it, but didn’t really realize how dangerous this guy was until actually laying hands on it. A Choice-Banded juggernaut capable of indiscriminately OHKOing legendaries, walls, and other lethal threats. If you EV train Slaking in Speed, you’ll be able to outspeed most setups, but more importantly in the later rounds, outspeed almost all of the Latios/Latias setups. For reasons I discuss later in this section, I experimented with Flamethrower and contemplated Fire Blast, but ended up giving Slaking Aerial Ace as the fourth move. I can say with certainty that I wouldn’t have won the Gold Symbol here if I didn’t invest time in training a Slaking in this manner.

The strategy I used was simply to defeat the first opponent as fast as possible, and then switch into Latios/Metagross depending on the matchup and finish the battle off from there using those sweepers. If neither was able to get the job done, I still had access to another Double-Edge without fainting to recoil. Prior to the runs, I swapped Latios’ Calm Mind for Surf to counter ground and fast-Fire types, as well as Quick Claw physical attackers like Rhydon and Armaldo that could potentially OHKO you. Metagross’ Explosion still remained the ideal finisher for each battle, as it still eliminated the correct Pokemon even without having Choice Band.

There are a few glaring weaknesses to this setup, however. Scizor and Forretress are two big culprits. Slaking’s Flamethrower can take out Forretress, but not Scizor, who has the capability to wipe your whole team if running the Swords Dance / Silver Wind setup. I ultimately thought it best to sacrifice Metagross and send out Latios to outspeed Scizor and eliminate it, as Slaking’s Earthquake takes it to red, while still having the ability to still use Double-Edge safely if it’s ever needed again. Non-point Reversal users are another problem. If you mistime your pivot from Slaking, Medicham or Blaziken can setup Endure/Reversal the turn after switching. Medicham can wipe your whole team, but a Critical Hit Reversal from any of the users can OHKO even Latios. Double Team users are also a problem if Truant is used on a turn they intend to use DT. As I could safely deal with Scizor, I decided to give Slaking Aerial Ace, replacing Flamethrower, to deal with DT users. Finally, Special sweepers that either have high speed or use Quick Claw are a threat. I had one unfortunate encounter with Lapras2 that ended up outspeeding both Slaking and Latios with Quick Claw and OHKOing both through consecutive Critical hits. Surprisingly, I never had any terrible instances with setups like the Lapras8 that had Quick Claw + Sheer Cold / Fissure / Horn Drill; however, make it a habit to get on your knees and pray that you never, never encounter any of those setups, because they are normally executed properly when encountered and there is absolute nothing you can do about it.

The Gold Anabel battle ended up being a lot easier than expected. Despite Raikou having EVs in HP, Def, and Speed, Slaking outsped and easily OHKO’d it, showing that the EV training in Speed paid off. I ended up switching into Metagross after Latios was sent out and began setting up Calm Mind. After the second CM, Shadow Ball took Latios into exactly half health so I would need to use Shadow Ball 2 more times, maybe more since Latios had Recover. While a Dragon Claw took me down to half health, the subsequent Shadow Ball was a Critical hit, taking down Latios and leaving Snorlax. Metagross’ Explosion was enough to end the battle without much trouble.

Team Used: Slaking (1st), Latios (2nd), Metagross(3rd)
Before I discuss my experience, a bit of theory and reasoning behind my team for this facility. For starters, I completely moved away from the general speedrunning Pokemon such as Latios and Metagross. My Latios’ Gentle Nature meant it could only attack less than 20% of the time when it’s half health or higher, but at 90% otherwise. Thus its combination of high speed and relatively low defense would be a major liability for the Palace since it would more likely skip the first turn after it is sent out. Had it been a Timid Nature, I would have easily included it in this squad. As the nature of both Metagross and Slaking was Adamant, I probably would have been able to let it slide, but without Latios’ coverage, I decided to leave both off. This basically meant I would need to construct a new team from scratch.

For starters, I needed a general special sweeper. Taking my lessons from the Battle Tower and already used to swapping to out Earthquake, I decided first on Gengar, equipped with Brightpowder to try to keep it in its Sassy Nature attack probability range. This essentially put Fighting types out of the picture, and made only one of Spenser’s Slaking’s moves effective on it, being Shadow Ball.

My next Pokemon needed to be a physical sweeper that could tank Slaking’s Shadow Ball. Perusing through Pokemon capable of learning Earthquake through level up while still having wide coverage, I eventually decided on Tyranitar. Now I didn’t have Dragon Dance on this one, but Sand Stream was the perfect out to any Double Team users. Nature-wise, I had a Sassy Nature Larvitar, but eventually decided on Hasty Nature. As I still had a chance to use a defensive move early due to the nature’s profile, I decided to use a Substitute/Leftover combination, particularly to also take complete advantage of the enemy’s chance of having a non-action turn. A fair number of my victories were due to this exact strategy, as Tyranitar even swept matches even during the Gold-winning run.

The final Pokemon needed to be a specific counter to Spenser’s Suicune. I initially decided to use Vaporeon over Milotic, due to the fact that Water Absorb took Suicune’s only STAB move out of the equation. There were three glaring weaknesses I saw when using Vaporeon, however. The first was its near abysmal Def combined with its decreased speed, getting OHKO’d and outsped by a Marowak without a Quick Claw or without a critical hit. The second was the Sassy Nature’s knack for choosing the move that did the most damage, as I found Vaporeon using Surf and Ice Beam when I needed it to use Toxic against certain opponents. Finally, by virtue of the previous point, Water Absorb would be nowhere near as beneficial a counter to Suicune. For this reason, I decided to swap for Milotic prior to my winning 6th round of battles to get to Palace Maven Spenser, Vaporeon being nothing but mere spot removal for Fire, Ground, Rock, and Dragon types in battles 1-35.

This facility will go by very fast with the Sassy Nature, but Gengar wasn’t able to finish the job at some points due to lack of STAB moves, even though its SpAtk stat actually slightly rivaled that of Latios. This did cost me 1-2 runs, and 1-2 of my other losses were due to me being completely hard countered. I actually lost the 14th battle of my very first run through the facility, since the opponent ran a Choice Banded Absol, Modest SpAtk-based Metang, and a Stantler (Absol for some reason, decided to choose Iron Tail over Shadow Ball, and I switched into Tyranitar predicting the Shadow Ball). But if your team is raised correctly, you will breeze through to even the sixth round to face Spenser easily, as you will almost very likely not be facing Legendaries or Dragonite/Tyranitar.

My immediate plan when starting the battle against Spenser was to pivot into Tyranitar immediately, set up Sand Stream, and hopefully drop Substitute before facing the rest of his team. It went exactly as planned, and Arcanine did around quarter damage before I defeated Arcanine with an Earthquake, with Substitute already active before Slaking was sent out. If Slaking defeated my Substitute, I had the ability to set up another one and draw out the match longer due to taking advantage of Truant. Slaking missed Hyper Beam, but it did take me a while to eventually take him down and he was able to eliminate my Substitute before that. When he sent out Suicune, I did a bit of math and thinking first. His nature was the same Hasty nature as Tyranitar’s, but I decided to assume that due to its EV spread not containing SpAtk, I knew I could live two Surfs since the Leftovers recovered its HP back to near max. If I landed at least one hit plus Sand Stream’s active effect, I could change its nature such that it wouldn’t be able to Calm Mind repeatedly to the point of seriously threatening Milotic. On the other hand, if Suicune’s health got too low, Gengar would be able to end the battle with Thunderbolt. Suicune landed Surf and Tyranitar countered with Rock Slide, but Suicune was still over half health. However, it spent the next two turns using Calm Mind, swapping its attacking probability as expected after another hit landed from Tyranitar. Tyranitar eventually fell to Surf, and I decided to send out Gengar, hoping to win the battle with either Thunderbolt or the following Sand Stream hit. I won with Thunderbolt.

And there it is, my final gold symbol. I was so excited at checking off something from my childhood bucket list, that I forgot to record my final battle on my Frontier Pass.

Team Used: Gengar(1st), Tyranitar (2nd), Milotic(3rd)
Here are the available streaks that I have made. Streaks in the Tower, Factory, and Dome are not current. I ended up finishing the entire challenge in around one month total.

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 12.52.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 12.52.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 12.52.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 12.51.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 12.51.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 12.51.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 12.51.02 AM.png
As I’ve said before, and I’ll say it again, there was a lot of luck involved in this challenge. RNG or a bad matchup at any point could end your streak just as it had for me many times. It takes a lot of perseverance to beat this, whether it be going through the streak itself, EV training, or even finding a Pokemon of the correct nature. Even if I didn’t botch natures, I strongly advise having multiple copies of other Gen III games to get the tools you need should you want to finish this challenge faster.

My only goals left are to win all the contests and reach 105 wins in the Battle Tower. Will probably do something with Gen IV, but not going to Gen V, since stopped playing after Diamond and Pearl.

Last edited:
After beating the Dome and the Palace once and for all, I decided to continue with the Pyramid. It is the second of my two favorite facilities in Emerald. I love how it focuses on exploration. It is a ton of fun, and I think it is very exciting to play through.

I have a lot to say about it, it became so long to the point that I got over the character limit and had to split this in two posts.

Battle Pyramid (Part 1)

I used some extra resources this time around. First, Golden Blissey’s Pyramid Floor layout guide. It was useful for determining which maze I was in, and where the exit would be located when I got to a different maze. But it wasn’t always easy since your light radius is very small in the beginning, forcing you to explore a bit more at the risk of getting ambushed by trainers. And I still missed the exit a few times even if I thought I had thoroughly explored an area.

One thing I noticed now is that it felt like the layout got more complex on the higher floors in each round. But I don’t know, this was just a feeling. And after playing for a while, I mostly learned where in each possible layout the exit was located to the point that I didn’t always need to use the guide.

Another good resource I discovered after I had started on the streak (right before starting on round 14) was Huff_J7’s guide to how trainers are placed in the Pyramid. After my own experiences with the Pyramid, I can confirm that this is true. I usually found trainers scattered randomly around the floor, but they would occasionally gather near the entrance or the exit. Another thing I noted is that it seems like all trainers in the Pyramid can only look in 1-2 different directions. This means that if you spot a trainer and observe in which direction(s) they look, you can use that to your advantage and possibly sneak past them! Or at least that’s how I think it is, I never saw a trainer which looked in more than 2 different directions.

As for battling trainers, I prefer to avoid multi battles against two trainers if possible. If I need to battle two trainers to get to the exit, I try to battle them in two single battles instead of in a multi battle, if I’m given the option. I think this is the better strategy, it definitely feels safer to do it this way.

That post also contains some info about fleeing from the wild Pokémon in the Pyramid. During this run, I tried to run once and failed, so I never tried again. I always defeated the wild Pokémon, and since it seems like the chances of successfully fleeing are very low, I think that is the correct thing to do.

I also used Expert Evan’s guide to wild Pokémon in the Pyramid. It was great for seeing the specifics for the wild Pokémon I faced in every round. Unless I didn’t look close enough and missed some details, which I did a few times (those are detailed later on). I should also mention that using this guide made me happy since Expert Evan is one of the people who inspired me to start battling in the Frontier in the first place. I remember reading about all of his great exploits before I started at the Frontier and I thought it was so cool! I even talked with him a few times on Serebiiforums back in 06/07. He is really cool. It is great to see that his legacy is still living on even if he doesn’t play the main series Pokémon games anymore. But now I’m getting lost in memories again, back to the present!

This guide is very useful since it details all of the Pokémon you face in each round, as well as their movesets and levels. It also taught me that the encounter slots change with each floor, and that the encounter rate is higher on the 7th floor. As for the AI behavior of the wild Pokémon, they seemed to pick moves at random.

In addition to those, I also used the two resources I always use: Bulbapedia’s list of Frontier trainers whenever I faced a trainer, and turskain’s battle facility damage calculator when I had to run damage calcs or sometimes check Speed tiers. Another thing that I should mention (and that other users have mentioned earlier in this thread), is that in multi battles against the trainers in the Pyramid, their Pokémon are both pulled from the pool of the first trainer you face (the one on the right side). This is also great because it makes it easier to look up opposing sets when facing two trainers, you only need to look up one of them instead of both.

I think that’s it for the guides and general info about the Pyramid. Next up, how did my streak go? So amazingly awesome that it is hard to put down in words! Ultra-mega-epic, perhaps?

For Level 50, I had an ongoing streak of 70. As usual, I had stopped directly after beating the Gold Boss, Brandon in this case. This was the first Gold Symbol I got, which means that this was my oldest ongoing streak. I got the Gold Symbol from the Pyramid in early August 2006. Now, 16 years later, it was time to continue on it!

Format: Level 50, retail cart

I’m going to do this in reverse order, so I’m starting with the streak. For the second time on Emerald, I have got a streak which I’m very happy about.

Streak: 301 (ongoing)

Picture proof:

This was another streak that went really well, just like with my streak at the Dome. This means that my two best streaks in Emerald so far have been in my two favorite facilities!

My strategy for the Pyramid has always been to explore the floors while looking for the exit, pick up any useful items I can find and avoid as many trainers as possible. I don’t remember how I did in the past, but now, I always defeated or roared away the wild Pokémon I faced. I healed my team when necessary, either with Blissey’s Softboiled and Aromatherapy, or with Potions, Berries and Revives. As well as Ethers and Leppa Berries if I had to restore PP.

Since the wild Pokémon are different depending on your current round, it meant I had to adapt to the current theme and use several different teams. Before we get to that, I want to showcase the Pokémon I used. Introducing… The Pyramid Family!

:Slaking:
Liza is the big sister of the family, a hard-hitting physical attacker which can demolish almost any opponent. She needs a break every other turn since she is very lazy, but since all battles in the Pyramid are 1vs1, this doesn’t matter much.

:Salamence:
Natalow is the little sister of Liza, another great physical attacker which doesn’t hit quite as hard as her big sister but she is still strong. She has better coverage against certain types, she can also scare the opponents and lower their Attack with Intimidate. And unlike Liza, she can attack every turn.

:Starmie:
Zed is the big brother of the family, and the main special attacker. I know Starmie is genderless, but Zed is male in my mind. Colorful coverage allows him to hit many types super effectively and deal lots of damage.

:Heracross:
Brave is the middle brother, he is the third physical attacker and can hit really hard as well. He offers different coverage than Liza and Natalow, allowing him to take their place in some situations. However, his role is rather niche and he wasn’t used very much.

:Houndoom:
Toad is the family’s pet. He is usually a calm dog, but he can also get really aggressive if he faces something that he sees as great food, such as Ghost- Psychic- and Steel-types. Unfortunately, he has rather limited coverage and more or less requires a good matchup in order to be useful in trainer battles. Still, he had a quite important role during the run.

:Gengar:
Dizzy is the little brother of the family, he wants to be big and scary but he is modest to the point that it doesn’t work. He didn’t have a big role in the streak but he had a niche in some situations thanks to his typing. He is also a decent special attacker.

:Blissey:
Faszal is the mother of the family, she is responsible for keeping the kids in good condition. She can heal them or cure their status if necessary. She can also wall any special attacker and defeat them without issues, except opposing Gengar.

I also want to give a shout-out to the two who were used in round 1-10. The youngest sister Jojo the Lapras :Lapras: who was used in round 7, and the family's extra mother Cabey the Blissey :Blissey: who was used as a cleric for the first 10 rounds.

Then a full overview of the 7 Pokémon I used now. I think it will be easier if I just post them once and not for every round. If I say that I used Blissey in a round, it will always be Faszal and not Cabey.

Here are the details for them:
:rs/Slaking:
Slaking (F) @ Choice Band ** Liza
Ability: Truant
IVs: Flawless Att / Def / Spd
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spd
Level 50 stats: 221/233/120/99/75/152
- Return
- Earthquake
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Beam

:rs/salamence:
Salamence (F) @ Choice Band ** Natalow
IVs: Flawless Att / Spd
Level 50 stats: 169/205/95/108/90/152
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Aerial Ace

:rs/starmie:
Starmie @ Lum Berry ** Zed
Ability: Natural Cure
IVs: Flawless Sp.att / Spd
Level 50 stats: 125/77/99/167/97/167
Nature: Modest
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

:rs/heracross:
Heracross (M) @ Choice Band ** Brave
Ability: Guts
IVs: Flawless Att / Spd
Level 50 stats: 152/194/83/47/113/137
- Megahorn
- Brick Break
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

:rs/houndoom:
Houndoom (M) @ Lum Berry ** Toad
Ability: Flash Fire
Flawless Sp.att / Spd
Level 50 stats: 142/99/64/178/97/147
- Flamethrower
- Crunch
- Roar
- Protect

:rs/gengar:
Gengar (M) @ Lum Berry ** Dizzy
Flawless Sp.att / Spd
EVs: 78 HP / 252 Sp.att / 180 Spd
Level 50 stats: 131/75/75/200/92/153
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
- Hypnosis

:rs/Blissey:
Blissey (F) @ Lum Berry / Leftovers ** Faszal
Ability: Natural Cure
IVs: Flawless HP / Def
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 Sp.def
Level 50 stats: 362/26/68/80/142/74
Nature: Impish
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Aromatherapy
- Softboiled

Faszal was holding a Lum Berry all the way until one point during round 18, when I finally found a Leftovers. That became her hold item from there on.
Then a short overview of all of the teams I used for each round:
For what I can remember for round 1-10, see here for a short overview or here for a longer explanation.

For the rounds I did now, my teams were the following:

Round 11: Salamence/Starmie/Blissey
Round 12: Starmie/Slaking/Blissey
Round 13: Salamence/Gengar/Blissey
Round 14: Heracross/Starmie/Blissey
Round 15: Slaking/Starmie/Blissey
Round 16: Houndoom/Salamence/Blissey
Round 17: Houndoom/Salamence/Blissey
Round 18: Starmie/Slaking/Blissey
Round 19: Slaking/Starmie/Blissey
Round 20: Slaking/Starmie/Blissey

Round 21: Salamence/Starmie/Blissey
Round 22: Starmie/Slaking/Blissey
Round 23: Starmie/Slaking/Blissey
Round 24: Houndoom/Salamence/Blissey
Round 25: Slaking/Starmie/Blissey
Round 26: Houndoom/Salamence/Blissey
Round 27: Slaking/Starmie/Blissey
Round 28: Slaking/Gengar/Blissey
Round 29: Slaking/Starmie/Blissey
Round 30: Starmie/Slaking/Blissey

Then it looped back again, which means that round 31 has the same wild Pokémon as round 11. I did not change teams, so the team I used for round 31 was the same as I used for round 11, and so on.
And now for the big things. Here’s how it went for each round. I put this in several spoilers in order to hopefully make it easier.
Round 11:

The theme here is Fighting-types. Salamence and Starmie are two good answers to those. Though it seems like the only Fighting-type move the wild Pokémon have is Focus Punch, which makes them easy to beat even for a Pokémon weak to Fighting. Blissey in the third slot for healing and support. I decided to lead with Salamence.

Upon entering, I checked my bag to see what items I had. Not a whole lot of Potions and Revives, sadly. No Leftovers either, I hope I can find one later on (which I ended up doing). I had a Choice Band which I gave to Salamence, and several Lum Berries. I gave one to Starmie and one to Blissey. I like how you can have the same hold item on multiple Pokémon here. As for the bag, the ten-item-limit is a little annoying but I guess it would have been too easy if you had been able to carry more items.

I have talked about Salamence and Starmie before. I went with my CB Salamence here since all battles are just 1vs1 or Multi battles against two trainers with 1 Pokémon each, there’s little to no need for Dragon Dance. As for Blissey, it is a standard support/cleric set. “Standard” for me, at least. Perhaps the moves and Blissey’s role is just plain obvious, but I’ll go over it anyway. Seismic Toss to deal damage, it is Blissey’s best move for dealing as much damage as possible. Toxic to Poison opponents and slowly wear them down, Aromatherapy to cure itself and the team from status. Softboiled to heal itself as well as the other team members outside of battle. I learned now that it doesn’t work on fainted Pokémon, but I have Revives for that. My other Blissey (Cabey) knows Thunder Wave instead Toxic, but I decided to use Faszal now since it feels like Toxic is a better alternative as it gives Blissey a good chance to beat anything that isn’t Poison or Steel or has some way to cure status, such as using Rest.

Natural Cure is the obvious Ability of choice. Together with Lum and Aromatherapy, Blissey has three ways to cure itself from status! As for the EVs, it has maxed HP and Defense to tank physical hits well, it already has high enough Sp.def so it doesn’t really need any investment there. Combined with its titanic HP, it allows Blissey to beat any Special attacker that doesn’t boost too much. I will admit that I’m not sure if this is the best spread, but it was the standard back when I trained it in 2006.

Why is it Impish and not Bold? I remember that when I was breeding for a second Chansey (I had already trained Cabey), I was trying for what felt like a long time get another Bold one with Flawless HP/Def, but I just never got one. I didn’t know about the glitch when breeding for HP/Def in Gen 3 at that point, but in retrospect, it was at full work! Eventually, I hatched an Impish Chansey with Flawless HP/Def. Since I wasn’t planning to use any attacking moves on this Blissey, I decided to keep it. It makes no difference if it is Bold or Impish. As for confusion damage… it once got confused now during the run and it did 6 HP of damage when it hit itself in confusion! Impish works just as well as Bold in this case.

So that’s the team I used here. As for the round, it went fairly well. Salamence OHKO’d all the wild Pokémon with Aerial Ace. It felt like I didn’t meet a lot of wild Pokémon, at least not before the final floor. I guess this is either due to the low encounter rates, or because of Salamence’s Intimidate.

I had a very scary situation on the seventh floor. I got ambushed into a Multi battle – twice in a row! Starmie fainted in the first battle and I decided to not revive it, which was a very bad decision. This left me with just Salamence and Blissey in the second battle, which made it very scary. But the opponents were easy, so I won. They were also the last two trainers left, so there were no more trainer battles to be had. It was still scary though.

I also realized that after beating a trainer, you can talk to them and get a random hit to one of the following: in which direction the exit is located, how many trainers are left on the floor, or how many items there are left on the floor. So that’s great.

It took a while to complete this round since I explored very carefully… or so I thought. I decided to try to be even more careful from here on. Still, it was very fun! A great return to the Pyramid after 16 years. Here’s to many more rounds!

Round 12:

The theme of this round is Weather. I thought it over for a bit and it felt like Starmie could be a good choice here since it can hit most of the opponents for Super effective damage. I did some damage calculations before just to check, not going to post them in detail though. I was initially unsure about the stats for the wild Pokémon in the Pyramid, but I assumed they have zero EVs, random Natures and random or maxed IVs. I later asked about this on the Discord server and one user named NO WAY HOME confirmed that they are generated in the same way as any regular wild encounter. Thanks for that!

Anyway, the results of my damage calculations were that Starmie will always OHKO Tropius, Pupitar and Cacturne. It has a 81.3% chance to OHKO Flareon if it has max level and maxed stats, but Flareon can’t do a whole lot in return if it survives. Quagsire, Lapras and Walrein are all 2HKO’d at worst. Quagsire can’t do much back, while Lapras and Walrein will hit a little harder with their STAB Ice Beam. Starmie will survive their moves, but it doesn’t like getting Frozen… except for the fact that it doesn’t really matter since I have Lum Berries!

Gyarados seemed like the big problem here. It could survive a Thunderbolt depending on its Nature, level and stats. It can also hit really hard with Thunder, it can even OHKO Starmie if it gets a Crit. The good thing is that Blissey should be able to wall all of the ones Starmie can’t beat. I then went with Slaking as the third Pokémon. So my team was Starmie/Slaking/Blissey.

There are several notable things that happened this round. Directly on floor 2, I found myself surrounded by four trainers. Come on! All of them were at least within my field of vision. I picked two and got into a multi battle with them, beat them without issues though. Then I accidentally got into a battle with a third as I was going away from the area. There were no more trainers on that floor, thankfully.

On floor 3, it took me forever to find the exit. It turned out that I had missed it at first, it was at the edge of one area I thought I had explored in detail, but it I hadn’t.

On floor 4, one part was completely blocked by trainers. They basically stood in a line and I was forced to fight one of them to continue. But it was no problems, and I found the exit directly afterwards.

On floor 6, it took a while to find the exit. I finally found it in the northwest corner, but it was surrounded by four trainers! I had to fight two of them, and I decided to fight them in two single battles in order to hopefully make it easy. I took the two that seemed the easiest, not sure if it was the case but I beat both of them without issues.

On floor 7, I immediately got into a multi battle ambush just like last round! This time, it was pretty hard. My opponents had Flygon and Starmie, the opposing Starmie was faster than mine (or I guess it won the Speed tie) and OHKO’d mine before it could move. It was then OHKO’d by Slaking’s Shadow Ball. Afterwards, I sort of misplayed a bit. I used a Revive on Starmie to bring it back to life, I then used a Hyper Potion on Slaking, but it still fainted because of the Flygon (I think it got a Crit with Dragon Claw, don’t remember exactly). I then beat the Flygon with my Starmie. While I won, this battle cost me some valuable resources.

As for the wild Pokémon, they were generally no problem. Starmie could OHKO or 2HKO everything. I met several Gyarados, probably more than 10 in total, most of them were on the final floor. Starmie managed to OHKO all of them, including some at level 54 and one at level 55. It also seems like the wild Pokémon choose their moves randomly. Sometimes they would set up their weather, at other times they attacked right away.

Overall, this round went fairly well. However, I had to fight a lot of wild Pokémon which cost a lot of PP, forcing me to use some Ethers and Leppa Berries. It definitely feels like I met more wild Pokémon here compared to in Round 11, I guess Intimidate works in the Pyramid. This round was also quite exhausting and it feels like it took longer to beat it than Round 11, probably because I fought so many wild Pokémon here.

Round 13:

For this round, the theme is Bug-types. A Flying-, Rock- or Fire-type feels like a good choice. Or at least something with a move from one of these types. Except not really, because one type won’t cover all of the wild Pokémon since they added Shuckle/Armaldo and Scizor/Forretress in the mix. I studied the wild Pokémon a bit and it felt like Salamence/Gengar could be a good core. I ran some damage calcs which showed that Salamence can OHKO Pineco, Venomoth, Heracross and Shedinja (lol). It can also 2HKO Scizor at worst, while Scizor can’t do much in return. Meanwhile, Shuckle and Forretress are completely walled by Gengar. Auto-winning against 6/8 opponents and beating a 7th without major issues is great.

The potential problem was Armaldo. I ran some damage calcs and found that Armaldo might survive a Rock Slide from Salamence if it is at a high enough level and/or has high enough stats in HP and Defense. It can also hit Salamence really hard with its own Rock Slide. And there’s of course a chance that Rock Slide will miss! For both sides, for better or worse. Despite that, I decided to stick with my original plan. I went in, hoping I wouldn’t face too many Armaldo. Intimidate should hopefully help keep the wild Pokémon away, I also had two Fluffy Tails in my bag which I guess can be used in an emergency. I also find it funny how Shedinja was picked as the “ace” Pokémon of this round instead of Armaldo. Blissey was obviously picked as the third Pokémon. So my team became Salamence/Gengar/Blissey.

I have talked about Salamence and Blissey before, now it is Gengar’s turn! I should mention that I don’t think this is an optimal set for Gengar in the Pyramid (or for the Frontier in general), but it is what I have. Thunderbolt and Ice/Fire Punch to hit decently hard with great coverage. No Special STAB this generation, sadly. Hypnosis in the last slot to put opponents to sleep, but it feels very unreliable, I never used it now and I don’t think I’ll ever use it in the future either. Not sure why I went with it in the first place. Maybe I should change it to something else, not sure what though. The tier list for the Frontier in this thread says: “PS: You are a complete noob if you're using 4 attacks on a Gengar.” Perhaps that is the case. I guess I’m not a complete noob then, but it feels like I’m not far from since Hypnosis doesn’t feel like a good option.

My Gengar has a Modest Nature to hit hard, not sure if Timid is better but Modest worked here at least. As for the EVs, it has maxed Sp.att to hit even harder. I mentioned the Speed briefly in my last post. With these EVs, Gengar gets a Speed stat of 153, which is exactly one point above max Speed neutral base 100s. I’m not sure about the HP EVs though, Gengar doesn’t have super great bulk so I’m not sure if the HP EVs help. Overall, there are bound to be way better Gengar sets for the Pyramid (and for the Frontier in general), but this one worked for what I needed it to do.

So that’s the team. As for the round, it went surprisingly well. Despite my worries about the wild Armaldo, there were no real problems to speak of. Some notable things that happened were that on floor 1, I found the exit almost immediately. It took a long while to find it on floor 4 though, and the exit was blocked by a trainer I was forced to fight. She was easy though, she had a Heracross which Salamence beat without issues. The exit on floor 6 seemed to be blocked by several trainers. I didn’t look too deeply into it though, I just fought one of them (which was also easy to beat) before proceeding.

On floor 7, I did for once not get instantly ambushed into a multi battle! Towards the end, as I had found the exit and was heading towards it, I encountered two wild Forretress. Both of them decided to use Explosion! As I had immediately switched to Gengar, they ended up dealing no damage. That was hilarious.

I encountered a total of 6 Armaldo along the way. Here’s how it went against them:

1: Level 47. I use RS but miss, it uses RS against Sala which does around 2/3, I then hit and OHKO with my second RS.
2: Level 51, I OHKO with RS.
3: Level 54. I use RS for around 95%, it gets flinched. It then uses Protect twice, the second one fails but I miss with RS. Then it successfully uses Protect twice again. After that, I use RS but miss again! It uses Water Pulse. Then I finally KO with RS. That was surprisingly dramatic. Not too difficult, but it wasted a lot of PP.
4: Level 51. It uses Protect to block the first RS, I then OHKO with the second one.
5: Level 52. Same as the last one, it uses Protect and then I OHKO with RS.
6: Level 55! I decided to use EQ here which does around 80%, it uses Water Pulse, I then KO with another EQ.

So, out of these 6 Armaldo, only 1 ended up causing damage, while another wasted a lot of PP. The rest were easy. I completely forgot about using my Fluffy Tails.

Sadly, I met no wild Shedinja during the round. But I picked up some Revives, which was really nice! All trainer battles here were easy, Salamence or Blissey took care of them. I didn’t need Gengar for any of them.

Round 14:

The theme here is Dark-types. They are weak to Bug and Fighting. Not to Fairy though, this isn’t OR/AS, so fairies are still a mere myth. Heracross felt like a good candidate here, having both Bug and Fighting STAB. I ran some damage calcs.

- Sableye is always OHKO’d by Megahorn, it can survive an Earthquake if it is at level 46-47, but it is almost always OHKO’d at level 46 as well. EQ always OHKO’s if it is at level 45 or below.
- Sneasel can potentially outrun Heracross, but can’t do much damage with its moves. Fortunately, it does not have Aerial Ace.
- Houndoom is OHKO’d by Brick Break, but it can outrun Heracross and OHKO with Overheat if it rolls absolute max Speed. But Houndoom is completely walled by Blissey, so no worries if I should stumble upon one at level 55.
- Umbreon at level 51 and above have a chance or will always survive a Brick Break, but they are OHKO’d by Megahorn. Before I started, I forgot that the wild Umbreon here carry Psychic. But upon checking their damage output in the calculator after clearing this round, it turns out that they have a 0,4% chance to 2HKO at best. So no problems there.
- Everything else is OHKO’d by Brick Break.

I entered with Heracross/Starmie/Blissey. Before starting this round, I decided to use PP Ups to max the PP of all their moves. I have never done this to any Pokémon on Emerald before. I had over 200 PP Ups in my PC, so I might as well use them on something. I regret not doing this earlier, but better later than never. Or so I hope. I will do this for other Pokémon I use for the later rounds as well. This means I won’t have to use as many Ethers and Leppa Berries.

As for this round, it took a while to find the exit on floor 1, then I found it almost immediately on floor 2. Within less than 10 steps, which was great. I accidentally got into a multi battle ambush on floor 5, which was really dumb as I could have avoided it. This battle was pretty notable as well. I was up against Ludicolo and Slowbro. Starmie used Thunderbolt on Slowbro for around 50%, Heracross used Megahorn to OHKO Ludicolo, Slowbro used Psychic to OHKO Heracross. Starmie then KO’d Slowbro with another Thunderbolt. I won, but I was forced to use a Revive on Heracross afterwards.

On floor 6, I got into a trainer battle against a Gengar. While Blissey walls all of the Gengar in the Frontier, it can’t do anything in return and I did not feel like getting into a long stall battle. I didn’t want to switch to Starmie either since Gengar has so many nasty moves (it was an unknown set), so I left Heracross in. Gengar was faster and used Psychic, but Heracross survived. It used Rock Slide, the Gengar also survived and KO’d on the next turn. I sent out Starmie for a revenge kill. Because of this, I was forced to use another Revive.

On floor 7, there were many trainers around the exit. I was forced to fight at least 2 in order to proceed. I decided to fight them in single battles since I had the option to do so. The first one had a Suicune which got 2HKO’d by Megahorn. The second had a Tentacruel which Heracross OHKO’d with Earthquake.

Along the way, I also faced three trainers who had a fast Flying-type (Dodrio, Crobat, Fearow). I had to switch out Heracross against them, no point in losing it. I won against them with Starmie/Blissey, but it made me wish I had a Flying-resist on this team.

I also found some more good items along the way.

I won in the end, but this round cost me some resources. I think Heracross was great as a lead against the wild Pokémon in this round, but I think I could have used a different special sweeper in order to have better defensive synergy with Heracross. Something that resists Flying and isn’t afraid of Gengar. Not sure what such a Pokémon could be, though. But I made it through anyway.

Round 15:

Here, we have a theme of Water-types. And Gold Brandon at the end of the round. A Grass- or Electric-type could be good… except there’s wild Ludicolo, Quagsire and Pelipper in the mix. Some of the wild Pokémon here also have moves like Ice Beam and Earthquake. Feels like every round has some sort of “anti-counter” to the Pokémon that might seem like a good option to beat them at first glance. I don’t really have a good Grass- or Electric-type for Level 50 either.

Instead, maybe Slaking can do the job? I did some damage calcs, and the results were positive. Slaking will always OHKO Blastoise with Hyper Beam, Return also has very high chances of OHKOing them at level 51 or below. The wild Starmie can outrun Slaking if they are at level 52+ and roll high enough Speed, but they can’t OHKO Slaking, and Blissey walls them. Otherwise, Slaking can safely OHKO them. Pelipper and Ludicolo both have Protect, but they are walled by Blissey, Starmie can also switch in on Pelipper and OHKO with Thunderbolt. As for the others, Slaking can OHKO them with Return (or Shadow Ball for Slowking).

Because of this, it felt like Slaking should work here, with Starmie and Blissey as the obvious backups. Same team as I used for round 12. The only difference is that Slaking is in the lead here. This was also similar to the team I initially used against Gold Brandon back in 2006… if memory serves me correct. As time passes, I am getting more and more unsure about the details for my past achievements. The only difference I can remember is that I used my other Blissey back then.

Before entering, I gave PP Ups to Slaking, then it was time to start!

This round went very well. I accidentally missed one item on one of the early floors, it was very close to the exit and I ran directly for the exit, so I missed it. It also felt like I almost only met wild Ludicolo on floor 5. On floor 6, I got ambushed into a multi battle, but I won without issues. On floor 7, I was surrounded by trainers upon entering, but I managed to walk past them without getting into battle! So that was cool.

Otherwise not much. As said, it went very well. I barely faced any trainers and I found the exits quickly for the most part. All wild Pokémon battles were easy. Slaking nuked everything except for two. The first was a Ludicolo which used Protect, I beat it with Blissey. The second was a Blastoise, I could have beaten it with Slaking but I sent in Blissey instead because I needed to heal it with Softboiled. I did so and beat the Blastoise at the same time.

Before the final exit, I made sure my team was in top shape. I also put Starmie in the lead. The main reason being that I had run some damage calcs with Slaking against Brandon’s birds, which showed that none of them were safely OHKO’d by Return. I guess their Defense investment helps a bit after all despite their Mild Natures. I also knew Brandon would lead with Articuno, which Starmie can Thunderbolt to death. Facility leaders having a random lead didn’t start until Gen 4 IIRC. Or was it Gen 5? I really can’t remember anymore.

I wrote a log for the battle against Brandon, find it below:

Brandon sends out Articuno, I send out Starmie.
Starmie uses Thunderbolt for around 60%, Articuno gets paralyzed and FP!
Another Thunderbolt for the KO.
Next is Zapdos of course.
I switch to Blissey, Zapdos uses Thunder and misses!
Detect, Toxic fail.
Light Screen, Toxic, Lum cure. Should have checked the details for his sets, will remember to do that next time.
Detect, Toxic fail.
Detect fail, Toxic success!
Detect, SToss fail - twice in a row, Zapdos takes poison damage along the way.
Then Drill Peck but it doesn’t do a lot to Blissey, SToss hits, more poison damage.
Drill Peck, Blissey at a little above 50%, Softboiled brings it to full HP again. Zapdos faints from poison, Moltres left.
Safeguard! Toxic fail! Next time, I am definitely checking the sets in full detail.
I switch to Starmie, it tanks a Fire Blast and lives with 62 HP.
Surf for the OHKO!

I have beaten Gold Brandon! For the second time… it makes him the second Gold Boss I have beaten in a rematch past the original Gold battle, with Tucker being the first.

This went extremely well. Both the round and the battle against Brandon. In comparison, I remember that my initial battle against Gold Brandon 16 years ago was very difficult… from what little I can remember of it. But now I have a good strategy for beating him! With this team, at the very least.

And so, I have cleared 15 rounds and 105 floors! Really great. On to the next round!
Continued in the next post.

Battle Pyramid (Part 2)
Round 16:

The theme of this round is Ghost-types. Slaking’s Shadow Ball should be able to take care of most of them, but the wild Duskull and Shedinja have Protect, and I wanted to try something different. Houndoom feels like a good choice. I ran some calcs with it, and it showed that the wild Sableye and Dusclops have a chance to survive a Flamethrower/Crunch if they are at high enough level and roll high enough stats. Gengar can also outrun Houndoom if it rolls high enough Speed at level 52+, and it has Destiny Bond which isn’t very fun. But it felt like the odds of that happening are pretty low. Houndoom can safely OHKO everything else.

I went with Houndoom. Blissey to accompany it of course, and then Salamence as the Physical attacker since it has better defensive synergy with Houndoom compared to Slaking. Houndoom and Salamence are both weak to Rock, but Intimidate and Earthquake should be able to help a little. And it is way better than to have all three team members weak to Fighting!

I haven’t talked about Houndoom before, so time to say some things about it. Houndoom was one of the first 12 Pokémon I trained for Level 50 at the Frontier back in 2006, and on my list of Pokémon I have trained to Level 50 for the Frontier, it is number 1! This Houndoom was specifically trained for the Pyramid. Notably for round 6, which has Pokémon with trapping Abilities. Houndoom is a Dark-type, thus making it immune to Mirror Coat from the wild Wobbuffet/Wynaut, allowing it to murder them with Crunch. Or you can just use Roar to end the battle, if you are smarter than me when I was 15. It can also outrun and OHKO the others with Flamethrower… though now that I look at the stats in-depth, the wild Dugtrio can outrun Houndoom of they are at level 48+ and roll high enough Speed. But from what I remember, that never happened in Round 6.

Flamethrower and Crunch are the obvious STAB moves. After that, Houndoom doesn’t have a lot of other offensive options. Solarbeam perhaps, but that requires the sun to be active, or you need to wait a turn while the move charges, which allows the opponent to KO you in the meantime. There’s also Hidden Power of course, but as I have said at earlier points, I never learned RNG in Gen 3 and I can’t imagine the pain of using traditional breeding to get a specific Hidden Power. Instead, I went with Roar and Protect since I couldn’t think of anything else. As said earlier, Roar could have been used to great success in round 6 if I had been smart enough to use it. Regarding Protect, it was rarely used, but I realized now that it has three great uses. First, it allows Houndoom to scout opposing sets. Second, it can allow its partner to use Earthquake freely once time during multi battles. Third, it allows Houndoom to auto-win against opposing Slaking!

Houndoom has a few other options like Will-O-Wisp/Toxic for support, and I guess it can go mixed as well, but this is the set I went with since it has decent Attack. It has a Modest Nature with maxed Sp.att and Speed to hit hard and fast. Flash Fire felt like the better of its two Abilities, giving it an immunity to Fire.

So that’s the team for this round. Before entering, I gave PP Ups to Houndoom and Salamence.

This round went very well on the whole. Only two really notable things happened. In one of the trainer battles, the trainer had a Slaking. Houndoom auto-won that battle thanks to Protect, though it didn’t really make much of a difference since it was the special Slaking set which Blissey would have beaten, and it just used Yawn on the turns where it could move. The second thing was that similar to an earlier situation, I found myself surrounded by trainers as I entered floor 6. But I managed to walk past all of them without getting into any battles.

The wild Pokémon on this round were no problems. Most of them were OHKO’d, there were some Sableye and Dusclops which survived but they couldn’t do much in return so they got 2HKO’d instead.

Round 17:

The theme here is Steel-types. A Ground-, Fire- or Fighting- would be a good answer here. Or at least something that has a move from one of those types. I ran some calcs for Slaking, Salamence, Heracross, Houndoom and Gengar. Not going to post the full details, but the results showed that Houndoom had the best matchups on the whole. Special attacks felt like a better alternative than physical attacks here, which isn’t too surprising since Steel-types tend to have high Defense. The only issues for Houndoom are Aggron and Metagross. They can both potentially survive a Flamethrower and hit back hard with Earthquake. Aggron also has Ice Beam, which means I can’t safely switch Salamence into it. Still, I decided to go with Houndoom/Salamence/Blissey, just like last round. I also remembered to use my Fluffy Tails this time around.

This round was quite tough. Several notable things happened. On the first floor, I ran into a trainer with a Gengar. It used TBolt to hurt Houndoom pretty badly, I used Crunch but missed! One of the Brightpowder sets confirmed. It can potentially have Ice Punch, so switching to Salamence is not safe. Instead, I decide to take the safe but long option, so I switched to Blissey to stall it out of PP for TBolt. I didn’t keep count super clearly, but once it started using Fire Punch, I healed Houndoom, switched back to it and OHKO’d with Crunch.

On floor 3, I had another trainer battle against a mixed Latias set. It got 1-2 Crits and 2 Sp.def drops on Blissey. Quite haxy.

On floor 4, I saw many trainers in one place which made me think I had found the exit. This turned out to be true as I saw the exit right after the battle I am just about to describe. I had to get into a Multi battle with two trainers. They had Slowking and Lanturn, not fun at all. On the first turn, I let Houndoom use Protect while Slowking got a QC activation and OHKO’d Salamence with Ice Beam. I sent in Blissey. Thankfully, Blissey walls both of them as they are special attackers. On the next turn, Houndoom used Crunch on Slowking for around 95%, Blissey used Softboiled since it was damaged after a previous battle, Slowking used Surf but Houndoom thankfully survived, Lanturn used Confuse Ray on Houndoom which was cured thanks to Lum. Next turn, I let Houndoom use Protect again, Blissey defeats Slowking with Seismic Toss while Lanturn uses Surf. I then target Lanturn with Crunch + Seismic Toss, Houndoom is a star and gets a Crit, scoring an OHKO! That battle was scary and it costed me some resources, but I did at least win.

On floor 5, I was surrounded by trainers as I entered. I thought I would have to fight 2 but I only had to fight one. I picked one of them, said trainer had a Gardevoir which Houndoom ate for lunch.

On floor 6, I got ambushed into a Multi battle. The opponents were Gengar and Swampert. Gengar used Confuse Ray on Salamence, Houndoom OHKO’d Gengar with Crunch, Salamence did fortunately not hit itself, it used Aerial Ace on Swampert for around 50%. Swampert used EQ to KO Houndoom. Out with Blissey. Swampert survives another AA and uses Rest, then wakes up thanks to Lum, confirming the Curse set. I use AA and SToss, Swampert uses Curse. Another AA and it is down. Another somewhat scary battle which cost me yet one more Revive.

As for the wild Pokémon, I met 4 Aggron along the way. Two were at level 50+, so I used Fluffy Tails to escape from them. The third was at level 49. I decided to go for FT, got a Crit and an OHKO! The final one was at level 45, it was OHKO’d by a regular FT. Every other wild Pokémon was OHKO’d by FT.

This was one of the toughest rounds so far when it comes to trainers. At least the wild Pokémon were easy.

Round 18:

I’m not sure what the official name of the theme for this round is, but I’m going to call it Dragon-types and dragon-like Pokémon. Starmie felt like a good choice here. The damage calcs further confirmed that. Aerodactyl can outrun Starmie if it rolls high enough Speed, but it can only 3HKO with EQ at best, and it is OHKO’d by Surf. Gyarados can survive a TBolt at the very highest roll, but it only has a minimal chance to 2HKO back with EQ. Charizard might survive a Surf if it rolls high enough level/stats, but it can’t do much back since Starmie resists all of its moves. Kingdra is a bit of a problem though, Starmie does not always have a guaranteed 2HKO on it. But it is walled hard by Blissey. Starmie has a guaranteed OHKO on everything else. I went with Starmie/Slaking/Blissey. Same team as I used in round 12 & 15. Starmie in the lead.

On floor 1, the exit was guarded by a trainer… which I managed to avoid! On floor 5, the exit was surrounded by several trainers. But I got past without having to fight any of them here as well. The same thing almost happened on floor 6, I accidentally got into battle against one of the trainers here, but I managed to avoid the others.

Floor 7 had one of the most unexpected layouts I have seen in the Pyramid. It felt like every single part of the maze consisted of the completely empty piece:

I didn’t explore the entire floor so I can’t say how it looked for certain, but I didn’t see a single wall anywhere. Because of the lack of walls, I got into battle with several trainers, there was nothing stopping them from seeing me. All of them were easy though.

I saw this layout a few more times in later rounds as well (always on floor 7). It is simple yet very annoying. It is easy to lose track of where you are compared to where the exit should be, and you are at high risk of getting ambushed by trainers.

Along the way, don’t remember the floor, I met a trainer with a Scizor which KO’d Starmie, forcing me to use a Revive. And during this round, I finally found a Leftovers! I instantly gave it to Blissey, that will be its hold item from now on. The only negative is that this means I will have space for one item less in my bag. But that’s okay. I got rid of my last two Fluffy Tails along the way to have space for the Leftovers instead.

On the whole, this round was easy. Starmie could OHKO all wild Pokémon but Kingdra, which Blissey took care of… except for the two I fluffily tailed away.

Round 19:

The theme here is Pokémon that evolve from Fire/Water/Thunder stones. Slaking felt like a good choice here, so I ran some damage calcs which showed that it can easily OHKO everything, even Arcanine with Intimidate. The wild Ninetales have Protect but they are walled by Blissey or can be beaten by Starmie. The wild Jolteon and Starmie have a chance to outrun Slaking if they roll high enough Speed, but they can’t do much to threaten it. The wild Starmie are walled by Blissey as well. I entered with Slaking/Starmie/Blissey, same as last round but with Slaking in the lead. From this round and on, Blissey will always have Leftovers as its hold item instead of Lum Berry.

Some notable things from this round. On floor 3, I found myself surrounded by trainers upon arriving. I had to fight 2 of them… and it was a tough battle. They had Slaking and Gyarados, it was an insane battle. I misplayed a bit and got outperformed, but I still won in the end. Didn’t write down any more details from the battle, unfortunately. I had to use some Revives and Hyper Potions afterwards.

On floor 4, the exit was surrounded by trainers. This time, I could fight them in single battles, so I picked the two that seemed the easiest and they were thankfully easy to beat. On floor 5, the exit was surrounded by trainers again. But I managed to avoid all of them this time.

On floor 6, I found the exit quite quickly, didn’t have to fight any trainers along the way. On floor 7, I was surrounded by trainers upon entry once more! But here, I could choose to fight them in Single battles again, thankfully. I was only planning to battle 2, but I accidentally got to fight a third as well. They were all easy.

This was an okay round on the whole. I had one tough battle which cost me some resources, otherwise no problems. All wild Pokémon were easy, some Jolteon were faster than Slaking but they caused no real issues. Some Ninetales used Protect but I beat them with Blissey and Starmie.

Round 20:

The theme here is Normal-types. More like great and powerful Normal-types with Hyper Beams that will seriously hurt. And another Gold Brandon fight at the end. I ran damage calcs with Slaking, Heracross and Salamence. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but in the end, it felt like Slaking was the best choice for this round as well.

It can always OHKO Kangaskhan, Swellow, Ursaring, Porygon2 and Fearow with Return. Fearow has Protect though, something I missed at first as I didn’t look super carefully at the sets for the wild Pokémon. Along the way, I faced several Fearow, one of them used Return but I beat it anyway. The wild Ursaring also have not only Protect, but also Focus Punch! I didn’t learn that until round 40 though. I really should have looked closer at their sets. The bears were no problems this round at least.

Tauros is annoying with Intimidate, but Hyper Beam always OHKO’s at level 51 or lower and had a chance for level 52-53. Tauros can only 2HKO back at best with its own Hyper Beam. Snorlax is always OHKO’d by Hyper Beam, Return also has a big chance to OHKO for level 52 and below. When I faced wild Snorlax, I used Return if they were below level 50, otherwise Hyper Beam.

Then there’s the opposing Slaking. I never have a guaranteed OHKO with Hyper Beam, just a chance. Return will always 2HKO though. But they can’t OHKO back, and since they also have Truant, it isn’t that bad. Against the wild Slaking, I went for Hyper Beam for those at level 51 and below, Return for those at level 52+.

I went with Slaking/Starmie/Blissey, same team as last round. I realize now that this team doesn’t have a Normal resist, but it worked fine anyway.

As for the round, I got through floor 1-2 without a single trainer battle. On floor 3, the exit was surrounded by trainers. I could pick 2 and fight them in single battles though, so I did that. I picked the two that seemed the easiest and they caused no problems. On floor 5, I got into an instant Multi battle ambush, but it was easy. On floor 6, there were trainers around the exit, but I could avoid all of them.

Guess what happened on floor 7? There were trainers around the exit again! I could face them in single battles, so I picked two of them. Unfortunately, they were tough. The first one had an EndRev Medicham which used Fake Out on Slaking, I switched to Starmie but did not KO with Surf. Instead, I activated the Medicham’s Salac Berry! Thankfully Starmie survived a Psychic with exactly 1 HP left, giving me the win. But it was scary. The second one had a Gyarados which tanked a Thunderbolt and KO’d Starmie. But I could KO it with Slaking afterwards. And since I was at the final exit, there were no more regular trainer battles.

Arriving at the top, I had to face Brandon again. I healed the team and put Starmie in the lead. Not going to describe the battle in full detail this time, the short summary is that Starmie 2HKO’d Articuno, Blissey then beat Zapdos and Moltres. An easy battle, just like last time.

And so, I have cleared all 20 rounds of the Pyramid! How much further will I be able to go? I guess we’ll see.
Round 21:

Equals round 1 since it loops back to the start after 20 rounds. Which means that the theme here is Paralysis. It also has weaker Pokémon than in the previous rounds since their levels are the same as in round 1, which means that now I’ll be facing level 30 Plusle/Minun and friends.

Going with Salamence/Starmie/Blissey here, same team as for round 11. Salamence has EQ against the Electric-types and Aerial Ace against Vileplume/Breloom. Not bothering with damage calcs this time, I’m quite sure Salamence can just OHKO everything.

From now on, I won’t write down as many details for the rounds, will mostly focus on tough battles and other things that I feel are worth noting.

This round was very uneventful on the whole. Salamence murdered all the wild Pokémon and the trainer battles were no problems. The only notable thing is that it felt like I found more items compared to the latest rounds. But I’m not sure, maybe I just got luckier with finding items this time around.

Round 22:

Poison (the status, not the type) is the theme here. Starmie feels like a good choice as it auto-wins against everything except Ludicolo, which shouldn’t be too problematic as it can be 2HKO’d by Psychic and is walled by Blissey. I entered with Starmie/Slaking/Blissey.

On floor 2, Starmie got defeated by a trainer’s Shiftry, costing me a Max Revive. On floor 7, the exit was blocked by trainers and I had to fight two of them. The first one had an Ursaring which beat Starmie, I defeated it with Slaking. Since I only had one trainer left before I was done with the round, I decided to not revive Starmie. I battled the second trainer, who had an Arcanine which Slaking nuked easily. Then I could just go to the exit.

Another easy round on the whole. Starmie could OHKO all wild Pokémon except for a few Ludicolo which survived, but they couldn’t do anything back. I also picked up a second Leftovers, though I’ll stick with Lum Berry as the hold item for my special attackers.

Round 23:

The theme here is Burn. Lots of Fire-types… as well as Medicham, Weezing and Dusclops. Starmie/Slaking/Blissey again. Starmie should be able to safely OHKO everything except Medicham, which can’t really hurt Starmie, and Dusclops, which I might use Blissey for.

On floor 3, the exit was literally just 4 steps away from the entrance. No kidding. Other than that, nothing notable happened. Starmie OHKO’d all wild Pokémon except a few Dusclops which were 2HKO’d as well as one I beat with Blissey.

Round 24:

The theme here is PP stalling. Cool and unique theme, but annoying to face. Thankfully I have a lot of Ethers and Leppa Berries. Houndoom felt like a good Pokémon against the wild Pokémon here. It does not have a guaranteed OHKO on Dunsparce, but it should be able to OHKO everything else save for Ninetales, which in return can’t touch Houndoom so I can just roar it away. I entered with Houndoom/Salamence/Blissey.

I had two notable trainer battles during this round. The first one was against a Wailord. I had to switch-stall it a little to prevent it from using Fissure against Houndoom/Blissey and Ice Beam against Salamence. I gambled a little and let Blissey use Toxic while it still had PP left for Fissure, but I got lucky hit with Toxic while it missed with Fissure.

The second was against a Regirock. It beat both Houndoom and Salamence, I was afraid that it would beat Blissey as well but fortunately, Brick Break didn’t do as much damage as I had feared. Blissey also survived a Crit Brick Break with exactly 3 HP left! I won, but it was tough and it cost me some Revives and potions. This battle also taught me that you can’t use a Sacred Ash during battles, which is good to know.

I got through, but this round was rather tough. I’m starting to think that Houndoom/Salamence/Blissey might not be all that great for trainer battles in the Pyramid, sadly. I suppose I can use another team, but I found Houndoom to be really great against the wild Pokémon in this and some other rounds. Here, Houndoom OHKO’d all the wild Pokémon except a few Dunsparce that survived and some Ninetales that were roared away.

Round 25:

The theme here is Pokémon with Levitate. And Gold Brandon awaits at the end of the round as well. I went with Slaking/Starmie/Blissey. Slaking can OHKO all the wild Pokémon (except Weezing which has a very small chance to live a Return if it rolls absolute max level/stats). Chimecho and Weezing also has Protect. Chimecho can’t really do much as it is walled by Blissey, though Weezing can be problematic if it uses Selfdestruct. It can’t OHKO Slaking, but it can deal serious damage.

On the whole, nothing notable happened this round. The few wild Weezing I faced did not use Selfdestruct. Slaking and Blissey took care of all wild Pokémon and all trainers were easy to beat, Brandon included.

Round 26:

The theme here is trapping Abilities (Arena Trap and Shadow Tag). As mentioned earlier, the only (or at least the main) reason I trained my Houndoom was for this round. It can outrun and OHKO all of the wild Pokémon. Or so I thought. As mentioned earlier, the wild Dugtrio can actually outrun and OHKO Houndoom if they roll high enough Speed and Attack. However, the odds of that happening feels quite small. I entered with Houndoom/Salamence/Blissey.

In this round, I had a somewhat scary battle against a Kingdra. It could have swept me, but I managed to beat it. It was the ChestoRest set with Double-Edge, Ice Beam and Dragon Dance. It danced twice which was fortunately not enough to beat Blissey, Double-Edge didn’t do enough damage. I managed to force it to use Rest repeatedly after it blew its Chesto Berry, then I switched to Salamence on a correctly predicted Rest and 2HKO’d with Earthquake.

Another battle was against a Medicham with Dynamic and Elemental Punches. It was annoying since it hit Salamence both times I switched in on a DynamicPunch. But I stalled it out of PP for DynamicPunch, then Blissey could beat it without issues.

Apart from the Kingdra battle, this was another easy round. Houndoom took care of all the wild Pokémon. Regarding Wynaut and Wobbuffet, how I handled them depended on my current light radius. If I felt that I wanted to expand it, I defeated them. If not, I roared them away.

Round 27:

The theme here is Ice-types. Last time I played through this (round 7), I used Jojo the Lapras as my lead and special attacker. However, I thought there might be other alternatives. Lapras worked for round 7, but it does not feel so great for round 27 since the trainers here are much stronger.

Instead, I went with the standard Slaking/Starmie/Blissey. Slaking could OHKO most wild Pokémon with Return (or Shadow Ball for Jynx). The exceptions are Cloyster, Walrein and Lapras. There’s still a chance to OHKO them with Return, though Hyper Beam takes care of them as well. The wild Glalie and Cloyster have Protect, but they are walled by Blissey. Or Starmie can just OHKO the Cloyster with TBolt.

This was a simple round; I had no problems against any of the trainers or the wild Pokémon. It also feels like I found a lot of useful items without having to use that many. The only item I had to use was an Ether in order to restore PP for Slaking’s Return.

Round 28:

The theme here is self-destruction moves, the wild Pokémon are willing to risk total disaster. High risk, high return. Or something. Anyway, the wild Pokémon have Selfdestruct/Explosion, or Destiny Bond, which the wild Gengar have even if Gengar can learn Explosion. Those moves are powerful and being hit by several of them does not feel very tempting. I ran some damage calcs with Slaking and Salamence, Slaking seemed to be the better alternative. It can OHKO everything except Forretress. Electrode can also outrun Slaking if it rolls high enough Speed, but it can’t hurt Slaking much.

I decided to go with Gengar as the backup here since it is immune to SD/Explosion, it can also beat Forretress with Fire Punch. It doesn’t like being hit by Rock Slide but that shouldn’t be too much of an issue (and during the run, Gengar never got hit by Rock Slide). The wild Shiftry and Golem have Protect, but Gengar beats them with ease. I entered with Slaking/Gengar/Blissey.

It had been a while since I last used Gengar, so I hadn’t used PP Ups on its moves. I did that now, but only for TBolt and the punches, not for Hypnosis. There’s no point in wasting PP Ups on a move I never use and that I might change for something else.

On the whole, this was another easy round. Perhaps not quite the breeze that the last round was, but nothing really notable happened either.

Round 29:

Psychic-types. Houndoom would probably be good here, but since it isn’t that great against trainers, I have decided to only use it when I need to. Instead, I ran damage calcs with Slaking. To my great joy, I found that it OHKO’s everything, even Wobbuffet. I went with the standard Slaking/Starmie/Blissey.

This round went incredibly well. Slaking OHKO’d all wild Pokémon, I found several useful items without having to use any. Even better, completing this round went very quickly! It feels like I found the exit very quickly and easily on most floors, I did not get to face many trainers, and as for the few I did face, Slaking OHKO’d their Pokémon with ease. In addition to that, I only needed Slaking for every single battle, never had to use Starmie or Blissey a single time. Overall, I think this was the best round so far.

Round 30:

Rock-types. Featuring Steelix for some reason, perhaps it is in the mix here because it evolves from a Rock-type. And another Brandon rematch at the end of the round. Starmie feels like a good candidate here with STAB Surf. I ran some damage calcs and the results looked good.

Omastar has a very small chance to live a Thunderbolt if it rolls absolute max level/stats, but it will generally fall. Shuckle may survive if it rolls high enough level/stats, but it is always 2HKO’d at worst and it can’t really do much back. Toxic is annoying, but I have Blissey and Lum Berries for that.

Cradily is the worst opponent for Starmie since it generally has a big chance to survive an Ice Beam and can deal heavy damage to Starmie with Giga Drain, potentially also recovering enough to the point that it isn’t 2HKO’d. Blissey should be able to take care of the wild Cradily though. It doesn’t mind Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb won’t do much either.
Everything else is safely OHKO’d by Surf. I entered with Starmie/Slaking/Blissey once more, Starmie in the lead.

On floor 2, I was surrounded by trainers upon entry. I thought I would have to fight 2 of them in a Multi battle, but to my own surprise, I managed to run past them! Also then I found the exit almost immediately afterwards. It felt great.

I had one annoying battle against a Regice, the ChestoReSTalk set. Blissey walled it, but it froze Blissey twice, forcing me to use 2 Lum Berries since Blissey wouldn’t thaw by itself. It also Paralyzed Blissey once, but I used Aromatherapy to take care of that. This battle also taught me that if you use Sleep Talk and the game selects a move that is out of PP, it will fail. According to Bulbapedia, this seems to be exclusive to Gen 3. Really weird, I didn’t know that.

Overall, there were no real problems to speak of during this round. Starmie took care of most wild Pokémon. I met a total of 3 Cradily during the round. Starmie OHKO’d the first one with Ice Beam, the second one survived with 1 HP left but got Frozen, so I could KO it on the next turn. I used Blissey against the third, it was annoying since it kept spamming Sludge Bomb and managed to poison Blissey twice! But it was an easy win. The trainers caused no problems, nor did Brandon.

30 rounds and 210 floors cleared! But I am not done yet…
Round 31:

Fighting-types. Salamence/Starmie/Blissey worked last time, so I’m going with them again.

On floor 2, the exit was 3 steps away from the entrance! I immediately saw it within my light radius as I entered. Crazy.

There were some notable trainer battles during this round. One was against a QC Whiscash with Fissure and Ice Beam. I had to switch-stall a bit. Fortunately, it missed with Fissure against Blissey while I hit it with Toxic.

Second, I had an extremely scary multi battle against a Lapras and Machamp. The Machamp was no problems, but the Lapras beat both Starmie and Salamence with Thunder and Blizzard, leaving me with only Blissey left. I managed to beat it, but it was very scary. It also got a Crit on Blissey with a Rain-boosted Hydro Pump, it did over half (Blissey was at full HP, thankfully). I had to use a Hyper Potion to heal it, couldn’t risk another Crit if I went for Softboiled. I beat this Lapras, but it really scared me. After the battle, I had to use a Sacred Ash for the first time during the streak in order to revive Salamence and Starmie.

That battle was on floor 4, right before the exit. Upon arriving on floor 5, I got ambushed into another multi battle, featuring Ludicolo and another Lapras! It wasn’t as bad as the previous battle though. The Ludicolo was easy, but the Lapras turned out to be an OHKO set! It beat Salamence with Sheer Cold, but it missed on the next turn, allowing Starmie and Blissey to defeat it.

Feels like Lapras was my unlucky Pokémon for this round. Maybe Jojo is angry because I didn’t use her for round 27, to the point that she sent her brethren to try to beat me?

The wild Pokémon were no issues though, Salamence beat them all with ease. But this was one of the most dramatic rounds in a while, it also cost me some items. Fortunately, I had over 40 Hyper Potions and at least 15 Revives left when I was done, so no real issues.

Clearing this round also means I have cleared 217 floors, putting me on the number #1 spot on the leaderboards for Pyramid Level 50! Who’s going to stop me now?

Round 32:

Weather. Starmie/Slaking/Blissey worked last time, so I’m going with them again.

I had one trainer battle against a Venusaur which beat both Slaking and Blissey. Slaking missed with Hyper Beam, it would have OHKO’d otherwise. I sent in Blissey, but it was about to get beaten as well so I used a Revive on Slaking and RK’d the Venusaur with Return (I had already hit it with a SToss from Blissey). Then I had to use another Revive on Blissey afterwards.

Another trainer had a Tentacruel which I thought I could beat, so I let Starmie use Psychic on it… only for the Tentacruel to survive and KO back with Mirror Coat. I didn’t look up the set since I was lazy/impatient and Bulbapedia was slow, that was a very bad idea. I won, but it cost me another Revive.

Apart from that, this was an easy round. No problems against the wild Pokémon and no scary trainer battles either, just two that cost me some resources. I found some new items along the way, but I think I still spent more than I found. Though it doesn’t really matter since I have a lot of good items left.

Round 33:

Bug-types. Went with Salamence/Gengar/Blissey last time and decided to go with them again, hoping that the wild Armaldo will still be kind to me.

Compared to the drama of the previous two rounds, this round went extremely well. All wild Pokémon and trainers were easy. I found a lot of great items, but I think I only had to use one item along the run. I also found the exit quite quickly on a lot of the floors. So that was great.

Round 34:

Dark-types. Heracross/Starmie/Blissey just like last time.

During this round, I faced one trainer who had a Dragon Dance Latios. It was a bit scary, but Blissey managed to hit it with Toxic while it only did around 50% with EQ even after 4 dances. I also found a second Choice Band during this round. I’m going to keep it in my bag so that I always have the same 10 items with me from now on.

Other than that, nothing special happened. It was another simple and easy round.

Round 35:

Water types feat. Brandon at the end. Slaking/Starmie/Blissey.

This round was absolutely no problems whatsoever. I had an easy time against all the wild Pokémon, the trainers and Brandon. The only somewhat notable thing that happened was that Brandon’s Moltres got a Crit with Fire Blast against my Blissey when it was at around 50%, it lived with 7 HP left! Other than that, nothing. I found a lot of great items but I didn’t have to use a single one, increasing the amount in my bag a fair bit.

Round 36:

Ghost-types. I thought about using Slaking over Houndoom this time, Shadow Ball should allow it to OHKO everything. But the wild Duskull and Shedinja have Protect, which is annoying. Why did they have to give Protect to Shedinja out of all Pokémon? It is a great decision but also annoying at the same time. In the end, I decided to go with Houndoom anyway, along with Salamence and Blissey just like last time.

One very notable thing that happened here was that on floor 5, 6 and 7, I found the exit almost immediately. It was less than 5 steps away on floor 5, maybe 10-15 on floor 6 and 7. I met no trainers or wild Pokémon on floor 5 or 6, and I met maybe one wild Pokémon on floor 7. It was crazy. But I really approve of that, fast rounds are always appreciated!

Nothing else to speak of happened here. All trainers and wild Pokémon were easy. This was an easy and very quick round overall, which is neat.

Round 37:

Steel-types. Houndoom/Salamence/Blissey, just like last time and last round.

Houndoom once got defeated by a trainer’s Registeel which used Superpower. I guess I should have scouted with Protect as it would have been an easy win with Salamence, but I was afraid of it having Curse/Amnesia.

Otherwise, an easy round. Not quite the breeze as last round, but still, no real problems to speak of either. Houndoom nuked all the wild Pokémon, and even better, I didn’t encounter a single Aggron or Metagross!

Round 38:

Dragon-types and dragon-like Pokémon. Starmie did a great job last time, so I’m going with it again, along with Slaking and Blissey of course.

This was another simple round, nothing notable happened. It went pretty fast too; it only took me a little over 20 minutes to go through all 7 floors.

Round 39:

Pokémon that evolve from Fire/Water/Thunder stones. I think I’m going to call them Elemental Evolutions from now on, it sounds much cooler. I entered with Slaking/Starmie/Blissey again.

I had an extremely scary battle on floor 6. As I approached the exit, I accidentally got ambushed into a multi battle against a Masquerain and Scizor. I saw that there were trainers close to the exit, I should have been more careful. I took down the Masquerain with ease, but the Scizor beat Starmie with Silver Wind and got an all-stats boost! I sent out Blissey and used Seismic Toss while the Scizor used Swords Dance. Next turn, Slaking used Return (I had used that against the Masquerain), Scizor lived and used Steel Wing on Blissey which lived with a sliver of HP left! Blissey then KO’d with SToss. That was extremely scary. I guess I should have focused on taking out the Scizor before the Masquerain, but I won anyway, thankfully. Afterwards, I had to use a Revive and 2 Hyper Potions.

Otherwise, an easy round. The other trainers and the wild Pokémon were no problems, but one notable thing that happened was that a wild Starmie at level 52 outran Slaking! This means it must have had a +Speed Nature and a Speed IV of 28 or higher. So that’s cool.

Round 40:

The final round, second time around! Great and powerful Normal-types with Hyper Beam… and Brandon again. Slaking/Starmie/Blissey just like last time.

As mentioned in round 20, I learned now that the wild Ursaring have both Protect and Focus Punch. One of the Ursaring I met here used Protect followed by Focus Punch. But Slaking survived and could KO with Return on the third turn.

Apart from that, this was another easy round on the whole. No problems against the wild Pokémon, trainers or Brandon. I had to use Hyper Beam with Slaking a lot during this round, but fortunately, it never missed.

I have cleared 40 rounds and 280 floors! Still not done quite yet.

Round 41:

Back to the beginning with weak wild Pokémon and Paralysis. Hello level 30 Plusle/Minun and friends, we meet again! Salamence/Starmie/Blissey like last time.

This was another easy round, no tough battles or anything else to speak of. I guess the most notable thing was that I actually met a Plusle at level 30 here!

Round 42:

Poison. Starmie/Slaking/Blissey.

I had one annoying battle against a trainer’s Crobat. I knew that it would outspeed and OHKO Starmie with Shadow Ball, so I switched to Blissey. But it managed to hurt quite a lot and Poison/Confuse Blissey, it eventually got to so low HP that I switched to Slaking. I used Return, but it missed because of the Crobat’s Brightpowder. I had to use a Hyper Potion on Slaking, the next Return hit and scored the KO. Afterwards, I had to use even more Hyper Potions on Slaking and Blissey.

Otherwise not much. This round was easy, but it felt like I had to use more items than I found. The wild Ludicolo were also a bit annoying as Starmie could rarely OHKO them, but they couldn’t really do much back either.

Round 43:

Burn baby, burn! Final round I did before quitting. Starmie/Slaking/Blissey again.

Two notable trainer battles here. The first was against a trainer with a Nidoqueen. It had a Focus Band, which allowed it to survive Starmie’s Surf twice in a row, letting it KO back with Sludge Bomb. It was annoying because it cost me a Revive. The second was against a Ludicolo. Starmie used Psychic and got a Sp.def drop twice in a row! Sometimes, the hax is on my side.

Nothing else worth noting. This was another simple round.
After completing 43 rounds in a row, I have the following items in my bag:

Hyper Potion x60
Ether x19
Sacred Ash x5
Leppa Berry x12
Max Revive x7
Lum Berry x59
Revive x20
Full Restore x7
Leftovers x2
Choice Band x3

I’m not sure if these are the best items you can have, but I think they are really good, and they worked for me. From the items that can be found in the Pyramid, other good alternatives could be Max Elixirs or Fluffy Tails. Maybe also Shell Bell an alternative hold item, there are also hax items like Scope Lens, Brightpowder, King’s Rock and Focus Band, but I think CB/Lum/Leftovers are better. In addition, I guess I don’t really need to have 3 Choice Bands and 2 Leftovers if I’m only going to use one during each round. If I were to throw away the others, it would free up two more spaces in the bag when I’m exploring. But if I were to do that, I must toss two items at the end of the round due to the ten-item limit, which would be annoying.

Anyway, with all of these items in my bag, it feels like it is practically impossible for me to lose this streak. It might just go on forever. I think the only things I can possibly lose against are extreme hax, really bad misplay, or a horribly bad matchup. But even if I were to get in a really bad situation, I could potentially outstall the opponent with Revives and Potions!

With this, I have completed 4 of my notable ongoing streaks in Emerald and continued on the fifth one. My goal was to complete all of my ongoing streaks, but this one will have to stay ongoing for a while longer, if not forever. I have decided to return to it later and clear some more rounds, but right now, I need a break. I reached #1 for this format on the leaderboards, which feels like it is enough for the moment. Though I don’t have the overall highest streak for the Pyramid since iSoNkei has a higher streak on Open Level.

I have seen other people meet wild shiny Pokémon the Pyramid, but that did fortunately not happen to me. I have met 4 shinies on Emerald, but all of them have been regular wild Pokémon which I were able to catch.

In the end, the Pyramid was fun but very exhausting. I played through those 33 rounds pretty quickly, it took me around 2 weeks in total. I played 1-4 rounds a day, how many depended on how much free time I had and what I felt like doing. Though if we include the break I had between rounds 10 and 11, it took me 16 years to get this streak. Which is a very long time.

I have seen some people say that the Pyramid is one of the easier facilities, and I agree. All battles here are either 3vs1 for wild Pokémon/regular trainers or 3vs2 for the multi battles, which means that you always have an advantage over the opponent. You can also stack up a ton of great items like Potions and Revives which makes it even easier, not to mention the fact that you can actually use those items during battle! Plus Blissey, which is basically a portable healing machine that comes with the bonus of beating any special attacker. Basically, the Pyramid is easy as long as you know what you are doing. Yet it is still one of my two favorite facilities. The same thing can be said about the Dome, it is another easy facility and it is my other favorite from Emerald. But even if they are easy, I still think they are the most fun to play out of the Emerald facilities.

Also, unnecessary information that I just wanted to include somewhere. As I have been playing Emerald for the past weeks, I decided to check the battery time for my DS. I had to charge it again recently, and when comparing the time to the last time I had to charge it, I learned that the battery lasts for around 19:40! That is crazy. I guess it is longer than usual since I am playing a GBA game, but still. My Switch, laptop or either of my 3DS systems don’t have anywhere near that capacity for their batteries. I have had this DS for almost 16 years now (I bought it in November 06 IIRC) and it still works just fine with an amazing battery time. I think the battery for my second DS is great as well, guess I’ll find out once I go back to using it later on.
So that’s my journey with Level 50 at the Pyramid… for now. I have an ongoing streak for Open Level at the Pyramid as well, and I’m planning to go back to it eventually… but not right now. I really need a break from the Pyramid. Instead, I’m going to move on to the next facility, which will be the Pike! I’ll report back once I have accomplished what I am planning to do there.

Last edited:
If I'm here it can only mean one thing: I have progress in the Battle Factory to report! 87 wins in the Battle Factory Singles! The way I have been playing has been to write down all information that I get, so there is a picture of my notes to accompany each round that I faced.

I must admit, I'm excited for people to see my notebook and NOT think I'm crazy person. My boss and coworkers sometimes get glances of my Factory notes in my work notebook, and god only knows what they must think. My system is that I write each trainer's preferred type (or NoClear in most instances) and their Battle Style Number. This number corresponds to what type of moves they use (High Risk High Reward, Total Preparation, Slow and Steady, etc). If an abbreviation is in parentheses next to a pokemon, it's that pokemon's ability. If I underline the pokemon, it means I had a tough time with it. Things in quotes are moves I saw that were inconclusive to determine the exact set. I write the items of every pokemon, just as a good reminder. Off to the right side of the line is where I write down the individual Battle Style Numbers of the enemy team. And if there's a green dot, it means I have the battle replay to accompany the battle.

So I usually don't have any notes for these rounds since I can usually breeze through them while watching TV or while it's slow at work. Taking notes is really for the later rounds where you just need to know what items and moves are at play.

This write up and run starts on 6/6, a slow day at my job at a bank, after losing on Round 3 Open Level to a Flying team (containing Salamence and Gyarados). Frustrated, I blazed through Open Level rounds 1, 2 and 3, taking a single note that basically reads: "(Open Level Round 2) Enemy AI considered Blastoise2's Mirror Coat to be a Psychic move. This is because the enemy trainer sent in Blastoise2 second against my Heracross2, when they had an Espeon2 (with Psychic) in the back." This is just an important little nugget of knowledge that might help in determining sets of the pokemon, in any battle facility.
20220712_193945~2.jpg
20220712_192632~2.jpg

I hightlighted all of the Rounds from this run. As you can see, I failed right away in Level 50 Round 5 after winning Open Level Round 5. I had a very underwhelming Open Level starting draft, which just barely brought down Latias in the first battle. Latias5 should had ended me too; It came down to a 1v1 between +2 Latias5 vs my Cradily1, and orange HP Lati opted to attack my Cradily1 instead of Recovering.

Eventually, I swap all of my pokemon away for upgrades, and breeze through the rest of the round.
20220712_192706~2.jpg

I can safely conclude that Zapdos and Volt Absorb Lanturn4 make a great core! Regice gave me some trouble and but Lanturn got a timely crit Thunderbolt which helped break Regice down. I swapped Whiscash for an Explosion Forretress, but didn't end up using him. Noland2's Salamence just DD'ed twice before going down, leaving Zapdos and Lanturn to handle the final two Water types.
20220712_192845.jpg

So now I'm in my Pokemon-only notebook and Round 7 is in blue ink. Really solid draft of Pokemon despite the big Ground weakness. Raikou2 was an MVP; he set up Reflect most battles, only missed one Thunder and landed numerous outside of rain.

I had churned through Ground type answers for a few battles, taking Meganium3 and Feraligatr2. So I was really confident in the team when I traded again, this time Feraligatr2 for a Keen Eye Skarmory3. The very next battle was a Rhydon lead against Raikou2. Skarmory coming in, landing Toxic (on a Crush Claw defense drop) and being in the air during Horn Drills were vital. That Skarmory3 went from eking out the win on Rhydon, to setting up +6 after stalling Kingdra's Hydro Pumps, to sweeping final Pokemon Salamence.

No other battle was very threatening at all. Tyranitar with 31IV's behind a Reflect against 3IV Pokemon was fun. He even got the Quick Claw some battles.
20220712_193208.jpg

This was probably the most difficult round, despite having a decent draft. Skarmory had Random IV's but had perfect speed and special defense. After the first battle I decided to take a special wall, Regice, to compliment my physical wall.

The third battle started with Starmie missing Hydro Pump and Gardevoir hitting Thunderbolt. Regice4 switched in from there and barely beat Garde. I remember it coming down to Skarmory vs. Ursaring, and thinking I had to avoid a Hyper Beam crit or I would lose.

The next battle was worse. Misdreavus2 caused a little trouble, paralyzing Starmie and forcing me to go into Skarmory. Skarmory3 also got paralyzed by the time it brought down Misdreavus. Exploud was up next, and it took Regice switching in to KO it. Last up was the mighty Suicune. Regice4 prompted Calm Mind from Suicune as I desperately switched into Skarmory. Suicune outsped and used Calm Mind again while Skarmory missed Toxic. Suicune used Surf, Skarmory lived and landed Toxic, but Suicune had Lum berry. So Skarm goes down and Starmie2 comes out. Starmie2 hit Thunder for decent damage and Suicune used Icy Wind. Suicune got another Calm Mind and Starmie landed another Thunder. Suicune's HP was finally getting low, but I had to switch to reset my speed. I went Regice on yet another Calm Mind and it tanked the boosted Surf and used Thunder Wave. Afterwards, Regice used Hail and Suicune finally took it down. By the time I sent in my Starmie2, Suicune had fallen to Hail damage. I saved this replay because I was so certain it was over a couple of times during the battle. And of course, the very next battle was even crazier, so I have that replay here:

I was hanging on for dear life in this battle.

The next opponent had a stacked team, but my Starmie lead just reset Tyranitar's sand and then went to work on the team. This is also where I picked up Blissey and cruised through the next battle on its back.

The final battle should have been way easier. I had just picked up a Raikou3 as the new lead against the final Water type opponent, and I zapped Wailord with it. Tentacruel was out next and I didn't want to fall for Mirror Coat nonsense, so I used Quick Atttack while Tentacruel used Surf. I thought, "well Blissey behind a Substitute sets up all over the two Surf Tentacruels", and switched Serene Grace Blissey directly in on a Toxic. Total lapse in judgment. Blissey fell to poison, Raikou finished the Tentacruel, and Milotic was last. I once again couldn't risk Mirror Coat nonsense, so I switched Skarmory in on Surf (thank Christ for no crit). Skarmory3, with its perfect speed, outsped Milotic (whereas with 3IV's it wouldn't have) and landed the Toxic just as Milotic went for Safeguard. Nice. Milotic just Mirror Coated and Skarmory got some damage in before Raikou cleaned up. Way closer than it should have been.
20220712_193310.jpg

The dreaded Round 9. My starting draft was pretty meager and I opted for the 31IV, inaccurate Fire Blast lead. I can't complain because Arcanine2 landed all of the necessary Fire Blasts until I swapped him. Water Absorb "Fastpras" impressed me this round.

Third battle was against Grass types and Arcanine OHKO'd Venusaur turn one. Great. But then Dugtrio came out and hit Arcanine with an Earthquake that flinched. Next move KO'd and I sent out Lapras. Lapras thankfully didn't flinch from Kings Rock-Slide and KO'd Dugtrio. Last out was Ludicolo, which had to know a weather move. It used Rain Dance as Steelix switched in. Ludicolo outsped and used Double Team and Steelix3 used Explosion ...which landed for an OHKO! I needed that bad.

Later, Arcanine2 Crunched down a Latias, who joins the team. The rest of the round is pretty smooth sailing and I even saved the Noland Battle:

20220712_193344.jpg

This was the most cut and dry round I had. My starting team was fantastic and my opponents didn't throw me anything I couldn't handle. Tyranitar10 used Dragon Dances and Rest until it could sweep the pokemon in front of me. Dusclops only came out on a Machamp, but Swampert made a few appearances.
20220712_193408.jpg

This round threw me some curve balls. I really couldn't complain with my starting draft. I remember thinking for 30 minutes about if I should put Lanturn or Flygon first. My decision was affirmed by the first pokemon, Regirock, going down to a crit EQ from my Flygon. Porygon as the second Pokemon should have given me lots of problems depending on the set, but it Thunder Waved Flygon twice, while Flygon whittled it down with Earthquake...

The second battle started with my Flygon vs. a Regice. I had to rely on (Immunity) Snorlax5 to take out Regice. But I started having doubts when I saw Rest. Snorlax came out on top with a sliver of HP to spare. The rest of the team went down fine, but I had serious doubts that Lanturn or Flygon could have handled Regice1 if Snorlax5 would have fallen.

A couple of battles later turned into a hairy situation, too. My Flygon vs. their Golem. Immediately, Golem Quick Claw Exploded. Okay... So I sent out Lanturn2 and they sent out Shiftry. As long as it wasn't Shiftry2 with Leech Seed, I could win. But Shiftry went for Double Team as Snorlax5 switched in. Snorlax got the Quick Claw, landed Brick Break AND Shiftry missed its Leech Seed. Shiftry2 probably went for Rest or Leech Seed, but I'll never know because Snorlax got a DOUBLE Quick Claw Brick Break off, which landed through the +1 evasion, to finish off Shiftry2. Snorlax got a hit off before falling to +2 Ursaring Hyper Beam, and Lanturn2 cleaned up on the recharge turn. Lax was wildly lucky exactly when I needed it, because I projected Shiftry2 to crush me as soon as I saw Leech Seed. I saved this replay.

And then the last battle was so crazy that I had to save this replay instead. Obviously, Slowbro was on performance enhancing drugs, but I hadn't thrown in the towel until I saw Meganium out second. I had just confronted the massive threat in Leech Seed, and Meganium2 had Substitute and Double Team to prevent Snorlax from working another miracle. The aide told me the Battle Style was "slow and steady" and the Slowbro displayed one slow and steady move, Attract. So when I saw Meganium I was convinced it was the most threatening set, set 2, because that's the only Meganium set that has two "slow and steady" moves to trigger the saying. Thank god it happened to be the unlikelier scenario, this Meganium being the single set that Lanturn2 could beat, plus a final Pokemon from the smallish pool of Pokemon having two or more slow and steady moves in their moveset.

20220712_193436.jpg

I actually streamed this round on 6/26, the day before Round 13. All Raikou make great leads (hence why I ended up leading with them so often), but especially a Calm Mind/Rest set. Shuckle3 with 31IV's was a strong pokemon to have in the back too, despite not getting a chance to shine this round. Gardevoir8 has Magical Leaf which could be great for a Water/Ground types (without Mirror Coat) that would stop Raikou in its tracks.

Things looked bad as I led Raikou against a Snorlax. But as Raikou1 went for Calm Mind, Snorlax used Counter. Raikou hit Thunderbolt for a third HP and took a Mega Kick in the process. Again Raikou hit a Thunderbolt for another third HP, but the next Mega Kick KO'd it. Gardevoir8 picked up the Lax KO and Manectric came out. Manectric set up the rain before being OHKO'd by Gardevoir8's Psychic. But last out was Suicune, who totally invalidates poor Shuckle. Gardevoir8 did the only thing it could, used Psychic, and got the Special Defense drop as Suicune used Calm Mind. That drop saved the run, because another Psychic did a little over a third HP, and Suicune Calm Minded again. Gardevoir barely picked off the +1 Special Denfense Suicune from there.

The next opponent had Electric types, and I was excited about the prospect of having Raikou in the lead with Suicune in the back for any Ground types. I dumped Gardevoir8 instead of Shuckle3, because Shuckle is a decent Electric answer and it doesn't mind paralysis. PS: only after taking Suicune and seeing it was set 6 with Rest did I realize how close I came to losing the previous battle.

Raikou1 vs. Metagross. Raikou1 Thunderbolted and Metagross survived on low HP and Double Teamed. My next Thunderbolt missed, and Metagross Resto-Chesto'd. Saving Raikou1's HP, I switched to Suicune6 on the Earthquake. Suicune6 set up 4 Calm Minds while Resting to stay out of crit range. When I finally went to use +4 Surf, Metagross landed a critical hit Earthquake to leave me in the red before getting the OHKO onto him. Zapdos came out and easily picked off Suicune6. I really wanted to send out Shuckle3 here because if the last pokemon was Lanturn with Volt Absorb, it was GG. Or so it seemed. Raikou1 set up to +6 on Zapdos and could have PP stalled all Surfs barring crits. But since the last Pokemon was instead Electrode, +6 Raikou1 destroyed it.

I thought for a while about who I should take from their team. I talked myself into Zapdos3, and actually wrote the swap down, but then realized that I would have a terrible time against special walls. So I crossed out Zapdos and instead swapped for Metagross3. Instead of adding a Ground immunity, I added another Ground weakness. Metagross3 helped against a Latios3 who joined the team in Metagross' place, and the rest of the round went smoothly.
20220712_193602.jpg

I was also streaming this round from my phone on the Discord, 6/27. This was not a draft with which I imagined losing. I got Dragon Dance Mence with Earthquake and Rock Slide after hearing the next trainer had Fire types. I really like a Destiny Bond Gengar lead; it can usually take out one Pokemon and Destiny Bond on the second. It even opens up switching opportunities, since a teammate won't have to switch into Normal, Ground and Fighting type moves.

The first battle was a given. The second battle almost went off the rails because after taking down the first Pokemon, Gengar kept clicking Destiny Bond against an unknown Moltres (since most sets can OHKO me with a roll). Moltres missed a Fire Blast, used Double Team, used Fire Blast without OHKOing, then missed another Fire Blast. So Gengar had to use its final Destiny Bond PP and Moltres3 finally took them both out. Moltres3 with Pressure and Double Team had a good chance of beating my Salamence5. But then Skarmory2 in the back didn't make it easy either. Salamence5 got off Intimidate onto Skarmory, and Tauros immediately switched in with another Intimidate. Skarmory Brightpowder dodged the first Thunderbolt and the second one didn't do half. Thankfully by the time Toxic started to do damage, Tauros brought down Skarmory.

Next is my Gengar4 vs. Granbull. The only move that would OHKO was Choice Band Shadow Ball, which Salamence welcomed with Dragon Dance. Gengar's Psychic did over half to Granbull and Granbull Thunder Waved into my Lum Berry. Next Psychic KO'd and Metagross was out next. Metagross got the Quick Claw Rock Slide flinch. So Gengar4 only got one Fire Punch off before going down to another Rock Slide. Salamence outsped and KO'd with Earthquake, and Hariyama came out. Since I knew it was Metagross5 with one high risk move, I knew the Hariyama had to have one high risk move himself. But also Metagross5 had the Quick Claw, so it couldn't have been Hariyama3. I was able to conclude it must be Hariyama1. I was so proud of myself for figuring out I was facing Hariyama1 that I overlooked the high risk move Counter. So Salamence took a Fake Out, then used Earthquake and took a devastating Counter that left him on a sliver. Another Mence Earthquake didn't KO and Hariyama took me out with Rock Slide. I swear I get nervous with people watching. Tauros3 took Hariyama down with Double Edge, but one Focus Band plus Counter, and my run would have been over. So I was pretty rattled before the next and final battle....

So I suppose I should attribute some of this loss to Raikou getting a Brightpowder dodge turn 2. Had that not happened, Gengar would have KO'd Raikou and Destiny Bonded against Slowbro. I was so rattled from the Brightpowder miss that I overlooked the Reflect that Raikou set up. Thankfully it didn't change any decisions I made, because regardless, I needed to get off as much damage as possible with Salamence5 and I couldn't have risked Dragon Dance if Slowbro had Ice Beam. Slowbro going for Rain Dance instead of Surf onto Tauros was good news for me too. After the first Double Edge, I inconclusively tried measuring Slowbro's HP bar with a ruler to see if Earthquake would KO or if I had to accept the Double Edge recoil in order to guarantee the KO. Last out was Nidoqueen, and I was hyper aware of the Counter nonsense from the last battle. I used Ice Beam as Nidoqueen used Counter. I saw that Earthquake picked up the KO on Nidoqueen from that range, but I was afraid of the Focus Band. I was under the impression that Nidoqueen was most likely to use Counter again. I checked the damage calculator and read there was a .04% chance for Nidoqueen1 to 2HKO me with Sludge Bomb; crucially, though, I didn't zoom out to read "after Leftovers recovery" and instead thought that Nidoqueen1's CRIT Sludge Bomb would have a .04% chance to KO me (actually crit Sludge Bomb had a 43.8% chance to KO Tauros from that HP). I was figuring that if Focus Band had a 10% chance to activate and Counter was the most likely move, 3 Ice Beams with freeze chance was my best counterplay. Obviously Earthquake was a chance I should have taken, and so I must considered this a loss by misplay.

Screenshot_2022-07-28-12-13-23~2.png

Hey everyone I've been having some fun with a new challenge lately. The glitched moveset challenge. This is a "challenge" where every pokemon on your team can use any move (possibly from the battle pike sketch glitch). It's fun to mess around with overpowered movesets, but so far I haven't been able to come up with a team that's completely unbeatable.
slaking.png
skarmory.png
wobbuffet.png

slaking.png

Skill king lum berry (jolly) ability: truant
Skill swap / protect/ dragon dance / return
EV's 252 Hp / 4 sdef / 252 spe
skarmory.png

Tank chesto berry (bold) ability: sturdy
Protect / recover / torment / spore
EV's 252 Hp / 252 sdef / 4 spe
wobbuffet.png

Trapper leftovers (calm) ability: shadow tag
protect / recover / cosmic power / perish song
EV's 4 HP / 252 def / 252 sdef

Slaking is my pride and joy. This moveset is very op and wins the whole match most of the time solo, which I find fun. He is still susceptible to crits from some pokemon and OHKO moves. Skarmory is designed to cover for some of slakings weaknesses. Wobbuffet fun because of his combination of perish song and shadow tag.
I'd like to see the most broken team that could be created with these rules.

Hey everyone I've been having some fun with a new challenge lately. The glitched moveset challenge. This is a "challenge" where every pokemon on your team can use any move (possibly from the battle pike sketch glitch). It's fun to mess around with overpowered movesets, but so far I haven't been able to come up with a team that's completely unbeatable.
View attachment 443113View attachment 443107View attachment 443108
View attachment 443110
Skill king lum berry (jolly) ability: truant
Skill swap / protect/ dragon dance / return
EV's 252 Hp / 4 sdef / 252 spe
View attachment 443111
Tank chesto berry (bold) ability: sturdy
Protect / recover / torment / spore
EV's 252 Hp / 252 sdef / 4 spe
View attachment 443112
Trapper leftovers (calm) ability: shadow tag
protect / recover / cosmic power / perish song
EV's 4 HP / 252 def / 252 sdef

Slaking is my pride and joy. This moveset is very op and wins the whole match most of the time solo, which I find fun. He is still susceptible to crits from some pokemon and OHKO moves. Skarmory is designed to cover for some of slakings weaknesses. Wobbuffet fun because of his combination of perish song and shadow tag.
I'd like to see the most broken team that could be created with these rules.
Hmm it's a big drop in power but I wonder if Drill Peck might be better than Return on Glitched Moveset Slaking, just so you hit everything for at least some damage? Substitute + Leftovers might help to protect you against OHKO moves as well as Quick Claw mons in the back generally, but you'd have to sub it over Protect and that creates its own issues.

Hmm it's a big drop in power but I wonder if Drill Peck might be better than Return on Glitched Moveset Slaking, just so you hit everything for at least some damage? Substitute + Leftovers might help to protect you against OHKO moves as well as Quick Claw mons in the back generally, but you'd have to sub it over Protect and that creates its own issues.
That might be helpful if wobbuffet dies. But hitting ghosts would be the main benefit and I just haven't run into any issues with ghosts on this team.

Currently in the middle of 30+ winstreak in the battles dome with the following team.

:Latios:
Latios @ Lum Berry
IVs: 31/0/31/31/30/31
Level 50 stats: 156/85/100/182/130/178
Nature: Timid
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Claw
- Psychic

:Tauros:
Tauros @ Choice Band
IVs: 31/31/30/15/30/31
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Level 50 stats: 151/152/115/46/90/178
Nature: Jolly
- Return
- Strength
- Hidden Power Ghost (70)
- Earthquake

:Metagross:
Metagross @ Lax incense
Ability: Clear Body
IVs: 31/31/31/30/31/31
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 6 Spa / (Idk why)
Level 50 stats: 187/205/150/103/110/90
- Shadow Ball
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Had a bit of a scare when a certain Steelix deciding to use explosion after I knocked out it's scizor partner >w>

Threats: QC mons like slowking, Being stuck spamming earthquake against flying/Levitate mons if latios gets KOed, and the dreaded sheer cold walrein...
*Update Lost my streak due to not being focused and lost up against a counter spamming Miltank and ice beam rest + Chesto regice :/

Attachments

So I did some... testing with Armaldo in the Battle Tower.

Team #1:

I wanted to make the most of Battle Armor (crit immunity) and see how far I could get. So far this team has made it to round 64. It is not consistent at all but it is very fun to use. If anyone has any ideas for improvement, I'm all ears!

This is a Baton Pass team designed around sweeping with Armaldo. I have since abandoned this team so my memory of the optimizations is not perfect. Level 97 for max bulk.

stantler.gif

Stantler (M)
Level: 97
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 172 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thief
- Sand Attack
- Roar

This thing tries to cripple whatever gets sent out first. Thunder Wave is needed for opponents whom outspeed Smeargle. Thief is mandatory for Quick Claw lest Smeargle gets haxed. Sand-Attack FTW. Roar is there if faced with a possible explosion user, and anything else you are not comfortable setting up against such as Ground types faster than Smeargle (immune to Thunder Wave) and Clear Body / Keen Eye.

EVs let it live two special attacks from common pokemon.

If Stantler doesn't land a Thunder Wave or Sand-Attack, you more than likely have lost the match. I have experimented with other cripple leads (Hypno, Grumping, Misdreavus, Double Team Baton Pass Zapdos) but Stantler has been the most consistent.

Stantler loses to crits too often. The next biggest problem besides fast Ground types / Sand-Attack immune pokemon are pokemon that can damage themselves via Double-Edge / Hi Jump Kick / Explosion / Memento / etc. If Stantler fails, the whole team fails.

smeargle.gif
leftovers.png

Smeargle (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Def / 124 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Ingrain
- Cosmic Power
- Baton Pass

A very fun and satisfying Smeargle set. Ingrain helps you get more substitutes as you wait for hax. It is also important to prevent Roar/Whirlwind ending your streak. The bonus healing for Armaldo is useful, especially if you don't manage to pass 6 Cosmic Powers.

Speed EVs to outspeed paralyzed Dragon Dancers at +6. Defensive EVs to help live Aerial Aces.

I ran a simulation just for fun to see how many Cosmic Power boosts Smeargle can pass if the enemy is paralyzed, is slower, and doesn't have Quick Claw. This assumes no accuracy drops and that any hit will break a substitute.

Here is a quick outline of the logic. HP, Leftovers, and Ingrain were taken into account.
If no substitute -> use substitute
If substitute and no ingrain -> use ingrain
If substitute and ingrain -> use cosmic power
If +6 or not enough hp to make a substitute -> use baton pass

The results aren't ideal but that is to be expected when the only debuff the opponent has is paralysis. And again, this assumes that if the opponent isn't fully paralyzed then they will break the substitute. In reality, the opponent may not be able to or they may use a status move instead.
cosmic power probabilities.png

These are the probabilities of "at least 1 boost" or "at least 3 boosts." This graph is arguably more useful.

cosmic power cummulative probabilities.png

armaldo.gif
scope-lens.png

Armaldo (M) @ Scope Lens
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Atk / 20 SpD / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aerial Ace
- Substitute
- Rest

Let's go Armaldo! Pretty self-explanatory. Scope Lens helps beat Curse/Rest and Acid Armor/Rest. The item also helps beat Rest Registeel / Tyranitar / Skarmory who are not 3HKO'd without a crit.

Attack EVs are for the 3HKOs. HP EVs for a Leftovers (Ingrain) number. I forget what the speed is for :( Some speed is needed to outspeed OHKO move users. Substitute protects you from OHKO moves.

At +6/+6 with Ingrain, Armaldo is nearly unstoppable. Quick Claw OHKOs, Fissure Dugtrio, and Psych Up Metagross are still threats.

Team #2:

I decided to drop the gimmicks and see how I could make the most out of Armaldo. Its signature features Battle Armor and Knock Off go a long way on this team. I managed to get to round 148 but made a bad play turn one that gave me a completely unnecessary loss.

(I decided to Earthquake a Metagross lead instead of switching out to Suicune, who rarely loses to Metagross. Armaldo was needed later in the match after Suicune beat Metagross.)

That's right, another busted Suicune team. Water types synergize best with Armaldo, and Armaldo helps pokemon setup and sweep very well. Level 50 because we don't want Sand Stream.

armaldo.gif
brightpowder.png

Armaldo (M) @ Bright Powder
Ability: Battle Armor
Level: 50
EVs: 52 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 236 SpD / 212 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Mud-Slap
- Rock Tomb
- Earthquake

Knock Off Quick Claws and spam Mud Slap. Defensive EVs avoid OHKOs from most Water type attacks, which will never crit! Defensive EVs live every Surf and some Hydro Pumps. Speed EVs outspeed base 70s making Armaldo faster than most OHKO move users and Metagross, and Heracross after Rock Tomb. Armaldo is able to live many hits from most pokemon due to bulk, Battle Armor, and accuracy drops. Resistance to Normal type attacks is nice to have as well.

Rock Tomb is sometimes used to KO Flying types, who are immune to Mud Slap, or to give Suicune a speed advantage. Earthquake notably OHKOs Houndoom (fast Grass type user - not good for Suicune), hits Electric types hard (with some OHKOs), and is useful for revenge killing pokemon such as Calm Mind Espeon later in the match if they managed to defeat Suicune or Raikou. Setting up with Armaldo is often unnecessary, and you can use him later in the match at full health by switching out turn one. In certain matchups, you can still debuff the opponent and be at full health before you switch in Suicune / Raikou which is always nice.

Bright Powder because Sitrus Berry doesn't let Armaldo live two Cross Chops from Machamp. It also gives Armaldo markedly improved odds of dodging attacks. In other words, after Armaldo lands a Mud Slap, he has much better odds of landing another one when holding Bright Powder.

Chance to hit Armaldo at -1 Accuracy: .75
Odds of hitting: 3 to 1

Chance to hit Armaldo at -1 Accuracy with Bright Powder: .75 * .9 = .675
Odds of hitting: .675 / .325 = 2.08 or roughly 2 to 1

brightpowder chance.png

brightpowder odds.png

suicune.gif
leftovers.png

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 236 HP / 148 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

An offensive take on the magic Suicune set we all know and love. Sometimes Suicune can switch in turn one and set up without Armaldo's aid, preserving his health. The rest of the time, Suicune can set up on almost anything that Armaldo has debuffed.

The idea is to get to +6 (very easy) and sweep with Suicune's near perfect coverage. When faced against a Water Absorb user that just won't go down, you can PP stall and then have Raikou set up and sweep instead.

raikou.gif
lum berry.png

Raikou @ Lum Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Raikou is here since it has an easier time setting up against Electric types than Suicune does, especially Zapdos who is immune to Mud Slap. It can also take advantage of "status spammers" quite easily. Outside of those, it is fast, has near perfect coverage (looking at you Shedinja), and has Calm Mind.

This team is still new but here are some threats:

These guys can cause Suicune to run out of PP then KO Armaldo and Raikou:
- Registeel / Wailord / Quagsire + Amnesia / Curse
- Blissey / Chansey + Double Team / Calm Mind

Lanturn threatens Armaldo with Water type attacks, Suicune with Electric type attacks, and Raikou with its resistances. PP stalling it can be difficult. Fortunately, Armaldo can live any attack from Lanturn and do heavy damage in return with Earthquake, or go for a Mud Slap.

Starmie has Water / Electric coverage like Lanturn but between Mud Slap and Calm Mind, you can usually win.

Heracross outspeeds and 2HKOs Armaldo, is faster than Suicune, and can OHKO Raikou with Earthquake. STAB Megahorn can be too much for Suicune if Rock Tomb misses and Megahorn keeps hitting.

Last edited:
Reporting a streak of 76 wins (41 swaps) in Lv. 50 Factory Doubles (on emu). I played this in November 2020 and deleted my previous post about it, I'm reconstructing it based on extensive Discord notes.

Rounds 1-5 went undocumented.

Round 6 had Dodrio / Houndoom / Victreebel / Vaporeon / Skarmory3 / Dodrio. I picked Victreebel / Vaporeon / Skarmory, Vic to avoid losing to Electrics. I promptly have a near-death experience against Mr. Mime / Tentacruel / Sceptile which is only won because Skarm gets tricked a Choice Band and 3HKOs Tentacruel 1v1, withstanding its Surfs. After battle 3, I have Sceptile3 / Slowking3 / Skarmory3 and am forced to pick between Espeon3, Marowak3, Aerodactyl3, or nothing. I go with Espeon over Slowking, then meet Shiftry / Charizard leads. Crush Claw + Psychic KOs Zard thanks to bad IVs, Wailord is last, and Skarm tanks the Shiftry spread Explosion (crit would have killed). The next battle has Tauros / Heracross leads, and I contemplate switching but decide it's useless because Megahorn could target either slot, and take the Brightpowder risk (no proc). Leaf Blade crits Tauros for the OHKO, and Snorlax is last. Battle 6 is against Flareon / Exeggutor / Aggron (special set), which is won by double-targeting Flareon first turn. Battle 7 is against Jynx / Exploud, and since Jynx doesn't have an Ice move and Exploud has Overheat, I decide to double-target Exp; Espeon suffers Lovely Kiss but wakes up from Lum Berry, and I'm in round 7 (Vileplume last).

Round 7 draft was Metagross1 / Aggron4 (Rock Head) / Walrein4 / Starmie4 (Illuminate) / Rapidash4 (Run Away) / Feraligatr4. I went with Mie / Meta / Walrein because Walrein's weaknesses are well-covered by the other two, and it can attack Fires and Grounds threatening Meta with Surf / IB. Battle 1 is against Claydol / Vileplume / Scizor and won with few issues (I switched Meta for Walrein T1). Battle 2 is another near-disaster with Arcanine / CB Armaldo leading, I switched Meta for Walrein knowing that Wal would have to win this by itself. Armaldo locks Double-Edge killing Espeon (shit), Walrein tanks Overheat easily thanks to Thick Fat, and it crits Arcanine next turn as Meta dies to Overheat; lastmon Nidoking uses Thunder, gets the paralysis, but no fp, Walrein Ice Beam OHKOs. I ponder swapping but decide not to, and battle 3 is against Charizard / Magmar / Aerodactyl, which is a 3-0 thanks to Mie. The announcer says Flying and Aero4 has no Rock move, so I don't swap; battle 4 is against Crobat / Altaria / Typhlosion. I use IB on Alta and switch Meta for Walrein, Crobat Shadow Balls Starmie for 60% (crit would have been bad), they send Typh, I switch Mie for Meta, taking TPunch, Walrein misses Crobat with IB. T3 I switch Meta for Mie, suffer CRay + Overheat into that slot, and IB KOs Crobat. Afterwards I figure that the better route to take would have been switching Mie for Wal, Meteor Mash the bat, and IB it next turn switching Meta for Mie, since Altaria Flamethrower only 2HKOs Meta. The announcer says Ground for battle 6, and I swap in a Heracross for Meta. Then battle 7 is against Shiftry / Milotic / Marowak, where I suffer FO to Hera and Mie gets its TBolt Mirror Coated back for a KO (but this still puts Milo into Megahorn range). Fortunately, Megahorn does not miss Shiftry T2 and Walrein KOs Marowak despite being outsped. Even if Hera had died here, Wal would have had good odds against Milo thanks to Sheer Cold.

Round 8 draft was Arcanine1 / Muk4 / Meganium2 / Tentacruel4 / Slaking3 / Medicham2. I take Slaking / Medicham / Muk. Battle 1 is against Lapras / Glalie / Salamence; I click EQ + Endure, Lapras QC Horn Drills Medicham (endured), EQ KOs Lapras (Mence in) and redlines Glalie, which explodes... Medicham endured, 3-0. Announcer says Psychic, I swap Medicham for Salamence, which turns out to be set5 (no Flying STAB). Battle 2 is against Ampharos / Exeggutor / Gardevoir, and I click EQ + DD, suffer Toxic, and have Facade. I pick up Latias3 afterwards (replacing Arcanine which replaced Muk), and beat Altaria / Latios / Gardevoir when Latios uses EQ T1 and Altaria Perish Song. Onward!

Round 9 draft is Meganium2 / Exeggutor4 / Altaria4 / Raikou1 / Fearow4 / Fearow2. I figure I'm as good as dead, but take Raikou / Fearow2 / Egg after contemplating Altaria (but as Glen says, "fuck Altaria"). Battle 1 is vs. Vileplume / Exploud / Heracross; Fearow is KOd T1 but we have a 2-1 against Hera, which is only 2HKO'd by TBolt and procs Focus Band... but misses Megahorn. I ponder Hera1 and Exploud3, and decide to go with Hera even though the set is bad. Lapras / Blastoise / Kingdra are swiftly dispatched, and I take Kingdra for Egg... which turns out to be the Endure / Flail set. But it saves me right away: Espeon / Glalie / Wailord; TBolt Esp (redline) and switch Hera for Kingdra, taking Psychic; T2 Bolt Esp again and Endure Kingdra (the winning tempo), Glalie Body Slams Raikou for para, but it comes through with a Bolt on Wailord, ending it. Announcer says Psychic, and I swap out Hera for Espeon since two sets have Bite and one has Shadow Ball (laugh all you want). Slowbro / Gardevoir / Zapdos, I double-target Slowbro to eliminate a possible QC and win. I swap in Gardevoir, and it's set1 (fml). The ensuing match against Starmie / Exploud / Victreebel is hairy, but Garde's Reflect and Raikou's ChestoRest see me through. Mie replaces Garde (it's SPIT Starmie), and I trivially beat Dewgong / Flareon / Weezing, then hear the announcer say Ground. I wonder whether to keep Raikou, but replace it with Dewgong after deliberation, and get lucky: it's Dewgong1. Ursaring / Donphan leads look bad, but I FO Ursa (DEdge being the worse move to bear) and everything is still alive after T1, then no QCs happen on T2. Lastmon Steelix does nothing -- welcome to Round 10.

The round 10 draft is Mr. Mime4 / Miltank3 / Metagross5 / Blaziken2 / Shiftry1 / Registeel6. I take Meta (obv) / Miltank / Shiftry (for FO). Battle 2 is against Houndoom / Vileplume / Nidoqueen, and Meta activates QC to continue the streak (to be fair, not all Houndoom can OHKO Meta assuredly even disregarding accuracy, but there was a pretty good chance). I then take a Snorlax (set3 or set5, didn't note except that it had Mega Kick) for Shiftry, which I promptly replace with Misdreavus. The announcer says "total preparation". I reckon that Fire-types (which Meta dreads) largely lack setup moves, and continue without a swap. Slowbro / Registeel, T1 switch Miltank for Missy and EQ (2HKO to Registeel), TWave Bro T2, no QC, in comes... Entei. It uses Calm Mind -- I'll take the win, thanks (Explosion + Endure). In battle 7 (Machamp / Marowak / Victreebel), Meta explodes right away, and Slowbro fires Quick Claw Psychic at Vic to ensure the win.

The round 11 draft had Dugtrio4, a Salamence, and Ludicolo2 which I ended up taking. Exploud / Raichu / Nidoqueen is a 3-0, but the announcer says Water, which I dread. I swap Ludi for Raichu. Blastoise / Armaldo leads, EQ + DClaw KOs Armaldo, Suicune in, IB KOs Mence, 2-2. Dug uses Rock Slide as Raichu bolts Toise; it procs Focus Band... but also flinches. Cune Double Teams. T3 Dug RS + Raichu Bolt Cune (protected), and then Bolt is a 2HKO on Cune2 thanks to RS chip. I swap Raichu for Blastoise which rotates out for Walrein right after, eliminate another Water trainer (Gyarados / Kingdra leads), and then I lose: Electrode / Tauros / Regice. I decide to save Dug and switch it for Walrein, Trode protects, Tauros DEdges Walrein after taking DClaw for 80%, and then I misplay by not saving Walrein. I'm promptly punished by Regice, which assisted by Trode's Light Screen doesn't get killed by EQ + 2 Flamethrowers, and unfortunately obliterates Dug first rather than Mence.

I don't have a screenshot, sorry. It would prove nothing anyway, as I could simply edit the numbers with PKHeX.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 20)