Metagame [Gen 9] Modern Gen 1

Why does fairy not resist poison or fire?
Q: How do the new types work?
Dark, Steel and Fairy all function properly defensively, but Fire does not resist Steel and Fairy, Poison does not resist Fairy and Dark is not super effective against Ghost or Psychic. Fairy moves are physical.
assuming you mean "why do poison and fire not resist fairy?". in the future consider reading the OP

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
that’s what i meant, why do fire and poison not resist fairy
MG1 works with custom game mechanics, which are not conceived with future gen mechanics in mind. Lot of MG1 mechanics are probably just not intended, including the weird MG1 type interactions with fairy and dark.

i don't get the reasoning behind steel and fire not resisting fairy, that's never been a thing before and all it does is make fairy types stronger

well yeah but DIB has a flinch chance, hits twice, and is physical. have you seen melmetal's special stats?
my man's forgot the phys/special split!!

but yes in summary Steel Beam is a physical move in this meta just like all other Steel-type moves so youre comparing a 60bp STAB option that hits twice vs. a 140 bp STAB option that almost all pokemon of that type get, the maths should speak for themselves.
also, Steel Beam lacks recoil damage in this gen so it's a 140BP STAB option with no drawbacks, it's a great fit even on Corviknight to deal respectable damage to pratically anything it's looking at.

flinch rate is interesting specially with the popularity of para but probably not near enough to warrant a niche in this meta, if it does sadly Mel still really doesnt enjoy the other Steel types in the tier who provide more value overall; Corv has Roost, the advantages of a Flying type, and U-turn, Iron Treads has Volt Switch, way higher Speed (which grants it a good crit rate in gen 1), and advantages of being part Ground in being immune to T-wave and having STAB EQ, where Mel literally only sits down and hopes to beat you down with Steel STAB instead of providing any other sort of value, it's sadly pathetic movepool leaves it wanting for a lot in this meta

i don't get the reasoning behind steel and fire not resisting fairy, that's never been a thing before and all it does is make fairy types stronger
i'm fairly confident you didn't play this meta very much and either don't intend to, or don't intend on researching RBY mechanics first; Fairy is barely a meaningfully good typing in this meta for anything other than being immune to Dragon - Fairy moves are all physical in this meta and with most of them being special attackers you probably can tell they have STAB issues similar to most Ghost types in the past gens, let alone being one of the few types weak to Steel being very problematic with the aforementioned extremely safe Steel Beam

and if you're thinking this is deliberately chosen, this is literally how these mechanics work in Showdown backporting these moves to gen 1, the council didn't make any of this up, this is simply exactly how it works for some reason

Last edited:
was the thinly-veiled insult really necessary? Also, your confidence is very misplaced.
i didn't intend to insult but poke at the way you don't seem to want to look for basic information at the OP FAQ's and would rather complain that the meta is in a shape you do not want it to be instead of trying to comprehend it and why it's this way. I simpl wish this topic was a bit more constructive instead of asking the same things over and over

And what about my confidence?

Time to spread melmetal propaganda

:ss/melmetal:
Lead (Melmetal)
Ability: No Ability
- Double Iron Bash / Steel Beam
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Thunder Wave

While being a subpar steel otherwise, Melmetal does have some good traits that allow it to function in the lead slot. It has a mostly even matchup vs Giratina and a great one vs other dragon types like Latios or vs Magearna. While it may look like it loses to lead Iron Treads, it can actually do quite well because of its fantastic bulk.

248 Atk Iron Treads Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 248 Def Melmetal: 182-216 (38.4 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
248 Atk Melmetal Superpower vs. 248 HP / 248 Def Iron Treads: 196-232 (51.1 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Melmetal can opt to trade some of it's HP to weaken Iron Treads to open up it's teammates like Magearna or Tapu Koko which dislike Iron Treads. This means Melmetal has an even or good matchup into nearly every lead you'll encounter. Steel Beam can be used over Double Iron Bash to cleanly 3HKO Giratina at the cost of not being able to paraflinch with Double Iron Bash (which is only 30% flinch).
The main problem of Melmetal comes from it's poor ability to break common teams and its lackluster typing leaving it vulnerable to most mons to easily 3HKO or 2HKO it. Melmetal can struggle to break water types like Gastrodon, Slowbro, or Walking Wake, and opposing steels like Corviknight can be tough to break and use Melmetal to gain momentum. It's low speed also makes it's crit chance terrible while ensuring that it will be outsped by everything that is not paralyzed or named Slowbro or Corviknight (which wall you completely).
Overall, I think Melmetal can be quite functional as a lead and is quite underrated currently, but is still not a top contender like it's steel buddies Iron Treads or Corviknight.

Pecharunt is released now and will be starting in OU! This mon is absolutely terrible and you probably shouldn't use it.
i'd try to argue it's typing and bulk might be salvageable but i... can't confidently see it winning against most of what seems to make OU good rn, sad to see it

MG1 Random Battles is now playable on Dragon Heaven! Please note that the server loads slowly so be patient. If you encounter any bugs, bad sets or think any levels are wrong within the format please post them in the #development channel in the MG1 discord server!

Modern Gen 1 is banning Shell Smash and Basculegion (both formes)!

:torterra: :blastoise: :basculegion: :basculegion-f: With the addition of Torterra into SV, it gained access to the move Shell Smash. This was widely regarded as a bad move. At +2, Torterra can take down nearly any mon that's been slightly chipped, and can delete the plethora of ground weak threats like Tapu Koko and Iron Treads from full. Headlong Rush is also 100% accurate and it also has access to a wide array of coverage, with Stone Edge to hit flying types like Archeops and Yveltal and HP Fire to roast Kartana. Pair all this with its good defensive typing and bulk allowing it to setup with ease, this mon is a serious threat. However, if this was all that was an issue, this would be a Torterra ban. Both Shell Smash and Basculegion combined with no team preview allows you to chip down your opponent checks without your opponent having any counterplay. Combine this with having to account for Basculegion, Torterra, Blastoise, or another setup sweeper in the back makes it a roll of the dice if you'll instantly lose to a massive speed boosting threat. Because of this, Shell Smash and Basculegions are banned!

Along with this, Cloyster, Gorebyss and Omastar are unbanned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)