Tournament [Gen 9] Duomod (i have created the best mod)

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
DuomodGen9Banner.png

stall teams are bad here and that means you should play this mod
...okay, hope that "little" message didn't bother anyone lmao. Anyways, welcome to Gen 9 Duomod! Put simply, this is a mod designed to make Pokemon Showdown as fun as possible at the cost of it being a fully competitive game. The mod still intends to be balanced and everything, don't get me wrong, but there's a much bigger focus on randomness and Pokemon being as fun to use as possible.

At the end of each turn, a "Roulette Wheel" will spin. This will make one of 35 (more to come later) completely random things happen to change the battle. You both could use a certain move, a field effect could be set, someone could explode, who knows? Either way, the appeal to something like this is similar to Mario Party - you can absolutely win off of skill, but luck is going to be the deciding factor a bunch of the time, and it's supposed to be so chaotic that you can't help but enjoy the game finding new ways to screw everyone over.

There's also new 30 Fakemon you've gotta use, with more coming later! A bunch of them are also designed to play completely differently from any other Pokemon you've ever used through new abilities or just using existing stuff in a new way. Have you ever wanted to use a Pokemon that can choose one immunity that it announces when switching in? How about a weather that people will be setting by accident, but with a weaker abuser? Or a Pokemon that can change type when it statuses something with Dire Claw? No? Well now you get to use those anyways!

For those of you returning from Gen 8, I built this mod to stand apart from Gen 8 Duomod even if both are similar. Only 12 of the current 30 Fakemon are returning from Gen 8, with a vast majority of those seeing major changes, and only 3 of the 13 custom abilities and 3 of the 18 custom moves are returning. Only 15 of the 35 Roulette Wheel effects are copied over from Gen 8, and the type chart changes were reverted to normal. If you like everything Gen 9 has more or would prefer playing something more modern, then that's great! If you like the package of Gen 8 more though, then you can still play that and I wouldn't card.

I spent A LOT of effort on this though, more than you might believe. Approaching Gen 9's release, I spent three days doing nothing but working on this - planning, coding, spriting, and so on. Some things might be a bit rough around the edges, especially with the balancing, as some Pokemon were changed last minute because of balance concerns or adding new Scarlet and Violet stuff. I will be actively working to rebalance this mod if when balance issues are noticed.

Onto the new stuff itself! You're free to skip some or all of this if you just want to figure things out for yourself. Most of this will be viewable on the teambuilder anyways.
Blue Shell | 70 BP / 100 Acc | Rock, Physical, 16 PP
"Doubles in damage if the user has less active Pokemon than the target."

Double Dab | 15 BP / 100 Acc | Fighting, Physical, 1 PP
"+1 Priority. Hits twice. 100% chance to make the opponent flinch."

Exo Bash | --- / 100 Acc | Bug, Physical, 24 PP
"Does more damage the lower the user's Defense is than the target."

EXTREME BEAM | 250 BP / 99 Acc | Steel, Special, 8 PP
"-6 Priority. The user is given the Bide condition after attacking."

Gelatinize | --- / --- | Psychic, Status, 16 PP
"+1 Priority. Sets the user's ability to Magic Bounce."
(Side note - this move is very sparsely distributed. I doubt this move will be too crazy because the immediate threat of "I can't click Stealth Rock" isn't there anymore but you shouldn't be worried.)

Hyper Wind | 110 BP / 100 Acc | Flying, Special, 16 PP
"Removes entry hazards from the target's side of the field."

Impostor Blade | 120 BP / 100 Acc | Dark, Physical, 8 PP
"If the target does not faint, the user faints."

Incense | --- / --- | Grass, Status, 32 PP
"For 5 turns, the user's side of the field will not be able to lose their held items to Knock Off."
(Side note - I meant to code it so you couldn't lose it to Trick, Bug Bite, Thief, Corrosive Gas etc., but apparently I forgot and just hardcoded it to Knock Off. Oops. This'll be fixed later.)

Inkbrush | 20 BP / 100 Acc | Poison, Physical, 24 PP
"Hits 4 times. High critical-hit ratio."

Kamikaze | --- / 50 Acc | Dragon, Physical, 8 PP
"Deals 1/2 of the target's max HP. If it fails, the user loses 1/2 of its max HP in crash damage."

One Trillion Arrows | 40 BP / 100 Acc | Ground, Physical, 8 PP
"Removes the target's type-based immunities. Flying-types are not immune to this move."

Outburst | 140 BP / 100 Acc | Electric, Special, 8 PP
"Changes the target's ability to Lightning Rod."

Pharaoh Shot | 70 BP / 100 Acc | Fire, Special, 24 PP
"-3 Priority. If the user was hit by a contact move this turn, the attacker gets hit twice."

Polar Pounce | 80 BP / 100 Acc | Ice, Physical, 16 PP
"Sets Snow."

Remote Mine | 130 BP / 100 Acc | Water, Special, 16 PP
"Does not deal damage if the user's move has even PP before using."

Roulette Spin | --- / --- | Fairy, Status, 64 PP
"Activates the Roulette Wheel an additional time."

Shadow Scratch | 40 BP / 100 Acc | Ghost, Physical, 16 PP
"Has a higher base power the less HP your opponent has. For 3/4 max or lower it boosts to 60, for 1/2 it boosts to 80, for 1/4 it's 120, and for 1/10 it's 400."

Stupid Cannon | --- / 100 Acc | Normal, Special, 24 PP
"Does not hit exactly 22 times for 5 damage. No. Don't use this move it's not even good"
I'll say first that every Pokemon notably learns the following moves - Toxic, Double Dab, EXTREME BEAM, Stupid Cannon, Impostor Blade, Protect, Substitute. Assume Pokemon have these plus whatever other universal moves there are.

abysseil.png

Abysseil (Returning) | Water/Psychic | 80/44/95/83/95/138 | Good as Gold
Notably learns Chilly Reception, Scald, Shed Tail, Lumina Crash, Spikes, Calm Mind, Trick, Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Reflect, Light Screen
Abysseil's whole deal was supposed to be as a supportive Pokemon in Gen 8, but kinda failed since it was outclassed as a Rain setter and Screens Offense is probably never going to be viable in Duomod. Shed Tail is a really good move that this thing now can abuse, but you lack healing and have a defensive typing that leaves a lot to be desired. I honestly wasn't sure how to balance Shed Tail, Good as Gold I'm confident will be fine on this because of its underwhelming stats outside of Speed but Shed Tail is a huge underexplored question mark for me.

antestar.png

Antestar (New!) | Steel/Fairy | 18/120/44/95/112/131 | Innards Out
Notably learns Bullet Punch, Iron Head, Play Rough, U-Turn, Zing Zap, Lunar Blessing, Zen Headbutt, Trick, Explosion
This sprite's the newest out of anything on this post but I really struggled to come up with a design lmao, might have something completely different later because I'm not especially proud of this even if there's parts of it I like. Anyways, Innards Out with such a low HP stat is really cool, basically a boosted Aftermath. Otherwise you're just a fast pivot with a pretty awkward offensive typing. Might need to go back and give this one better coverage...

badgearth.png

Badgearth (Returning) | Ground | 58/109/112/48/48/109 | Regenerator
Notably learns U-Turn, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Dragon Dance, Swords Dance, First Impression, Poison Jab, Rapid Spin, Shadow Scratch, Blue Shell
Kinda fun offensive mon that was made during the later portions of Gen 8. You have some defensive utility but not the most out there. There's a lot of set variety with this one, I tried to give a bunch of mons some level of versatility compared to how they were in Gen 8 and this is one that needed little change.

baloon.png

Baloon (Returning) | Fairy | 137/124/142/102/12/83 | Queen of Roulette (Not coded into the game yet by accident, leaving Baloon unusable. When it does get coded in, however - The Roulette Wheel spins two additional times at the end of each turn.)
Notably learns Play Rough, Toxic Spikes, Fire Punch, Dragon Dance, Cotton Guard, Volt Tackle, Heal Order, Heart Swap
The face of Duomod. This is the one Pokemon I expect to see zero change between Gen 8 and Gen 9. Despite this thing's stats and movepool, Baloon's main purpose is to spam Substitute, Protect, and Heal Order in order for the Roulette Wheel to do its magic and have random nonsense screw with the opponent. Might sound pretty annoying, but the ability makes things get chaotic very quickly and people seem to like the added chaos. It's genuinely really good at disruption, and there's a point to having it outside of that too. It hard counters most physical mons and can get a Substitute train going against basically anything else under the right circumstances. I say that knowing it has base 12 Sp. Def.

bittle.png

Bittle (Returning) | Bug/Steel | 85/85/85/85/85/85 | Update (Announces the user's held item on switch-in. If it's any plate, they become immune to its corresponding type unless they're weak to it)
Notably learns Chilly Reception, Defog, Roost, Knock Off, Haze, Stealth Rock, Leech Life, Iron Head, Taunt, Whirlwind, Will-o-Wisp, Thunder Wave, Gigaton Hammer, Flash Cannon, Rapid Spin
Okay when I said "versatility" earlier, this is the extreme end of it. Bittle is supposed to do whatever you want a defensive Steel to do other than being neutral to Fire and having real stats. Knock Off does completely destroy its ability unless you choose to run Dread Plate, and it will need to pick and choose what you're able to do with it. Maybe the stats aren't bad enough to adequately nerf this, I dunno, but even if it ends up being way more splashable than I'd want it shouldn't be outright overpowered by any means.

capsaken.png

Capsaken (New!) | Dark/Fire | 95/114/95/77/77/64 | Blazing Spirit (Combines the effects of Vital Spirit, Magic Guard, and Intimidate)
Notably learns Chilly Reception, Knock Off, Flare Blitz, Ceaseless Edge, Will-o-Wisp, Brave Bird
On the opposite side of Bittle, here's a Pokemon with one dedicated role - a physical blanket check to stuff and Spikes setter. If you're wondering why this gets Chilly Reception and not U-Turn, that was hinted at before and will be explained in a different Fakemon blurb later, so don't worry. Ceaseless Edge being an attacking Spikes is cool though for not being blocked by Taunt, allowing Assault Vest sets to run even if you sacrifice your pivoting, and the ability to threaten stuff that's weak to Dark with another pretty spammable button.

cephalopire.png

Cephalopire (New!) | Water | 125/86/86/68/68/47 | Host Absorb (When the user lands a contact move, the target gets Leech Seeded)
Notably learns Aqua Jet, Flip Turn, Nuzzle, Knock Off, Rapid Spin, Waterfall, Polar Pounce, Inkbrush
Here's the meta's bulky Water-type. No healing is no problem here because of Host Absorb, which has some really fun applications with some moves here. I feel like a lot of these options really speak for themselves, specifically the first five. This Pokemon will be extremely vulnerable to status and will really want to use Protect, so be careful when using it. I should also mention that I think with the way things are currently coded, Grass-types may not be immune to Host Absorb. I may not end up liking how free that makes your healing and chip damage with basically anything this mon wants to do but will give it a shot.

chemiclysm.png

Chemiclysm (New!) | Steel/Poison | 90/60/70/80/120/30 | Poison Point
Notably learns Clear Smog, Sludge Bomb, Stealth Rock, Flash Cannon, Recover, Chilly Reception, Toxic Spikes, Acid Spray, Gelatinize
Here's the fat Steel. This thing's bulk perfectly matches the buff I had planned for Deliriophage when finishing off Gen 8 and I can't remember if that's a coincidence or not. You can't really threaten stuff outside of Toxic or running Acid Spray, but you probably have to sacrifice Clear Smog for that. Also worth note that this is the first Gelatinize abuser, and it's on a Pokemon that already doesn't care too much about status in most cases. You can still mess with Stealth Rock and stuff but it will be somewhat telegraphed if the move has any relevance.

commanto.png

Commanto (New!) | Bug/Fighting | 80/75/80/145/75/80 | Gorilla Tactics
Notably learns Vacuum Wave, Bug Buzz, Focus Blast, Earth Power, Dark Pulse, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Psychic, Megahorn, Close Combat, Stone Edge, Skill Swap, Nasty Plot, Remote Mine
One of my prouder creations from this bunch even if the sprite is awful because I made it half a decade ago. Really crazy offensive stats, Attack stat goes up to ~136 when multiplied by 1.5x, but you're forced into a choice lock and have a weird offensive type. It sounds gimmicky but you can run Skill Swap if you're running a special set just to mess with defensive Pokemon and free yourself to either use your boosting options or click buttons as you please.

eneryth.png

Eneryth (New!) | Electric | 73/51/51/111/73/171 | Power Outage (Lowers the user's Speed by 1 stage every turn)
Notably learns Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Power Gem, Chilly Reception, Agility, Kamikaze
Behold, the fastest Pokemon in the metagame! For one turn. At -1 you're slower than base 97s, and if you really want to run Choice Scarf you're slower than Base 116s after two turns. Your movepool with this thing is so horrid that Kamikaze might be of genuine use here, it's better than any other chance it has to mess with the stuff that blocks its pivoting.

escarglace.png

Escarglace (New!) | Ice | 50/70/110/140/70/40 | Slush Rush
Notably learns Blizzard, Ice Beam, Earth Power, Nasty Plot, Chilly Reception, Freeze-Dry, Sludge Bomb, Surf
So this is meant to be a Snow abuser. Where's the Snow setter? Well, look around you. Polar Pounce was introduced and Chilly Reception was distributed solely for this thing. This is not a mod that can support hyper offense, but if you want to get close, you should be running Escarglace. Its defensive use is barely there and its Speed is horrid, so it's not perfect even in the Snow, but it has extremely dangerous coverage and Nasty Plot if you need it.

fairydisc.png

Fairydisc (Returning) | Steel/Fairy | 200/100/125/100/125/50 | Prankster
Learns Metronome and that's basically it
this thing is way too iconic to leave in gen 8. also it sucked there so i gave it another move

falcola.png

Falcola (New!) | Poison/Flying | 80/70/70/80/140/60 | Well-Baked Body
Notably learns Defog, Whirlwind, Sludge Bomb, Hurricane, Roost, Gelatinize
Here's the resident special stat stick of the mod. It's pretty passive, needs Boots, and doesn't have a huge movepool, but you do have those stats and a Toxic immunity, which is all nice. Helps that basically every team in the mod is either balance or bulky offense but on second look, I'm not certain this thing will have enough to make it stand out.

fauxster.png

Fauxster (New!) | Water/Fighting | 120/120/40/40/40/90 | Anger Shell
Notably learns Wave Crash, Close Combat, Swords Dance, Liquidation, Drain Punch, Earthquake, Knock Off, Jet Punch, Polar Pounce, Inkbrush, Taunt
I kinda added this thing as a token fast boosting mon at first but eventually shifted focus to Anger Shell. This thing might be too fragile to even use it properly but hey, even if that doesn't work out we've still got a Swords Dance user with some very strong STAB moves and one of the dumbest priority moves. Kinda like Urshifu-Rapid if its coverage options didn't suck.

fluidrake.png

Fluidrake (Returning) | Water/Steel | 105/70/100/75/95/80 | Poison Touch
Notably learns U-Turn, Knock Off, Scald, Flash Cannon, Spikes, Ice Beam, Hydro Pump, Inkbrush
Those of you who play Restrictions know exactly what this thing does. Now you have Poison Touch Inkbrush, which has a ~75% chance to poison! Kinda weird having a second Water-type fatmon that can start an effect to chip down opponents through contact moves but I feel these two are different enough, and this is payback for me not being able to add this version of Fluidrake to Gen 8 Duomod.

fluxtapestereo.png

Fluxtape-Stereo (Returning) | Fire/Electric | 110/129/100/95/80/86 | Rock Head
Notably learns Flare Blitz, Wild Charge, Earthquake, Dragon Dance, Rapid Spin, Bulk Up, Volt Switch
The only Fakemon popular enough to be a finalist for "best original design" in Gen 8 Pet Mods apparently. It got more change to its sprite than its functionality between Gen 8 and Gen 9 Duomod, possibly because it's perfect just the way it is. For those of you who did not play Gen 8, this thing has an unusual Speed tier for a Dragon Dance user but can still make use of it very well. Otherwise it's a strong breaker that needs Boots and has crazy enough of coverage to not care much about most answers. Just needs to watch for Baloon, Hydread, and Mountough.

gargitect.png

Gargitect (New!) | Rock/Dragon | 115/115/115/75/75/15 | Supreme Overlord
Notably learns Blue Shell, Stone Edge, Dragon Hammer, Knock Off, Swords Dance, Stone Axe, Earthquake, Accelerock, Flare Blitz, One Trillion Arrows, Curse, Body Press
This was a Pokemon I told myself I would design with a random image generation. I really tried my best to make what they gave me work lmao. Gargitect is by far the slowest Pokemon in the mod but has a solid defensive profile, a cool ability, and a strong offensive presence. Supreme Overlord has a pretty cool dynamic with Blue Shell but I may have coded it wrong lmao. You have priority in Accelerock but I might regret giving it that, we could have a Valianch situation on our hands where this thing just spams strong priority rather than working as a wallbreaker.

gelsius.png
gelsiushundred.png
gelsiussubzero.png

Gelsius (New!) | Water | 75/75/75/105/105/105 | Conduction (Once per battle, the user changes form if it uses an Ice-type or Fire-type move)
Gelsius-Hundred | Water/Fire | 75/55/95/105/125/85 | Only usable mid-battle after using a Fire-type move
Gelsius-Subzero | Water/Ice | 75/55/75/125/85/125 | Only usable mid-battle after using an Ice-type move
Notably learns Scald, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Blizzard, Ice Beam, Will-o-Wisp, Chilly Reception, Calm Mind, Recover, Lava Plume, Hydro Pump, Gelatinize, Pharaoh Shot, Remote Mine
Here's a Water-type that you can change mid-battle to improve a matchup against a certain team or fill in some other gap your team may have. You're very limited and might have a set specialized to a certain form, so it may not end up playing out that way, but the option's there if you run something simpler like Scald / Fire Blast / Ice Beam / Calm Mind or something. You could run Hundred form defensively but it's probably not amazing.

hydread.png

Hydread (New!) | Ghost/Dragon | 95/77/110/77/95/57 | Obrusive (The Roulette Wheel cannot activate while the user is active)
Notably learns Night Shade, Will-o-Wisp, Recover, Rapid Spin, Thunder Wave, Hex
What initially seems like an awkward typing actually ends up having an okay amount of use here. Still not amazing but better than standard. Otherwise it's just kind of a whatever defensive Rapid Spin user though. Has little to actually threaten its opponents outside of all three statuses, but that is a pretty nice thing to have.

jewelode.png

Jewelode (Returning) | Rock/Fairy | 80/61/80/116/80/116 | Neutralizing Gas
Notably learns U-Turn, Power Gem, Moonblast, Teleport, Defog, Stealth Rock, Energy Ball, Flash Cannon, Healing Wish, Pharaoh Shot, Incense, Hyper Wind
This thing also plays extremely similar to Gen 8. Just a general offensive pivot with ability blocking and a lot of random stuff you can do with it. Typing is undeniably going to be a step down from Gen 8 when it had one of the best in the mod, so its stats got a fair boost to compensate.

kuribandit.png

Kuribandit (New!) | Dark/Flying | 90/60/110/110/60/60 | Magic Absorb (The user is immune to all non-Flying status moves and heals 25% of its max HP upon being hit by one)
Notably learns Dark Pulse, Nasty Plot, Agility, Calm Mind, Defog, Air Slash, Hyper Wind
Resident stallbreaker, here's Kuribandit. It still does not like Haze or Clear Smog but things like Toxic, Roar, and Thunder Wave do not bother it thanks to its ability. I specifically added the Flying limitation so this thing wouldn't block Defog but might go back on that, in hindsight it might actually be cooler if it could do that. This is also the intended abuser of Hyper Wind, which is why it doesn't have Hurricane. You have a very powerful STAB move that cannot miss, but is it worth handing over the hazard game to your opponent?

mantelec.png

Mantelec (New!) | Bug/Electric | 70/120/30/70/170/70 | Sword of Ruin
Notably learns Zing Zap, Leaf Blade, Swords Dance, Lunge, Earthquake, U-Turn, Exo Bash, Poison Jab, One Trillion Arrows, Shadow Scratch
Coincidentally, right after the Hyper Wind abuser in alphabetical order comes the Exo Bash abuser. I haven't actually calced the base power of the move here but base 30 Defense should be low enough to make the move strong, especially against targets with low base HP. Just checking now though, I didn't give that many Pokemon low base HP so I could give them a higher Defense stat, so I'm gonna need to go back and change that unless the move is better than I'm expecting. I don't remember why I gave this thing U-Turn but hey, there you go I guess.

mountough.png

Mountough (New!) | Ground/Fighting | 90/120/120/70/90/44 | Heatproof
Notably learns Mach Punch, Earthquake, Close Combat, Stealth Rock, Poison Jab, Chilly Reception, Bulk Up, Knock Off, Drain Punch, Incense
Here's the resident bulky Ground of the meta. You get Stealth Rock, Incense, Knock Off, pivoting, and can run Bulk Up if you want to take this thing in that direction. Pretty standard otherwise. I also made this thing before Great Tusk was dominating OU, so it's cool to see that I ended up making something so similar.

noxinobi.png

Noxinobi (New!) | Poison | 70/120/70/70/70/110 | Unstable Claws (If the user's Dire Claw attempts to inflict a status, the user's type changes to match)
Notably learns Dire Claw, Wild Charge, Zen Headbutt, Bulk Up, Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Inkbrush, One Trillion Arrows, Polar Pounce, Shadow Scratch
There's not many new Pokemon I made explicitly to be gimmicks while ignoring competitive viability like Catelax or Spirox-A from last gen, and I wanted there to be at least one here, so I added Noxinobi. This thing is based on the same kind of animal as Toxapex but is a ninja. Something like that can only exist as a stupid concept, so it's too fitting for this to be the gimmick mon. You can change your type to Electric, Psychic, or back to Poison, but have zero control over it. Kinda like Terastallizing except not good at all.

pokat.png

Pokat (Returning) | Grass/Normal | 90/70/110/100/130/20 | Sticky Starch (If any opponent attempts to use a pivoting move, it fails and they get trapped for one turn)
Notably learns Synthesis, Giga Drain, Will-o-Wisp, Lava Plume, Knock Off, Body Slam, Incense
This thing's typing sucks so much without Flash Fire that I felt the need to give it an absurdly broken ability. Trapping also was very inconsistent in Gen 8 Duomod but this might end up being a legitimate trapper. Some specially offensive pivots are designed to lose to this thing, and its stats are insanely beefy overall. You also cannot use U-Turn to break it since even the attacking portion of the move is blocked, and the ability exists as a failsafe for Shed Tail as well since that's a pivoting move. Pretty crazy but not all pivots lose to this so I doubt pivotspam cores will be dead from this.

sanbatter.png

Sanbatter (New!) | Ghost/Fighting | 95/95/65/80/80/35 | Respawn Punisher (If the user knocks out an opponent or targets one that is switching in, they gain a 1.3x boost to all attacks)
Notably learns Drain Punch, Poltergeist, Close Combat, Mach Punch, Shadow Sneak, Swords Dance, Bulk Up, Iron Head, Shadow Scratch, Belly Drum, Blue Shell
Pretty sure everyone knows how strong Ghost/Fighting STAB is at this point, especially when you're backed with Iron Head as an option against Baloon. If you switch out against this thing or let it get a kill, it gets a Tough Claws boost to all of its attacks until it's forced out. I'm unsure what the best set for this Pokemon will be but it has enough variety in its STAB moves and boosting options to the point where I think it'll find something to do no matter what.

shroominesce.png

Shroominesce (Returning) | Grass/Electric | 60/60/60/120/120/75 | Electromorphosis
Notably learns Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, Giga Drain, Energy Ball, Agility, Moonblast, Moonlight, Defog, Discharge, Outburst
Another rare case of a Pokemon largely unchanged by the transition to Gen 9. Electromorphosis is a cool ability I guess, and Outburst might help make Agility sets more viable since knocking something out with it removes its drawback, but that's really about it. Stats got slightly changed but it shouldn't be too relevant for its primary role.

spirox.png

Spirox (Returning) | Steel/Ghost | 70/90/120/100/120/100 | Draw Four (If the user knocks out an opponent, it will learn all of its moves. The user cannot learn more than 12 moves)
Notably learns Shadow Ball, Flash Cannon, Nasty Plot, Will-o-Wisp, Recover, Thunderbolt, Volt Switch, Calm Mind, Infernal Parade, Doom Desire, Make It Rain, Memento, Trick, Spikes, Hex, Haze, Night Shade
Spirox has fittingly always been the jack of all trades, and that continues into Gen 9. This Pokemon should be able to cover any defensive or offensive role it wants to in a broad sense, but it will be missing some of the tools to make it dominant in any invidivual role. I went back and forth between this and redesigning it to match how it played in another Gen 8 Pet Mod since it was a really cool top tier there, but I also wanted to give it a move-learning gimmick like Spirox-A had before and felt it'd be best to keep the jack of all trades idea for that.

temporand.png

Temporand (New!) | Ground/Psychic | 95/75/75/95/95/95 | Purifying Salt
Notably learns Scorching Sands, Calm Mind, Recover, Stealth Rock, Haze, Psychic, Psyshock, Air Slash, Dazzling Gleam, Trick, Earth Power, Pharaoh Shot
Purifying Salt is a really cool ability, and here's a mon it fit right onto. Losing a weakness to Ghost and Toxic is great for this kinda mon, and you're able to run CM or Stealth Rock sets if you want. It does have two pretty appropriate moves to punish stuff that targets its lower defensive stat as well, as it's the only Pokemon with a viable Scorching Sands in the mod and possibly the best Pharaoh Shot abuser.

treemu.png

Treemu (Returning) | Grass/Flying | 77/110/77/54/136/34 | Protean
Notably learns Leaf Blade, Knock Off, Bolt Beak, Brave Bird, Dual Wingbeat, Roost, Defog, ExtremeSpeed, Shadow Scratch
genuinely do not know what i was thinking when i gave it protean after deciding it would have bolt beak and extremespeed but i'm keeping it because it's funny
goddem lmao
goddem lmao x2
This is something I feel pretty strongly about. While you could definitely figure out what they all are, a part of the magic that comes from playing Duomod for the first time is getting to learn what all can happen yourself. It's not like knowing anything about it gives any specific advantage outside of more general strategy that you wouldn't know without playing the mod anyways. If you want to know what all the Roulette Wheel can do, play the mod!
Now for some random, still important stuff...
Be sure to watch this thread for updates! I have a lot of exciting stuff mapped out for the future.

Last edited:

DuoM2

whao
Well, the tournament's starting! With that I feel like now's a good time to mention that I've made a few balance changes since that opening post. This meta was REALLY rushed for SV's release which I did not make it in time for, and all things considered I don't think I did a bad job with balancing. There were a few major issues but they weren't too difficult to fix, although there could easily end up being more as the meta gets played more and people realize that "umm actually Sprongle is way too broken for this meta and if you don't nerf it right now then it'll ruin everything." There's some bugfixing I did too but it's mostly not relevant. The game's not gonna crash now, cool.
antestar.png

Antestar | 18/120/44/95/112/131 -> 18/120/24/95/112/131 (Def lowered by 20).

Might just seem like a straight-up nerf, right? Well, not really. This was mostly to make Exo Bash stronger, but also should be nice for enabling Innards Out for randbats. Not like you were really letting it take physical hits in any other situation...

baloon.png

Baloon | Queen of Roulette can no longer be removed from the user. No longer learns Fire Punch, now learns Drum Beating.

Movepool change is for an issue I'll get to later, ability change because it's annoying having it get swapped for Defeatist and just kill the fun of this Pokemon.

bittle.png

Bittle | 85/85/85/85/85/85 -> 90/90/90/90/90/90 (All stats raised by 5). No longer learns Spikes.

So this thing ended up not feeling that great before in my limited testing, and I didn't really like Spikes being on something designed to be splashable. Felt it'd be best to axe Spikes and give it better stats to compensate. Even beyond the obvious bulk increase being cool, Gigaton Hammer hits like a truck too and it's nice to get a boost for that, albeit a minor one.

cephalopire.png

Cephalopire | Host Absorb no longer works against Good As Gold or Magic Absorb.

Cephalopire felt really stupid in my once again limited testing. I may have been overestimating it, but the nerfs were ultimately just to let more Pokemon work as answers to it. Kuribandit in particular actually heals every time you hit it with a contact move but it does need to watch for Nuzzle. I don't know what kind of crack I was on thinking I might or might not let it seed opposing Grass-types, that would've been kinda dumb even if still possible to balance.

chemiclysm.png

Chemiclysm | 90/60/70/80/120/30 -> 100/80/80/80/120/30 (HP, Def raised by 10, Atk raised by 20).

I'll bring it up here because it was a big issue I had with this mod. Steels really did not feel like they served much of a point, practically every mon either had coverage for them or were just able to weasel their way past stuff like Chemiclysm here. This had a chain reaction where suddenly it felt like basically every defensive core was inadequate because they lacked a stable backbone. Honestly really feel stupid for missing this, this was an issue I had in Gen 8 but I should've thought about this even in the limited time I had. There were a few Pokemon whose coverage I reduced to try and give them a bit more purpose, and the bulk increase also felt necessary to make it so you couldn't just smack it around and win effortlessly.

commanto.png

Commanto | No longer learns Dark Pulse, now learns Knock Off.

I wanted to give this Pokemon more incentive to run physical sets in standard since its Sp. Atk is higher and has straight-up better coverage. Hydread is this thing's biggest answer and Knock Off has a ton of utility, so there you go.

eneryth.png

Eneryth | 73/51/51/111/73/171 -> 73/51/51/121/73/171 (Sp. Atk raised by 10).

This thing felt like cheeks to use before and still kinda does. I heard people not like it in Expansions and didn't remember if that was because it was broke or what but I wanted to be safe despite adding several Grounds that answer it by default. Even still it has to deal with things like Zap Plate Bittle and Shroominesce completely halting it from making any sort of progress, with the latter especially feeling like a massive threat right now. Expect another buff in the future, just didn't want to push it too far in case the meta develops in a way I'm not expecting.

escarglace.png

Escarglace | 50/70/110/140/70/40 -> 50/70/110/160/70/40 (Sp. Atk raised by 20).

Meant to be a low-risk low-reward version of your Mega Swampert or Venusaur for this meta, but it felt a bit too low-reward for my liking. It's forced to run Boots so its power really felt underwhelming. Kinda like Eneryth, this one still might be due for some minor buffs, but it's definitely the better of the two Pokemon in my eyes.

fairydisc.png

Fairydisc | Not yet implemented, but Prankster will soon work against Dark-types and Dazzling.

For such a meme Pokemon it kinda sucks that this thing gets completely halted in some situations. Makes it impossible to see the fun of it and kills the admittedly limited use it'd have as a catch-all in randbats. I haven't coded it yet but will very soon.

fauxster.png

Fauxster | 120/120/40/40/40/90 -> 120/120/55/55/55/110 (Def, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def raised by 15, Speed raised by 20).

I did not mean to make this thing as fragile as it was before. There's a lot of things I'll be blaming on time crunch but that one was just an accident, plain and simple. What wasn't an accident was that I also made this thing way slower than it really should've been. I honestly might've overbuffed this one though. Only time will tell.

fluxtapestereo.png

Fluxtape-Stereo | Torch Song works now

I forgot to code Torch Song. Really though, I wanted to mention Fluxtape-Stereo being on the radar. This thing was broken in Stypes, broken in Gen 8 Duomod before nerfs, and it might be broken now. Really is kinda crazy. It does get hard stopped by Hydread, Baloon, and Mountough, but matchups where those three are absent are very easy for this thing. Doesn't help that Baloon is a very volatile Pokemon as well, it's really not a sturdy answer to this even if it definitely can work.

gargitect.png

Gargitect | 115/115/115/75/75/15 -> 75/125/155/75/85/15 (Atk, Sp. Def raised by 10, HP lowered by 40, Def raised by 40). No longer learns Heat Crash, Flare Blitz, Earthquake.

Lots of changes here. This thing was one of the easier Pokemon to rework to being weaker against Steel-types, so I got rid of some coverage knowing it still has Superpower and One Trillion Arrows as at least options. I also boosted its Attack a bit to compensate. The bulk also got shifted around for two reasons. I wanted to raised its physical bulk and lower its special bulk to pronounce its intended strengths and weaknesses as a Pokemon, and I also wanted to make it a bit weaker against Exo Bash because that move had too few direct targets. This Pokemon definitely wasn't bad before the changes and doesn't feel bad even after them in my opinion.

gelsius.png

Gelsius | Conduction can no longer be removed from the user.

Self-explanatory bugfix.

hydread.png

Hydread | 95/77/110/77/95/57 -> 75/57/130/77/95/57 (Def raised by 20, HP, Atk lowered by 20). Now learns Shadow Ball. Obtrusive now only works for the first 3 turns the user is active.

Thing felt pretty good from when I used it, so I wanted to do a similar thing as I did with Gargitect, but more directly as a nerf. I don't want this thing to be top tier because of its ability. Shadow Ball was an oops that I meant to give it before.

jewelode.png

Jewelode | 80/61/80/116/80/116 -> 80/61/80/126/70/116 (Sp. Atk raised by 10, Sp. Def lowered by 10). Now learns Ice Beam, no longer learns Energy Ball, Pharaoh Shot.

Another Pokemon I wanted to be worse against Steels. Compensated here with a stat buff and Ice Beam to replace Energy Ball in such a way that now hits Pokat as well. It matched up fine against the meta's main bulky Water anyways. This thing feels quite good in the current meta - I'd watch out for it for sure if playing against one.

kuribandit.png

Kuribandit | 90/60/110/110/60/60 -> 60/60/140/110/80/60 (Def raised by 30, Sp. Def raised by 20, HP lowered by 30).

Bulk is effectively the same, just reworked to make it weaker to Exo Bash.

mantelec.png

Mantelec | 70/120/30/70/170/70 -> 130/120/10/40/110/70 (HP raised by 60, Def lowered by 10, Sp. Atk lowered by 30, Sp. Def lowered by 60).

By far the most extreme looking changes but these too are for Exo Bash. This is its primary abuser and I wanted to show that, this thing's gonna really sting when that move hits you now.

noxinobi.png

Noxinobi | 70/120/70/70/70/110 -> 65/125/65/65/65/135 (Atk raised by 5, Speed raised by 25, HP, Def, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def lowered by 5). One Trillion Arrows, Low Kick removed.

I was really hasty with balancing this thing because I kinda had to rush to decide what this thing would even do in the meta. I didn't do the worst job I could've but this thing just felt way slower than it needed to for such a mediocre offensive type. Now it's the fastest offensive mon in the mod, and I think it's great for that title! This also is to boost fat Steels and I think having the best mon against offense struggle the hardest against fatter teams is nice.

pokat.png

Pokat | 90/70/110/100/130/20 -> 60/60/140/90/160/20 (Def, Sp. Def raised by 30, HP lowered by 30, Atk, Sp. Atk lowered by 10).

All of this is for Exo Bash. Making this thing's stats more Toxapex lookin is kinda funny too given it's freaking Pokat, just look at him

spirox.png

Spirox | 70/90/120/100/120/100 -> 70/70/130/100/130/100 (Def, Sp. Def raised by 10, Atk lowered by 20).

Minor minor bulk increase to give it more outright defensive use just in case everything else for fat Steels wasn't enough.

treemu.png

Treemu | 77/110/77/54/136/34 -> 77/120/77/54/136/34 (Atk raised by 10). No longer learns Bolt Beak.

And we end the main section off with Treemu, who was also changed to make Steels better. Kinda similar to Noxinobi here, this thing's already really powerful against offense for its special bulk and STAB ExtremeSpeed so it felt very natural to change.

Shadow Scratch now lowers the target's Defense if it does its minimum damage. Fits the reference it's based on and also makes the move less easily punishable.

One Trillion Arrows was boosted from 40 BP to 75 BP. A move like this would have no place on defensive Pokemon and would be too weak for offensive ones, so now it's a weak coverage option with a really good side effect for the latter.

Polar Pounce was boosted from 80 BP to 90 BP. Just felt nicer to be honest.

Remote Mine was boosted from 130 BP to 180 BP. Yeah it was kinda stupid to make it so low to begin with, might still be too low honestly. I thought it'd be nice as like a last move on a mon with a Choice item that would have nothing to click anyways, but this move still had way too little reward. Compare the 130 BP from this to 110 from Fire Blast, it's kinda sad.
As a final mention - Duomod Inverse, Duomod Camomons, and Duomod Two Spins are now playable with randbats counterparts and will be removed after the tour ends, plus Duomod CC1v1 was added with intentions of staying! To those of you in the tournament, I wish you the best of luck!

DuoM2

whao
So uh, here's something a little bit unprecedented for Solomods.

Duomod submissions are open! (sorta)

One of my favorite things about last gen's Duomod tour was that it let more people contribute to the mod through rng chance letting people make parts of a new Pokemon. Call me an egotist but I feel like Duomod has been one of, if not the most important Solomods, and I like letting other people be a part of it in some way. Rather than letting that come about through a random chance, I'm letting people submit a Fakemon through one of two conditions...

- Get to semifinals in the tournament
- Win one of few slots through a form if you didn't join / do well in the tournament

This isn't going to work like regular Pet Mods though. This is only going to be a one-time deal, I'm going to be deciding which sub wins, and there's a good chance I'll be making changes to your sub even if it wins. How many I accept depends on how many people in semifinals want to participate in this, I want to end up with 5 total across both. Please fill out this Google Form with as many details as you see necessary on your submission. There's a few rules and other details in the heading of this form, so please read that as well!

Deadline for this is Saturday, February 25th at 11:59 PM EST/GMT-5. If you need a bit more time, please DM me in advance and I might let you take a bit longer. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)