Pet Mod [Gen 8] CFM

Shall we relaunch CFM before or after the release of Gen 9?

• ASAP!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait until Gen 9

Votes: 15 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Typing: Dark/Grass
Stats: 95 ( -10) / 120 / 95 (-10) / 80 (+10) / 95 / 115 (-10)
Abilities: Intimidate / Grass Pelt (CFM: boosts Atk AND Def by 50% in Grassy Terrain)
Moves: False Surrender (CFM: Dark-type Focus Punch), Focus Punch, Knock Off, Night Slash (CFM: 100BP, 95% acc), Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Focus Blast, Weather Ball
Tweaks to existing moves/abilities
:
Jungle Healing: in singles - heals the user by 50% if they are status-free; otherwise, heals by 25% and cures status; if Grassy Terrain is active: always heals by 50%
How this makes it more interesting: Intimidate to reflect how it's supposed to be a scary mon with Grass Pelt and a Jungle Healing buff to make it super strong and quite bulky in Grassy Terrain. Fixed GF's errors and gave it some actual decent Dark-type moves to use and more options on the special side as well. Hopefully these changes would make it a more viable offensive threat in OU - albeit one that has to bring a Tapu Bulu along with it!

I got nothing, wtf is this thing

Typing: Water/Fighting
Abilities:
Base: Justified, Keen Eye
Resolute: Justified, Quick Feet
Stats:
・Base:
91 / 118 / 90 / 82 / 90 / 129 (BST: 600)
Resolute: 91 / 82 / 90 / 129 / 90 / 118 (BST: 600)
Moves: Zen Headbutt (CFM: 90BP, 100% accurate), High Horsepower, Darkest Lariat
・Base form no longer gets access to Sacred Sword, Secret Sword or Swords Dance (or maybe let it have SD, I think it would be too dumb though)
How this makes it more interesting: While the more common resolute Keldeo gets a nice +20BST, the base forme is now a speedy physical attacker! This makes for a fresh take on Keldeo's unused form and should be an interesting addition to the UU meta. It has more physical adoptions to complement an already pretty useful physical movepool with powerful STAB moves and nice options in Flip Turn and Aqua Jet. I decided to remove SD on the base form, since it would be "too good" with its defences, typing and speed.

Last edited:
Voting time!
Please pick and rank your favourite (up to 3) submissions; you can vote for yourself, but not as your first pick!

Stats: 105 / 130 (+10) / 95 (-10) / 70 / 95 / 105
Abilities: Intimidate / Anticipation / Leaf Guard
New Moves: Night Slash, Knock Off, Hone Claws

Ability: Parental Bond
Parental Bond: Boosts all damaging moves by 50%. For Mega Kangaskhan, attacks a second time for 50% damage instead.

Zarude is an interesting pokemon because it has so many things going for it competitively: great signature move, good STAB combo and typing, good stats. But it is also lacking a bit of power and its ability in vanilla is all but useless. Intimidate is Zarude is said to be feared by other Pokemon in the forest and frighten most other Pokemon, and gives it more defensive utility in a pivoting set. I figured 105/105 physical bulk was a little much so I moved a bit of defense to attack to help with that slight lack of power issue. Zarude also allegedly excels in combat with its sharp claws and wit, which are covered with Night Slash/Hone Claws and Anticipation. I think Anticipating your opponents moves reflects its wit, and with 7 weaknesses its one of the few Pokemon that could make consistent use of the ability (in CFM, Anticipation gives +1 speed if you switch in on an opponent with a super effective move). Night Slash (100 BP here) as well as Knock Off finally give it a much needed dark STAB stronger than Darkest Lariat. I also wanted to keep Leaf Guard because it is a guardian of the forest.
And onto the Dada version...I always thought it was pretty silly it was a purely cosmetic change. Parental bond makes way, WAY too much sense ("It's said that this Zarude derived unique strength from its bond to the adopted human child", "This Zarude's special strength stems from its love and care for an orphaned human child") besides the second hit, so I thought instead of scrapping the idea because of that detail it would be better to make the second hit exclusive to Mega Kang and just give Zarude an equivalent power boost. Dada would be clearly an Uber anyways (seriously, do some calcs with Gorilla Tactics and Choice Band to replicate the damage) but it doesn't have Seismic Toss or Super Fang anyways so none of those shenanigans would be an issue. Also we don't have to deal with whatever functional weirdness there is with a Parental Bond user with a Z-Move (yes, those are a thing in CFM) since only Mega Kangaskhan would get the multi hit and it obviously can't use Z-Moves.
Abilities: Intimidate / Grass Pelt (CFM: boosts Atk AND Def by 50% in Grassy Terrain)
Moves: False Surrender (CFM: Dark-type Focus Punch), Focus Punch, Knock Off, Night Slash (CFM: 100BP, 95% acc), Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Focus Blast, Weather Ball
:
Jungle Healing: in singles - heals the user by 50% if they are status-free; otherwise, heals by 25% and cures status; if Grassy Terrain is active: always heals by 50%
How this makes it more interesting: Intimidate to reflect how it's supposed to be a scary mon with Grass Pelt and a Jungle Healing buff to make it super strong and quite bulky in Grassy Terrain. Fixed GF's errors and gave it some actual decent Dark-type moves to use and more options on the special side as well. Hopefully these changes would make it a more viable offensive threat in OU - albeit one that has to bring a Tapu Bulu along with it!

Typing:

/

Stats: 105 (+5) / 75 (-5) / 68 (-12) / 145 (+65) / 100 (+20) / 107 (+27) (600 BST)
Moves: +Petal Dance, Shadow Ball, Teleport
Abilities: Unnerve
How this makes it more interesting: If that statline seems familiar it's because it's meant as a parallel to CFM Urshifu. With Celebi now being Grass/Fairy I felt free to make Calyrex adopt a similar function to it but with that Pokemon's original typing.
Stats: 105 (+5) / 80 / 85 (+5) / 100 (+20) / 105 (+25) / 105 (+25) BST: 580 (+80)
Abilities: Unnerve / Harvest / Flower Veil
New Moves: Teleport, Future Sight, Shadow Ball, Stun Spore, Spore
I noticed we had Harvest as a second ability already so I kept it, it could run a cool SubSeed set with Harvest especially with this speed buff and having > 100 HP. Speaking of the speed boost, it looks like it should be way faster than 80 speed to me and also needed some higher special stats. 100 special attack isn't great but its usable offensively and it could be a cool offensive pivot with Teleport or be a nice set up sweeper, which I'll talk about a little more later. 580 BST is equal to Spectrier and Glastrier, which I think is fitting.
Teleport and Future Sight are mainly because it needs more moves that demonstrate its great Psychic power, and they are both helpful. Shadow Ball for some more coverage, and Stun Spore/Spore/Flower Veil are there because...its a flower with a big spore looking thing.
While it can be a good SubSeeder or just a support mon with pivoting, status, recovery, and Future Sight support, or maybe even a choice user with Trick and Teleport, I think the coolest thing Calyrex can do with these buffs is a Stored Power sweeper. It already has access to Stored Power, Calm Mind, AND Agility, so it could use a bulky Calm Mind/Synthesis set with Kee Berry and Harvest or a more dedicated sweeper on a screens team or something with Calm Mind and Agility with Unnerve for a free turn of set up and Weakness Policy or a Harvest + Kee berry combo.
I didn't have any ideas for major changes but I think all these additions make it a MUCH more viable and versatile Pokemon with a lot of cool options.

Typing:

/

Stats:
Base: 91 / 118 / 90 / 82 / 129 / 90 (600 BST)
Resolute: 91 / 82 / 90 / 129 / 90 / 118 (600 BST)
Moves: +Ice Beam
Abilities:
Base: Justified
Resolute: Quick Feet
How this makes it more interesting:
Doing the Giratina routine of making the base form functionally distinct from Resolute, as the OP suggested. My route for that was to do a physical attacker that can take advantage of Keldeo's pretty good physical movepool.
Ability: Justified (CFM: This pokemon takes 50% less damage from Dark Type moves, and the higher of it's attack or special attack is raised by one when hit by a Dark Type move.)
Type:
Resolute:

/

Base:
Smart Strike - Steel-type

/
Brick Break - Fighting-type

Stats:

Resolute: 80/95/105/135/100/85 (600 BST)
Base: 83/138/79/121/63/116 (600 BST)
Moves:
Secret Sword Rework - BP 85 PP 10 Description: If the previous turn, this pokemon did not use Secret Sword, this move's power is raised to 105. If it has been used three or more times in a row, it's power decreases to 75.
+Iron Tail, Iron Head, Flash Cannon, Nasty Plot
-Hyper Beam

How this makes it more interesting: Keldeo now has distinct forms - A special set-up attacker and a glass cannon. Sacred sword now is somewhat special. If this is voted, please don't protect-spam Resolute.
Typing: Water/Fighting
Abilities:
Base: Justified, Keen Eye
Resolute: Justified, Quick Feet
Stats:
・Base:
91 / 118 / 90 / 82 / 90 / 129 (BST: 600)
Resolute: 91 / 82 / 90 / 129 / 90 / 118 (BST: 600)
Moves: Zen Headbutt (CFM: 90BP, 100% accurate), High Horsepower, Darkest Lariat
・Base form no longer gets access to Sacred Sword, Secret Sword or Swords Dance (or maybe let it have SD, I think it would be too dumb though)
How this makes it more interesting: While the more common resolute Keldeo gets a nice +20BST, the base forme is now a speedy physical attacker! This makes for a fresh take on Keldeo's unused form and should be an interesting addition to the UU meta. It has more physical adoptions to complement an already pretty useful physical movepool with powerful STAB moves and nice options in Flip Turn and Aqua Jet. I decided to remove SD on the base form, since it would be "too good" with its defences, typing and speed.

Voting until Sunday!

Thanks again for all of your votes, ladies and gentlemen! I'm delighted to announce the following winners:

:

Stats: 105 (+5) / 80 / 85 (+5) / 100 (+20) / 105 (+25) / 105 (+25) BST: 580 (+80)
Abilities: Unnerve / Harvest / Flower Veil
New Moves: Teleport, Future Sight, Shadow Ball, Stun Spore, Spore
I noticed we had Harvest as a second ability already so I kept it, it could run a cool SubSeed set with Harvest especially with this speed buff and having > 100 HP. Speaking of the speed boost, it looks like it should be way faster than 80 speed to me and also needed some higher special stats. 100 special attack isn't great but its usable offensively and it could be a cool offensive pivot with Teleport or be a nice set up sweeper, which I'll talk about a little more later. 580 BST is equal to Spectrier and Glastrier, which I think is fitting.
Teleport and Future Sight are mainly because it needs more moves that demonstrate its great Psychic power, and they are both helpful. Shadow Ball for some more coverage, and Stun Spore/Spore/Flower Veil are there because...its a flower with a big spore looking thing.
While it can be a good SubSeeder or just a support mon with pivoting, status, recovery, and Future Sight support, or maybe even a choice user with Trick and Teleport, I think the coolest thing Calyrex can do with these buffs is a Stored Power sweeper. It already has access to Stored Power, Calm Mind, AND Agility, so it could use a bulky Calm Mind/Synthesis set with Kee Berry and Harvest or a more dedicated sweeper on a screens team or something with Calm Mind and Agility with Unnerve for a free turn of set up and Weakness Policy or a Harvest + Kee berry combo.
I didn't have any ideas for major changes but I think all these additions make it a MUCH more viable and versatile Pokemon with a lot of cool options.

Typing:
/

Stats:
Base: 91 / 118 / 90 / 82 / 129 / 90 (600 BST)
Resolute: 91 / 82 / 90 / 129 / 90 / 118 (600 BST)
Moves: +Ice Beam
Abilities:
Base: Justified
Resolute: Quick Feet
How this makes it more interesting:
Doing the Giratina routine of making the base form functionally distinct from Resolute, as the OP suggested. My route for that was to do a physical attacker that can take advantage of Keldeo's pretty good physical movepool.

I think we might be hitting a point of slate fatigue so I think we'll hold for a couple of weeks or so. Thanks to all those who took part!

So, another update from me, ladies and gents - I spent a bunch of time last weekend trying to set up a custom client with a teambuilder to use with CFM. I used the DragonHeaven fork for this but unfortunately, it simply wasn't compatible with the Nephrite server. This was probably due to the DH code being older (around a year older) than ours - a consequence of the Showdown dev team basically rewriting their entire bloody codebase every few weeks or so. (You might recall how CFM was inactive for most of 2021 as I was stuck updating Nephrite to keep up with all their stupid breaking changes).

Since CFM is pretty inactive anyway, we'll go into a little hiatus for a few weeks or so - but when we come back, we should (hopefully) have a custom teambuilder, and get back into slating the last few Gen 8 mons we want to do before the start of Gen 9 :)

Last edited:
Hello again, ladies and gents! Apologies for the delay in posting, but we've been talking a little on the Discord about the meta. The truth is, there doesn't seem to be much point in relaunching it while Gen 9 is just around the corner and most of the hype seems centered around that. We therefore need to decide on whether or not to revive this meta either before or after then - but I'm leaning towards the latter.

What's more, there are quite a few changes that need to be made to the meta - I think we need an overhaul to make it simpler, which would remove a lot of minor and/or unnecessary changes. This is because some of the things that have really held us back are the work required for maintenance and the sheer scale of the meta which keeps newcomers away.

Of course, we also need to implement a custom teambuilder and a fully-functioning website. Even though the meta has been around for a while, due to work, personal issues and simply the amount of maintenance that's required to keep the meta functioning normally, I haven't had the time to do that yet.

So, what are your thoughts, guys? I'm keen to get working on this again, but shall we wait until Gen 9 for a relaunch? Or shall we aim for, say, the end of August?

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, all colours of the rainbow, finally some news! Apologies for the silence, I moved recently and have been adjusting to my new life abroad - and seeing someone very special to me for the first time since The Plague began. Anyway, just here to announce we've made a lot of small changes to CFM in preparation for the relaunch in Gen 9.

However, most of the changes we've made are in fact reversions of existing changes/buffs. We made these to remove a whole bunch of things that were deemed any of the following:
a) silly/unfitting (e.g. Normal/Ghost Noctowl)
b) unnecessary (e.g. changing Hydro Pump's BP back to 120)
c) potentially confusing for new players (e.g. all those moves that have a special effect when used by a certain mon, most complex bans)

A full list of the changes here:
Yanmega: reverted to Bug/Flying; loses access to Dragon Rush, Draco Meteor (but keeps access to Dragon Pulse, Dragon Dance, Outrage); gains Dual Wingbeat
Noctowl: reverted to Normal/Flying; no changes to movepool
Spiritomb: loses access to Dark Void; keeps access to Hypnosis
Flygon: readjusted stats to 80 / 110 (-5) / 70 / 95 (+5) / 70 / 110 (-5) (BST: 535 (-5)) - I felt it was just a little too fast and powerful; also swapped Compound Eyes for Keen Eye
Pinsir: +5 SpA/-5 SpD (for Moxie shenanigans)
Claydol: Removed Filter - its abilities are now Frisk / Sand Veil / Sand Force
Klink line: abilities reverted to vanilla (loses Technician) but Clear Body now in first slot
Legendary birbs (Kantonian + Galarian): reduced to 2 abilities:
AK: Ice Body / Magic Guard
AG: Competitive / No Guard (felt that Tinted Lens on 125 SpA with STAB Hurricane was a little much)
ZK: Static / Lightning Rod
ZG: Defiant / Sheer Force
MK: Flame Body / Flash Fire
MG: Berserk / Flare Boost
Crawdaunt: regains Night Slash, loses Protect; Guillotine banned in any tier below Ubers
Hydro Pump, Fire Blast, Thunder, Blizzard, Hurricane: reverted to 110BP; Hurricane no longer has increased accuracy when used by Fire-types in the Sun
Stealth Rock: base damage reduced to 1/16 max HP
Terrains: now same as in vanilla (EXCEPT Misty: boosts Fairy by 30% instead of weakening Dragon), except that 30% damage boost is for ALL moves, not just from grounded mons; secondary effects apply to either grounded mons OR mons with the appropriate surge ability
All moves with a (if used by X mon...) effect: includes 100% accurate Hypnosis on Hypno, Horn Drill being Fire-type on Rapidash, Whirlpool being 120BP on Kingdra, Sticky Web failing on non-Bug-types, Power Whip's 30% poison chance when used by Poison-types; Grumpig's Power Gem giving a 20% SpA boost ALL REMOVED EXCEPT: CARNIVINE'S SNAP TRAP, Unown's Hidden Power and Lickitung/Lickilicky's Lick
Psyshock/Razor Wind: no longer have a 10% chance to lower Def
Overheat/Leaf Storm/Draco Meteor/Sheer Cold/Horn Drill/Guillotine/Fissure/Rock Wrecker: now all vanilla Overheat clones (130BP, 90% acc, lower Attack or SpA by 2 depending on category) with varying secondary effects
Leaf Blade/Night Slash/Blaze Kick/Cross Poison all 90BP/100% accurate high-crit moves (with varying secondary effects)
・All competitive 95% accurate moves raised to 100% accuracy (except Jump Kick)
Crush Claw/Razor Shell: 80BP/100% accurate
Flash Cannon: reduced to 80BP, 10% chance to lower SpDef
Dark Pulse/Iron Head: reverted to 80BP, keep a 20% flinch chance
Darkest Lariat: reverted to 85BP
Fire Spin: reverted to its vanilla effect (i.e. no longer a Pursuit clone)
Gear Grind: 50BP/100% accurate, hits twice
Bounce: Reverted to its vanilla effect (Flying-types no longer skip the charge turn), but keeps the accuracy/PP boost to 100/15 respectively
Moxie : no longer gives a double boost upon knocking out a mon at over 75% max HP
Mega Launcher: boosts all special aura, pulse and cannon moves (includes Octazooka (Japanese name: "Octillery Cannon"), Techno Blast (special case), Flash Cannon, Fleur Cannon, Hydro Cannon, Zap Cannon)
King's Rock/Razor Fang: won't work on multihit moves at all
Mega Stones: can't be removed from their mon under any circumstances any more
TIERS + COMPLEX BANS: Blaziken: RU->OU, no longer complex banned
Serperior: ZU->UU, no longer complex banned
Rillaboom: RU->OU, no longer complex banned
Diggersby: ZU->UU, no longer complex banned
Arctozolt: NU->OU, no longer complex banned
Mega Blastoise: UU->Uber (see changes to Mega Launcher), no longer complex banned
All other complex bans removed except (tier indicates tier from which it's banned
JavaScript:
// abilities -
volcarona:        {tier: 'OU', ability: 'drought'},
mew:            {tier: 'OU', ability: 'illusion'},
cherrim:        {tier: 'UU', ability: 'flowergift'},
// moves
arceus:            {tier: 'Ub', move: 'hyperbeam'},
porygonz:        {tier: 'OU', move: 'hyperbeam'},
crawdaunt:        {tier: 'OU', move: 'guillotine'},

Again, mostly reversions, but we have made some actual changes including:
Mega Launcher: boosts "cannon" moves like Fleur Cannon, Hydro Cannon and Zap Cannon as well now - which is why Mega Blastoise has been moved to CFM Ubers!
King's Rock/Razor Fang: no longer work on multihit moves; while I disagree with the idea of removing these entirely, as they're just dumb, low-chance garbage items, they are incredibly cancerous paired with Skill Link - so this has fixed that issue
Stealth Rock: base damage reduced to 1/16 HP; even after cutting the base damage to 1/12 and its distribution, this move continues to be annoying - maybe now it will be just a little less so
Legendary Birds: now have two abilities (one regular + one HA) in order to be consistent with all mythicals/legendaries in CFM; thus removed the weather abilities from the Kanto trio that also made two of them extremely broken (Drizzle Zapdos & Drought Moltres)

That's all for now! More updates coming soon, including hopefully some updates to the functionality of the site...

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
One month until the release of Gen 9... should we re-release the pet mod the day after or wait until, say, December?

By the way, working on a custom teambuilder now
I’d advice we wait until middle December, when most of the new Pokémon are tested and played out rigorously.

We won’t want to rush out buff or nerf for the new Pokémon, moves and Abilities just because of first impressions.

So, this will be my last update before the launch of Gen 9. I'm working on a new site and server at the moment that will (hopefully) include a custom teambuilder, thus fixing the biggest hurdle to getting into CFM (besides the sheer complexity of the damn thing).

I hope to have the mod relaunched by the end of December whereupon we will immediately have a whole generation of mons to start slating! Until then, we'll also be making some minor tweaks to new mons for the sake of balance and/or compatibility with CFM - you can join those discussions here in our Discord server.

Thanks to everyone who took part in the slates, joined the Discord server, and played the best Pet Mod (I've) ever made. See you all next generation!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)