Gen 7 (Gen 7 Monotype) Poisonous Posse (Mono-Poison Offense)

Muk.png
Crobat.png
Venu1.png
GINGAR.png
NidoKing.png

Introduction

For starters, this team is a bit immature. I only had around a month to tinker with it on the ladder, so the EVs/Natures are probably not as good as they could be. Still, for someone with no real Gen 7 experience, I was surprised by how effective this team was, after some tweaks. I peaked at around 1400, but then dropped my rating messing around with another monotype team before Gen 7 was removed from the ladder. I'm pretty proud of how this team turned out though, so if anyone has any move-set or stat distribution suggestions, I'm all ears. I know some of my team-building choices will seem a bit sub-optimal but they've all served me very effectively, and it's a very nice feeling doing well with a relatively novel set. All in all, this is one of the most enjoyable teams I ever made, and I'm glad I finally found something I like that's not Gen 1. I'm really disappointed Gen 7 got removed from the ladder, but if anyone ever wants to, just challenge me over PS and I'll show you this team in action.

Teambuilding Process

Good as a generic lead, lays the ever important T-spikes and rapid spins away opposing hazards. Obviously Toxapex is the standard choice, but this fills a different role, and I think fits this team a bit better. Plus, Tenta is one of my all time favorites.

I knew that I would need an answer to psychic types, and you could't make a better one than this. Not only is it immune to psychic, it's got a boatload of SpDef. and no weakness to the usual Focus Blast coverage. That, combined with a nice attack stat, good coverage moves, and good utility makes it a necessity on Poison monotype.

Originally, this spot was occupied by Weezing in order to effectively combat strong physical attackers by burning them. However, that set became a bit too passive for my taste, so I messed around with Crobat until I ended up with a pretty wonky, but effective set. It can best be described as a fast defensive pivot with stallbreaking potential with Super Fang + Flynium Z Brave Bird 2HKOing a lot of bulky pokemon despite no attack investment. Also serves as a nice emergency stop to pokemon like Volcarona due to its speed and nuking potential./FONT]

Pretty self-explanatory, just a super fat mon that is almost impossible to kill without rare Psychic/Flying type attacks. Would be effective with only Giga Drain, Leech Seed and Synthesis, so HP Fire was chosen for extra Scizor insurance. Just one of the best defensive mons, with a decent offensive presence to boot, and pairs amazingly with toxic spikes. Another essential mono-Poison member.

You probably couldn't design a better Choice Scarfer, with good speed, amazing Special attack, some of the best coverage, and even a good defensive typing. Losing levitate hurts, and Nihihlego can be better for sweeping with Beast Boost, but a Ghost STAB move is essential for the Psychic matchup. Also, again just one of my favorite mons.

Although it's amazing on paper, Nido is definitley the most hit/miss pokemon on the team. Its power is awesome, and paired with it's coverage makes it almost impossible for enemies to switch in safely (except funnily enough, Mega Venusaur.) A super powerful special wallbreaker is nice, but I find myself wishing it was just a little more bulky, or a little faster. I'd consider switching to Nidoqueen if the power drop isn't too noticeable.

The Poisonous Posse

Gif.gif

NSFW (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge

Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Confuse Ray
- Toxic Spikes

Alright, so here it is. I am pretty sure this will be the pokemon I catch the most grief for, just because Toxapex exists, but they do different things and I vastly prefer Tentacruel. This set is pretty self-explanatory, Scald for chip/burn, Rapid Spin to remove hazards on my side without disrupting the T-spikes I laid down, and Confuse Ray to punish slower mons or aggressive switch ins. Tenta is much more of a traditional "lead", and therefore, while a bit luck based, Confuse Ray helps quite a bit, though if someone has another suggestion for that move slot I'd listen. Of course, the much better physical bulk and recovery move of Toxapex seems alluring, but it's very passive and invites in some dangerous pokemon. I prefer Tenta for it's better Special Attack, much better speed, and ability to preserve T-spikes, not to mention it's slightly more specially bulky without investment. I originally ran Haze + Icium Z, but that set is pretty much entirely outclassed by Pex. Additionally, I had Rain Dish thinking it would improve my rain team matchup, however that was very niche, and the prevalence of Swift Swim Ground types on Water/Rain (Swampert or Seismatoad) meant that Tenta wasn't stalling out anyone, so the ability to annoy and disrupt the likes of Celsteela, Whimsicott, and Mega Venusaur is preferable.

Goop (Muk-Alola) @ Assault Vest

Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature

- Shadow Sneak
- Knock Off
- Fire Punch
- Poison Jab

This is very standard so I'm not going to talk about it a lot, but it's absolutely essential for Poison mono to function. STAB Knock Off is always great, Poison Jab is great coverage for Grass/Fairy types and has a 51% chance to poison with Poison Touch, Fire Punch is essential for Steel coverage, and Shadow Sneak is a decently powerful priority move that makes the Psychic matchup possible for this team. Just all around a very nice and useful pokemon. With AV, obviously it can be worn down pretty quickly but it almost always accomplishes something useful. Being able to pass Wishes to it would be awesome but I don't think there's a viable one to be had on Poison. Oh, also just a great special attack sponge. Obviously very weak to Earthquake, but that's where the next mon comes in...

CroGif.gif

GYAHHHHH (Crobat) @ Flyinium Z

Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature

- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Super Fang

Voila. Another set I think people will yell at me for, but it's worked super well for me so far. Obviously Brave Bird is a great STAB with good neutral coverage, U-Turn is great for chip, and Roost allows me to regain health on passive mons (and can be used to mitigate Flying type weaknesses, which is Niche but useful and pairs nicely with T-Spikes). Super Fang is where it gets weird though. Obviously it takes 50% off a switch in, which combined with Crobats passable defenses, great typing, and healing move, allows it to stall out a ton of pokemon who are poisoned. Additionally, due to its absurd base power, Flynium Z+ Brave Bird KOs a huge amount of pokemon after a Super Fang (and plenty before too), allowing me to make quick work of otherwise difficult pokemon such as Mega Venusaur or Volcarona. Defog would be nice as Secondary hazard removal but I don't see what I'd remove. Again, this set has worked super well for me, the only thing I'd change is perhaps the Speed EVs if someone is more familiar with what tiers are important to hit.

venugif.gif

Monsanto (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite

Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature

- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

Another bog standard choice. It's fat, has a good amount of resistances and essentially only two weaknesses (Psychic and Flying, pretty rare offensive types outside of their monotype teams) with Thick Fat, so it just comes in and sits on stuff, chipping and recovering with Giga Drain, Leech Seed and Synthesis. I used to have Sludge Bomb, but there's enough Poison moves on this team, and HP Fire is much better coverage for troublesome Steels (not to mention opposing Grass/Poison types) so I chose it. I'm not entirely sure on the EVs, just the sample Smogon set, but I've had no problems so far. Even with no investment Giga Drain can hit pretty hard, and it is essential for those Swift Swimming Water/Ground types, not to mention the plethora of other types 4x weak to Grass (like Rock/Water and Ground/ Rock.) Just an amazing pokemon, great with T-spikes, and can 1v1 an astounding amount of the metagame.

gingif.gif

HantreMn (Gengar) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature

- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

Every team needs speed control, and outside of Alolan Muk's priority, this is pretty much it for this team. However, it is so good that it doesn't matter. Trick is for troublesome walls (Cresselia, Chansey, Defensive Gligar, etc.), and considering Gengars high base speed still allows it to be potent after it loses its Choice Scarf. Sludge Wave is the most powerful and common move, devastating pokemon that don't resist it, while Shadow Ball is essential for the Psychic matchup, and Thunderbolt is obviously for Bulky waters, flying types and good neutral coverage. I know Focus Blast is the standard, but the accuracy is too iffy for a pokemon that is mostly revenge killing and preventing threats from ripping through the entire team. I chose a Modest Nature because I figured it had enough speed, and could use the extra power, but I don't know the Calcs or Speed tiers so I'd definitly run a +Speed nature if someone could provide evidence for doing so. Just again, an all around awesome, consistent mon. Doesn't hurt that it's one of my favorites.

Reptar GIF.gif

HALT I AM REPTAR (Nidoking) @ Life Orb

Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature

- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave

Despite appearances, REPTAR has been a bit disappointing. Its power is pretty much unmatched, but it can't really switch in, and it's just a little too slow most of the time. It usually only nabs a KO before getting revenge killed. Still though, that can usually be all the team needs. The coverage that Ice Beam and Flamethrower provide alongside the STABs is amazing, so outside of bulky normals Mega Venu is pretty much the only pokemon that can wall this out. Not much else to say about it, it's a great wallbreaker that can switch in on weaker Rock type attacks. Again, I'd consider other options here, most notably Nidoqueen who I know is a little slower/weaker but has much better bulk. Again, any input there would be great.

Threat List

Now, again I haven't had time to face every team out there, so I'm probably missing some, but these are the notable ones so far.
1. Choice Scarf Latios: If it weren't for Alolan Muk, Scarf Latios would 6-0 this team with Psyshock. Therefore, Muk is essential to preserve against offensive Psychic teams. That can be very difficult with Sash counter Alakazam, so I have to play those teams very carefully.
2. Landorus T: This guy just messed me up. E-quake OHKO's 4 members of my team, and if it has Flying type coverage takes care of Mega Venusaur no problem. My best bet is hitting it on the switch, or getting Crobat to surprise KO with Brave Bird. So far I've managed to play around it, but savvier players would give a nightmare with it. It's made me consider running HP Ice on Venu.
3. Rain Teams with Pelliper: The last notable thing that gave me a lot of trouble were Rain teams with a Ground type sweeper and Pelipper as the rain setter instead of Politoed. Pelipper must be eliminated (or crippled with Trick) for this team to have a chance. Once it's gone, Mega Venu usually doesn't have a problem, though Sap Sipper Azumarill can be annoying.

Conclusion

First and foremost, thank you if you've read this far! This team has a lot of effort put into it and I appreciate any and all help I can get. It's I guess a mostly offensive team, though certainly not frail, and it has enough tools to deal with dangerous opponents. It's really surprised me with how effective it can be, and made me realize that Mono-Poison is really quite viable, due more to the synergy between the pokemon than anything else. But yeah thanks for reading, if anyone wants to battle, just PM me, and ditto if anyone wants to use it.

NSFW (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Confuse Ray
- Toxic Spikes

Goop (Muk-Alola) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Knock Off
- Fire Punch
- Poison Jab

GYAHHHHH (Crobat) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Super Fang

Monsanto (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

HantreMn (Gengar) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

HALT I AM REPTAR (Nidoking) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave

Attachments

Last edited:

Conflux

big boy diamonds
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, cool team. I got a few suggestions.

Major Changes
Tentacruel -> Toxapex

:tentacruel: -> :toxapex:
Toxapex is superior to Tentacruel in almost every way, it's just slower and weaker which is fine because it's used for its bulk and utility. It's bulkier than Tentacruel and has access to Recover, and an amazing ability in Regenerator, giving it more freedom to pivot in on attacks. It can set up Toxic Spikes as well so you're not missing out on that, only thing it can't do that Tentacruel can is Rapid Spin, which isn't a big deal since Crobat can Defog.

Minor Changes

Muk

:muk-alola:
AV was a thing early gen but that set is kind of outdated. Curse+Recycle with Figy Berry and Gluttony is a better set and can be very problematic for some types to deal with. Unlike the AV set, this variant can come in on attacks more consistently as it has a form of recovery in Figy Berry, and can be a dangerous setup sweeper with Curse.

Crobat
:crobat:
Since you're running Flyinium Z you should make the set max Speed and max Attack to fully take advantage of the Z-Move's power. I also suggest Defog + Taunt over Super Fang and U-turn to remove hazards and prevent the opponent from setting up their own hazards or using status moves.

Nidoking
:nidoking:
You lack Stealth Rock on the team so I suggest dropping Sludge Wave for Stealth Rock. It's a Poison team anyway so you're not really desperate for Poison coverage anyway.

:ss/crobat::ss/venusaur-mega: :ss/gengar: :ss/nidoking: :ss/muk-alola: :ss/toxapex:
[click on the sprites above for importable]

Hope my suggestions help you out, and good luck with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)