Gen 5 Ratio Format Conception and Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Main Goal/Design Philosophy:​
I've only gotten into competitive battling recently, however I've been having a great blast jumping around generations and tiers, however, one thing that strikes me about lower power-level Pokémon is how they usually are unique in that they can possibly do, but you don't get to see them shine since they generally get out classed in important aspects of higher power meta games. I want to see a format where it's incentivized to use some of these lower powered Pokémon in their best way possible, and just to see how some Pokémon would fair when broken free of their tier constraints, so I thought up a Ratio Format.

If you are familiar with the Marvel vs Capcom 2 Ratio Mod, then it's quite similar to the idea of that: you can have whatever Pokémon or items on your team, however, the more powerful they are, the more they cost. This means you could spend a lot of points making you favorite Uber lean Deoxys-S with Choice Scarf, yet that would leave you having to dumpster dive for the rest of your team, or you could make your team less centralized around one giant OU-Uber mon.

Simple Rules Outline:​
  1. Battle Rules Are Similar to Uber- Basically no evasion boosting moves, sleep clause, species clause, endless battle clause, or OHKO moves.
  2. You Must Have a Full Team of 6- You must have 6 Pokémon on your team,. This is basically to avoid people running like 3 Ubers and nothing else.
  3. Ratio System
    1. Each Team Has 255 Points to Work With
    2. Pokémon Have Individual Costs Based on Tier and Hypothetical Team Application (I'll get into that later)
    3. Items Have Individual Costs Based on Universal Usefulness vs Situational Use
    4. A Pokémon's Cost Can Be Reduced by Lowering Their Level
    5. A Pokémon Can't Be Worth Less Than 10 (Even if you lower it's level)
    6. Abilities Like Shadow Tag and Moody Are an Additional Cost (in Moody's case, exorbitantly so)
This is a link to the full sheet of the costs for every mon and item:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_ShY9b4nJ6palFBJvKNqAt18Nm9MEpvyMBrlMkFtmNI/edit?usp=sharing
Keep in mind that just because a Pokémon is top tier in one format, doesn't mean that they are your top choice in every scenario (I don't think a LC sweeper will work too well against a team of mostly RU and possibly OU Pokémon).
I made sure to up the points on all Baton Passers to max for their respective tiers for obvious reasons.

Update Feb 2023: Changed a handful of values of certain Pokémon and notably added an additional cost to abilities like Swift Swim, Chlorophyll, and Sand Rush, as well as adjusted item cost.
I'm currently also split on whether or not to put an additional cost to weather abilities like Drought, Drizzle, Sand Stream, and Snow Warning, and if so what the respective values of each should be, since having endless hail is slightly less potent than having endless rain or sand.

Last edited:
I should also add, I know the final extreme of this idea is "Why not put a value for all moves and abilities?" however, I'd like team building to be relatively simple as to not be a headache to make teams with.

I've done some play testing with some friends and so far it does seem like just one of the best strats is to run an UU or OU beat stick with lower tier support Pokémon. I was making a sun team with Vulpix as my Drought mon, and by the end I had like 70 points left, so I invested the rest into a Kyurem-Black, and after the most simple of simple set up (barely weakening the other team then finding a free switch in to substitute KB) it'd usually just end with me sweeping with Outrage.

This is definitely something I think counterplay can be made for on more balanced teams.

Last edited:
Here the team I mentioned above:
Mozella (Vulpix) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Roar
- Foul Play

PinapplePizza (Exeggutor) (F) @ Rose Incense
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 200 HP / 58 SpA / 250 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Solar Beam
- Leech Seed
- Psychic
- Substitute

Ken (Hitmonlee) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Brick Break
- Sucker Punch
- Bulk Up

3 Big Guys (Magneton) @ Quick Claw
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

ToadallyAwesome (Palpitoad) (M) @ Tamato Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Scald

Bane (Kyurem-Black) @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Substitute
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage
- Ice Beam

As a side note, it makes me very sad you can't run Hitmonlee with Unburden AND Egg Moves on one set this gen (I.e. no Unburden plus air balloon plus Rapid Spin support) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)