Gen 1 [Gen 1 OU] Uno Dos Tres - Hyper Offense

Uno Dos Tres
:y/Articuno::y/Zapdos::Y/Moltres:
:Tauros::Exeggutor:
/:Chansey::Onix:
https://pokepast.es/762fcd1ae92dc7a3 / https://pokepast.es/4f7b242bdebbd9fb

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Before I break down this team I want to give some opening thoughts, I am a firm believer that RBY still holds a lot of exploration. Contrary to what some may believe, I feel that RBY is a bit matchup dependent, I feel that I experienced this through use of sample teams as well as my own. Apparently RBY OU is more of a defensive metagame, so perhaps this team might appear not strong to some. Regardless of all that, this is the team I have probably the most fun using. It also plays differently which can help keep the game more exciting. I encourage trying new ideas and such. Research, experimenting, and sharing are fun.
Although the birds have serious sweeping potential, they have a tendency to be hard walled by certain Pokémon (:Articuno: vs :Starmie:/:Jynx:/:Cloyster:/:Chansey:/:Lapras:, :Moltres: vs :Starmie:/:Rhydon:/:Golem:, :Zapdos: vs :Rhydon:/:Onix:/:Golem:/:Raichu:/:Jolteon:/:Electrode:), but once their team breaks through their counters, they can deal serious damage to the opposing team.
:y/Tauros:
Tauros
The anti-lead. This team has three sweepers and a wall breaker in either Ice Beam+Substitute+Sing+Softboiled Chansey or Exeggutor. Breaking through Starmie is very important for Articuon and Moltres to blast through opposing teams. So It's okay for Tauros to stay in and attempt to Body Slam Chansey. Hyper Beam has a chance to KO Jynx or bring it to extremely low health (be careful, some players may switch to rock-types). Earthquake hits Gengar hard, Gengar needs to win a speed tie and hit a 60% accurate move, meaning you have 1-.5*.6=.70 chance to hit it hard. Against Alakazam, it can be better to just switch to Exeggutor. Same situation for Lead Chansey. Blizzard is necessary for Rhydon. Body Slam and Hyper Beam are obviously staple moves. This team is strapped for space so Tauros as a lead makes sense. You have 3 powerful sweepers, two of which (Articuno and Moltres) can easily handle Snorlax and Tauros. Just as a warning, because Lead Tauros isn't used often, your team may be telegraphed to your opponent. Surprise is important when it comes to RBY OU. Which is why mons like Amnesia+Thunderbolt+Icebeam+Selfdestruct Snorlax can exist. Believe it or not, this is one of the mons I tend to use as sleep fodder.
:y/Exeggutor:/:y/Chansey:
Exeggutor/Chansey
Exeggutor is better than Chansey because it aids in the Rhydon matchup. It also aids in the huge weakness to electric types. It helps deal with special attackers and can help break through walls with a smartly timed Explosion. Psychic is necessary for damage output. Sleep Powder is obviously needed to incapacitate a Pokémon.
Stun-Spore is just there for support, perhaps it could use Double Edge, but Mega Drain will probably rarely be useful on this team, I think. Rest could be an option as well. Leech seed might be able to help add passive damage and bring teammates out of KO ranges. Exeggutor synergizes with Onix, as players will sometimes Earthquake expecting a revealed Onix on the switch.

Substitute Chansey can be used as a way to deal with Starmie and Incapacite a Pokemon. Snorlax isn't really as much of a threat when you have Articuno and Moltres to deal with it so you would need to choose what mon you sleep wisely. Substitute helps prevent hax and PP stall, which can allow you to freeze or stall out Starmies. Ice Beam can take out Rhydon, but it can't really switch-in to Rhydon safely. Chansey is obviously good at walling pretty much all special attackers. But breaking through walls is very important for this team which is why I believe a substitute set that has a decent chance to pull off freezes is the superior set for this team. Also, if you freeze a mon, you just have to be smart about using Fire Blasts. Fire Blast is still a great move.
:y/Articuno:
Articuno
Articuno is an amazing late game sweeper. It is probably one of the best in my opinion. Its Blizzard hits incredibly hard and deals with other late game mons like Zapdos and Rhydon. It deals a good chunk of damage to both Snorlax and Tauros. Tauros being another end game Pokémon. Agility is there for dealing potentially more damage before it faints on incoming Pokemon, or to help it sweep. Double Edge is chosen over Ice Beam as it needs a way to deal some damage to Chansey and Jynx. Hyper Beam is there to pick off Pokémon that Blizzard or Double Edge won't.
:y/Zapdos:
Zapdos
I used to hate running Zapdos because of its huge weakness to Rhydon. But with Exeggutor, I don't mind this weakness as much. Exeggutor is a very valuable teammate to Zapdos. Zapdos doesn't hit as strong as the other birds, but it can breakthrough certain Pokémon through its ability to run a mixed set along with paralysis. For example it can break through Chansey by paralzing it, and hoping to get a crit with Drill Peck or full paras. It's thunderbolt hits pretty hard and it helps to beat Slowbros which are very annoying to deal with. Zapdos can take on Starmie once it's teammates are down. Zapdos is unfortunately hard walled by Electric-types. Which is where its teammate Onix can come in and do whatever it wants.
:y/Moltres:
Moltres
Moltres is interesting. It's inaccurate, but still very powerful. Fire Blast does massive damage. Fire Blast burning Physical Attackers like Rhydon, Snorlax, and Tauros is very useful. Agility is there to ignore paralysis speed drops and to help deal extra damage if incoming Pokémon out speed it. Fire Spin is a very nifty tool for bringing attackers into KO ranges. For example you can use Firespin to bring Chansey into Hyper Beam's KO range, which makes Chansey less of a hard wall in my opinion. If your opponent's Pokémon is frozen, you can always use Fire Spin to scout the switch. Fire Spin does not unfreeze Pokémon. Fire Spin allows you to pivot safely into other birds. Fire Spin also lures in Sleeping Pokemon so keep that in mind. Although it has fragile typing, it is still a very nice asset to this team. I haven't tried swapping out this Pokemon with a Snorlax set, but that kind of defeats the purpose of trying to make three birds work.
:y/Onix:
Onix
What! Onix instead of Snorlax or Chansey!!!?? Ya. Onix helps keep your birds safe. It hard walls electric types, it absorbs explosions, is has access to bind, it encourages players to use Earthquake on Flying Types expecting a switch. Can Snorlax do that? No. Keep in mind that Onix hard walls Zapdos, a Pokemon that is considered a major threat. Onix can also Tank body slams. This may be one of the few teams to be able utilize Onix, as far as I know. Rock Slide is used over Toxic as a way to damage Zapdos, though it is still an option as it synergizes with Moltres. Explosion still does decent damage and because of Onix's speed, it can prevent healing as the turn ends when a pokemon faints. Its speed also gives it a better crit rate which does come in handy. Keeping your birds as healthy as possible is important so that they can run through teams once walls are removed.
Closing Thoughts
This is one of my favorite teams to use currently. Is it really strong? Do teams really need at least two of the big three to be viable? Hard for me to say, it's hard to tell if I'm winning just because of luck, surprise, or because people decide to go easy on me, etc. But Gen 1 involves a lot of mind reading and luck so I think this team is pretty viable. I think Onix deserves to be somewhere in the D- to C ranks. It has weirdo stats, but its been very useful to me. And I love finishing of teams with it. I find that very amusing.

What do you think? I like trying to make teams that are fun and interesting, so I hope that you might feel that it's interesting too.
Replays
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1783753355
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1783972963
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1784129163
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1784803259
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1785514165
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1785552440

Last edited:
You know I need to think about that. Rhydon might be able to be used, though I like having the option to use Bind for safe switch-ins. Bind is unfortunately inaccurate, but it has helped me before.
Alright Fair, I love messing with stuff I usually can't wait to use it! your getting 10/10 for a creative Build :smogonbird: :blobthumbsup:

Hi! I was intrigued by your post bc I also tried to make a lot of unusual rby builds work when I played it more often 10-12 yrs ago. Building w all three birds is definitely a challenge. Unfortunately, I feel like there are a lot of problems w both versions of this team that hopefully we can fix.

The egg version of the team simply loses to cloyster and lapras bar a lot of luck. This is unfortunate bc both of them hard counter articuno, ohko onix, 2hko the rest of your team, and are pretty good bull answers. Your only check in Zapdos cant switch in. The chanse version of them horribly struggles against rhydon instead, especially if tauros is sleep sacked/paralyzed/dead. Your team relies a lot on early game bull trades, especially against starmie (star is really hard to deal w as constructed), zam, and jynx. Psychics in general suck, as you prob have to trade a bird or hope egg isn’t worn down too much sleeping one of them.

building w both articuno and molt is hard bc they’re anti-synergetic. Both are late game sweepers walled by star and chanse. However, if cuno gets a freeze, you have to be super careful to not use Fire blast on obvious targets less you undo all of your hard work. Also, building w 2 less viable mons and including something like onix is just not possible. Building a competent rby team is almost impossible like this, as you just open up too many holes w the limited tools you have in your remaining slots.

my first recommendation is to drop onix and use something else. You can try to build w onix on a more std team imo but this isn’t it. You may be aware but a few years ago, a popular team that included 2 of the birds was :Gengar: :articuno: :Zapdos: :chansey: :Snorlax: :tauros:. This team has its flaws (like heavily relying on chansey and offense pressure to deal w psychics) but was functional and was really the only build ive seen use two of the birds. You really had to use Gar’s normal immunity to get the most out of it, bc your lax was often offensive and cuno can only take so many body slams. Another strategy involves abandoning chansey and using something like this: :alakazam: :snorlax: x :Zapdos: :tauros: :victreebel:.

I think a good place to start is realizing where the birds fall short and trying to sequence around that w your other three slots. The birds can trade w physicals and some special mons, but not forever. Every game against any remotely standard team (I’m sorry but the quality of your replays and rby ladder at 12/1300 is simply too low for me to put stock in your replays) is going to be an uphill battle w chanse on almost team and star being extremely common.

I think bull lead can work w this team, but I think you’ve probably become too cavalier w it. Tauros is your main physical mon and your best wallbreaker. Letting it get paralyzed or slept, especially if it needs luck to break through zam/star, I personally don’t think is the play. That said, I think the sing chanse version of the team is the best one — it gives you counterplay to ice-types and helps you survive against psychics. With tauros, you can probably get yourself into a position to sleep something early, hopefully starmie to open up your birds. I think the next change to try would be making one of your birds (articuno) more defensive, such as w a reflect rest set (hell ice beam blizz rest reflect isn’t bad) to give you some back up against tauros/snorlax. Rest cuno is by all means not the best long term bull answer, but it’s something and molt/cuno is pretty redundant. I’d keep zap/molt as is. For onix, there’s really a lot of things you could put there to help you. I personally think a snorlax of some kind would help a lot, trade w star/chanse/generally wallbreaking, but you still have issues w rhydon. Keep chansey an tauros healthy and unparaed, I guess? Another idea is to just use both chanse and egg, lead zap and try to get around it that way?

here’s a summary of my ideas, best of luck!

https://pokepast.es/50617f9adfdab0fd
https://pokepast.es/80b83482e6a378e2

Hi! I was intrigued by your post bc I also tried to make a lot of unusual rby builds work when I played it more often 10-12 yrs ago. Building w all three birds is definitely a challenge. Unfortunately, I feel like there are a lot of problems w both versions of this team that hopefully we can fix.

The egg version of the team simply loses to cloyster and lapras bar a lot of luck. This is unfortunate bc both of them hard counter articuno, ohko onix, 2hko the rest of your team, and are pretty good bull answers. Your only check in Zapdos cant switch in. The chanse version of them horribly struggles against rhydon instead, especially if tauros is sleep sacked/paralyzed/dead. Your team relies a lot on early game bull trades, especially against starmie (star is really hard to deal w as constructed), zam, and jynx. Psychics in general suck, as you prob have to trade a bird or hope egg isn’t worn down too much sleeping one of them.

building w both articuno and molt is hard bc they’re anti-synergetic. Both are late game sweepers walled by star and chanse. However, if cuno gets a freeze, you have to be super careful to not use Fire blast on obvious targets less you undo all of your hard work. Also, building w 2 less viable mons and including something like onix is just not possible. Building a competent rby team is almost impossible like this, as you just open up too many holes w the limited tools you have in your remaining slots.

my first recommendation is to drop onix and use something else. You can try to build w onix on a more std team imo but this isn’t it. You may be aware but a few years ago, a popular team that included 2 of the birds was :Gengar: :articuno: :Zapdos: :chansey: :Snorlax: :tauros:. This team has its flaws (like heavily relying on chansey and offense pressure to deal w psychics) but was functional and was really the only build ive seen use two of the birds. You really had to use Gar’s normal immunity to get the most out of it, bc your lax was often offensive and cuno can only take so many body slams. Another strategy involves abandoning chansey and using something like this: :alakazam: :snorlax: x :Zapdos: :tauros: :victreebel:.

I think a good place to start is realizing where the birds fall short and trying to sequence around that w your other three slots. The birds can trade w physicals and some special mons, but not forever. Every game against any remotely standard team (I’m sorry but the quality of your replays and rby ladder at 12/1300 is simply too low for me to put stock in your replays) is going to be an uphill battle w chanse on almost team and star being extremely common.

I think bull lead can work w this team, but I think you’ve probably become too cavalier w it. Tauros is your main physical mon and your best wallbreaker. Letting it get paralyzed or slept, especially if it needs luck to break through zam/star, I personally don’t think is the play. That said, I think the sing chanse version of the team is the best one — it gives you counterplay to ice-types and helps you survive against psychics. With tauros, you can probably get yourself into a position to sleep something early, hopefully starmie to open up your birds. I think the next change to try would be making one of your birds (articuno) more defensive, such as w a reflect rest set (hell ice beam blizz rest reflect isn’t bad) to give you some back up against tauros/snorlax. Rest cuno is by all means not the best long term bull answer, but it’s something and molt/cuno is pretty redundant. I’d keep zap/molt as is. For onix, there’s really a lot of things you could put there to help you. I personally think a snorlax of some kind would help a lot, trade w star/chanse/generally wallbreaking, but you still have issues w rhydon. Keep chansey an tauros healthy and unparaed, I guess? Another idea is to just use both chanse and egg, lead zap and try to get around it that way?

here’s a summary of my ideas, best of luck!

Thank you for your response. I'll be sure to study it and try out those two versions.

Cloyster and Lapras have been some difficult mons to deal with. For cloyster I try to deal with it using moltres, or a spam blizzard on it with Articuno.
Starmie is hard to take down, but I felt that was just par for the course.
I'll probably still use the onix version from time to time, but I want to improve, so I'll definitely try them out and see how differently they work.

I've seen a player argue that lead zap isn't a good idea, but they may be old opinions or something.

Sorry for the double post.
You can try to build w onix on a more std team imo but this isn’t it.
This bit I'm unsure about. I think the fact that we are running three flying type mons that are weak to Rhydon, that are weak to tbolts,
that also prefer to not be para'd, they kind of want mons to help keep them safe. Which is what Onix can provide. On a team with just two birds you probably don't need as much protection against electric, normal, and flying.
I can't currently think of a team that would appreciate onix as a pivot. Perhaps a team involving Slowbro. A team with with waters like Gyrados maybe?

I kind of like the fact that 3 birds, gives me a back up giant special attacker. Though, with 2 birds you can fit mons more easily.

Also, something I noticed, I think triple birds don't like Reflect Chansey that much. You have Zapdos, but it needs to crit.

On your Snorlax vairant, I notice that Snorlax can act as a bit of a pivot against other Snorlax as they may want to set up reflect or counter, both of which waste a turn if you switch into a bird.

I'm adding below a bunch of +2 bird teams to below.
Johnnyg2 Triple Bird Zapdos Lead Chansey Exeggutor
:Zapdos::Articuno::Moltres::Exeggutor::Chansey::Tauros:
Johnnyg2 Triple Bird Tauros Lead Chansey Snorlax
:Tauros::Articuno::Zapdos::Moltres::Chansey::Snorlax:
Triple Bird Tauros Lead Exeggutor Onix
:Tauros::Exeggutor::Articuno::Moltres::Zapdos::Onix:
https://pokepast.es/762fcd1ae92dc7a3
Triple Bird Tauros Lead Chansey Onix
:Tauros::Chansey::Articuno::Moltres::Zapdos::Onix:
https://pokepast.es/4f7b242bdebbd9fb
Double Bird Tauros Leed Onix Gyarados
:Tauros::Chansey::Articuno::Gyarados::Zapdos::Onix:
https://pokepast.es/b114fc9f17fb4f0b
Amaranth Double Bird (may be edited)
:Gengar::Articuno::Zapdos::Chansey::Snorlax::Tauros:
https://pokepast.es/001cfea191c47946
Double Bird Tauros Lead
:Tauros::Articuno::Zapdos::Exeggutor::Chansey::Snorlax:
https://pokepast.es/39477b90b3f85a30
Just to note all three birds have access to reflect while Zapdos has access to both Light Screen and Reflect. On the Onix + Birds team I prefer to just have agility, but it may be worth looking into. Hyper Beam may be an option on Zapdos for Jolteon. Bide on Zapdos seems like a meme pick, Rhydon runs Substitute, so it's probably not worth it.

Every team has their weaknesses, so it may be important to take note of what is being played on the ladder at the current time to run whichever variant will be more likely to succeed. Or whichever is more fun.

Here's some 1400 replays of triple birds+Onix, I mostly just have them to show how the team plays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1788398033 Chansey variant
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1787631899 Exeggutor Variant 1500+

I think the next time I make an RMT, I'll be sure to think about adding the team's weaknesses.

Edit: Just to note on the triple bird teams, Gyarados has coverage for dealing with both Rhydon, and Cloyster, so it could potentially replace one of the birds.

Last edited:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I get that this isn't really me critiquing your team, but... come on, I can't be the only one who saw this team and reminded myself of Greevil's team in Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness.
Hey, This is one of the coolest RBY Teams I've seen consisting of the 3 Birds. A question arises, why is Onix instead of the mainstay of Rhydon?
For the purpose of Bind shenanigans and higher Speed, I can get behind why Onix is used- but if you did replace it with Rhydon, that literally would be Greevil's team.

Tree69420

早上好中国、现在我有bing chilling!
is a Tiering Contributor
Uno Dos Tres
:y/Articuno::y/Zapdos::Y/Moltres:
:Tauros::Exeggutor:
/:Chansey::Onix:
https://pokepast.es/762fcd1ae92dc7a3 / https://pokepast.es/4f7b242bdebbd9fb

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Before I break down this team I want to give some opening thoughts, I am a firm believer that RBY still holds a lot of exploration. Contrary to what some may believe, I feel that RBY is a bit matchup dependent, I feel that I experienced this through use of sample teams as well as my own. Apparently RBY OU is more of a defensive metagame, so perhaps this team might appear not strong to some. Regardless of all that, this is the team I have probably the most fun using. It also plays differently which can help keep the game more exciting. I encourage trying new ideas and such. Research, experimenting, and sharing are fun.
Although the birds have serious sweeping potential, they have a tendency to be hard walled by certain Pokémon (:Articuno: vs :Starmie:/:Jynx:/:Cloyster:/:Chansey:/:Lapras:, :Moltres: vs :Starmie:/:Rhydon:/:Golem:, :Zapdos: vs :Rhydon:/:Onix:/:Golem:/:Raichu:/:Jolteon:/:Electrode:), but once their team breaks through their counters, they can deal serious damage to the opposing team.
:y/Tauros:
Tauros
The anti-lead. This team has three sweepers and a wall breaker in either Ice Beam+Substitute+Sing+Softboiled Chansey or Exeggutor. Breaking through Starmie is very important for Articuon and Moltres to blast through opposing teams. So It's okay for Tauros to stay in and attempt to Body Slam Chansey. Hyper Beam has a chance to KO Jynx or bring it to extremely low health (be careful, some players may switch to rock-types). Earthquake hits Gengar hard, Gengar needs to win a speed tie and hit a 60% accurate move, meaning you have 1-.5*.6=.70 chance to hit it hard. Against Alakazam, it can be better to just switch to Exeggutor. Same situation for Lead Chansey. Blizzard is necessary for Rhydon. Body Slam and Hyper Beam are obviously staple moves. This team is strapped for space so Tauros as a lead makes sense. You have 3 powerful sweepers, two of which (Articuno and Moltres) can easily handle Snorlax and Tauros. Just as a warning, because Lead Tauros isn't used often, your team may be telegraphed to your opponent. Surprise is important when it comes to RBY OU. Which is why mons like Amnesia+Thunderbolt+Icebeam+Selfdestruct Snorlax can exist. Believe it or not, this is one of the mons I tend to use as sleep fodder.
:y/Exeggutor:/:y/Chansey:
Exeggutor/Chansey
Exeggutor is better than Chansey because it aids in the Rhydon matchup. It also aids in the huge weakness to electric types. It helps deal with special attackers and can help break through walls with a smartly timed Explosion. Psychic is necessary for damage output. Sleep Powder is obviously needed to incapacitate a Pokémon.
Stun-Spore is just there for support, perhaps it could use Double Edge, but Mega Drain will probably rarely be useful on this team, I think. Rest could be an option as well. Leech seed might be able to help add passive damage and bring teammates out of KO ranges. Exeggutor synergizes with Onix, as players will sometimes Earthquake expecting a revealed Onix on the switch.

Substitute Chansey can be used as a way to deal with Starmie and Incapacite a Pokemon. Snorlax isn't really as much of a threat when you have Articuno and Moltres to deal with it so you would need to choose what mon you sleep wisely. Substitute helps prevent hax and PP stall, which can allow you to freeze or stall out Starmies. Ice Beam can take out Rhydon, but it can't really switch-in to Rhydon safely. Chansey is obviously good at walling pretty much all special attackers. But breaking through walls is very important for this team which is why I believe a substitute set that has a decent chance to pull off freezes is the superior set for this team. Also, if you freeze a mon, you just have to be smart about using Fire Blasts. Fire Blast is still a great move.
:y/Articuno:
Articuno
Articuno is an amazing late game sweeper. It is probably one of the best in my opinion. Its Blizzard hits incredibly hard and deals with other late game mons like Zapdos and Rhydon. It deals a good chunk of damage to both Snorlax and Tauros. Tauros being another end game Pokémon. Agility is there for dealing potentially more damage before it faints on incoming Pokemon, or to help it sweep. Double Edge is chosen over Ice Beam as it needs a way to deal some damage to Chansey and Jynx. Hyper Beam is there to pick off Pokémon that Blizzard or Double Edge won't.
:y/Zapdos:
Zapdos
I used to hate running Zapdos because of its huge weakness to Rhydon. But with Exeggutor, I don't mind this weakness as much. Exeggutor is a very valuable teammate to Zapdos. Zapdos doesn't hit as strong as the other birds, but it can breakthrough certain Pokémon through its ability to run a mixed set along with paralysis. For example it can break through Chansey by paralzing it, and hoping to get a crit with Drill Peck or full paras. It's thunderbolt hits pretty hard and it helps to beat Slowbros which are very annoying to deal with. Zapdos can take on Starmie once it's teammates are down. Zapdos is unfortunately hard walled by Electric-types. Which is where its teammate Onix can come in and do whatever it wants.
:y/Moltres:
Moltres
Moltres is interesting. It's inaccurate, but still very powerful. Fire Blast does massive damage. Fire Blast burning Physical Attackers like Rhydon, Snorlax, and Tauros is very useful. Agility is there to ignore paralysis speed drops and to help deal extra damage if incoming Pokémon out speed it. Fire Spin is a very nifty tool for bringing attackers into KO ranges. For example you can use Firespin to bring Chansey into Hyper Beam's KO range, which makes Chansey less of a hard wall in my opinion. If your opponent's Pokémon is frozen, you can always use Fire Spin to scout the switch. Fire Spin does not unfreeze Pokémon. Fire Spin allows you to pivot safely into other birds. Fire Spin also lures in Sleeping Pokemon so keep that in mind. Although it has fragile typing, it is still a very nice asset to this team. I haven't tried swapping out this Pokemon with a Snorlax set, but that kind of defeats the purpose of trying to make three birds work.
:y/Onix:
Onix
What! Onix instead of Snorlax or Chansey!!!?? Ya. Onix helps keep your birds safe. It hard walls electric types, it absorbs explosions, is has access to bind, it encourages players to use Earthquake on Flying Types expecting a switch. Can Snorlax do that? No. Keep in mind that Onix hard walls Zapdos, a Pokemon that is considered a major threat. Onix can also Tank body slams. This may be one of the few teams to be able utilize Onix, as far as I know. Rock Slide is used over Toxic as a way to damage Zapdos, though it is still an option as it synergizes with Moltres. Explosion still does decent damage and because of Onix's speed, it can prevent healing as the turn ends when a pokemon faints. Its speed also gives it a better crit rate which does come in handy. Keeping your birds as healthy as possible is important so that they can run through teams once walls are removed.
Closing Thoughts
This is one of my favorite teams to use currently. Is it really strong? Do teams really need at least two of the big three to be viable? Hard for me to say, it's hard to tell if I'm winning just because of luck, surprise, or because people decide to go easy on me, etc. But Gen 1 involves a lot of mind reading and luck so I think this team is pretty viable. I think Onix deserves to be somewhere in the D- to C ranks. It has weirdo stats, but its been very useful to me. And I love finishing of teams with it. I find that very amusing.

What do you think? I like trying to make teams that are fun and interesting, so I hope that you might feel that it's interesting too.
Replays
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1783753355
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1783972963
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1784129163
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1784803259
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1785514165
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1785552440
I like the idea but hyperoffense is extremely flawed in RBY and this is not it
Beyond tauros and fire spin hax, your team has no way of breaking opposing chansey. Onix makes no sense here because it hits like wet toilet paper and Bind does nothing when you're slower than half the meta, have negative accuracy, and no way of boosting speed; just double switch its way more consistent. Golem has a chunk more physbulk than onix, leagues more special bulk, and does actual damage (for reference, Onix Explosion is a roll to kill CATERPIE)
Starmie also wrecks your team, the only thing that threatens it is zapdos and against any mie/don/chans backbone you can't begin to make progress.
Triple bird is a funny thought but rhydon is one of the best progress makers in the game and they all can't even try to switch into it.
TL;DR: onix bad, chansey walls, mie walls, don rips apart, post elo

I like the idea but hyperoffense is extremely flawed in RBY and this is not it
Beyond tauros and fire spin hax, your team has no way of breaking opposing chansey. Onix makes no sense here because it hits like wet toilet paper and Bind does nothing when you're slower than half the meta, have negative accuracy, and no way of boosting speed; just double switch its way more consistent. Golem has a chunk more physbulk than onix, leagues more special bulk, and does actual damage (for reference, Onix Explosion is a roll to kill CATERPIE)
Starmie also wrecks your team, the only thing that threatens it is zapdos and against any mie/don/chans backbone you can't begin to make progress.
Triple bird is a funny thought but rhydon is one of the best progress makers in the game and they all can't even try to switch into it.
TL;DR: onix bad, chansey walls, mie walls, don rips apart, post elo
Onix staight up beats Zapdos and Jolteon, Jolteon being a pain to deal with. It outclasses Snorlax in on this kind of team imo. Since part of the birds niche is to take on the physical Normals. I find Bind very useful in providing safe swtich-ins. I am aware that team is not particularly strong, but it still can win.

Yes, Rhydon is very difficult to deal with, especially Rhydon + Cloyster. You have to make good predictions like switching into Onix to take Rock Slides, then using Bind to switch to a different Bird. The only way I've been able to deal with is with Tauros and pelting it with Fire Blasts.

Players can point out flaws in a mon, but they should not neglect the fact that they still do have strengths. No matter what Youtuber or whatever says. Sorry, if this portion comes off as rude, but I suspect that is what is swaying people's opinions.

Tree69420

早上好中国、现在我有bing chilling!
is a Tiering Contributor
Onix staight up beats Zapdos and Jolteon, Jolteon being a pain to deal with. It outclasses Snorlax in on this kind of team imo. Since part of the birds niche is to take on the physical Normals. I find Bind very useful in providing safe swtich-ins. I am aware that team is not particularly strong, but it still can win.

Yes, Rhydon is very difficult to deal with, especially Rhydon + Cloyster. You have to make good predictions like switching into Onix to take Rock Slides, then using Bind to switch to a different Bird. The only way I've been able to deal with is with Tauros and pelting it with Fire Blasts.

Players can point out flaws in a mon, but they should not neglect the fact that they still do have strengths. No matter what Youtuber or whatever says. Sorry, if this portion comes off as rude, but I suspect that is what is swaying people's opinions.
Bind is a do nothing move that literally only lets you pivot, and double switches accomplish this without a 75% accuracy check. There are some mons that are heavily flawed but still maybe worth using, such as Lickitung, Machamp, or Clefable, but Onix is not one of these. Onix is genuinely low tier trash below the level of Kadabra and Charizard.
FYI double switching is just a switch to catch another switch
Also if you hit top 20 ladder with this team I will retract everything I said

Bind is a do nothing move that literally only lets you pivot, and double switches accomplish this without a 75% accuracy check. There are some mons that are heavily flawed but still maybe worth using, such as Lickitung, Machamp, or Clefable, but Onix is not one of these. Onix is genuinely low tier trash below the level of Kadabra and Charizard.
FYI double switching is just a switch to catch another switch
Also if you hit top 20 ladder with this team I will retract everything I said
I doubt I could reach top 20 with this team, I can try with the team I posted in the VR rankings. I'd be extremely impressed if a player managed to get to top 20 with Lickitung or Machamp. Lickitung being worse than Onix from my experience.

Bind makes it safer to use than allowing a mon to heal up, set up, Sleep Powder, Or TWave. Bind does actually have occasions where it brings mons into KO ranges. Being able to counter Zapdos is nothing to scoff at.

I know some players will just see this as "arguing" over low tier mons, but I see that as halting progress.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)