Pet Mod [Gen 1] Burgundy Version - Slate 6: Back to Basics

Concept Name: Break the Mold!
Rationale: As some people may know, this is Stratagem’s concept, and the very first one to win in CAP history. However, I think it works in any metagame. Stratagem has been able to keep its place in the metagame despite power creep and overall meta shifts. If it sounds like I’m talking gibberish here, Break the Mold! strives to create a Pokémon that breaks the stereotypes of a typing. In Stratagem’s case, it became a fast, specially attacking Rock type. I believe there are many unique ways this concept can go, and I hope you choose this!

Concept Name: Take the Health Away
Rationale: This Pokémon utilizes the move leech seed in the RBY OU metagame. Leech Seed in RBY is only available to 2 Pokémon, Venusaur and Exeggutor, Egg would rather run Spore, and Venusaur is weak to the Psychic type, however, this Pokémon would use Leech Seed as it’s main move to wear down the glass cannons in the tier
Defensive Electric Type
;)

Concept Name: Spooky Ghost
Rationale: Ghost by RBY standards is amazing defensively. You're immune to fighting and normal (Outside of a select few moves), and you have one weakness that's irrelevant thanks to ghost types having nearly non existant stab. It would be cool to see a ghost type that's at the bare minimum decent in OU and doesn't suffer from a ground weakness. I highly recommend that it's stats should balanced for RBY standards since a ghost without a ground weakness would be HUGE.
defensive electric ghost anyone?

Concept: Unappreciated Typing
Rationale: There are some types in RBY that are clearly better than others. However, that doesn't make the other types useless. This concept would introduce a new pokemon that uses type(s) that are rarely seen in RBY. It would play into the benefits of the type while attempting to overcome some of the reasons why the typing is considered not that amazing.

Concept: 'autocrit move user'
Rationale: Fast attacker with crits. The RBY overlord has requesting this so I shall provide.
Screenshot 2023-01-30 181738.png

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
hi i will use the example

Name: Limber but not really
Rationale: Paralysis is a focal point of RBY and even allows lead strategies. However, what if we produced a Pokemon that's difficult to paralyze? This is normally achieved through typing among other bits; Normal or Ghost prevent paraslam, Ground makes you immune to TWave, Rest can technically remove it but not the Speed drop. Perhaps this could shake up T1 para or some Chansey interactions. Maybe even make something that could duel Snorlax and Rhydon more consistently. There's a lot you could work with here. However, nothing stops Glare or Stun Spore...so maybe Exeggutor may run Double Powder more often. Could even use Conversion to turn Normal-type against a STAB Body Slam user.

Name: Attacking Lead
Rationale: With sleep leads being dead here due to new sleep mechanics, most leads just click paralysis on the first turn. Even in normal RBY, every lead is a sleeper or a paralyzer. The closest that exists is Dodrio in UU.

gastlies

running up that hill
is a Pre-Contributor
The council notes that CAP submissions that are strictly focused on typing will not be accepted. We want unique and innovative ideas not just “good bug mon.”

Rationale: There are some types in RBY that are clearly better than others. However, that doesn't make the other types useless. This concept would introduce a new pokemon that uses type(s) that are rarely seen in RBY. It would play into the benefits of the type while attempting to overcome some of the reasons why the typing is considered not that amazing.
PalpitoadChamp On top of what I said earlier, this already exists (Sneasler) so I would recommend trying a new idea.

Concept Name: Spooky Ghost
Rationale: Ghost by RBY standards is amazing defensively. You're immune to fighting and normal (Outside of a select few moves), and you have one weakness that's irrelevant thanks to ghost types having nearly non existant stab. It would be cool to see a ghost type that's at the bare minimum decent in OU and doesn't suffer from a ground weakness. I highly recommend that it's stats should balanced for RBY standards since a ghost without a ground weakness would be HUGE.
CoralReaper707 Maybe instead of restricting yourself to a ghost focus on an aspect of the metagame that a ghost would be good against. For example “Tauros Check” or something more specific.

Concept Name:Tinted Lens
Rationale: A Dragon-type, able to exploit the brand new unresisted Draco Meteor, while still crippled by flaws
Turtlek This one is probably hardest to adapt since you have to be a dragon type to use Draco Meteor. Maybe specify what exactly it does with draco meteor, so that way we have a more specific concept. Is it a physical attacker that uses Draco Meteor to blast through Reflect Snorlax? Or does it go all in on the special side?

Concept Name: Master Status Machine
Rationale: A rather simple concept, make a Pokemon whose entire existence is to spread status moves and nothing else. This can be done by making the Pokemon have very high speed but pitiful attacks, and in exchange have access to moves that can cause sleep, poison, and paralysis in Sleep Powder, Toxic, and Thunder Wave. Alternatively, you can create a bulky Pokemon that uses it's high defenses and good typing to shrug off most common attacks while using its many status moves to cripple the team. This Pokemon would likely be pretty niche due to only being good for spreading status, but it spread status so good that it should be something to worry anout.

Concept Name: Sign away that signature
Rationale: A big flaw of RBY is that a few good moves, mainly the only good Fighting and Bug moves, are given to only one or two Pokemon. This concept has us design a Pokemon that uses one of those signature moves. This could leave some good concepts like a fast special grass sweep using STAB Petal Dance, which is essentially a weaker but longer lasting Outrage, with high speed allowing for a high crit chance. Give a bug type with decent attacking stats Twineedle, and maybe make it part rock or ghost to make it a niche but viable Normal and Psychic counter. Or you create a special attacking trapper with Clamp and a choice of a freezing or poisoning move. Here is a list of signature moves below on Bulbaleidia:
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Signature_move

Last edited:

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
Name: Para-Immune Set Up Sweeper (a.k.a. Ground-type Set Up Sweeper)
Rationale: Bar Slowbro (who still gets annoyed pretty badly) and Sandslash (niche mon), pretty much every viable set-up sweeper is deathly afraid of paralysis. This concept stops the concern of paralysis, as a Ground-type set up sweeper would discern this fear while still having flaws being open to abuse (i.e. weaknesses to Ice and Water, STAB attacks walled by smthn like Exeggutor). This could also open up the chance to see a viable Ground-type with an actually solid Speed tier, as the current viable Ground-types are rather slow, with the fastest being Sandslash at a rather below average 65 Speed. It would not need to heavily rely on paralysis to sweep while also being immune to paralysis itself. Very variable idea in my opinion.

Name: Gladiator
Rationale: Although many physical attackers exist in the tier, none of them have Alakazam-like coverage. This concept would create a physical attackers with a large toolkit in coverage moves.

Ema Skye

Work!
Sub review time.

Concept Name:Gotta fast!
Rationale: A Pokémon that is able to exploit Quick Attack with STAB and a high base attack, while being slow otherwise and having a low-mediocre speed.

Concept Name:Tinted Lens
Rationale: A Dragon-type, able to exploit the brand new unresisted Draco Meteor, while still crippled by flaws like shallow coverage. It would use Draco Meteor as its main option, while being able to break through blobs with High BP moves.
The first one is really underwhelming. If its Quick Attack is strong, I can't imagine what its Hyper Beams are like. This kinda sounds like 'what if we gave Snorlax Quick Attack'.

As for Draco Meteor one, we already have Dragonite who largely fills this already and I don't think it's wise to make 'Dragonite, but again'.

Concept Name: Tauros Check
Rationale: This Mon is mainly designed to check Tauros by resisting it's stabs or even being flat out immune to them (or at least be able to reliably tank those stabs), while also not crumbling to Blizzard, Earthquake, and the very rare thunderbolt. Something like a ghost type that isn't weak to ground would be nice, or maybe even just a Pokemon with Decent Bulk that stalls Tauros in a way similar to how Porygon stalls Snorlax.
Concept Name: Achilles Heel
Rationale: This Pokemon should idealy be something akin to Black Kyurem in ORAS OU. A Pokemon with uber level stats by RBY standards, but is only kept in OU because of it's crippling flaws. These flaws should be something like problems with it's movepool, a crappy typing, or even both.
A Tauros wall (I note your Porygon comparison) would completely reshape RBY and I don't think that's for the best with this mod. That mon would become a must include because if it walls Tauros, it walls virtually every physical attacker in the meta.

Achilles Heel already was done with Sneasler, and it still got nerfed

Rationale: As some people may know, this is Stratagem’s concept, and the very first one to win in CAP history. However, I think it works in any metagame. Stratagem has been able to keep its place in the metagame despite power creep and overall meta shifts. If it sounds like I’m talking gibberish here, Break the Mold! strives to create a Pokémon that breaks the stereotypes of a typing. In Stratagem’s case, it became a fast, specially attacking Rock type. I believe there are many unique ways this concept can go, and I hope you choose this!

Concept Name: Take the Health Away
Rationale: This Pokémon utilizes the move leech seed in the RBY OU metagame. Leech Seed in RBY is only available to 2 Pokémon, Venusaur and Exeggutor, Egg would rather run Spore, and Venusaur is weak to the Psychic type, however, this Pokémon would use Leech Seed as it’s main move to wear down the glass cannons in the tier
Break the mold is kinda interesting because there are a lot of archetypeal designs already with the types.

Leech Seed one is pretty mediocre because the bulk needed to "wear down the glass cannons" would need to be incredibly high and that's likely not good for the meta.
So initially I was thinking this is also already done by Sneasler, but I don't think Sneasler plays into the benefits of the typing (at least, its Poison typing). Could be worth exploring further.
Concept Name: A bewildering concept
Rationale: Out of all the status effects, I feel like confusion has been the most ignored. While it had some relevance with Machamp + No Gaurd Dynamic Punch in gen 4, overall the status effect has been ignored. With all other status effects gaining more and more relevance I feel like we should design a Pokemon that specifically abuses confusion. This Pokemon would most likely run Confuse Ray due to it's 100% accuracy and would also likely be using Counter so that in case the confusion doesn't work they still have a way to deal with physical attacks. This Pokemon would likely be a counter to powerful physical attackers like Taurus, Rhydon, among others so it would most likely be a physically empowered Rock or Ghost, though any type can work. Overall, while this Pokemon may not be flawless, it would offer a unique option to annoy and help chip away at annoying physical attackers.

Rationale: A big flaw of RBY is that a few good moves, mainly the only good Fighting and Bug moves, are given to only one or two Pokemon. This concept has us design a Pokemon that uses two of those signature moves. This can lead to some potent combinations. We could put someone important put to sleep with Spore then weakened sweep the team with Petal Dance. Use an always-critical hit Crab Hammer on a poisoned foe via Twineedle, use a combo of Twineedle and High Jump Kick to become a niche but viable counter to both Psychics and Normals, or use Hyper Fang to halve an opponent's HP after a squeeze from Clamp. For more info on the list of signature moves, check out the page below in Bulapeidia:
Confusion one is an immediate no from me. Confusion in RBY is a 50/50, unlike in other gens, and its incredibly matchup fishy as a move that covers all switchins (see UU Lapras and 7U Golbat). There have been calls for confusion to be banned from some RBY tiers just because confuse ray is so fishy to play around.

For the signature move one, I think it's interesting but I would limit it to one move instead of a pair. It's easier to build a mon around the one move than two of them as it helps focus design.

Rationale: Bar Slowbro (who still gets annoyed pretty badly) and Sandslash (niche mon), pretty much every viable set-up sweeper is deathly afraid of paralysis. This concept stops the concern of paralysis, as a Ground-type set up sweeper would discern this fear while still having flaws being open to abuse (i.e. weaknesses to Ice and Water, STAB attacks walled by smthn like Exeggutor). This could also open up the chance to see a viable Ground-type with an actually solid Speed tier, as the current viable Ground-types are rather slow, with the fastest being Sandslash at a rather below average 65 Speed. It would not need to heavily rely on paralysis to sweep while also being immune to paralysis itself. Very variable idea in my opinion.
This one is pretty cool. Sandslash has potential and so taking it but making it better is a good way to start. Helps address paralysis leads too.

Name: Gladiator
Rationale: Although many physical attackers exist in the tier, none of them have Alakazam-like coverage. This concept would create a physical attackers with a large toolkit in coverage moves.
I don't think this one really works and, to a point, it's already been done. Alakazam, even with TBs, runs Psychic+Stoss which is unresisted. For physical attackers, QuakeSlide is unresisted and a lot of mons have that combo. You don't need a lot of options if the core move pair does everything you need.

Subs will close in about 48 hours

Last edited:
Sub review time.

The first one is really underwhelming. If its Quick Attack is strong, I can't imagine what its Hyper Beams are like. This kinda sounds like 'what if we gave Snorlax Quick Attack'.

As for Draco Meteor one, we already have Dragonite who largely fills this already and I don't think it's wise to make 'Dragonite, but again'.

A Tauros wall (I note your Porygon comparison) would completely reshape RBY and I don't think that's for the best with this mod. That mon would become a must include because if it walls Tauros, it walls virtually every physical attacker in the meta.

Break the mold is kinda interesting because there are a lot of archetypeal designs already with the types.

Leech Seed one is pretty mediocre because the bulk needed to "wear down the glass cannons" would need to be incredibly high and that's likely not good for the meta.

So initially I was thinking this is also already done by Sneasler, but I don't think Sneasler plays into the benefits of the typing (at least, its Poison typing). Could be worth exploring further.

Confusion one is an immediate no from me. Confusion in RBY is a 50/50, unlike in other gens, and its incredibly matchup fishy as a move that covers all switchins (see UU Lapras and 7U Golbat). There have been calls for confusion to be banned from some RBY tiers just because confuse ray is so fishy to play around.

For the signature move one, I think it's interesting but I would limit it to one move instead of a pair. It's easier to build a mon around the one move than two of them as it helps focus design.

This one is pretty cool. Sandslash has potential and so taking it but making it better is a good way to start. Helps address paralysis leads too.

I don't think this one really works and, to a point, it's already been done. Alakazam, even with TBs, runs Psychic+Stoss which is unresisted. For physical attackers, QuakeSlide is unresisted and a lot of mons have that combo. You don't need a lot of options if the core move pair does everything you need.

I can edit my submissions to reflect those opinions if you want

Concept Name: Master Status Machine
Rationale: A rather simple concept, make a Pokemon whose entire existence is to spread status moves and nothing else. This can be done by making the Pokemon have very high speed but pitiful attacks, and in exchange have access to moves that can cause sleep, poison, and paralysis in Sleep Powder, Toxic, and Thunder Wave. Alternatively, you can create a bulky Pokemon that uses it's high defenses and good typing to shrug off most common attacks while using its many status moves to cripple the team. This Pokemon would likely be pretty niche due to only being good for spreading status, but it spread status so good that it should be something to worry anout.

Rationale: A big flaw of RBY is that a few good moves, mainly the only good Fighting and Bug moves, are given to only one or two Pokemon. This concept has us design a Pokemon that uses one of those signature moves. This could leave some good concepts like a fast special grass sweep using STAB Petal Dance, which is essentially a weaker but longer lasting Outrage, with high speed allowing for a high crit chance. Give a bug type with decent attacking stats Twineedle, and maybe make it part rock or ghost to make it a niche but viable Normal and Psychic counter. Or you create a special attacking trapper with Clamp and a choice of a freezing or poisoning move. Here is a list of signature moves below on Bulbaleidia:
Would be great!!
Sub review time.

Just replaced my first idea with something more unique, and changed the signature move concept with your suggestion, tell me how you like my new suggestions

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
Concept Name: Low BP Tech Move
Rationale: Kinda like how Jolteon can slot Pin Missile for Exeggutor, the goal of this concept is to make a fakemon that uses a weak move (probably without stab) for the unique coverage or secondary effect it might have. The options might be limited, but there are certainly interesting ways to make this concept work.

ItzaDelta

formerly I-Deepblue-I
Concept Name: Flinch Reliant Attacker
Rationale: A Pokemon that functions similarly to Stomp Tauros in the sense that it uses flinching moves to boost its odds in certain matchups and achieve certain ranges it wouldn't achieve otherwise, except, unlike Stomp Tauros, it's much more reliant on flinching away its checks to get kills. Ideally should rely on teammates for paralysis support.

Ema Skye

Work!
Thanks for being patient! Here is our voting lineup.

Concept: 'autocrit move user'
Rationale: Fast attacker with crits. The RBY overlord has requesting this so I shall provide.
View attachment 488099
Name: Limber but not really
Rationale: Paralysis is a focal point of RBY and even allows lead strategies. However, what if we produced a Pokemon that's difficult to paralyze? This is normally achieved through typing among other bits; Normal or Ghost prevent paraslam, Ground makes you immune to TWave, Rest can technically remove it but not the Speed drop. Perhaps this could shake up T1 para or some Chansey interactions. Maybe even make something that could duel Snorlax and Rhydon more consistently. There's a lot you could work with here. However, nothing stops Glare or Stun Spore...so maybe Exeggutor may run Double Powder more often. Could even use Conversion to turn Normal-type against a STAB Body Slam user.
Name: Attacking Lead
Rationale: With sleep leads being dead here due to new sleep mechanics, most leads just click paralysis on the first turn. Even in normal RBY, every lead is a sleeper or a paralyzer. The closest that exists is Dodrio in UU.
There are 5 options here. You can vote for all five, but only the option with the most votes will win and be the concept we build a fakemon around.

You can rank these options in whatever you want in a ranked ballot. Votes will go on for about 2 days.

Break the Mold
Autocrit move user
Limber but not really
Attacking lead
Para-Immune Set Up Sweeper

Last edited:
1. Limber but not really
2. Attacking lead
3. Para-immune setup sweeper
4. Break the Mold

Last edited:
Thanks for being patient! Here is our voting lineup.

There are 5 options here. You can vote for all five, but only the option with the most votes will win and be the concept we build a fakemon around.

You can rank these options in whatever you want in a ranked ballot. Votes will go on for about 2 days.

Break the Mold
Autocrit move user
Limber but not really
Attacking lead
Para-Immune Set Up Sweeper
Just curious, is there a reason you chose those specific choices

Ema Skye

Work!
Just curious, is there a reason you chose those specific choices
We prioritized concepts that we felt offered compelling design choices (either they offer something that doesn't exist in the game or they give the opportunity to perfect a flawed Pokemon) while still leaving significant space for individual creativity when we actually make a Pokemon in a few days.

There were a few that were very close to being slated and so feel free to resub them when we do another Fakemon slate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)