Online Competition Galar Beginnings

EDIT: Also you can't see your W/L record which is inconvenient. I think I went 10-5 though?
With 1629 points you should have more wins. In comparision: I went 9-6 and ended with 1534 points. The point calculation was always a bit weird, but I don't think the gap can be this large.

I assembled a non-optimal team from what I had as I haven't finished all my breeding stuff. In the competition I was surprised by the sheer amount of competitive teams. I thought I would encounter at least a few gimmicky fun teams. I mostly struggled with ditto and galarian corsola - these can be really annoying.

edit:
For info: I'm using G-Max Snorlax in my team (without testing it beforehand) and its really underwhelming. The berry restore effect from G-Max Replenish is not guaranteed (it seems it only has a 50% trigger chance). Also a figy berry in dynamax form restores health based on Snorlax base health not the dynamaxed health. So 33% healing is now only 16,5% healing.

Last edited:
With 1629 points you should have more wins. In comparision: I went 9-6 and ended with 1534 points. The point calculation was always a bit weird, but I don't think the gap can be this large.

I assembled a non-optimal team from what I had as I haven't finished all my breeding stuff. In the competition I was surprised by the sheer amount of competitive teams. I thought I would encounter at least a few gimmicky fun teams. I mostly struggled with ditto and galarian corsola - these can be really annoying.

edit:
For info: I'm using G-Max Snorlax in my team (without testing it beforehand) and its really underwhelming. The berry restore effect from G-Max Replenish is not guaranteed (it seems it only has a 50% trigger chance). Also a figy berry in dynamax form restores health based on Snorlax base health not the dynamaxed health. So 33% healing is now only 16,5% healing.
I agree with you about the points I also went 9-6 and ended on a similar score (1541). Could have been 12-3 if I didn’t miss my dracos, I used it 9 times and only hit once the entire time.

Considering I haven’t played competitive Pokemon properly since gen 6 I’m quite happy with my result since I NEVER play 3v3 singles. I’d also like to strangle the pokemon company just for my absolute awful luck within these 15 games. Corsola‘s curse body was 100% on me, I only hit 2 will-o-wisps and not only that I chose a lot of my team specifically for taking Care of Dracovish ... I only saw one. If it wasn’t for my dragapult winning a Couple speed ties I would have lost my mind.

So if I understand Max Moves and G-Max Moves correctly, any buffs, debuffs, HP recovery, trapping, and status conditions will all specimens on the respective side of the field, right? So for example, G-Max Malodor would poison both opponents, G-Max Finale would heal Alcremie and its ally, and Max Airstream would increase speed by one stage for both the user and ally, right? And would this also expand to G-Max Chi Strike's effect of increasing the crit ratio by two stages? If so, does that (and/or the other buffs/debuffs) take place before or after the actual attack?

I also will admit I'm quite confused of what the effect is for the G-Max moves for Charizard, Centiscorch, Sandaconda, and Coalossal. Maybe for G-Max Centiferno and G-Max Sandblast, they replicate the effects of Fire Spin and Sand Tomb, respectively, and for both specimens on the opponent's side. Meanwhile, for G-Max Wildfire and G-Max Volcalith, they don't trap the opponents, but retain their damage-over-time effect even if the opponent switches. And for the former two moves, would they potentially be affected by the Binding Band and Grip Claw?

EDIT: Would it be a bad idea for moves that don't acknowledge stat changes, such as Darkest Lariat or Sacred Sword, to only acknowledge the user's debuffs and the target's buffs? I think they acknowledge any and all stat changes, and only for the target, so maybe it'd be a bit better if the moves worked the way I was thinking. Maybe Unaware should work similarly?

So if I understand Max Moves and G-Max Moves correctly, any buffs, debuffs, HP recovery, trapping, and status conditions will all specimens on the respective side of the field, right? So for example, G-Max Malodor would poison both opponents, G-Max Finale would heal Alcremie and its ally, and Max Airstream would increase speed by one stage for both the user and ally, right? And would this also expand to G-Max Chi Strike's effect of increasing the crit ratio by two stages? If so, does that (and/or the other buffs/debuffs) take place before or after the actual attack?
From what I have seen so far both Max Moves and G-Max Moves affect both pokemon in doubles and the effect is guaranteed for Max Moves but not guaranteed for G-Max moves. That makes most G-Max moves actually worse than the Max Moves. So regarding your examples Max Airstream increases always the speed for both pokemon, but G-Max Malodor, G-Max Finale and G-Max Chi Strike only have a chance to trigger their effect. The effects take place after the attack, but everything gets recalculated in combat. So after a Max Airstrike from your dynamaxed pokemon your second (slower) pokemon receiving the speed increase can then outspeed the opponents pokemon in the same round.

I went 13-2 and was somehow briefly #10 in the standings, which really surprised me. That was right when the competition started though and when I checked later last night I was down to #53, and I'm sure I've dropped much further now

I almost feel bad about it because most of those wins were just from leading with Gyarados and dynamaxing immediately and getting a clean sweep. This was my first time ever really playing 3v3 singles so it was nice to get so lucky with a team I cobbled together from what I had ev trained

That's really depressing! I've been using Showdown for my latest team idea (Dubwool -> Hatterene -> Snorlax) and really just crushing team after team.

But some of my wins would be losses if the Showdown behavior of restoring 33% of boosted HP and always giving a berry are wrong.

That's really depressing! I've been using Showdown for my latest team idea (Dubwool -> Hatterene -> Snorlax) and really just crushing team after team.

But some of my wins would be losses if the Showdown behavior of restoring 33% of boosted HP and always giving a berry are wrong.
Even with these downsides G-Max Snorlax ist still better than the regular Snorlax if you want STAB and Trick Room. Max Strike lowers the targets speed, what is not really desireable for a trick room team.

Someone already made tests a few days ago:
figy berry only restoring 16,5% health:

g-max replenish not triggering berry restore:

What could work is a Snorlax with Chople Berry to cover the fighting weakness repeatable (but still luck based as berry restore is not guaranteed). Also a Snorlax with Chesto Berry could work (setup -> rest -> dynamax -> rest again) as you get up to 3 chances to restore the chesto berry in between. Also these do not need Gluttony.

Btw. Leftovers seem to use the dynamax health. But I haven't tested Sitrus Berry in dynamax form. If it works like the Figy Berry you end up with 12,5% health in dynamax form and if it works like Leftovers and gives the full 25% health its the better berry as it heals for more and you can run another ability.

Last edited:
Even with these downsides G-Max Snorlax ist still better than the regular Snorlax if you want STAB and Trick Room. Max Strike lowers the targets speed, what is not really desireable for a trick room team.

Someone already made tests a few days ago:
figy berry only restoring 16,5% health:

g-max replenish not triggering berry restore:

What could work is a Snorlax with Chople Berry to cover the fighting weakness repeatable (but still luck based as berry restore is not guaranteed). Also a Snorlax with Chesto Berry could work (setup -> rest -> dynamax -> rest again) as you get up to 3 chances to restore the chesto berry in between. Also these do not need Gluttony.

Btw. Leftovers seem to use the dynamax health. But I haven't tested Sitrus Berry in dynamax form. If it works like the Figy Berry you end up with 12,5% health in dynamax form (same as Leftovers) and if it works like Leftovers and gives the full 25% health its the better berry as it heals for more and you can run another ability.
Yeah all is not lost as I've had more than enough wins where it wouldn't have mattered, but I'm LOVING this team right now so the stronger the better IMO.

But I'll need to consider Chesto berry and rest, much less luck based, but slower and riskier to set up belly drum.

Let me know if you test the Sitrus Berry.

Let me know if you test the Sitrus Berry.
I was wrong on the Leftovers. I tested Figy Berry, Sitrus Berry and Leftovers in the battle tower. All of them scale off the base health, so Figy Berry is 16,5%, Sitrus Berry is 12,5% and Leftovers is 3,125% in (level 10) dynamax form. Does someone know how Leech Seed on a dynamaxed pokemon works?

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If people want to see what the potential metagame is in this before locking in their teams, I’ll be streaming my games in about 20 minutes from this post.

Also something to note for new players is that any unplayed games from your 15 per day roll over to the next day. You can start on day 3 and do all 45 if you really wanted

I have a problem. I have two consoles and physical copies of sword and shield. So I have for each game separate console. I play using same account. I registered for Galar Beginnings from both consoles. At Friday I played 15 battles from 1st console. then 7 battles from 2nd. today I try to continue. on 2nd console everything is ok. but on 1st console all works except game never found any opponent. what is wrong?

I did all my remaining fights, but didn't count wins/losses. I had my peak at 1658 points, but I had a few losses at the end dropping my final result to 1571 points. Not really good ... I hope next tournament I have time to plan and test a proper team.

Is it possible to play more than 15 matches the next day if you did not complete 15 matches the day before?

Anyone able to play more than 15 matches per day? What happens when you do? The extra matches doesn't count for the rating?
I was able to play more than 15 matches today, the extra matches count too, but maybe its because I only completed 4 matches the previous day? Genuinely curious

Currently on 1645 rating (20-10) however I’m getting bored, I’m just running into constant Snorlax curse/recycle teams now which my team is underprepared for. I’m not sure if I should just quit now while I’m ahead :/

edit: gave up at 40 battles. I finished on 1641 (25-15). I would fight either a Gmax Lapras or Snorlax with recycle (they all would be in their 1700s) I lose, I fight someone 1550-1650 win and then repeat the process. I was having fun until I hit the bulky stall wall but I just can’t put up with 5 more fights like that.

I've gotta say though by far my favourite member of my team was my Scarfed Hydreigon. Every Single time someone tried to take it out with a dragapult I was in hysterics. I even had a few salty quite from it early on

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is where I'm standing

Yeah, not my hottest run there. I was using a similar team to my Sand Snake team, so Sandaconda / Excadrill / Dragapult / Ferrothorn / Grimmsnarl / Dracovish.

Honestly, I really regret using Grimmsnarl, it was a pretty poor fit for this team, and shockingly enough, Ferrothorn didn't do too hot either. I made a total misread on this metagame, thinking there'd be bulkier stuff like on ladder... but nope, bunch of Hyper Offense teams, so I feel like if I prepared for that, I would have done better overall.

Oh yeah, I barely saw any Gmaxes except for one in particular: Lapras. They seemed to be something like Ice Beam / Surf / Sheer Cold / Ice Shard with Weakness Policy, they were quite fericious honestly. I'm assuming when certain Gmaxes get unbanned (Im assuming its gonna be like how VGC is doing it), I think Lapras is going to be a pretty uniquely dangerous one! I sure wish I got one before the tournament started now lol.

Oh yeah, I barely saw any Gmaxes except for one in particular: Lapras. They seemed to be something like Ice Beam / Surf / Sheer Cold / Ice Shard with Weakness Policy, they were quite fericious honestly. I'm assuming when certain Gmaxes get unbanned (Im assuming its gonna be like how VGC is doing it), I think Lapras is going to be a pretty uniquely dangerous one! I sure wish I got one before the tournament started now lol.
Ran into a lot of those Lapras! Setting up the G-Max Resonance and then sweeping when I hit it with a weakness. Just oof.

Honestly, I really regret using Grimmsnarl, it was a pretty poor fit for this team, and shockingly enough, Ferrothorn didn't do too hot either. I made a total misread on this metagame, thinking there'd be bulkier stuff like on ladder... but nope, bunch of Hyper Offense teams, so I feel like if I prepared for that, I would have done better overall.
Curious - what was your set for Grimmsnarl? I ran one with Prankster Taunt/Thunder Wave/Darkest L/Thunder Punch. It was alright for me but with the plethora of Hydreigon/T-Tar/other Grimmsnarls, it made it hard to use at times.

I brought brick break conkeldurr to deal with lapras and screens in general, since they are always popular in 3v3. I only did like 10 battles though, went 9-1. got bored pretty fast of my cloyster just sweeping everyone. Completely anti meta mon. Doesn't care about disguise, focus sash, or physical attacks and this gen is so prevalent with physical that just bringing him in on any physical attacker and setting up with white herb and then dynamaxing to set water or ice just ended every game. Getting liquidation this gen was huge for it, razor shell was always terrible.

I brought brick break conkeldurr to deal with lapras and screens in general, since they are always popular in 3v3. I only did like 10 battles though, went 9-1. got bored pretty fast of my cloyster just sweeping everyone. Completely anti meta mon. Doesn't care about disguise, focus sash, or physical attacks and this gen is so prevalent with physical that just bringing him in on any physical attacker and setting up with white herb and then dynamaxing to set water or ice just ended every game. Getting liquidation this gen was huge for it, razor shell was always terrible.
What Cloyster set did you use to fit Liquidation? I've been running it with a Sash w/Ice Shard (mimikyu's trying to kill you with shadow sneak, opposing lapras ice shard vs 1hp), Shell Smash, Rock Blast, and Icicle Spear. Priority seems too good to give up - did you cut the skill link rock blast synergy for the STAB?

For time reasons, I was only able to play on the final day since I didn't even have a team ready until day 3. I originally wasn't even going to do this one, but I wanted to use Gmax in BSS while I could + I need the BP haha. I ended off at 1678 after 15 games. I ended up bringing 2 gmax mons in Drednaw and Hatterene for a rain mode and a secondary TR mode, which made it really easy to face all the offense teams I saw.

Also need to say that Gmax Drednaw was legit good. I brought it to matches that I wasn't expecting a huge weather war (I.E. vs Sand teams, which I brought Barraskewda for instead), and getting up rocks to break sashes and not lose momentum was incredibly useful.

Overall, I didn't do too bad for it being my very first battles in Gen 8.

From what I have seen so far both Max Moves and G-Max Moves affect both pokemon in doubles and the effect is guaranteed for Max Moves but not guaranteed for G-Max moves. That makes most G-Max moves actually worse than the Max Moves. So regarding your examples Max Airstream increases always the speed for both pokemon, but G-Max Malodor, G-Max Finale and G-Max Chi Strike only have a chance to trigger their effect. The effects take place after the attack, but everything gets recalculated in combat. So after a Max Airstrike from your dynamaxed pokemon your second (slower) pokemon receiving the speed increase can then outspeed the opponents pokemon in the same round.
I see. But for G-Max Moves, I thought that their effects (inflicting status, healing, or buffing the critical hit ratio) were guaranteed? And even for a move like G-Max Malodor, wouldn't it still hit both opponents in a double battle, and maybe only inflicting poison on the targeted specimen? For G-Max Finale, I thought that for every use of it, the move would always heal the user as well as its ally. I'm also wondering about G-Max Chi Strike, namely if it could also boost the critical hit ratio of Machamp's ally in doubles.

EDIT: Also, can the effect from G-Max Resonance be affected by Light Clay, Brick Break, Psychic Fangs, Screen Cleaner, Defog, etc? Could it stack with Aurora Veil/Reflect/Light Screen?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)