Strategy & Metagame Fun Pokemon to use in RBY OU!

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
I'd like to do another article or two on RBY OU. This would cover using fun non-OU Pokemon in OU with legitimate niches, with some talk about how to use them, why to use them, and why to use them over other stuff.

Full list of Pokemon that I'd be able to write about sufficiently:
Clefable
Dodrio
Dugtrio
Hypno
Kangaskhan
Kingler
Omastar
Raichu
Raticate
Sandslash
Weezing

some of those i'm really iffy on. what legitimate niches are you talking about for things like omastar, raticate, or weezing?

victreebel is surprisingly uu, so it might be worth a mention since it does see serious usage. gyara and arti have niches that could be worth discussing, too. maybe consider jolteon over raichu (i know rai gets surf, but jolt's got double kick, a stronger t-bolt, a lot more speed [so more crits as well], and can even pin missile eggy)

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
It depends on the tierlist you're working with, but I'm avoiding jolteon, articuno, and persian, since they're pretty well considered, and I want to consider more bottom of the tier barrel options here. Also this

Omastar - Essentially a slightly slower lapras, with a normal resistance. Note that this means versus tauros it's 'forced' to earthquake, and that allows it to set up plays into exeggutor, etc. Basically:
(07:13) Raish: yeah I beat people with omastar all the time
(07:14) Raish: you just sleep their bait
(07:14) Raish: boom on chansey
(07:14) Raish: and then it's often ready to go
(07:14) Raish: against eggy, lax, tauros, and hopefully a rock
Raticate - Super Fang/Hyper Beam/Blizzard/? [other options are Body Slam and Bubblebeam mainly] - Super Fang is literally threatening to everything, so with well played combos of Super Fang, Hyper Beam, Blizzard, Bubblebeam, maybe Body Slam, you can sweep teams. Whilst it's a little prediction reliant, it's not hard to get it in and do massive amounts of damage. Base 97 Speed isn't exactly shabby either. During Summer is mildly infamous for using it.
Raichu - Surf/Tbolt/Agility/Hyper Beam is my own set that I've made use of (marco helped me optimise my team with it too).. it's a high risk pokemon without durability, basically you need to wear down eggy and chansey to ~30%, tbolt KOs tauros after bslam+hbeam (giving you an alternative way to play tauros dittos), obviously, rocks don't bother it, and agility allows it to negate paralysis, set up on sleeping and frozen pokemon, and then get a jump on the common base 110/115/120s, as well as it beats Zapdos 1v1.
Weezing - Sludge - super effective on Exeggutor, 2HKOs with a bit of prior damage, and outspeeds. Explosion, can explode on tauros. Haze+Tbolt allows it to check slowbro. Sludge's poisoning chance is not a worry once the major specials outside of Egg and Bro are out of the way (mostly Chansey, Starmie [this could be hit with tbolt though], and Alakazam). Maybe a more dubious addition, but quite interesting still imo. Also the love for TANK Weezing and Lord Helix B] allows me to make the article a lil more fun. Weezing's definitely a less serious and more light-hearted addition, but a friend of mine does use it in some tournaments..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)