LC Fletchling

[OVERVIEW]

With a good ability and a relatively good movepool, Fletchling theoretically should be one of the best revenge killers in Little Cup as well as a good setup sweeper. Its relatively good offensive stats help it even more with this. However, it's held back by a weakness to Stealth Rock and is mostly outclassed by the many other good Flying-types in the tier. Although it is a shadow of its former self, it still has a niche as a sweeper and revenge killer with its good priority.

[SET]
name: Bulky Sweeper
move 1: Acrobatics
move 2: Swords Dance
move 3: U-turn / Flame Charge
move 4: Substitute / Overheat / Hidden Power Grass
item: Berry Juice
ability: Gale Wings
nature: Adamant
evs: 196 Atk / 92 Def / 180 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Acrobatics is Fletchling's best STAB move and takes advantage of Gale Wings to make Fletchling a better sweeper. Swords Dance helps Fletchling sweep by boosting its Attack. U-turn helps Fletchling pivot on some of its common switch-ins such as Chinchou and Mudbray. Flame Charge lets Fletchling boost its Speed to continue a sweep after its Gale Wings is deactivated and allows it to hit Ferroseed. Substitute allows Fletchling to activate its Berry Juice on demand. Overheat is used to hit Steel-types such as Ferroseed and Magnemite and is a powerful move in general. Hidden Power Grass hits Rock-types such as Tirtouga and Onix as well as certain other problematic Pokemon like Mudbray and Chinchou.

Set Details
========

Berry Juice enables Fletchling to restore its HP to full when it is damaged to less than half HP, but an item can be completely left out so that Fletchling can automatically have a maximum-power Acrobatics. The Speed EV investment maximizes the Speed gained from Flame Charge and allows Fletchling to outspeed Croagunk and certain Timburr variants. It also has near-maximum Attack and an Adamant nature so it can eliminate more threats such as Croagunk that have taken Stealth Rock damage and faster Mienfoo while also having a much better chance to OHKO Snivy. The rest is put into Defense so Fletchling can survive longer. If using Overheat or Hidden Power Grass, be sure to use an EV spread of 76 HP / 200 Atk / 12 Def / 40 SpA / 180 Spe with an Adamant nature. The Gale Wings ability is Fletchling's main niche, giving it priority on Acrobatics, and should always be used.

Usage Tips
========

Setting up a Swords Dance on a Pokemon you know cannot OHKO Fletchling is usually a good option, as if Berry Juice is consumed, Fletchling may find an opening to sweep. If Stealth Rock is not up, Fletchling makes for quite a good revenge killer. Conserving Fletchling for the late-game is usually a good idea, as it benefits greatly from opposing Pokemon being weakened. Use U-turn on predicted switches to help gain momentum. Be wary of using Flame Charge on Pokemon that can KO Fletchling, as it isn't a very powerful move. Flame Charge is more suited to getting a hit for a guaranteed KO or being used on a target that's weak to it and isn't weak to Acrobatics such as Ferroseed (be aware that Iron Barbs damage will nullify Gale Wings, however). Don't use Substitute if Berry Juice has been consumed, as you can't get Fletchling back up to full health easily, and when using it, it is a good idea to set up a Swords Dance after doing so. It is almost never a good idea to carelessly switch Fletchling into attacks due to its poor bulk and ruining Gale Wings. However, if Fletchling has already taken damage, switching it back in to activate Berry Juice can have the reverse effect.

Team Options
========

Although they are niche, Pokemon using Z-Memento or Z-Parting Shot can bring Fletchling back up to full health and restore its Gale Wings ability. Rapid Spin and Defog users are almost essential to keep Fletchling healthy; Drilbur in particular can check Electric- and Rock-types for it, but Staryu is more consistent. Fletching pairs well with other offensive Flying-types such as Rowlet and Doduo, as they can wear down each other's checks. Slow U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Mienfoo and Chinchou are extremely helpful, as they can get Fletchling in without taking any damage. Knock Off support from Pawniard and the aforementioned Mienfoo can help cripple opposing walls for Fletchling to more easily deal with them. Slowpoke and Chinchou can use Thunder Wave on opposing Pokemon so Fletchling can outspeed many more threats as well as potentially obtain a free turn. Diglett can eliminate Steel-, Electric-, and Rock-types that can be a very big problem for Fletchling.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Fletchling can set up a Tailwind easily, but it doesn't last long enough to really be worth wasting a moveslot. Using Natural Gift with Salac or Apicot Berry to lure in and remove Rock-types has a very small niche, but it isn't recommended because it takes up a move and item slot. Taunt can be used to stop other Pokemon from setting up on Fletchling, but it can't do much afterwards. Steel Wing could be used to hit an incoming Archen, but it doesn't hit many other threats. Snatch can take the setup moves of common Shell Smash users that like to set up on Fletchling, but it doesn't do much more than Taunt does.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Common attackers such as Magnemite and Chinchou can switch into Fletchling easily unless it is running Overheat or Hidden Power Grass (although this still doesn't do much damage to it), respectively, and easily OHKO it in return. Electric-types also provide great momentum to the opponent with Volt Switch.

**Rock-types**: Most Rock-types are bulky and can switch into everything Fletchling can use bar Hidden Power Grass and defeat it in return, but even frailer Rock-types like Cranidos can revenge kill it easily. Many Rock-types also set up Stealth Rock, which is a very big problem for Fletchling because it nullifies Gale Wings.

**Steel-types**: Similarly to Rock-types, Steel-types are usually bulky, can take most moves Fletchling uses other than Overheat, and are generally troublesome. Pawniard and Honedge in particular are troublesome with Stealth Rock and Swords Dance, respectively.

**Physically Bulky Pokemon**: Mudbray, Mareanie, and even Ferroseed when Fletchling isn't carrying Flame Charge can be troublesome to break through without being assisted by wallbreakers.

**Passive Damage**: All passive damage can break Gale Wings. Sand, hail, and Ferroseed's Iron Barbs are good examples. Stealth Rock especially is extremely hard for Fletchling to deal with and is extremely potent in Little Cup.

Last edited:
idk I don't have a team to test with so it's kind of just sitting here. If your asking cause you want it, I can and it off to you just want to know why you are asking.

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
for oo i would mention natural gift and whatever the berry is to lure rocks, taunt(for shell smashers such as tirtouga and omanyte that like setting up on fletchling), flame charge(mention it does less damage compared to overheat, but since gale wings was nerfed it provides the speed boost necessary to sweep), steel wing for archen, and snatch. iirc there was a flail set too but i forget the exact details for that one. I think thats nearly everything important.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
don't compare it to ziggy

[SET]
move 2: Substitute / Roost
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: U-turn / Flame Charge

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
mention sub allowing fletch to take advantage of slower pkmon, allowing it to sd safely with a free turn (good with para spam)

Set Details
========
edit your EV mentions

Usage Tips
========
if pared with para spam, sub can be used to get fletch down to its bj and also free turns. don't use sub after bj has been consumed

Team Options
========
slowpoke, pawniard, chinchou, etc can t wave faster Pokemon for fletch, giving it the potential for free et up and offsetting broken gale wings

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
v good

Checks and Counters
===================
mention sand & hail
ferroseed and any other viable passive dmg

priority is a weak point, since they are better off OHKOing fletchling. remove it

QC: 1/3
make sure to emphasis fletch's fall from grace and general badness throughout the analysis

[OVERVIEW]
don't compare it to ziggy

[SET]
move 2: Substitute / Roost
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: U-turn / Flame Charge

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
mention sub allowing fletch to take advantage of slower pkmon, allowing it to sd safely with a free turn (good with para spam)

Set Details
========
edit your EV mentions

Usage Tips
========
if pared with para spam, sub can be used to get fletch down to its bj and also free turns. don't use sub after bj has been consumed

Team Options
========
slowpoke, pawniard, chinchou, etc can t wave faster Pokemon for fletch, giving it the potential for free et up and offsetting broken gale wings

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
v good

Checks and Counters
===================
mention sand & hail
ferroseed and any other viable passive dmg

priority is a weak point, since they are better off OHKOing fletchling. remove it

QC: 1/3
make sure to emphasis fletch's fall from grace and general badness throughout the analysis
done and ready for 2

Overview:
- Add something about being a revenge killing, that's a big part of Fletchling's job

Set:
- I know trash has been using Fletchling to some pretty good success and I think he uses a pretty different set. I'd like to get some input from him on it. I'll talk to him next time I see him or he can post here

Moves:
- The substitute point doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Either you set it up against a slower mon or you use it on the switch. I'd just completely change this point to talk about using Substitute to activate Berry Juice for Gale Wings, as I think that's its main purpose. Fiend said in his post to use it against T-wave'd mons, but that isn't all that reliable and the chance that Fletchling ends the exchange at full health for Gale Wings is unlikely. Substitute honestly seems pretty bad to me, but I want to talk to others before changing the set. I'm thinking about putting Flame Charge here, U-turn is probably a necessity and Flame Charge helps a lot more than it did in ORAS. Fiend bug me next time you see me on discord

Set Details:
- The alternative EV spread is definitely not a necessity when you're not using an item, I'm not even sure it's good. Seems to me that Fletchling really needs to run speed now that it can't rely on Gale Wings so much anymore.
- The speed also lets it go faster than the unboosted metagame after a Flame charge which is notable.
- Give some examples of what the attack does (fast Mienfoo and gunk after rocks, increasing the chance to ohko snivy dramatically, etc.)

Usage Tips:
- Change the third point to using U-turn on predicted switches; you don't always use it early game, you just use it when you think they're switching.
- Add a situation when you would use Flame Charge
- Put something about revenge killing threats if rocks aren't up near the beginning of this section, it's a p important part of fletch
- Be careful switching into anything because of Fletchling's poor bulk and it risks Gale Wings being ruined

Team Options:
- Drilbur has better typing synergy, but I think Staryu would be a better example because it's so much more consistent at spinning thanks to its recovery, bulk, ability to beat ghosts, etc. Still beats rock types too
- A big reason Fiend said T-wave users was the potential free turn, mention this.
- Diglett

Other Options:
- HP Grass is a very viable move and should be listed probably right after Overheat. Most importantly hits tirt, omanyte, and onix

Checks and Counters:
- Put Stealth Rock into Passive Damage and heavily emphasize it

QC 2/3, but I'll talk to you later or post again about Fletchling's set and that alternative EV spread. Nice job with this, it's looking good.

Last edited:
I talked to Fiend a bit and we came to the consensus that the main set should be:

Moved SD to the second move as it's definitely the second most important. We thought Sub and Roost both weren't great moves and were about in line with coverage moves. We moved U-turn / Flame Charge above those because they're less replaceable and will usually have more of an impact.

In Set Details, remove the slow, bulky EV spread and replace it with 76 HP / 200 Atk / 12 Def / 40 SpA / 180 Spe and mention to use that when using Overheat or HP Grass. We didn't think non-max attack was viable and we didn't think that using bulk > speed was good enough to mention.

I'd love more feedback from anybody, even if it's mostly theorymonning what's good because none of us have a whole lot of experience with Fletchling. Would still like to talk to trash but this set is pretty in-line with what he runs I think.

Last edited:
I talked to Fiend a bit and we came to the consensus that the main set should be:

Moved SD to the second move as it's definitely the second most important. We thought Sub and Roost both weren't great moves and were about in line with coverage moves. We moved U-turn / Flame Charge above those because they're less replaceable and will usually have more of an impact.

In Set Details, remove the slow, bulky EV spread and replace it with 76 HP / 200 Atk / 12 Def / 40 SpA / 180 Spe and mention to use that when using Overheat or HP Grass. We didn't think non-max attack was viable and we didn't think that using bulk > speed was good enough to mention.

I'd love more feedback from anybody, even if it's mostly theorymonning what's good because none of us have a whole lot of experience with Fletchling. Would still like to talk to trash but this set is pretty in-line with what he runs I think.
Sorry took so long to implement, ready for check 3

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
overview
I would mention that there are other significant Flying type options, especially the ones that were buffed from the last generation.

set + set details
I think OP and Fiend covered the set well, nice job
Scraggy and Vullaby hit 15 and 16 speed, respectively, meaning the current Fletchling spread does not outspeed either of these Pokemon.

usage tips
Regarding Flame Charge, do you really think that's a good idea to put Ferroseed as a revenge kill option, as it does take away Gale Wings, but it also gives you the speed boost. Perhaps mention that you're sacrificing the priority for the additional speed.
It might also be a good idea to point out that, while Fletchling is not bulky, if it has already received chip damage, switching it into something that will pop Berry Juice will return it back to full health, reactivating Gale Wings.

team options
whatever.

other options
fine I guess.

checks and counters
split up flying resists, seems a little too broad

Well done!

QC 3/3

Since we've split up the flying-resists, I'd like to see you go more into detail of each one and explain what makes them different from each other. For Electric-types, mention then gaining momentum with Volt Switch. Also Chinchou doesn't really care about HP Grass, so reword that a bit. For Rock-types, mention them setting SR and for Steel-types give an example or two. Definitely use Pawn, and if you want another example avoid using Ferro because you mention it elsewhere.

Since we've split up the flying-resists, I'd like to see you go more into detail of each one and explain what makes them different from each other. For Electric-types, mention then gaining momentum with Volt Switch. Also Chinchou doesn't really care about HP Grass, so reword that a bit. For Rock-types, mention them setting SR and for Steel-types give an example or two. Definitely use Pawn, and if you want another example avoid using Ferro because you mention it elsewhere.
gotcha ill get on it and edit this post when im done

E: done and OP approved ready for GP

Last edited:
Reactions: OP

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
okay, i'm gonna ask you to rewrite the overview--we have a policy not to reference past metagames (or make any "time" references really) in an analysis, since analyses should deal with the here and now because that's the metagame they're teaching and past metagames are irrelevant. i guess it can be argued that the gale wings nerf is significant enough to warrant an exception to this rule, but the problem here is, your current overview deals more with XY fletchling / other flying-types than with SM fletchling (which is the pokemon your analysis is about), and this is not relevant info for someone that's getting into the gen 7 LC metagame. rewrite the overview to focus on fletchling's role in the SM metagame please, and if you absolutely have to reference the gale wings nerf, you can incorporate it in a final sentence ("While the Gale Wings nerf has left Fletchling a shell of its former self, it remains viable as a niche pick in Generation 7" or w/e)

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

With the large nerf to its Gale Wings ability, Fletchling has become a shell of its former self. Since it can no longer switch into Stealth Rock or any attack really without nullifying its ability, Fletchling has to be played much more conservatively than it used to. It can also be outclassed by Flying-types that have become more powerful in generation 7. But, it still does have a niche as a set up priority sweeper. It has access to Acrobatics and Swords Dance to help with said sweep as well. Fletchling also makes quite a good revenge killer with its priority.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Acrobatics is Fletchling's best STAB move and takes advantage of Gale Wings to make Fletchling a better sweeper. Swords Dance helps Fletchling sweep and boost its Attack stat. U-turn helps Fletchling pivot on some of its common switch-ins such as Chinchou and Mudbray. Flame Charge lets Fletchling boost its Speed and continue a sweep after its Gale Wings is broken while also allowing it to hit Ferroseed. Substitute allows Fletchling to activate its Berry Juice. Overheat is used to hit Steel-types such as Ferroseed and Magnimite, Magnemite and is a generally powerful move in general. Hidden Power Grass hits Rock-types such as Tirtouga and Onix, as well as certain other problematic Pokemon like Mudbray and Chinchou.

Set Details
========

Fletchling has Berry Juice enables Fletchling to restore its HP to full HP when it is knocked down to less than half HP, but an item can be completely left out so Flatchling can automatically have a maximum-power (AH) Acrobatics. Fletchling has enough The Speed investment allows Fletchling to outspeed Croagunk and certain Timburr varients, variants and maximizes Speed gained after a Flame Charge. If using Overheat or Hidden Power Grass, be sure to use an EV spread of 76 HP / 200 Atk / 12 Def / 40 SpA / 180 Spe. It also has near maximum Attack and an Adamant nature so it can eliminate more threats such as faster Mienfoo (RC) and Croagunk after it has switched into Stealth Rock (RC) and while also having a much better chance to OHKO Snivy. The rest is put into Defense so Fletchling can survive longer. If using Overheat or Hidden Power Grass, be sure to use an EV spread of 76 HP / 200 Atk / 12 Def / 40 SpA / 180 Spe. (what nature?) The Gale Wings ability, as explained above, is Fletchling's main niche, giving it priority on Acrobatics, and should always be used on Fletchling.

Usage Tips
========

Setting up a Swords Dance on a Pokemon you know cannot OHKO Fletchling is usually a good option, as if Berry Juice is set off, consumed, Fletchling may be open find an opening to sweep. If Stealth Rocks are Rock is not up, Fletchling makes for quite a good revenge killer. Conserving Fletchling for the late-game (AH) is usually a good idea, as it benefits greatly from weakened opponents opposing Pokemon being weakened. Using Use U-turn on predicted switches to help gain momentum. Be wary of using Flame Charge on Pokemon that can KO you Fletchling, as it isn't a very powerful move. Flame Charge is more suited to getting a hit for a guarenteed guaranteed kill on a target or when it is super effective on a Pokemon that isn't weak to Acrobatics such as Ferroseed (RC) (although doing so Iron Barbs damage (think this is what you mean?) will make you give up your priority nullify Gale Wings). (parentheses) Don't use Substitute if Berry Juice has been consumed, as you can't get Fletchling back up to full health easily, and when using it, (AC) it is a good idea to set up a Swords Dance after doing so. It is almost never a good idea to carelessly switch Fletchling into attacks do to its poor bulk and ruining Gale Wings. But, However, (AC) despite this fact, if Fletchling has already taken damage, switching it back in to activate Berry Juice can have the reverse effect.

Team Options
========

Although they are niche, Pokemon using Z-Memento or Z-Parting Shot users can put Fletchling back up to full health and restore its Gale Wings ability. Rapid Spin and Defog users are almost essential to keep Fletchling healthy, Drilbur in particular can check Electric- and Rock-types for it, but Staryu is more consistant consistent. Fletching pairs well with other offensive Flying-types such as Rowlet and Doduo, as they can wear down each others other's threats. Slow U-turn or Volt Switch users such as Mienfoo and Chinchou are extremely helpful, (AC) as they can get Fletchling in without it taking any damage. Knock Off support from Pawniard and the aforementioned Mienfoo can help cripple opposing walls for Fletchling to more easily deal with. Slowpoke and Chinchou can Thunder Wave opponents opposing Pokemon so Fletchling can outspeed many more threats as well as potentially give Fletchling obtain a free turn. Diglett can eliminate Steel-, Electric-, and Rock-types that can be a very big problem for Fletchling.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Fletchling can set up (RH) a Tailwind easily, but it doesn't last long enough to really be worth wasting a moveslot. Using Natural Gift with Salac or Apicot Berry to lure in and remove Rock types has a very small niche, (AC) but it isn't recommended as because it takes up a move and item slot. Taunt can be used to stop other Pokemon from setting up on Fletchling, but it can't do much afterwords afterwards. Steel Wing could be used to hit an incoming Archen, but it doesn't hit many other threats. Snatch can take the set-up setup moves of common Shell Smash users that like to set up on Fletchling, but it doesn't do much more than Taunt does.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Common attackers such as Magnemite and Chinchou can switch into Fletchling easily unless it is running Overheat or Hidden Power Grass (although this still doesn't do much damage to it) respectively and easily return to OHKO it in return. Electric-types also provide great momentum to the enemy with Volt Switch.

**Rock-types**: Most Rock-types are bulky and can switch into everything Fletchling can do bar Hidden Power Grass and defeat it in return, but even more frail Rock-types like Cranidos can revenge kill it easily. Many Rock-types also set up Stealth Rock, (AC) which is a very big problem for Fletchling because it nullifies Gale Wings.

**Steel-types**: Similarly to Rock-types, Steel-types are usually bulky, (AC) and can survive most moves Fletchling uses other than Overheat, (AC) and are generally troublesome. Pawniard and Honedge in particular are troublesome with Stealth Rock and Swords Dance, (AC) respectively.

**Physically Bulky Pokemon**: Mudbray, Mareanie, and even Ferroseed when Fletchling isn't carrying Flame Charge can be troublesome for Fletchling to break through without being assisted by wallbreakers.

**Passive Damage**: All passive damage can break Gale Wings. Sand, hail, and Ferroseed's Iron Barbs are all good examples. Stealth Rocks Rock especially is extremely hard for Fletchling to deal with and are is extremely potent in Little Cup.

Last edited:
Done
okay, i'm gonna ask you to rewrite the overview--we have a policy not to reference past metagames (or make any "time" references really) in an analysis, since analyses should deal with the here and now because that's the metagame they're teaching and past metagames are irrelevant. i guess it can be argued that the gale wings nerf is significant enough to warrant an exception to this rule, but the problem here is, your current overview deals more with XY fletchling / other flying-types than with SM fletchling (which is the pokemon your analysis is about), and this is not relevant info for someone that's getting into the gen 7 LC metagame. rewrite the overview to focus on fletchling's role in the SM metagame please, and if you absolutely have to reference the gale wings nerf, you can incorporate it in a final sentence ("While the Gale Wings nerf has left Fletchling a shell of its former self, it remains viable as a niche pick in Generation 7" or w/e)

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

With the large nerf to its Gale Wings ability, Fletchling has become a shell of its former self. Since it can no longer switch into Stealth Rock or any attack really without nullifying its ability, Fletchling has to be played much more conservatively than it used to. It can also be outclassed by Flying-types that have become more powerful in generation 7. But, it still does have a niche as a set up priority sweeper. It has access to Acrobatics and Swords Dance to help with said sweep as well. Fletchling also makes quite a good revenge killer with its priority.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Acrobatics is Fletchling's best STAB move and takes advantage of Gale Wings to make Fletchling a better sweeper. Swords Dance helps Fletchling sweep and boost its Attack stat. U-turn helps Fletchling pivot on some of its common switch-ins such as Chinchou and Mudbray. Flame Charge lets Fletchling boost its Speed and continue a sweep after its Gale Wings is broken while also allowing it to hit Ferroseed. Substitute allows Fletchling to activate its Berry Juice. Overheat is used to hit Steel-types such as Ferroseed and Magnimite, Magnemite and is a generally powerful move in general. Hidden Power Grass hits Rock-types such as Tirtouga and Onix, as well as certain other problematic Pokemon like Mudbray and Chinchou.

Set Details
========

Fletchling has Berry Juice enables Fletchling to restore its HP to full HP when it is knocked down to less than half HP, but an item can be completely left out so Flatchling can automatically have a maximum-power (AH) Acrobatics. Fletchling has enough The Speed investment allows Fletchling to outspeed Croagunk and certain Timburr varients, variants and maximizes Speed gained after a Flame Charge. If using Overheat or Hidden Power Grass, be sure to use an EV spread of 76 HP / 200 Atk / 12 Def / 40 SpA / 180 Spe. It also has near maximum Attack and an Adamant nature so it can eliminate more threats such as faster Mienfoo (RC) and Croagunk after it has switched into Stealth Rock (RC) and while also having a much better chance to OHKO Snivy. The rest is put into Defense so Fletchling can survive longer. If using Overheat or Hidden Power Grass, be sure to use an EV spread of 76 HP / 200 Atk / 12 Def / 40 SpA / 180 Spe. (what nature?) The Gale Wings ability, as explained above, is Fletchling's main niche, giving it priority on Acrobatics, and should always be used on Fletchling.

Usage Tips
========

Setting up a Swords Dance on a Pokemon you know cannot OHKO Fletchling is usually a good option, as if Berry Juice is set off, consumed, Fletchling may be open find an opening to sweep. If Stealth Rocks are Rock is not up, Fletchling makes for quite a good revenge killer. Conserving Fletchling for the late-game (AH) is usually a good idea, as it benefits greatly from weakened opponents opposing Pokemon being weakened. Using Use U-turn on predicted switches to help gain momentum. Be wary of using Flame Charge on Pokemon that can KO you Fletchling, as it isn't a very powerful move. Flame Charge is more suited to getting a hit for a guarenteed guaranteed kill on a target or when it is super effective on a Pokemon that isn't weak to Acrobatics such as Ferroseed (RC) (although doing so Iron Barbs damage (think this is what you mean?) will make you give up your priority nullify Gale Wings). (parentheses) Don't use Substitute if Berry Juice has been consumed, as you can't get Fletchling back up to full health easily, and when using it, (AC) it is a good idea to set up a Swords Dance after doing so. It is almost never a good idea to carelessly switch Fletchling into attacks do to its poor bulk and ruining Gale Wings. But, However, (AC) despite this fact, if Fletchling has already taken damage, switching it back in to activate Berry Juice can have the reverse effect.

Team Options
========

Although they are niche, Pokemon using Z-Memento or Z-Parting Shot users can put Fletchling back up to full health and restore its Gale Wings ability. Rapid Spin and Defog users are almost essential to keep Fletchling healthy, Drilbur in particular can check Electric- and Rock-types for it, but Staryu is more consistant consistent. Fletching pairs well with other offensive Flying-types such as Rowlet and Doduo, as they can wear down each others other's threats. Slow U-turn or Volt Switch users such as Mienfoo and Chinchou are extremely helpful, (AC) as they can get Fletchling in without it taking any damage. Knock Off support from Pawniard and the aforementioned Mienfoo can help cripple opposing walls for Fletchling to more easily deal with. Slowpoke and Chinchou can Thunder Wave opponents opposing Pokemon so Fletchling can outspeed many more threats as well as potentially give Fletchling obtain a free turn. Diglett can eliminate Steel-, Electric-, and Rock-types that can be a very big problem for Fletchling.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Fletchling can set up (RH) a Tailwind easily, but it doesn't last long enough to really be worth wasting a moveslot. Using Natural Gift with Salac or Apicot Berry to lure in and remove Rock types has a very small niche, (AC) but it isn't recommended as because it takes up a move and item slot. Taunt can be used to stop other Pokemon from setting up on Fletchling, but it can't do much afterwords afterwards. Steel Wing could be used to hit an incoming Archen, but it doesn't hit many other threats. Snatch can take the set-up setup moves of common Shell Smash users that like to set up on Fletchling, but it doesn't do much more than Taunt does.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Common attackers such as Magnemite and Chinchou can switch into Fletchling easily unless it is running Overheat or Hidden Power Grass (although this still doesn't do much damage to it) respectively and easily return to OHKO it in return. Electric-types also provide great momentum to the enemy with Volt Switch.

**Rock-types**: Most Rock-types are bulky and can switch into everything Fletchling can do bar Hidden Power Grass and defeat it in return, but even more frail Rock-types like Cranidos can revenge kill it easily. Many Rock-types also set up Stealth Rock, (AC) which is a very big problem for Fletchling because it nullifies Gale Wings.

**Steel-types**: Similarly to Rock-types, Steel-types are usually bulky, (AC) and can survive most moves Fletchling uses other than Overheat, (AC) and are generally troublesome. Pawniard and Honedge in particular are troublesome with Stealth Rock and Swords Dance, (AC) respectively.

**Physically Bulky Pokemon**: Mudbray, Mareanie, and even Ferroseed when Fletchling isn't carrying Flame Charge can be troublesome for Fletchling to break through without being assisted by wallbreakers.

**Passive Damage**: All passive damage can break Gale Wings. Sand, hail, and Ferroseed's Iron Barbs are all good examples. Stealth Rocks Rock especially is extremely hard for Fletchling to deal with and are is extremely potent in Little Cup.
ready for 2

GP 2/2
remove add comments

[OVERVIEW]

With a good ability and a relatively good movepool, Fletchling theoretically should be one of the best revenge killers in Little Cup as well as a good set(space)up sweeper. Its relatively good Attack and Special Attack offensive stats help it even more with this. But, its However, it's held back by a weakness to Stealth Rock and is mostly outclassed by the many other good Flying-types in the tier that outclass it in most ways. Although it is a shell shadow of its former self, it still has a niche as a sweeper and revenge killer with its good priority.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Acrobatics is Fletchling's best STAB move and takes advantage of Gale Wings to make Fletchling a better sweeper. Swords Dance helps Fletchling sweep and by boosting its Attack stat. U-turn helps Fletchling pivot on some of its common switch-ins such as Chinchou and Mudbray. Flame Charge lets Fletchling boost its Speed and to continue a sweep after its Gale Wings is broken while also allowing deactivated and allows it to hit Ferroseed. Substitute allows Fletchling to activate its Berry Juice on demand. Overheat is used to hit Steel-types such as Ferroseed and Magnemite and is a generally powerful move in general. Hidden Power Grass hits Rock-types such as Tirtouga and Onix, (comma) as well as certain other problematic Pokemon like Mudbray and Chinchou.

Set Details
========

Berry Juice enables Fletchling to restore its HP to full when it is knocked down damaged to less than half HP, but an item can be completely left out so Flatchling that Fletchling can automatically have a maximum-power Acrobatics. The Speed EV investment maximizes the Speed gained from Flame Charge and allows Fletchling to outspeed Croagunk and certain Timburr variants and maximizes Speed gained after a Flame Charge. It also has near-(hyphen)maximum Attack and an Adamant nature so it can eliminate more threats such as Croagunk that have taken Stealth Rock damage and faster Mienfoo and Croagunk after it has switched into Stealth Rock while also having a much better chance to OHKO Snivy. The rest is put into Defense so Fletchling can survive longer. If using Overheat or Hidden Power Grass, be sure to use an EV spread of 76 HP / 200 Atk / 12 Def / 40 SpA / 180 Spe with an Adamant nature. The Gale Wings ability is Fletchling's main niche, giving it priority on Acrobatics, and should always be used on Fletchling.

Usage Tips
========

Setting up a Swords Dance on a Pokemon you know cannot OHKO Fletchling is usually a good option, as if Berry Juice is consumed, Fletchling may find an opening to sweep. If Stealth Rock is not up, Fletchling makes for quite a good revenge killer. Conserving Fletchling for the late-game is usually a good idea, as it benefits greatly from opposing Pokemon being weakened. Use U-turn on predicted switches to help gain momentum. Be wary of using Flame Charge on Pokemon that can KO Fletchling, as it isn't a very powerful move. Flame Charge is more suited to getting a hit for a guaranteed kill KO or being used on a target or when it is super effective on a Pokemon that that's weak to it and isn't weak to Acrobatics such as Ferroseed (although be aware that Iron Barbs damage will nullify Gale Wings, (comma) however). Don't use Substitute if Berry Juice has been consumed, as you can't get Fletchling back up to full health easily, and when using it, it is a good idea to set up a Swords Dance after doing so. It is almost never a good idea to carelessly switch Fletchling into attacks do due to its poor bulk and ruining Gale Wings. However, despite this fact, if Fletchling has already taken damage, switching it back in to activate Berry Juice can have the reverse effect.

Team Options
========

Although they are niche, Pokemon using Z-Memento or Z-Parting Shot users can put bring Fletchling back up to full health and restore its Gale Wings ability. Rapid Spin and Defog users are almost essential to keep Fletchling healthy,; (comma) (semicolon) Drilbur in particular can check Electric- and Rock-types for it, but Staryu is more consistent. Fletching pairs well with other offensive Flying-types such as Rowlet and Doduo, as they can wear down each other's threats checks. Slow U-turn or and Volt Switch users such as Mienfoo and Chinchou are extremely helpful, as they can get Fletchling in without it taking any damage. Knock Off support from Pawniard and the aforementioned Mienfoo can help cripple opposing walls for Fletchling to more easily deal with them. Slowpoke and Chinchou can use Thunder Wave on opposing Pokemon so Fletchling can outspeed many more threats as well as potentially obtain a free turn. Diglett can eliminate Steel-, Electric-, and Rock-types that can be a very big problem for Fletchling.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Fletchling can set up a Tailwind easily, but it doesn't last long enough to really be worth wasting a moveslot. Using Natural Gift with Salac or Apicot Berry to lure in and remove Rock-(hyphen)types has a very small niche, but it isn't recommended because it takes up a move and item slot. Taunt can be used to stop other Pokemon from setting up on Fletchling, but it can't do much afterwards. Steel Wing could be used to hit an incoming Archen, but it doesn't hit many other threats. Snatch can take the setup moves of common Shell Smash users that like to set up on Fletchling, but it doesn't do much more than Taunt does.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Common attackers such as Magnemite and Chinchou can switch into Fletchling easily unless it is running Overheat or Hidden Power Grass (although this still doesn't do much damage to it), (comma) respectively, (comma) and easily OHKO it in return. Electric-types also provide great momentum to the enemy opponent with Volt Switch.

**Rock-types**: Most Rock-types are bulky and can switch into everything Fletchling can do use bar Hidden Power Grass and defeat it in return, but even more frailer Rock-types like Cranidos can revenge kill it easily. Many Rock-types also set up Stealth Rock, which is a very big problem for Fletchling because it nullifies Gale Wings.

**Steel-types**: Similarly to Rock-types, Steel-types are usually bulky, can survive take most moves Fletchling uses other than Overheat, and are generally troublesome. Pawniard and Honedge in particular are troublesome with Stealth Rock and Swords Dance, respectively.

**Passive Damage**: All passive damage can break Gale Wings. Sand, hail, and Ferroseed's Iron Barbs are all good examples. Stealth Rock especially is extremely hard for Fletchling to deal with and is extremely potent in Little Cup.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)