Implemented Fixing Smogon Tour times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
RMT Leader
If the asian/oceanic playerbase doesnt mind playing in such small tours, perhaps you could separate stour into "west" (2pm 4pm 6pm) and "east" (2am 4am 6am) divisions, 6 tours a week, you can join 2 of each division, then top 16 of each division form a 32 man playoff. Idk just throwing ideas.
Considering that our options are to either play in 'small tours' (I highly doubt that times that are actually good for us will draw in very few people instead of the odd 8am timeslot here and the awkward 6pm timeslot there, but I understand why people are sceptical about this - concessions were made to accommodate the Far East in the past few editions of the tournament and it is true that the signup numbers in those tours have declined) or not play at all, we would most certainly prefer to play Pokemon.

I realise that arrangements for the 36th edition of the tournament have been decided, but I would like for this option to be explored if the numbers fail to return to the heights of the 32nd edition - the West would still get their preferred timeslots for a live tour while the Far East would finally have times tailor-made to their needs. I wish everyone a great 36th Smogon Tour :woop:

Last edited:
giving my 2 cents as a Evropean. (gonna use gmt-4)

Friday: 8-10pm | works well for US & Australia & somewhat India
Saturday: 3pm | works well for US, EU and somewhat Australia
Sunday: midday | works well for US East, EU, India and somewhat US West
  • US East 3 good times (12am, 3pm, 9-10pm)
  • US West 2 good and 1 manageable times (9am, 12am, 6-7pm)
  • EU 2 good times (6pm, 9pm; 3-4am)
  • India 1 good and 2 semi-manageable times (22:30 pm, 1:30am, 7:30-8:30am)
  • Australia 1 good and 1 manageable times (6am, 9am, 1-2pm)
These times would give everyone at least 2 manageable times while still respecting larger regions.

TLDR: push the Saturday and Sunday times 2 hours forward

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
giving my 2 cents as a Evropean. (gonna use gmt-4)

Friday: 8-10pm | works well for US & Australia & somewhat India
Saturday: 3pm | works well for US, EU and somewhat Australia
Sunday: midday | works well for US East, EU, India and somewhat US West
  • US East 3 good times (12am, 3pm, 9-10pm)
  • US West 2 good and 1 manageable times (9am, 12am, 6-7pm)
  • EU 2 good times (6pm, 9pm; 3-4am)
  • India 1 good and 2 semi-manageable times (22:30 pm, 1:30am, 7:30-8:30am)
  • Australia 1 good and 1 manageable times (6am, 9am, 1-2pm)
These times would give everyone at least 2 manageable times while still respecting larger regions.

TLDR: push the Saturday and Sunday times 2 hours forward
how on earth are you calling 1:30 am for india a semi-manageable time
like genuinely how the fuck is that a time that is at all doable. i would like to remind people that these tournaments go on for multiple hours and should be planned with that in mind.
also im pretty sure you're just straight up not doing the time conversions right - us east is gmt-5 if not daylight savings gmt-4 if daylight savings

how on earth are you calling 1:30 am for india a semi-manageable time
like genuinely how the fuck is that a time that is at all doable. i would like to remind people that these tournaments go on for multiple hours and should be planned with that in mind.
also im pretty sure you're just straight up not doing the time conversions right - us east is gmt-5 if not daylight savings gmt-4 if daylight savings
Well for people who sleep early 8:30 - for people who don't 1:30 and the times I proposed are much better than current ones lol.

In my mind 8:30am is a manageable time and if for some people it is not then 1:30am might work...

Last edited:

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
Discussions have mostly stalled on this, with not many thoughts offered on the Friday time itself. Given the lack of strong opinions on the matter, we'll be going with the historical Friday 6 PM Eastern US time (GMT -4 for the duration of the tour). This time pulled in strong signup numbers for years, and we are hopeful it will help mitigate the issues we've been seeing in the last few editions. My previous post went more into detail about the overall changes and the reasons for them so I won't reiterate those here, but we are locking these changes in for this edition of Smogon Tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)