VGC First VGC Regulation E Team - Playing with Ogerpon

I've been playing comp for a good while already (played for a bit for gen 7, got super into OU and VGC for gen 8) but this is my first time really getting into gen 9 since the first few months it's been out. Although I've been following development of it pretty closely, this is my first time making a team since then, with the release of the DLC and everything.

:pelipper::ogerpon::meowscarada::empoleon::landorus::rillaboom:
pokepaste

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Weather Ball
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- Protect

:pelipper: It's pelipper, pretty self explanatory. A rain and tailwind setter! It's paired with Ogerpon to give her more firepower at the start of the battle, in the case where I don't want to terrastalize turn one. It's got weather ball for a powered up hydro pump if it survives past the first two turns, which happened more than I thought -- though in the cases where I suspect the opponent is going for trick room, I don't use it at all.. I decided to go for it over surf since I found that in rare instances it'd be problematic if an opponent had a way to switch out Ogerpon before surf hit, or if any opposing Pokemon have water absorb. It's a far more reliable option from my tests, plus it has more power, even if I'm losing the ability to attack two at once.

Neurodivminor (Ogerpon-Wellspring) @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 76 SpD / 180 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Throat Chop
- Wood Hammer
- Spiky Shield

:ogerpon: The base of operations! Meant to be a relatively bulky attacker. First turn, if she's leading instead of Empoleon and Meowscarada, she'll usually use spiky shield in order to gauge the opponents, and just in case a physical attack is used against her for some chip damage. If she really cannot stay on the field without getting easily fainted, she'll be switched out. More often, she'll be tera'd second turn if not on the first turn. With the special defense boost, she can usually tank some pretty rough hits while hitting just as hard. Her speed allows her to outspeed most serious threats against her, the rest of the investment is to boost her special a little more. Wood Hammer is for coverage, and for STAB before tera if I feel it's worth it to take the risk. Ivy Cudgel is Ivy Cudgel and pure damage dealing. Throat Chop is for the rare instance of sound moves (Hyper Voice, Boomburst, and Clanging Scales specifically)-- and might be getting kicked for another move but I'm not sure yet. At its core it's a bulky attacker that fills its role nicely from what I've played.

Meowscarada @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overgrow
Level: 50
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Grass Pledge
- Sucker Punch

:meowscarada: Here's the one I'm most iffy about. It's role is simple, and it works fine, but I wonder if there's a way to improve it, or a good replace for the strategy in general. It's sole purpose is this: If an opposing team seems to be running a team based entirely on speed, it leads alongside Empoleon. Its first turn will always be Grass Pledge. With its speed, it's able to outspeed most serious threats against it so that it can use grass pledge first. If it somehow isn't able to move first, focus sash prevents an OHKO. Empoleon aids with water pledge, producing a swamp and quartering speed of the opponents. After that, if it wasn't hit before, it can usually get off a knock off or a sucker punch before it faints. Knock off is meant just to get a problematic item off of a foe, and sucker punch is just in case it goes against a mon with priority, or if something manages to be faster. I went for a hasty nature over jolly to keep the speed boost, while also not reducing special attack, since grass pledge is a special move, and while I don't think it will ever have enough power to OHKO anything, it's still able to get some damage off if its opponent is weak to grass. It isn't made to last.

Empoleon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Competitive
Level: 50
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Icy Wind
- Flash Cannon
- Water Pledge

:empoleon: Meowscarada's partner! Made to hit water pledge to produce a swamp, and made to last a good bit longer than Meowscarada as a bulkier special attacker. It can take and survive most things that aren't electric. Surf is for when I can hit on a Meowscarada turn. Flash cannon is mainly to get good damage off on Flutter Mane if Ogerpon isn't able to take it out. Icy Wind is for further speed control, in case the swamp doesn't do enough. It's meant to take hits and do damage essentially, and more often than not it ends up as a partner to Ogerpon, Landorus, or Rillaboom.

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sandsear Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Earth Power
- Protect

:landorus: The boy! An all out attacker. Chose regular Lando over the therian forme solely for the option of Sheer Force, which boosts all of his moves in some way. Most notable is Sheer Force + Life Orb boosted Sandsear Storm. If it doesn't OHKO, it gets really good damage in for other mons to take them out, or force a switch if needed. Sludge bomb is for coverage, but it also hits really well against Ogerpon, and gets an OHKO against her if not tera'd into fire, water, or rock. Perfect accuracy in rain makes it a good switch in once Pelipper or Ogerpon faints.

Rillaboom @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 168 Atk / 44 SpD / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- Knock Off
- Fake Out

:rillaboom: Another all out attacker. It's really just a regular Rillaboom set. Fake out for flinches on the scariest threat on the field, knock off for pretty much the same reason, grassy glide because it's grassy glide, and wood hammer for a more powerful grass move if needed. It's mostly a self explanatory set, with extra ev investments into special defense and speed, enough to outspeed a few significant threats to it, and special defense to survive other severe threats. Though I will have to tweak these sets a little more once I can tell a little easier what's an especially prevelant threat that I can actually defend against.

Prevalent Issues

I've found that any forms of lowering attack against Ogerpon have the possibility to be pretty detrimental. Just one intimidate from a Landorus-T is able to cripple it pretty badly against bulkier opponents, even with tera active. Thunderus is pretty problematic too if it comes out on turn one while I still have both Pelipper and Oger out. Drizzle luckily doesn't suffer, but it means no tailwind or any attacking move as one thunderbolt from Thunderus can OHKO Pelipper. Even with full SpD investment, it won't be able to survive an electric move from it. Empoleon isn't exactly safe from electricity either. I'm debating on putting ice beam rather than icy wind, in case the need for more ice power is greater than the need for speed.

Hope that was enough info! I probably missed some stuff, but this is my first time posting a team :>​

Last edited:
I would at least consider knock off on oger. You have empoleon twice.

What does tp Miracle seed rilla that won't otherwise? It seems really good, but I also like grassy seed a lot.

On over I assume you meant "specially bulky attacker," not "bulky special attacker." People will know what you mean but...idk. may as well fix cause special oger would be lol.

I would at least consider knock off on oger. You have empoleon twice.

What does tp Miracle seed rilla that won't otherwise? It seems really good, but I also like grassy seed a lot.

On over I assume you meant "specially bulky attacker," not "bulky special attacker." People will know what you mean but...idk. may as well fix cause special oger would be lol.
Thank you for noting my mistakes lol, fixing now! (I actually did screw up and put special rather than physical, brain fart during my posting probably)

I found that miracle seed gave grassy glide a little more power, but that was before I went around editing EVs, so that info may be a lil outdated. I'll switch to grassy seed later on and see if there's a good change with that. I was debating on knock off for oger as well, so good to know I was considering a good choice :>

Hi! Solid team you have built there. Few changes I would like you to think over are as follows:-
1. Making Rillaboom tanky with AV and giving it grass tera to always land OHKO with Grassy Glide on Flutter Mane. A sample set is given below:
Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- High Horsepower

2. Urshifu-Rapid Strike with Adamant Nature and Choice Scarf is able to OHKO Empoleon with Close Combat. Not only that, With Rain active, Urshifu is able to freely U-Turn into Meowscarada getting huge damage done ( 174.8% - 206.6% ; only surviving with Focus Sash ) and able to use Surging Strikes on it for a lot of damage ( 79.4% - 95.3% ) .
I would say switching either of the Pokemon for something like Urshifu-Rapid Strike itself with Choice Scarf would be a good idea because it helps in terms of speed and damage BOTH at the same time and makes excellent use of the Rain with the use of Surging Strikes.

3. In VGC E, I have seen many people use Flying Tera Tera Blast Heatran which can pose an immense threat on Ogerpon. This is just fyi.

To conclude, The team is amazing as its something that you yourself have come up with. I hope you consider the inputs and demolish other teams.

Hi! Solid team you have built there. Few changes I would like you to think over are as follows:-
1. Making Rillaboom tanky with AV and giving it grass tera to always land OHKO with Grassy Glide on Flutter Mane. A sample set is given below:
Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- High Horsepower

2. Urshifu-Rapid Strike with Adamant Nature and Choice Scarf is able to OHKO Empoleon with Close Combat. Not only that, With Rain active, Urshifu is able to freely U-Turn into Meowscarada getting huge damage done ( 174.8% - 206.6% ; only surviving with Focus Sash ) and able to use Surging Strikes on it for a lot of damage ( 79.4% - 95.3% ) .
I would say switching either of the Pokemon for something like Urshifu-Rapid Strike itself with Choice Scarf would be a good idea because it helps in terms of speed and damage BOTH at the same time and makes excellent use of the Rain with the use of Surging Strikes.

3. In VGC E, I have seen many people use Flying Tera Tera Blast Heatran which can pose an immense threat on Ogerpon. This is just fyi.

To conclude, The team is amazing as its something that you yourself have come up with. I hope you consider the inputs and demolish other teams.
What is your reccomendation for the currently av Empoleon? I don't play doubles, but I'm maybe surprised Pelipper is max Spe, just cause it isn't fast. I mean it doesn't seem that bad, but I imagine there's a sweet spot that compromises between bulk and Spe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)