SM OU First Team, Would Love Feedback.

This is my first team and i would like some feedback on it.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Ice
- U-turn

One of the most common pokemon to see in OU for good reason, this is a defensive Landorus-T. Stealth Rock is the best Set-Up move in OU for it hitting so many pokemon. Earthquake is the main attacking move for it and it hits like a TRUCK. Hidden power ice is for hitting other Landorus-T for massive damage and OHKOs with chip damage. Finally U-Turn is for hitting other pokemon when switching out against grass types. The EVs are max HP for tanking hits. Other than that the rest are split between Def and Spe.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Baneful Bunker
- Recover
- Toxic

In this set I use Toxapex to cover Kartana's and Mega Diancie's weakness. If worst comes to worst I can stall other pokemon out with a toxic poison. I use baneful bunker when stalling to allow me to double the number of hits that I can take and turns alive. I use recover on the turns that I don't use bunker to increase longevity. Finally I scald as the attacking move so that I can burn pokemon immune to toxic, i.e Magearna and Jirachi. The EV's are max HP and max SpD and the leftovers go towards Def and Black Sludge to heal.

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earth Power
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is a go-to pokemon on the team with having STAB Moonblast and Diamond Storm, You can use it as a sweeper or to pressure pokemon to switch out. I run Earth power to counter opposing Toxapex and other Electric and Fire types. Moonblast is the STAB fairy move that I use to counter Dark and Dragon types. Diamond storm is a very good STAB rock move against Ice and Flying pokemon, namely un-scarved Landorus-T. Finally Hidden power Fire to use against Kartanas and other grass types. The EVs are max speed and SpA for bonus damage on Moonblast.

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

I use Kartana to break Toxapex and other defensive walls, with beast boost attack, over time the attack stat will raise.. Swords dance in case you get a free turn to boost your ATK stat even further. STAB leaf blade as a general use against everything move that can OHKO most pokemon after being boosted. Sacred sword to use on pokemon that resist grass with Fightinium Z if you need to OHKO a pokemon that resists Grass. Finally Knock off to remove threatening items such as a leftovers and life orbs. Max attack and speed EV's to increase chance to move 1st and OHKO.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Fleur Cannon

Assault Vest Magearna to tank almost any special move and wall Fairy Psychic, and Dark it can be used as a defensive check to Tapu Lele, Mega Alakazam and Clefable. Volt Switch to switch out and deal solid electric damage. Ice beam to deal massive damage to Landorus-T and other ground types. Focus blast to deal with other steel types and normal types. Fleur Cannon to deal massive STAB fairy damage with the Soul-Heart boost. The EVs are max HP and SpA for all of the attacks to deal even more damage and take more hits.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

BY FAR the most common Celesteela build in OU. Leftovers to Increase survivability and take more hits. Leech seed to deal extra minor damage to non-grass types and to add to the leftovers survivability. Protect is used to create turns where you take no damage but gain leftover and leech seed health. Heavy Slam deals tons of damage with STAB and Celesteela's weight allowing to pressure to switch into steel types. Flamethrower to deal super effective damage to steel types that switch in to resist heavy slam. Max HP EVs and almost max SpD Evs allow it to take massive hits.

Last edited by a moderator:

vivalospride

been up all year my third eye aint even blinkin’
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least 3 lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

e: unlocked

Last edited:
Hello. Your team is for sure impressive for a first one ! I really like the way Kartana breaks through Celesteela for itself or Diancie. I think your team as a few issues but not much honestly. I'll sound like I list lots of stuff but honestly that's not much.

- With Lando being your only electric resist but being slower than any electric type really, you end up being weak to Koko as well as the rare Z Hypnosis/ Z Electric Terrain Xurkitree and Manectric-Mega.
- Zapdos checks Kartana, Landorus and Celesteela and you don't have any way to check it in the long run so you'll probably lose unless your Diancie sweeps.
- Gastrodon checks Diancie, Magearna and Celesteela and you don't have a good switch in to it either. So, if your Kartana doesn't sweep, you lose in the long run.
- 4 attacks Swampert-Mega sweeps you on the spot and if it lacks Superpower, you'll have to sac something before going to Kartana and it won't last long enough.
- Z Celebrate Victini sweeps the team on the spot and it sets up easily on your steels. Maybe Leech Seeding and protecting / using baneful bunker while making the good call on whether it's gonna use the fire or psychic move can make it but it's not reliable at all. It's the same with a Z Psychic Volcarona.
- Electrium + Ice Beam Magearna sets up on everything besides Kartana at +2 and Landorus and sweeps the team.
- The team doesn't have any switch in to a Scald Tapu Fini (because of Taunt + Nature's Madness dealing with Toxapex) so you'll lose to it in the long run unless you can sweep.
- Venusaur-Mega can only be beaten by switching back and forth between Toxapex and Celesteela and you have to not lose before pp stalling all it's leech seeds and synthesis which is very tough.
- A Roost Hawlucha can not be toxic stalled using Baneful Bunker and sweeps the all team pretty easily.

I have two options in mind to patch most weaknesses without altering most of your already solid matchups. Basically, Magearna and Celesteela's roles overlap when it comes to checking fairies and psychics.
First option to me is replacing the Magearna with an AV Tangrowth for more reliability vs Gastrodon and Fini, checking Koko and being your Swampert-Mega counter. However, you still lose versus everything else.
The other option would be to change Celesteela this time, to a Zapdos, allowing to check Hawlucha while still checking Ferrothorn, Kartana and Scizor. It'd also help versus Fini and could paralyze a scarf Lando using U-Turn/Knock Off for Kartana and Diancie or a Tornadus using U-Turn/Knock Off too for your Kartana. Then, since you now have a counter to Lopunny, you don't need to run the Black Sludge Baneful Bunker on Toxapex anymore and can now use a Payapa Berry (halving psychic damages once) Haze set, allowing you to check Z Celebrate Victini and Z Psychic Volcarona. Finally, you can run a bulky Calm Mind Pain Split version of your Magearna for more longevity and therefore helping vs Zapdos and Koko as well as for countering set-up Magearna and Venusaur. It would also help offensively to pressure Toxapex for your Diancie to break it. This version still loses versus Gastrodon or Swampert-Mega.

So the two versions I'm thinking of would be either this: https://pokepast.es/eb87a54b19a3b35a
or this: https://pokepast.es/f7e1e9d45c0be502
I just added 4 Speed EVs on Lando to eventually outspeed defensive Lando, slow Gliscor and Fini. On the Haze Toxapex set, I put 24 Speed EVs because if I wanna outspeed Reuniclus that tries to outspeed Toxapex to Haze it I need to be 248 SpDef EV max on Toxapex and 248 and 236 have the same rolls when hit by specs Greninja's Dark Pulse so I added more speed because Reuniclus tend to speed crip on high ladder. Magearna's Defense is for offensive Lando's Earthquake and Zapdos' Speed is for Adamant Bisharp and Timid Magnezone.

Something I wanna add is I think U-Turn isn't worth it on your Landorus since you don't threaten grass types well enough offensively to capitalize on it. And instead, you could run Stone Edge to pressure Zapdos to Roost, eventually KO Tornadus for your Kartana as well as not letting a Charizard-Mega-X setting up on you by not mega evolving.

Also, a problem of the Tangrowth version, aside of being more passive while not being bulkier is that it's weaker to Kyurem-Black and Knock Off Tornadus. On the other hand, the other version is very weak to Gliscor.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)