VGC First sv team

I dont usually touch team building nor have I really looked too far into SV VGC at all really but with battling having piqued my interest I decided to give it a shot. When I looked at the common usage, I saw murkrow having an unusually high usage rate and now I get why.

Murkrow @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tailwind
- Haze
- Foul Play
- Taunt

This is a pretty basic Murkrow set. It is the only prankster tailwind setter- tailwind being fairly standard for offensive teams and prankster allows an almost guaranteed tailwind. Haze is also a fantasic move once again showing Murkrows viability as it negates all stat changes, this deals with many common gimmicks such as Dendozoguri, Steam engine weakness policy coalossal, anger point tauros and many more set-up sweepers as well as helping defensively in the case of defense drop-offs on moves such as close combat. Foul play is here to add a little bit of pressure instead of making it a pure support mon where non-damaging moves are useless. Taunt is also a fairly standard move, preventing mons like amonguss from sporing youre whole team and preventing set up sweepers or mons that continually build defenses. I use a fairly common max hp max sp.def build with eviolite to ensure that it stays on the field as long as possible in the case of fake out which would negate sash murkrow.

Arcanine @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz

Aracnine is one of my personal favourite mons and has one of the best abilities in the game being intimidate. I chose an av physical build as the physical attacks it gets are insanely strong with close combat and flare blitz both being 120 bp meaning it can OHKO a lot of mons. Its vast movepool and great base stats mean that it can solo sweep teams due to a vast coverage and large damage output. AV and max hp investments help with the recoil damage it may take, in my experience, it doesn't need any speed investments as tailwind and being very bulky allow it to survive to get consistant big damage off. I chose terra water as it negates the current 3 weaknesses and grass types will still be pressured due to flare blitz which can OHKO a lot of the popular grass mons.

Gholdengo @ Air Balloon
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Recover
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball

Ghlodengo is another insanely stong mon on top of great base stats, it also has a fantastic ability with spore being a very common move as well as preventing t-wave which can straight up lose matches on full paralysis'. On top of all that, Steel Ghost is a fantastic defensive type- steel arguably being the strongest type. As well as all of this defensive power- its signature move Make it rain is a 120 bp spread move which only lowers your special attack- this can be fixed with Murkrows haze or a nasty plot allowing it to get consistant high hit moves which can often land KOs. It runs an Air ballon to temporarily remove its Ground weakness allowing Garchomp to get off a STAB earthquake. For my tera type I chose steel as a tera STAB +2 (nasty plot) Make it rain can easily put you straight into a winning position. I put 252 evs into HP to ensure that it stays on the field for a long time constantly applying pressure, this also gets the most value out of recover, once again, it doesn't have any speed evs as tail wind is usually enough and Gholdengo can easily put win games during its uptime.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Level: 50
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Protect

A 4x weakness to ice and a weakness to fairy doesn't stop this offensive monster. On top of a giant 130 base attack, it also has a respectable 102 speed and 108 hp. Despite my general trends with no speed evs, I mainly found myself using garchomp on clean up which was occasionally out of tailwind. Earthquake and rockside are both very strong, multi-hititng moves, rock slide having the added effect of flinching over 2 pokemon giving it close to a 50% chance of flinching at least 1 mon which can also win games. Dragon claw mainly acts as a check to wide guard which can straight up be spammed and counter the 2 other moves. Due to its major weakness' tera steel is perfect going from a 4x weakness to ice and a 2x weakness to fairy to the both of them doing 1/2x damage I use a life orb to pressure trick room + follow me with flinches sometimes winning games in these situations as well as generally adding damage.

Indeedee-F (F) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Psychic Surge
Level: 50
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Follow Me
- Protect
- Heal Pulse
- Dazzling Gleam

I figured with the already prominant offensive power on the team, I wanted another support mon especially to help out late game with healing pulse which can save and regenerate mons whilst allowing them to continue applying their offensive moves. Follow me similarly does this when against fast mons where heal pulse will not be able to get pulled off with psychic surge preventing priority moves and dazzling gleam for added damage onto the field.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Snarl
- Protect
- Yawn
- Wish

I use Umbreon for the same roll as Indeedee- support mons but in the opposite way, while Indeedee takes pressure off of my team, Umbeon puts pressure on their team, yawning sweepers and dropping offfensive stats whilst keeping longetivity via with. Its incredible bulk means that it can persistantly toy with other mons stats and help out late game.

Last edited:
Indeedee needs a description too, and I'm not sure it's ok without a psychic STAB. Only indeedee looks off to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)