SS OU First attempt at OU Team (and I am dumb)

:dragapult::garchomp::swampert::clefable::scizor::volcarona:

I'm mostly trying to build a team around my two favorite OUs, Garchomp and Dragapult and would appreciate any help possible

:ss/Dragapult:
Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
-Thunderbolt
-Draco Meteor
-Flamethrower
-Shadow Ball
Standard Specs build
Thinking about trying to squeeze in a U-turn for sponges
Can revenge kill well but is the secondary option behind Scizor

:ss/Garchomp:
Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance
-Scale Shot
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
Pretty standard. SE for Zapdos
Wall breaker
SD setup sweeper

:ss/Swampert:
Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Flip Turn
-Earthquake
-Toxic
Flip turn standard Swampert to pivot
Sets up rocks
Big Bulky water here to act as a sponge when needed

:ss/Clefable:
Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
-Calm Mind
-Moonblast
-Soft-Boiled
-Thunderbolt
Dragon resist
Standard bulky Clefable stuff
TB over options like Flamethrower to act as a counter to pex, the bane of my life.

:ss/Scizor:
Scizor @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 144 Def / 96 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Defog
-Bullet Punch
-Knock Off
-Roost
Defogger, and fairy/ice resist
Revenge Killer
Surprisingly resilient into the right swaps

:ss/Volcarona:
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Quiver Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Flamethrower
-Psychic
Meant to be a sweeper but has been struggling really hard
May wanna replace Quiver with Fiery Dance
Giga Drain was swapped for Psychic as the type coverage felt more reliable than the survivability Giga Drain was bringing

I think this team is struggling with with pex (TB Clefable feels like the only answer) and I'm not sure what to swap around to improve this problem. Thinking about completely swapping Swampert for Ferrothorn or something and maybe completely replace Volcarona but I'm honestly just confused and still learning

Last edited:
Roost over bug buzz on volc. I think zapdos isnt too much of a problem for chomp. Maybe sub over SE for status. I don't know if zapdos is that bad to garchomp. +2 scale shot should be fine? It should 2HKO. Hurricane could cause some problems but I think swampert can handle it fine as well. I am very narrow minded on my pokemon sets so if you really believe in SE it would be best to go for it.

Congratulations on your first team. I'm going to recommend changes to moves and spreads without replacing any members.

First, give Pult U-Turn for the invaluable momentum, forming a Volt-turn core with Pert. Then decide on a coverage move for the last slot. I recommend Hydro Pump to catch Lando and Tran on the switch. Lando and Tran are significant because they are the two most popular answers to Volcarona. Neither have notable recovery outside of Lefties, so the significant damage helps Rona sweep in the late game.

For Chomp, replace LO with Lefties. Outside of Sheer Force and Magic Guard mons, the extra power is not worth the 10% self damage since you place your sweep on a timer, and it becomes infinitely easier for your opponent to wear you down/revenge kill. Also, I would replace Stone Edge with Fire Fang. Corv, Skarm, and Tangrowth can no longer wall you, and SE doesn't hit anything significant that your other moves couldn't cover. In regards to Zapdos, Chomp outspeeds all sets and doesn't fear anything outside of Toxic. In line with what drakloak said, view Zapdos as a free chance to SD up. Important detail, always run Rough Skin over Sand Veil.

Unless you insist on CM Clef, I would change the set to a Defensive/Utility set. You already have Rona and Chomp as set up sweepers, and your team is weak on the physically defensive side, so something like this should help:

Clefable @ Rocky Helmet
Level: 100
Bold Nature
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off

Rocky Helmet punishes Weavile's Triple Axel and Urshifu's Surging Strikes. Dragapult is your only form of speed control, which makes you susceptible to Scarf mons like Lele, so adding T-Wave helps cripple them. Knock is for the extra utility, or you can run Flamethrower to lure in Ferrothorn.

In the event you keep CM Clef, always run Thunder specifically for the better damage rolls on Pex.
+1 0 SpA Life Orb Clefable Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 166-198 (54.6 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+1 0 SpA Life Orb Clefable Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 135-161 (44.4 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Lastly we have Volcarona. There's no need to run Bug Buzz, so replace it with Giga Drain. Then you can cover Pex with Psychic and other bulky waters, like the Slowtwins, with GD. Not having Roost reduces your setup potential, but you lose to Tran and Toxic Blissey anyway. You can use the prevalence of Roost Volcarona to your advantage since most players will assume you have Roost+Fire move, so if you reveal Psychic, you can surprise them with GD, and vice-versa. Keep in mind, there is no perfect Volcarona set; it's just the nature of the mon.

Here is the paste with my changes:
https://pokepast.es/f1e6b03ccf91795e

Unless you restructure the team, you are going to struggle against Rain and Fini. A well played Tran can also easily wear you down, so I wouldn't recommend replacing Pert with Ferro unless you include a more reliable Tran answer than Chomp. It's okay to be confused, teambuilding is hard. As long as you are learning you will continue to improve, which is what ultimately matters.

Hope this helps, and good luck on the ladder!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)