Gen 6 Fire Walk With Me - Reuniclus remains supreme

Fire Walk With Me

:reuniclus::Seismitoad::Crobat::infernape::Empoleon::Sceptile-Mega:

Introduction

Hello dear readers,

For those of you who do not know me, my name is Sylvi and I have recently been making my mark in the ORAS UU scene, playing some tournament games in the UUPL and the ongoing UUFPL. Despite being new to this tier, I have strong opinions and a clear vision of what I think is good, medium and what hurts your chances of winning.

During my time exploring this fun tier, I have created several teams. I wanted to showcase a team I created during my time as a helper for the Iku Town Idols in UUPL. Although I am still in UUFPL, I will only show the final version. I will not show the variety of ideas that led to this team. The inspiration for this RMT was Liz Angeles, as we both wanted to showcase a team that we were proud of. As soon as UUFPL is over for me, I will post more about ORAS UU. Stay tuned! But for now, enjoy this team. Let me guide you!

Teambuilding Process

:Reuniclus:
I have collected several ideas on what to suggest as a good choice for the Idols during my time as an Idol Helper in UUPL. I already know how broken :clefable: is with Magic Guard from my experience in the ORAS OU metagame. This is how I came to Reuniclus. I suspect that many "standard" ORAS UU Teams are also very weak on it.

:Reuniclus::Seismitoad:
Seismigoat is an incredible pick-up. I really believe in the power of the mighty frog and every team welcomes a ground. The inspiration for Toad wasn't the Rock Set that most people use. It was a pure utility set. It was inspired by xray, who had success without rocks in the ORAS OU tier. I really liked this approach, because with Refresh it helps with Will-O-Wisp/Toxic. This is very important, as Burn is 12% passive dmg every turn.

:reuniclus::Seismitoad::Crobat:
To add a Flying type and also speedcontrol I decided on :Crobat:, since it also covers threats that can annoy :reuniclus: for example :heracross:, :beedrill-mega: and :Escavalier:.

:reuniclus::Seismitoad::Crobat::infernape:
After starting to talk with Wanka about the Team, I felled back to the Ape. I believe the Will-O-Wisp Rocks Set is underrated, since it gets up rocks quite nicely and can spread Burn which significantly helps :Reuniclus: a lot. It also gives me a Burn Immunity and decent spread, faster than :mienshao:.

:reuniclus::Seismitoad::Crobat::infernape::Empoleon:
I needed a fairy resist and I don't like overloading :seismitoad: as my Water and Ground Type. :empoleon: also offers me needed reliable removal. It is just a solid Pokémon overall.

:reuniclus::Seismitoad::Crobat::infernape::Empoleon::Sceptile-Mega:
I like fastpaced Teams since I think it is more efficient to solve problems in this tier dynamically with Speed than solely with structure. Also having a Grass Type with Water Absorb Support is a nice niche to have outplays around Scald! With :Crobat: being weak to rocks, I need a fast Mon that isn't weak to Rocks since if I need to double around, I can't let Rocks limit me to much. I also liked :Sceptile-Mega: since it threatens :absol-mega: which helps the star :reuniclus:.

In-Depth

:xy/reuniclus:
Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Explanation

Magic Guard is broken since it prevents all passive damage. That being said that allows :reuniclus: to be a switch to Scald and Will-O-Wisp. The idea behind this set is to be my Fighting Switch for Mons like :virizion:. At the same time to be able to switch on defensive Mons like :slowking: , :empolean: and others. I choose Psyshock as my Stab Attack since it wins Calm Mind Mirrors. Since it is slow Setuper Calm Mind Sweeper Recover is a given. Since Mono Attack was never an Option for me, I was exploring the realm of possibilies. I already used Thunder as my 2nd move in my UUPL Game against Killintime but this time I feared being walled by :krookodile:. Being walled by :Slowking: wasn't the worse since I can force progress with a Burn or Toxic. Focus Blast hits all the Steel Types for example :metagross:, :cobalion:, :empoleon: and :aggron-mega:. For my Item I went for Life Orb since I needed it for the OHKO on :virizion::

0 SpA Life Orb Reuniclus Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Virizion: 354-421 (109.5 - 130.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

In addition to that I liked Life Orb since I wanted more power since my strategy relies on slowly weaken the Team with burn damage. Thanks to the power of Life Orb the Checks for :reuniclus: get warren down easier.
To help out with the Calm Mind strategy I decided to invest as much in physical bulk as possible. I play 24 Speed Evs since :reuniclus: is in a speedwar with :Escavalier: and also to win speed mirrors I went for 103 speed since the most :Escavalier: Sets I got went for 100 speed and to be prepared for someone who creeps on 101, I decided to go with 103 just to be safe.

:xy/seismitoad:
Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Refresh

Explanation

This Toadset is designed to beat every Situation possible. Scald is broken so it is a given. The true genius behind this Set is the combination of Knock Off + Toxic. Since it can hit the Naturual Cure Pokemon :roserade: and :celebi: with Knock Off and also cripple the Steel Types with Scald + Knock Off. Toxic helps for the mirror and also forces progress. Refresh helps with :entei: Sacred Fire and also in the Mirror since slow Refresh (Relaxed Nature) beats the Toxic Set. Since they Toxic you first and then u Refresh it off. I just went for max max since I wanted to have the best odds against :aerodactyl-mega: and other physical attackers.

:xy/Crobat:
Crobat @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Roost

Explanation

The bat rises in popularity and I am no stranger to this trend. It is really nice pivot and despite not having Regenerator it is the :Tornadus-Therian: of the ORAS UU Metagame. I went for a pivot build which is well known by now. It is not really innovating, so I don't pretend I invented the wheel here. I went for Taunt since I wanted to prevent Rocks and block the clerics :florges: and :sylveon: with Taunt. I went for Helmet since I wanted to punish opposing U-Turns and the Helmet Chip helps the Team more than some Black Sludge Recovery. I valued the Chip more than the no Item Acrobatics Set, since I will only click Brave Bird if I need to revenge threats. :crobat: is a U-Turn bot after all. For the speed I wanted to creep for :whimsicott: and also be as tanky as possible to survive Rock attacks from :Mienshao: and :Heracross:.

:xy/Empoleon:
Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Defog
- Roar

Explanation

Empoleon is here to fill holes against :Guardevoir: and :Sylveon:. It also helps soft-checking :roserade: and :celebi: and in general a good answer special defensive threats. Beside the given Scald and Defog moves I opted for Ice Beam since I like hitting :celebi:, :roserade: and most importantly :viriziron: so I don't give them a free switch in. I opted for Roar to have an answer for slow Setup since I don't needed another move and I wanted ti have this security. I really like Empoleon as a Defoger since it can get rid of the hazards easily thanks to the bulk and free switch ins on clerics. I went for some Speed to creep for mirrors, :sylveon: and other 60 Base Speed Mons. Max SpDef is self explanatory since it is my special wall.

:xy/Infernape:
Infernape @ Fist Plate
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 16 HP / 144 Atk / 96 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Explanation

Everything with Will-O-Wisp is viable. This is the given in ORAS. Since :seismitoad: had no rocks, I needed a rocker and I lacked an Ice-Resist so I don't loose to :Mamoswine: on Team Preview. With that in mind, a fire Type was am cool solution since it also gives a Will-O-Wisp Switch in if I need one in desperate Times. This set also catches player off-guard since many think :seismitoad: is Rocks, so :infernape: must be offensive and switch in their bulky water / flying type and they get hit with the Burn. It is also is a nice offensive Check for :absol-mega: since the established set can only hit it with Play Rough which u nicely check s/o Xrn for the spread:

252 Atk Absol-Mega Play Rough vs. 16 HP / 96 Def Infernape: 128-151 (43 - 50.8%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO

This is a good moment to mention I had the inspiration to run Iron Plate Mono Attack from Killintime since they brought it to a tournament before. Surprisingly Close Comat with Fist Plate hits incredible hard and can get huge damage on neutral foes. The :mienshao: Calc for example:

144 Atk Fist Plate Infernape Close Combat vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Mienshao: 279-328 (94.2 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

I value the damage on :entei:, :virizion:, :metagross: and others more than bulk. The goal is to weaken the Team to either allow :reuniclus: to shine or :sceptile-mega: to clean. Max Speed is needed for Ties against :virizion: and :cobalion: and be faster than the threat :mienshao:. Slack helps for longevaty.

:xy/Sceptile-Mega:
Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Explanation

:sceptile-mega: is considered on a downfall since grass types suffer the problem of switching in on Scald. But this Team has many ways to deal with burns and Scald, so it isn't an issue. I like it as a cleaner since it actually hits pretty hard and Assault Vest :mienshao: can't switch in so freely since the combination of Dragon Pulse and Leaf Storm threaten a kill. In general Sceptile-Mega hits harder than you expect so don't sleep on it. U can easily double in on waters with it and punish them. It is a nice Cleaner. Giga Drain is there for longevity and also giving yourself an option to spam grass type attacks without lowering your Special Attack with Leaf Storm. I opted for Hidden Power Fire since I think hitting the Steels 100% of the Times, instead of 70% of the time with Focus Blast. It has a great speed tier of 145, so it cleans quite convenient.

Conclusion

This Team offers a lot of dynamic counterplay against the metagame. You solve problems via Speed and aggressive Switches, thanks to the fast-paced Team. It offers good Fallbacks like :empoleon:, :seismitoad: and :crobat:. :reuniclus: has only a limited pool of true answers like :Doublade: since this set lacks Shadow Ball but :reuniclus: will find it's way through a Team eventually. This Team utilized established Pokémon and beats the standard meta with more or less unique choices. I reckon many Teams are still weak to Scald and Will-O-Wisp, so the Nape Set and other Pokémon with Will-O-Wisp are worth trying in practise. I hope :Reuniclus: will be recognized as a staple of the meta, instead of being put into the box "cheese" and people ignoring it in the builder. I have a lot of fun playing my favourite tier ORAS UU and I don't think the meta is that solved as many think. Much room for creativity is possible and I want to prove it in the future as well. Stay tuned for more content!

Thanks for taking your precious time reading my RMT :blobuwu:

Replays:
UUFPL Week 5, Sylvi vs. Amukamara:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen6uu-689517

Paste:
https://pokepast.es/313756f854434927
Thanks for Xrn testing the Team and Wanka helping to discuss ideas. Pak for being an inspiration to build within this tier and the Horizon RMT as a Layout Idea for this RMT. Thanks pokemonisfun for checking some parts for the language

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Refresh

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Defog
- Roar

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Crobat @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Roost

Infernape @ Fist Plate
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 16 HP / 144 Atk / 96 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)