SS Doubles OU Fighting Fire - Double Band Thundurus-I (peak 1736, 41st)

Glimmer

We own the night
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
:ss/thundurus::ss/zygarde::ss/genesect::ss/scrafty::ss/volcanion::ss/rillaboom:

Hi everyone! As a last RMT of the gen, I wanted to return to my main tier, Doubles OU. I haven't been playing much of this tier lately and this team helped me a lot when getting back to the tier.

-Teambuilding

:thundurus::zygarde:

Thundurus always seemed appealing to me in DOU, as its Prankster Thunder Wave and Taunt can distrupt a lot of offenses. Zygarde takes great advantage of the Thunder Wave support as its Thousand Arrows is the most spammable STAB in the tier, and the only thing stopping it from spamming Thousand Arrows is faster pokemon OHKOing it (and also Grass-types but that came to my mind later in the building process lol)

:thundurus::zygarde::genesect::volcanion:

Choice Band Genesect also benefits heavily from Thunder Wave, being able to click U-turn way more safely is great for it. Volcanion supports Zygarde and Genesect greatly, eating Ice- and Fire-type attacks that try to target them and hit Grass- and Fire-types that try to switch in on both.

:thundurus::zygarde::genesect::scrafty::volcanion::rillaboom:

Rillaboom is just a great glue as much as I hate it, it perfectly fits in because it can reset Misty Terrain for Thundurus and Psychic Terrain for Extreme Speed from Genesect. Scrafty was my last mon choice solely because the team felt lacking of proper Psychic- and Ghost-type answers.

Scrafty didn't feel all that neccesary though, so I have also been suggested to use and used a :mew: version, it loses to Ghost-types way harder but has actual speed control in form of Tailwind.

-Sets

:ss/thundurus:_____________________________:ss/zygarde:_____________________________:ss/genesect:
Thunder's Edge (Thundurus) @ Sitrus Berry__Last Reel (Zygarde) @ Choice Band__________Facticius (Genesect) @ Choice Band
Ability: Prankster______________________________________Ability: Aura Break______________________________________Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe___________________EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe__________________EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature______________________________________________Jolly Nature_______________________________________________Jolly Nature
- Taunt________________________________________________- Thousand Arrows____________________________________________- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave_______________________________________- Thousand Waves________________________________________________- U-turn
- Thunderbolt____________________________________________- Superpower__________________________________________- Extreme Speed
- Protect________________________________________________- Extreme Speed______________________________________________- Gunk Shot
Thundurus role is spreading Paralysis and distrupting Trick Room, Tailwind etc. It does this distrupting using its Fast Prankster Taunt and Thunder Wave. Thunderbolt is its strongest stab and chunks Tapu Fini. Protect is just a generally really useful move. Sitrus Berry heavily increases its staying power, giving it immediate healing.

Zygarde is good at one job, clicking Thousand Arrows. And it does this perfectly, utilizing the Choice Band. With help from Thundurus Thousand Arrows becomes way more spammable as the opponents become slower than Zygarde. The other moves for Zygarde don't really matter, but Thousand Waves is okay to trap the opponent when their Flying-type is gone. Extreme Speed is good priority and Superpower hits Ferrothorn.

Genesect is a potent wallbreaker with STAB U-turn, boosted by Choice Band. If Genesect gets an attack boost from Download its Extreme Speed becomes a great cleaning tool. Iron Head is its secondary STAB. Gunk Shot can nail Tapu Fini when you can't go into Rillaboom.

:ss/scrafty:____________________________________:ss/volcanion:________________________________:ss/rillaboom:
Traces (Scrafty) @ Assault Vest_________Boiling Hearts (Volcanion) @ Safety Goggles___Blooming Boom (Rillaboom) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate___________________________________Ability: Water Absorb________________________________________Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD_________________EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD__________________________EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature________________________________________Modest Nature______________________________________________Adamant Nature
- Fake Out______________________________________________- Steam Eruption____________________________________________________- Fake Out
- Close Combat___________________________________________- Heat Wave___________________________________________________- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off_______________________________________________- Earth Power_______________________________________________- Wood Hammer
- Ice Punch_________________________________________________- Protect___________________________________________________________- U-turn
Scrafty has great bulk and power, also has a lot of distruption tools (Intimidate, Fake Out). Scrafty's STABs are really strong, Close Combat providing a lot of damage and Knock Off being great utility. Ice Punch helps against Landorus as it is pretty annoying for the entire team. The EVs are for maximum damage output and bulk.

Volcanion is one of the best Water-types, it also synergizes greatly with Genesect and Zygarde, hitting Fire- and Grass-types super effectively. Safety Goggles was my item choice to make opposing Amoonguss way less threatening. Steam Eruption is a great move, and Heat Wave is a spammable spread STAB, Earth Power was my move choice for opposing Volcanion.

Rillaboom is a great fit with the ability to reset terrain, give free turns for its offensive partners, and be a great check to Zygarde, Tapu Fini and Urshifu. Rillaboom uses the standard set of Fake Out Grassy Glide with Max HP and Assault Vest to give it better luck against Choice Specs Tapu Fini or Choice Band Urshifu.

-Threats

:diancie: and :celesteela: are quite annoying to handle in Trick Room, as the Steel-type of the team is neutral to Rock and Flying, and the Rock-type resists are weak to Fairy. :heatran: is also a threat if :volcanion: can't be preserved.

-Showcase

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1709658332

This match was against fangame (although it moreso shows how broken Choice Band :genesect: is, claiming a kill from the start off of a singular play)

(proof of peak, ik it isnt that impressive but its good for me being washed in my opinion)​

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)