Metagame Favorite Teams of the Generation!

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Approved by Megazard & Akir
Art by: Blazenix
https://www.smogon.com/forums/attachments/untitled-1-png.207296/

Hey, like the title says this thread is where you can post some of your favorite teams of Generation 7 PU! Please keep in mind that while you can post multiple, dumping half of your builder would defeat the purpose. Looking forward to seeing all of your teams, and reading why you loved them so much!

Last edited:
You already know what it is

Tundra (Aurorus) (M) @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

Burgundy (Avalugg) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Roar

Cold front (Articuno) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Roost
- Freeze-Dry
- Hurricane

FilthyFridge (Rotom-Frost) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Defog

Siren (Lapras) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Rest

Coldsteel (Sandslash-Alola) (M) @ Icium Z
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Icicle Crash
My good ol' go-to ice team, which I talked about in my RMT. An old version helped me get to #2 on the ladder. Working with a single type was tricky at first, so I had to come up with some tricks of my own, between rushing down with Coldsteel thanks to Aurorus' extended hail, stalling out Trick Room teams with Articuno's bean bag, letting Avalugg eat the physical hits, and Lapras tear down the stall teams. But above all else, using Rotom's Trick on things eager to get hazards up on my side was the most fun thing about it
rotom-trick.png

Infamy (Glalie) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Switcheroo
- Ice Shard
- Explosion

Burgundy (Avalugg) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Roar

Maytag (Rotom-Frost) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpA / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Defog

Tundra (Aurorus) (M) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Coldsteel (Sandslash-Alola) (M) @ Icium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

T H O T (Jynx) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Counter
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
My second successful go at making an all-ice team, looking to capitalize on when Froslass was still in the tier, who ran a very similar set of tricking a scarf, setting spikes, and preparing to go down with a fight. Avalugg and Coldsteel were still there, and Aurorus' set was based on something ShuckleDeath recommended in my RMT. The Rotom was changed up to something I use in Monotype, with the other big change being Jynx, who I would work extra hard to keep entry hazards off my side for so she could slap something with Counter before being told to be gone (T H O T). I wouldn't use this as often as on the ladder out of fear that it was more of a liability, but I did enjoy getting the most out of this in PU-held brackets

In the end, come whatever may, I'm glad I made the impact that I did to the point that anyone else using a mono-ice team would make a good amount of you think of me

Last edited:
damn I haven't made a post in a while but this seem like a good thread to.
This is a team I used a lot in early SM and it was one of the first showcases of Sub CM Sensu as well as Absol (my g since day 1), I used this team in a lot of my seasonal battles as well as one time in PUPL 3 and it pretty much became my go-to team as I even too the opportunity to RMT it but to give you a reminder, here it is.

https://pokepast.es/5e15071d5f9db764

This is another team I relied on that got me far in one of the early seasonal's last year. Ferro/Clef was a really good defensive core at the time which a lot of teams struggles to break through and I combined that with Hail to end up with this.

https://pokepast.es/d901722845968ce7
vs roman (ssnl semi finals?) - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-731996951
vs Toy Time King (ssnl again, yes I brought it 3 times in the bo3 lol) - 1 2 3
vs keldeo (some random tour) - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-736566001

This next team was actually a sample team and if you played PU about a year ago i'm sure you seen this on the ladder a lot. This team is also built around another popular defensive core at the time which i paired with Kangaskhan to make a team that had a good chance to win no matter what the matchup.

https://pokepast.es/c540b332a04375ff
can't find any replays of me using it so here is TJ
tjay vs Ktutverde - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-829968278
tjay vs Vulpix03 - 1 2

Last is a team I used in the previous PUPL and I like to think that it is one of the more successful takes on Hyper Offense this generation has seen, despite the playstyle not being great in general.

https://pokepast.es/ef0fb8c8cb7416d5

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
yh sure ig i'll play ball

England is my city

Dibs (Togedemaru) @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Fake Out
- Toxic
- Zing Zap

HJAD (Mesprit) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic
- U-turn

Taskr (Regirock) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 60 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Counter
- Stone Edge

Teddeh (Munchlax) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Anty (Weezing) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes

Yogi (Shiftry) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Rock Slide

ig my first "iconic" team. made this just after beta and topped the ladder p quickly. super enjoyed using this and reworking an old oras nu team. but holy fuck was this thing seen a load on ladder after i posted it geez.

Dancing bitch
:sm/bellossom::sm/weezing::sm/hitmonchan::sm/rotom_frost::sm/probopass::sm/swanna:
Bellossom @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
- Strength Sap
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Safeguard

Weezing @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 160 HP / 136 Atk / 100 SpD / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Rotom-Frost @ Icium Z
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Swanna @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Brave Bird
- Surf
- Defog

ig another team that saw some tour success. really enjoyed playing in tests with this as it was a pretty good meta pick after magmortar was banned. scarf swanna and probo and bellossom are meta relics sadly.

Yes.

:sm/qwilfish::sm/dusknoir::sm/aurorus::sm/jumpluff::sm/type_null::sm/sandslash_alola:
Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb / Scald
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Destiny Bond

Dusknoir @ Choice Band
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Shadow Sneak
- Ice Punch
- Trick

Aurorus @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Stealth Rock
- Freeze-Dry
- Flash Cannon / Hidden Power [Rock]

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Strength Sap
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Powder

Type: Null @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- U-turn
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Sandslash-Alola @ Icium Z
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Swords Dance

damn the only team i've currently posted that's still legal but damn was it decent. weird role compression + broken sleep and hail helped me both top the ladder and win me a pupl game so yh this team is fun. probs even works in this meta if ur crazy ig.

overall this gen was super interesting glad i got to be involved with pu and a load of things inside of the tier, even if i quit loads and will probs quit next week. peace.

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Guess I might aswell drop a few

:sm/shiftry: :sm/eelektross: :sm/Pinsir: :sm/Crabominable: :sm/Gastrodon: :sm/Silvally-fairy:
https://pokepast.es/2d238c1530470af2 Scarf Shiftry + AV Crab thing

Not sure what it was about this team but it kinda just worked despite speedbuilding it in maybe 5 mins tops lol. Lots of fun mons including some sleeper threats like Shiftry and Pinsir. Still legal but prolly not that great today (loses to tort lol)

:sm/raichu-alola: :sm/primeape: :sm/Lurantis: :sm/eelektross: :sm/regirock: :sm/oricorio-sensu:
https://pokepast.es/15984460842f99dc Raichu Alola + Ape team built for teambuilding lab

Fun build here, Raichu + Sensu is a cool little offensive core then some nice defensive back bones in Lurantis Eel Regi. Just plays really fun and I enjoy Raichu a lot more in this later part of the gen.

:sm/eelektross: :sm/absol: :sm/raichu-alola: :sm/mudsdale: :sm/sandslash-alola: :sm/Jellicent:
https://pokepast.es/80c256ab19079650 Absol + Raichu Alola

Similar to the other build Raichu is dope, Absol is dumby strong and you can generally rely on them to punch holes when played right. Fun to play and prolly still usable today

Great gen for building but enjoyed it a lot more near the end as you can tell lol, looking forward to what we have in store in gen 8 :bloblul:

Last edited:

dibs

double iron bashes
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
in loving memory of charizard
êmia (Kangaskhan) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Fake Out
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

mxmtoon (Drifblim) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 16 Def / 16 SpD / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

limbo (Qwilfish) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 140 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Taunt

sadkid (Ferroseed) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

saib (Hitmonchan) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

samsa (Charizard) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Roost
- Celebrate
this team looks so ugly now with scald qwilfish, fake removal hitmonchan, toxic ferroseed the musharna counter and old acroblim, but this was probably peak kangablim action. charizard was the perfect win condition to pair with kangablim, aside from it being unfairly broken it took advantage of the core overwhelming regirock perfectly, which at the time was the best rocker. no i don't want this revived 'cos zard was insane, but i'll always have a soft spot for this team.

As always, UwUsius strikes again when it comes to teambuild :^)

Miniature_531_XY.png
Miniature_132_XY.png
Miniature_334_XY.png
Miniature_436_XY.png
Miniature_195_XY.png
Miniature_773_SL.png

Audino @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
Silvally-Fairy @ Fairy Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Thunderbolt
- Multi-Attack
- Toxic
Bronzor @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psywave
- Toxic
- Rest
Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 0 Spe
- Transform
Altaria @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Heal Bell
Quagsire @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Unaware
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Recover
- Curse
Here is probably my favorite team from this SM PU era. I know it's a stall team but look, people loved to say back in the days that this playstyle was almost unviable since building bulky/fat appeared to be really complicated. However, You know me. Since I like challenges (and also because I've never tried that playstyle before), it was already decided that I would give it a shot! Little did I know that building stall wasn't that obvious. This tier has sooooo many threats to take care of and only few ressources to deal with those :x I was mostly looking for my stall to:

1. Deal with opponent stalls easily
2. Be able to deal with most of the popular offensive mons from this tier
3. Be fun to play with

Nani?!? Having fun using stalls? oO Are you dumb or something Ueezus? That playstyle is here to reward lazy players that try hard way too much at Pokémon

^Sure thing, keep thinking this buddy. Meanwhile, I already knew what my stall would like and around which mon I would centralize it: ma fuckboi Ditto. Ditto is a Pokémon that have been almost never used in PU (at least, in tours/big events) when it is a common Pokemon in higher tier yet. That phenomenon always intrigued me. After all, Ditto is the probably one of the best answer to hyper offensive/fat teams. Ditto is also super fun to use. With it, you can easily scoot any moveset from your opponent and revenge kill anything that uses boost. Well, almost everything. Pokéeon that use bulky set up moves like Calm Mind or Bulk Up and that have recovery moves can give hard time to the purple gum. This is where the teammates come!

Miniature_531_XY.png

The most have
The only good wishpasser ngl. Every stall should have one. I mean, there is Lickilicky too that also has Oblivious for CM Taunt Oricorios but Regenerator in the long run was just way better. Z-Toxic helps you to deal with Taunt users such as Jellicent, the Oris, Froslass (rip) and Persian-A mostly.
252 EVs in HP and Special Defense along with a Careful nature allow Audino to take as little as possible from special attackers.

Miniature_436_XY.png

A fusion between Geodude and that would give you = BroDude
You know what they say, bro's before hoes right? That thing literally walls 80% of the meta, provides a lot of useful resistances and immunities + the rocks. What else do you need? With the mixed set that allows you to switch into both special/physical attackers, it's even worse. BRUH moment.

Miniature_334_XY.png

My cutie <3
Altaria is a solid pick on bulkier builds as a defensive cleric and check to powerful threats such as Eelektross, Swanna, Lurantis and Simisear thanks to its good bulk, access to Roost, and Dragon / Flying typing (and not because it's one of my favorite mon, no no :blobuwu:). Altaria's also more durable than other entry hazard removers such as Silvally-Dragon, and its typing makes it immune to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Sticky Web. Altaria also has Natural Cure, letting it act as a status sponge for its team and giving it an edge when facing other defensive Toxic users such as Regirock. The physical bulk on it was to absorbs better the hits of Primeape Band.

Miniature_773_SL.png

The hazard removal and Fight/Dark resist
Silvally-Fairy is a solid support Pokemon with effective 95 / 95 / 95 bulk, and a solid defensive typing in Fairy. Additionally, it is fast enough to outspeed every relevant Fighting- and Dark-type, bar Primeape, which it Speed ties with, and Alolan Persian and Shiftry, both of which can't deal very much damage to it. Silvally-Fairy also has access to Defog, making it a useful hazard remover on teams which want to keep momentum. Tbolt was mostly here for Qwilfish since hazards are the worst ennemies of stall teams.

Miniature_195_XY.png

Volt immun, check to bulky set up mons and second wincon of the team
Quagsire's ability Unaware coupled with its decent physical bulk, reliable recovery, and fantastic defensive typing allows it to check threats such as Golurk, Carracosta and Dodrio. Because of Unaware, Quagsire fills a crucial role and fits comfortably on stall teams as a complete stop to most physical boosters. Its typing gives Quagsire key resistances to Fire, Electric, and Rock, allowing it to completely stop certain Pokémon, especially with the Rindo that helps it to deal better with Raichu-A, Simisear and Eelektross (if ever necessary). Finally, Curse is here to provides a solid way to clean the opponent and to destroy bulky set up mons that Ditto fears.

Miniature_132_XY.png

The (X-)star of the team
Ditto is a rather unique Pokemon, as it has the ability Imposter, which allows it to copy the foe's moves and stats, apart from HP. This allows it to function as a decent anti-offense option and reliable revenge killer, as, with a Choice Scarf, it'll almost always outspeed the opposing Pokemon. Because of how Imposter functions, Ditto will have any entry hazard effects applied before it transforms, meaning that it'll only take neutral damage from Stealth Rock and ignore the Sticky Web Speed drop, allowing it to be a solid answer to Sticky Web teams. Ditto can also use its ability to scout movesets, providing information on what the opponent is running. It is also good against opponent stalls since this Pokémon can easily PPstall your ass and abuse of your own passivity. Reverse sweeping back people with their own mons and sets was also just fucking amazing, trust me. I've seen a lot of shit with that thing (Toxic Sub + Ice Punch Drain Punch LO Hitmonchan for example :bloblul: S/o LST for that heat idea tho)

The gameplan with the team was mostly to chip damage the oppo with Toxic and offensive moves as well as keeping the field clean from any hazards in order to let Quag/Ditto sweeping at the end. I never had so much fun in my life by using one team. I succeed to reach 31-2 in terms of wins, which is already impressive! Maybe some of you remember of the test battles against that team ;) It was suppose to be a secret team at the base but since Quag left the tier (F), I guess it's not useful to do so anymore. Too bad since it would have been even better in this new meta because of the departure of Froslass.

That team had everything I loved in it. It made an underrated/hard to manipulate playstyle work, it used a lot of weird sets/mons aaand it was super cool to use. I swear! After all, fights never lasted more than 40-50 tours with this build, which is incredibly short for a match that includes stall. It was due to the Toxic spam and Ditto+Quag of course, but still.

Some replays of me using that goat team right here:
There is not a lot of them sadly since it was supposed to be a secret team and all, so I've rarely kept replays.

Finally, I would love to s/o ma bois tlenit1 and Crying Lightning who always supported me in my crazy ideas of stall and who actually helped me as fuck to improve myself in that over hated playstyle that has a lot to offer when you take the time to involve yourself into it. Seriously guys, a lot of you hates stall but most of you haven't even build any. Personally, I think it's by building stall that we understand it and that we figure out three things:
1. No, it's not brainless at all. A good stall always takes time to build and to be optimal. The Ditto stall is the fruit of 3 weeks of work for example
2. Stall has actually a lot of problems, so it's not at all a "guaranteed win" when you use it... People need to stop thinking that during PU tours for example lmao. Dumb and/or bad stalls can only loose.
3. You will learn more effectively and deeply how to counter stall, which is a good thing if you hate stall that much

That you like it or not, you will always get something positive out of it by building and using stalls.

That's all for me, have a nice day/night PU! See you soon (I hope) in gen 8 :D

Attachments

Last edited:

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
I have a bunch of different teams that I've really enjoyed using both throughout SM and USUM metas. This was a super good gen for me building-wise and even though I never had super good tour success, I had more fun building this generation than I ever had in ORAS so here are some of my favorites.

Mudsdale was easily one of my favorite mons in early SM due to its huge Attack stat and STAB Earthquake. So the obvious immediate choice was to slap a Choice Band on it. This team also used the broken mon that is Z-move Charizard. Scarf Simisage was also a mon I thought was really underrated, being able to outspeed and beat +1 Charizard, Lilligant, Primeape, and other similar stuff. Overall this is one of my favorite teams from the entire generation because I built it entirely on my own and it worked really well in early meta tournaments.

This was my first RMT of the generation and as such, was one of my favorite teams. Lilligant+Stoutland was such a great offensive breaking core and the rest of the team fit really well together. I'm not sure how much more I can add that isn't in the RMT so if you're more interested in it, read that for my full thoughts. Both replies helped to improve the team further but since this was the original version that I built myself I felt that this one should be the one I highlighted.

I had about a 2-3 month period of time where I was a huge fan of Acid Spray due to the amount of offensive momentum it can make for special breakers. This team used two Acid Spray users in Victreebel and Eelektross which helped break special walls like Audino, Lanturn, and even opposing Assault Vest Eelektross. In particular, Grassium Z Victreebel could put a huge amount of work in by forcing switches getting its opponent to -2 SpDef.

This team was made at the height of Mudsdale+Eel cores and I really wanted to disrupt that. So Grass Knot Kecleon was the lure I used to bait Mudsdale. Just more of a really fun meme-ish team that worked really well on ladder.

This team combined the really good pair of Stoutland and Lycanroc to break through and weaken teams hard then SD and sweep respectively. Scarf Dodrio is also still an insanely good mon and then Eel, Muds, and Lurantis act as the kind of defensive core. Double Dog is such a good core and this team actually did well for me in early round tournaments for a while.

Honorable Mention goes to this Gourgeist set that I made up as soon as we found out the Z-Trick-or-Treat was an omni-boosting move because I loved this set and had a team with it but lost it throughout the year.

Gourgeist @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Trick-or-Treat
- Seed Bomb
- Phantom Force
- Shadow Sneak / Rock Slide / Synthesis / Bullet Seed / Explosion

Last edited:
hlelo pu frens, i wanted to make a team dump for a while and i'm glad this thread is up and the opportunity arised. i started playing competitive mons late last year and was admittedly p shit (i didn't believe in stealth rocks lol) until around april/may so my first functional builds were from late mes/early guzz meta. the teams below are presented in a chronological order, and most of them have been built after the mes rise/guzz ban so they're usable in current meta if u wish to try them out (feel free to hmu if u do, i'd love to hear about ur experience with them/any advice/criticism if u have any). it's been a great ride so far but the current meta is def my favorite to build in, nothing is inherently broken, some mons are clearly above others but there's still plenty room for creativity and experimentation.

super thankful to everyone who has been here for the past year, and especially to gum, tom holland (come back pls), and PTF (and anyone else who i might've forgotten) who have greatly helped me refine my skills as a builder and a player (mostly as a builder bc i'm a straight up unviable player tbh). ok here we go! (click sprites for importables)

:silvally::sandslash-alola::mudsdale::victreebel::guzzlord::mesprit:
this has been my go-to bo team for a while. built this during mid-to-late guzz meta when sd fairyvally just started emerging as a set and seemed to be an incredible wincon with guzz being a massive threat for every team and mesprit truly shining as a partner with momentum and healing wish support. the team also featured av guzz as a slow breaker and semi-specially defensive backbone, spdefslash (remember when it used to be good? pepperidge farm remembers) for hazard removal and hail mu, vic for further capitalizing on the momentum provided by mes and fairyvally, and muds doing usual muds stuff like switching into ape when i cba with fairyvally-ape speedties.

:hitmonchan::stoutland::pinsir::aurorus::victreebel::mesprit:
(why is av chan my defensive backbone lol) pretty brain-dead team built with the intent of supporting pinsir by destroying any resemblance of a physical wall like regi/muds using hard hitters like aurorus and vic and providing opportunities for pinsir to set up and sweep. also featured other wallbreakers like stoutland so the team doesn't end up deadweight in case i managed to sack pinsir. used it in pu open and won so i like it ig. (sorry i'm not too descriptive about the teambuilding process, it's certanly been a long time since i last used this)

:drampa::masquerain::eelektross::silvally::regirock::primeape:
def my fav team of the generation and my proudest achievement to this day. masq (god mon) has been my favorite mon for a while and i did build with it several times before but all previous efforts have been really bad lol. tom holland inspired me to let go of my fear of losing masq early and go z-move over focus sash, turning it into a truly fearsome sweeper that can threaten some of our best specially defensive mons like eelektross and cryo (and defensive tort although it was built way before it dropped). half of the team is voltturnpart members working to maximize masq's switch-in opportunities (it can switch in directly on a few threats like gurdurr/vic/lurantis but u usually don't want to risk that), with fairyvally being chosen as the defogger bc removal with momentum is rly nice for 4x rocks weak mons. regi (used to be a muds initially, s/o to Urusius for suggesting the change and taking this team to the next level) has excellent offensive/defensive synergy with masq and can switch into oricorios trying to steal a quiver dance. drampa was added as the last partner bc of how stupidly good it is with three voltturn partners. the team is still super fun to use, it has seen some minor moveset modifications over the time like energy ball over focus blast on drampa bc of that one time i faced a fairy+jellicent core on ladder and got tilted by 50/50s. also RANK MASQ

:ursaring::victreebel::lanturn::regirock::cryogonal::swanna:
a collaborative effort with gum. we built this at the height of eel usage and ursa seemed like a stupidly good mon in the current meta, esp as an anti-lead that can set up on eel and scout ape for u-turn/close combat. vic is a natural partner as together they work very much like stout+vic, regi+cryo is a super solid defensive core on bo teams and provide a ton of role compression, and lanturnt and swanna completed the team, providing momentum, speed control, and enough water to keep simisear/combusken from destroying the team. solid team overall, we both laddered with it for a while (no peak or w/e for me bc i'm a sewage player), tom holland used it in one of his pu ssnl matches and won. it was also the basis for the stout+vic voltturn that i submitted as a sample team, not gonna post it here but u can check it out if u wish to read more about it.

:mudsdale::purugly::roselia::swanna::cryogonal::silvally:
one of three teams i built for budget tour (the other two being a masq voltturn and a tspikes semistall featuring subdisable golduck). recent tiering changes in gen4 pu made purugly a top-tier mon there and i was inspired to use it as a budget kanga that can take advantage of defog users with defiant and also function as a relatively fast pivot. muds (used to be a regirock, more on that later) does the usual muds stuff, roselia was chosen as a spiker bc it's cheap and it's not ferro (digimon), scarf swanna makes another appearance here as a very decent cleaner that also provides speed control, cryo is the best rapid spinner in the meta and 1v1s a ton of special attackers, and sd ghostvally was mainly there for spinblocking but also provided the team with a bit more offensive presence. regi ended up being detrimental to this team as i got swept by mawile+manectric (kek) and lost round 2 due to it, and it got replaced with muds later. still a fun team for when i wanna meme on lowladder.

:articuno::musharna::mudsdale::absol::lanturn::silvally:
i love 4x rocks weak mons if u couldn't tell by now lol. a fairly recent team as evident by future sight mush and cb absol, both of which have been gaining traction lately. articuno is a sleeper threat with a very decent offensive movepool, good speed tier and enough bulk to comfortably switch into threats like vic comfortably even without investment. future sight mushy is really good now, pressures fighting-types and everything else with future sight and provides healing wish support to whoever needs it, muds takes phys hits, absol clicks buttons and deals dmg, scarf lanturnt provides momentum and can nail surprise revenge kills on a lot of stuff, and fairyvally is chosen as a defogger for also being able to provide momentum alongside hazard removal for cuno as well as for applying a bit more pressure on fightings. not very standard meta, def more of a high-risk, high-reward kinda team, really fun to use, has been my go-to team recently.

that's it for this post. uni is taking a toll on my free time so idk if i'll be able to keep up with all meta advancements until gen8 pu starts but regardless i'll try to stay fairly active in the community and i can't wait to see what the future holds for us. thanks for reading!

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this gen, much more fun for me than the last tbh. Here's my fave teams!

i got it i got it (Illumise) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- U-turn
- Encore
- Wish

i got it i g0t it (Aggron) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Head Smash
- Protect
- Toxic

i g0t it i got it (Altaria) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
- Defog

i g0t it i g0t it (Raticate-Alola) @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off

i got 1t i got it (Oricorio-Pom-Pom) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Hurricane

i got it i got 1t (Gastrodon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Def / 156 SpA
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Scald

This was the team I used for Passimian reqs. Illumise/Aggron is a core I went on to use for a lot of the gen - spdef Aggron covered a lot of ground when it came to common special attackers at the time and Illumise was a good blanket phys check, particularly to fighting types, and could support Aggron with wish. With this, they both brought pretty crucial support with rocks and prankster encore, meaning I could build quite freely around them.

Altaria and Gastro filled out the defensive backbone, and then I just used two of my favourite boppers at the time. Pom Pom wasn't really a thing back then, particularly mono-hurricane CM (yeah I'm taking the credit for that one, I could use the clout), so a lot of teams just got straight up 6-0'd cuz no one was prepared lol. Band Faticate is meanwhile is one of those mons with insane potential but you kinda have to be a god to use it right, which is a fun challenge, and since the rest of the team was solid enough I had room for some less reliable action. Between Sucker, Double Edge and Pursuit a kill was guaranteed with this if you made the right prediction (and if it hit hehe).

Volbeat @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Encore
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Iron Tail

Victreebel @ Life Orb
EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
- Strength Sap
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder

EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

Mesprit @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Protect

Poliwrath @ Waterium Z
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave

This is Kingler suspect era. Bug/Aggron is back, but this time I use Volbeat because Tailwind is the core of this team. Everyone on the team except Mesprit and Volbeat had the duality of being fat enough with decent typings and pretty strong at the same time, which meant they could find space to switch in when Tailwind was set up and then shrug off priority while bopping stuff. A pretty simple team, but I just love using Tailwind Volbeat, it can create such great comeback moments in games.

Illumise @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Roost
- U-turn
- Encore

Wishiwashi @ Leftovers
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- U-turn
- Scald

Bronzor @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Hypnosis
- Psywave
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Multi-Attack
- Parting Shot
- Tailwind

bon appetit bébé (Raticate-Alola) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Hustle
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Double-Edge

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Acid Spray
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower

This is more recent, around Guzzlord times. Some returning faces, as always, but what I loved using in this team was Wishiwashi. It answered a bunch of prominent mons and provided good offensive presence and fantastic pivoting abilities with Scald + U-turn. Along with Eel, Illumise an Silv it became and annoying fat Voltturn kinda team that I had a lot of fun with! Except Bronzor. Hate that mon this gen, but it filled certain gaps that needed filling.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
There were so many teams I had this gen, but these were probably my favorite or my most successful. I really tried to cut it down, I promise!

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

Togedemaru @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Wish
- U-turn
- Encore
- Zing Zap

EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Punch

Oricorio-Sensu @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hurricane
- Substitute
- Revelation Dance

Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off

Guzzlord @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 188 SpD / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse

Easily one of my best teams of the gen; I submitted this as a sample the night before Guzzlord left the tier for the first time, so you didn't really see this. Some meta trends that hadn't quite come into play at this point were CS Togedemaru, bulky Roost Oricorio-Sensu (with enough creep for Adamant Skuntank), Oricorio-E as a meta staple, and Z or AV Guzzlord. I later took this team as a skeleton and revamped it for a team lab submission here. Some differences too between this meta and that meta: AV Hitmonchan was more integral to that meta and it was passable as a blanket check for scary threats like Pyroar and Aurorus.

The basic aim of this team was to support Guzzlord in breaking down specially defensive walls via Specs Draco Meteor, which would place SubCM Z Oricorio-Sensu in a great position to clean up. Guzzlord was supported by Hitmonchan's Rapid Spin / Mesprit's Healing Wish / Togedemaru's Wish, so it had ample opportunities to wallbreak for Oricorio-G each match. Carracosta was mainly used as the team's normal resist and to wear down teams early- to mid-game via SR, Knock Off, and possible Scald burns so that Guzzlord could accomplish its task more easily. You'd typically pivot around with Mesprit's and Togedemaru's U-Turn to find opportunities to fire off a Specs Draco Meteor, or to setup a free Substitute with Oricorio-G after you grabbed momentum. During late-game, you'd typically use Scarf Mesprit (if it hadn't used HW) and Hitmonchan to clean up whatever was left. Overall, the type synergy here was solid, but it could be pretty weak to meta-relevant threats at the time, like Fightinium Z NP Alolan Raichu, as well as Fighting-types if Mesprit and Oricorio-G weren't healthy enough to take a hit.

Oricorio-Sensu @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Taunt

EVs: 244 HP / 152 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Kingler @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Liquidation
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Pyroar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Unnerve
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Toxic

This team is pretty much as meta as they come, with SF LO Double Dance Kingler + CS Pyroar forming the team's offensive core, while that classic FerroClef core backed by bulky Oricorio-G and AV Hitmonchan formed the team's defensive backbone. Sassy 0 Spe IV Clef had just been invented for minimizing Ferroseed's Gyro Ball damage against Clefairy, and people were experimenting with Pyroar's 4th moveslot on choiced movesets - here, Toxic was used for weakening its own switch-ins, especially AV Lanturn, AV Hitmonchan, and Regirock, the main Pokemon you'd use to wall Pyroar at the time.

Abomasnow @ Icy Rock
EVs: 176 HP / 80 SpA / 36 SpD / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Blizzard

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb

Quagsire @ Poisonium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Curse

Carbink @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast

Sableye @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Safety Goggles
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog
- Revelation Dance

This was more of a 'for fun' team for our 2nd annual Secret Santa. I built ~6 Hail squads for Sceptistar with full descriptions here. I had been experimenting with specially defensive SR Carbink here and using that as a switch-in for Drampa, Magmortar, and Pyroar (before Drampa was running Surf). Safety Goggles was a measure taken for avoiding Hail damage, as well as Lilligant's Sleep Powder so Oricorio-E would be around to deter Lilligant from doing too much here. Oricorio-E was also becoming more common at this point in the meta, as it could feasibly check Archeops lacking Stone Edge (though you'd still have to scout for it).

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Waterfall

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Discharge

Houndoom @ King's Rock
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Beat Up
- Pursuit
- Overheat
- Will-O-Wisp

Sawsbuck @ Metronome
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Headbutt
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech

Toucannon @ King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- Fury Attack

Sandslash-Alola @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Icicle Crash
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake

After Ktütverde posted his Beat Up Houndoom set during the Houndoom suspect, I built this disgusting test team for reqs and posted it here. I also remade this for PUPL after Houndoom had been banned, and Jmash took the upgraded version to beat Chloe with it here. The newest version is in my PUPL dump post https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pupl-v-team-set-dump.3652145/#post-8175291.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Curse
- Earthquake

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aftermath
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch

Aurorus @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Earth Power

Sandslash-Alola @ Ghostium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 176 HP / 232 Def / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish

I passed this team around quite a bit; this was made right around the time Jellicent had dropped, and while Hail was still busted, offensive Alolan Sandslash really needed a way to bypass bulky Jellicent. So, Ghostium Z AlolaSlash was born. I passed this team to Akir for his Battle of the Week bout against Aaronboyer. Aurorus wasn't using Stone Edge over HP Rock at this point because Cryogonal hadn't dropped quite yet. This was also one of the first teams I used CM HP Fighting Oricorio-E for bringing in and bopping CS Togedemaru.

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 200 Def / 36 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

Froslass @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond
- Spikes
- Ice Beam

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 176 HP / 232 Def / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
- Healing Wish
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 220 Def / 248 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Toxic

Sandslash-Alola @ Aguav Berry
EVs: 232 HP / 216 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Toxic

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Frustration
- Brave Bird
- Jump Kick

Just my old sample - the description is over here. This team was created at the height of specially defensive Alolan Sandslash's effectiveness, but that set slowly dropped off, especially during PUPL, as people started to really gravitate toward CM or Specs HP Fighting / HP Fire Mesprit, as well as other big meta staples like Grassium Z Victreebel with HP Fire.

Quagsire @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Curse
- Recover

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Hurricane

Guzzlord @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 136 Def / 252 SpA / 60 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Stealth Rock

Sandslash-Alola @ Aguav Berry
EVs: 232 HP / 216 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Icicle Crash

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Frustration
- Jump Kick
- Brave Bird

Another PUPL squad that was one of my favorites; I passed this to Raiza for his week 1 match against Yogi, here. This team was more unique, because despite Clefairy falling off in the meta, this team still made good use of it here in a defensive core together with Quagsire.

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Omastar @ Normalium Z
Ability: Weak Armor
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Reflect Type
- Wring Out

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flame Charge
- Multi-Attack
- Defog

Golurk @ Colbur Berry
Ability: No Guard
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dynamic Punch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Electrode @ Light Clay
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Volt Switch

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam

This was the team I made during week 5 of PUPL where I really played around with Omastar's sets and innovated some techs with it. I played around with new sets in SS + Endure + Weak Armor + Waterium Z for a way to sweep past CS Primeape, SS + Normalium Z Wring Out + Normalium Z Reflect Type, and dual hazards +WA + Focus Sash + Reflect Type. I don't really remember why, but we decided not to use this squad even though I thought this was pretty solid offensively. Even if you somehow managed to RKO Omastar with something like Gurdurr or Hitmonchan (or Poliwrath), SD Silvally-Fairy or offensive Mesprit would just be brought out right after, taking full advantage of dual Screens set by Electrode. Some of these Omastar sets are explained more in depth, here.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't want to do a bunch of descriptions but here's some of my favorite old meta teams. Free Miltank :psycry:

:Exeggutor-Alola: :Skuntank: :Silvally: :Raichu-Alola: :Miltank: :Primeape: I invented TR egg :bloblul:
:Eelektross: :Skuntank: :Golurk: :Primeape: :Silvally: idk how to do a regular Jynx sprite :/
:Spiritomb: :Ferroseed: :Miltank: :Aurorus: :Primeape: :Swanna: I RMT'd this a while back
:Kingler: :Mesprit: :Magmortar: :Togedemaru: :Hitmonchan: :Spiritomb: what a weird team to look back on

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
This team stuck out like a sore thumb since it's the only team I used through my Guzzlord suspect test run

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Shiny: Yes
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Facade

Mudsdale @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off

EVs: 48 HP / 208 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Flamethrower
- U-turn
- Defog

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Gunk Shot
- U-turn

Yeah, at first glance, Kang or Stout can come in on just about anything here and hit it hard since I lack a Normal resist, but I kept with it and it got me a 21-game win streak to start my Guzzlord suspect test reqs run (eventually got reqs). Got one fighting check in Fairyvally and yeah that puts a lot of pressure on it but it did work. Also the soft fighting check in Muds which also put some strain on the team but nonetheless, this team just did work and, more importantly, their job!​

https://pokepast.es/386be8296a84050f

This squadron is some fire; at one point most of my builds in this generation turned into Omastar Spike stack with several pivots and Choice item users, and I think this turned out to be the best iteration.

You got Choice Band Liepard to start things off, a relatively strong and fast attacker that can pivot with U-Turn, knock things off, and Pursuit trap to open things up for other offensive Pokemon. Paralysis immunity as a small bonus too.
Up next is Omastar, who I've always liked defensively with its resistances to Flying and Normal, ability to potentially put physical attackers out of commission with a Scald burn (even though I've been on record being negative towards Scald as a move), and most importantly for this team, hazards. Now I normally aren't the biggest fan of SR and Spikes on the same mon, but Omastar is a smooth exception as it doesn't prevent Scald and Ice Beam from fitting on the set.
Gourgeist-Super, with Choice Band just like Liepard, is the third mon up. It's deceptively strong with Seed Bomb and Explosion, and Shadow Sneak is also a very strong STAB priority. Rock Slide is also a good coverage to catch anything unsuspecting on a prediction if it thinks it has a setup opportunity given how Gourgeist usually be.
Scarf Primeape, standard set, along with Mesprit and Liepard makes a cool U-Turning PDF. Mesprit can potentially bring teammates back with Healing Wish, pivot around with U-Turn, and provide solid offense with its attacks.
And finally, Drampa with Dragonium Z and Roost 3 attacks to finish the team. Devastating Drake is basically an OHKO on anything that breathes and Hyper Voice and Fire Blast are pretty strong as well, and Roost allows it to stay healthy.

I didn't play a lot of the tier this generation but I did thoroughly enjoy this team when i did.

zS

this is all a moo point
is a Top Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
I came really late on the gen but I had a lot of fun playing PU so I'll drop my favorite teams of the gen here :

sub 3 attacks crabo+scarf spunch absol

z-hyper beam noctowl+ng[fire] leaf

busken hail offense

bro+throh balanced

cromuk semi-stall

birdium-z cuno+crotomb offense

stallbreaker barbuck offense

Jumpluff ft Squash17

s/o Squash17 ^_^ Lambovino for your help you both guys helped me discovering this tier and you are still here for me so thank you. Also s/o Urusius Horodro to have accompanied me in my early days and to always be there when I need help. s/o les étoiles forever and ever!

Here comes the boomer who still regrets mesprit's era

mesprit.gif
kang.png
qwilfish.gif.m.1523036372.gif
spiritomb.png
regirock.gif.m.1532458525.gif
hitmonchan.gif

KangHazards + crotomb

1) You win 50% of your games by weakening your Spiritomb, then opponent thinks "hey he's too weakened, can't rest so it can't sweep me", sacs his crotomb's check and you have juste to hwish it because scarf hwish was somehow the best thing in the tier.
2) Stack hazard + ghost, only defogger was skun which is handled by getting crippled by tomb's dpulse and sr (black sludge could be a pain, but that wasn't a frequently played set iirc).

Regi's spread allows him to tank a drampa specs' DM, no objective reason for wanting to be able to tank that but I like spDef spreads on my def walls.

Can't bring myself to put a z-move here, every item is very convenient, if you had to put absolutly one maybe and juste MAYBE a z-normal ou z-ground would be acceptable on Kang. Crotomb's lefto are way too important to be removed.

A real pleasure to play, think I made hound + lilli ST and whole PULT with this single team, f ph for saying to my face once that spiritomb was trash.

My favorite team by far.

lougaroc.png
granbull.png
lanturn.png
scyther.png
mudsdale.gif
servine.png

Granbull is cool

It was made during the guzzlord era, and and I wasn't feeling like revamping it to the actual meta so despite being legal it's weak to many actual common mons. Ty Lambovino for being rekted in teamtour against that team, proving it to be cool af.

persian alola.png
hitmonchan.gif
pom pom.png
lurantis.png
regirock.gif.m.1532458525.gif
stout.png

First team's chimera

This one was made in an attempt to remake the first team, ended up having no spikes nor tspikes and no scarf, but hey it has a z-move now. Not bad actually.

Hope you understood that I like volturn.

Hi. It’s been a while. I’m a bit late but here is perhaps my favorite Gen 7 team. I used it off and on across multiple metas and it held up well with some minor tweaks. Ice is my favorite type so I wanted to make the most successful Hail team I could. Not just a team featuring the Aurorus/Alolaslash core, but a team that was chock full of Ice types and utilized Hail to the fullest. After a few iterations, I came up with a Hail Balance team that is powerful and, in my opinion, pretty fun to use. By the way, this is going to be kind of a long post so I'll tell you now that there is a link to another team at the bottom.
Aurorus @ Icy Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Silvally-Water @ Water Memory
Bold Nature
- Parting Shot
- Defog
- Grass Pledge
- Surf

Mesprit @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Sandslash-Alola @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Beartic @ Icium Z
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Icicle Crash
- Swords Dance
- Superpower

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Cloak
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Hurricane
- Substitute
- Roost

Aurorus @ Icy Rock

EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD

Modest Nature

- Blizzard

- Freeze-Dry

- Earth Power

- Ancient Power

I made Aurorus bulky and gave it Icy Rock so it could live longer and provide as much hail as possible. I ran Ancient Power over HP Rock because it was more fun. Every now and then I’d get a Gigaboost and that was pretty satisfying and sometimes even useful. I once got two in a row, which led to a sweep and a salty opponent. The low PP was only occasionally an issue.

Mesprit @ Leftovers

Calm Nature

- Healing Wish

- Psychic

- U-turn

- Stealth Rock

Mesprit served as a specially bulky pivot with Rocks, Healing Wish and a Fighting resist. What’s not to love? I know people ran 16 Speed on Defensive Mes for neutral nature base 50s but I was never sure if it was worth it since it was often nice to outslow them and get something else a safe switch in with U-Turn. A lot of Aggrons ran Jolly, anyway.

Silvally-Water @ Water Memory

Bold Nature

- Parting Shot

- Defog

- Grass Pledge

- Surf

Silvally-Water provided essential Defog support and acted as a physically bulky pivot. Water typing enabled it to counter mons like Kingler and Alolan-Sandslash, which were huge threats to other members of the team. It also kept scarf Togedemaru from freely spamming Iron Head. Grass Pledge complimented Surf’s coverage nicely and was especially good against Gastro and the other 4x-weak-to-Grass mons.

Sandslash-Alola @ Life Orb

Jolly Nature

- Icicle Crash

- Toxic

- Earthquake

- Swords Dance

Sandslash-Alola was an extremely threatening sweeper under hail and could also wallbreak. Ice+Ground coverage is amazing and Toxic threatened stallmons like Sableye and Pyukumuku. Jolly nature let it outspeed most common Scarfers, including Primeape and Togedemaru.

Beartic @ Icium Z

Adamant Nature

- Aqua Jet

- Icicle Crash

- Swords Dance

- Superpower

Beartic acted as another sweeper/wallbreaker. Although it remained unranked in the VR and was generally considered outclassed by AlolaSlash, it made a great partner for Slash and even outshone it under some circumstances. Having 2 powerful sweepers/wallbreakers meant that I could afford to use one to punch holes early game since the other could clean up late game. Beartic had a huge Attack stat and was bulky enough to find plenty of chances to setup. Under Hail, Beartic outsped every relevant non-Scarfed mon in the tier. Superpower complimented Icicle Crash nicely, granting it unresisted coverage until Jellicent dropped. Icium Z gave Beartic a nuke that OHKOed almost everything after one Swords Dance.

Unlike Slash, Beartic is only 2x weak to Fighting, meaning that it could often break through Gurdurr and Hitmonchan.

+2 252+ Atk Beartic Subzero Slammer (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 408-480 (109 - 128.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

192+ Atk Gurdurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Beartic: 144-170 (43.5 - 51.3%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Beartic Subzero Slammer (160 BP) vs. 156 HP / 0 Def Hitmonchan: 348-411 (124.2 - 146.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

224+ Atk Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Beartic: 176-210 (53.1 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Aqua Jet, although weak, was valuable priority. Notably, it gave Beartic a way of dealing with Scarf Pyroar, which outsped Sandslash-Alola.

+2 252+ Atk Beartic Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pyroar: 250-296 (79.8 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Sure, you needed Rocks up or a little chip damage, but that wasn’t a hard condition for this Hail team to meet.

Articuno @ Leftovers

Ability: Snow Cloak

Timid Nature

- Blizzard

- Hurricane

- Substitute

- Roost

Articuno is my favorite pokemon and it fit this team well. This set gave it great longevity and decent offensive presence. It beat many common Pokemon one on one, such as Skuntank, Weezing and most Mesprits. Snow Cloak complimented Sub/Roost by allowing Cuno to fish for a miss while hail chipped away at its opponent, particularly when faced with an already inaccurate move like Stone Edge. Articuno also checked Fighting types somewhat reliably and was useful for stalling out opposing weather/Trick Room.

Guess I should balance out all that Ice with some Fire. Here's a Sun-Trick Room team featuring Sunflora.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)