Favorite Pokemon to Use in Generation V

Excadrill has to be #1 for me. I remember transitioning from DPPt to BW, making a team filled with DPP Ubers like Deo-S and Latios, and then watching in total befuddlement as this derpy little mole outsped my Starmie. Using Excadrill was like using Arceus in Ubers, just absurdly easy to sweep with.

Dragonite and Lucario are close to that feeling as well. It's really fun to plan games around setting up that one SD or Dragon Dance that wins the game for you.

Although there were a number of Pokemon such as Starmie to which I have a strong loyalty, I'd say Volcarona was the most fun to use and my favorite Pokemon in Gen V OU. It could fit on so many different kinds of teams: balance, HO, sun, even rain. But the reason why it was so much fun was because a lot of games centered on whether or not you could give it the one chance to get it in safely, set up, and wreak havoc. It had a few weaknesses (STEALTH ROCK being the biggest and most obvious), but these risks taken and the plays made to avoid them (when you could bring something in to Spin, outplaying or being outplayed by spinblockers, bringing in weather, setting up Subs) were what made the game fun every time I used one. It was powerful without being overpowered.

Volcarona @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 SpDef
Nature: Modest / Timid
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance / Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain / Hidden Power Ground

My HO set, and sometimes my HO lead. Although early set-up is usually frowned upon, being able to come in without worrying about Rocks and crushing souls from turn 1 was a lot of fun. I started running HP Ground over Giga Drain when I realized that Heatran was just such an anti-meta Pokemon and so common that I needed to run it just so my sweep wouldn't end prematurely; also, for some reason, no one expects HP Ground on Volcarona.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Nature: Bold
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance / Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

My favorite set, because I really favor stall and balance over offense and HO. The given EVs hit 374 / 251 / 246 defenses, and the ability to do something akin to Calm Minding while Speed Boosting and Roosting off damage made for a dangerous set-up sweeper. You needed to make sure its counters were out of the way first, but again, that's what made so many of the games in which it took place so much fun. It required thought to get to a desirable end result. That pretty much summarizes Volcarona: a strong Pokemon which still requires thought and prediction to use.

Aww. Aren't we forgetting someone very important and close to our hearts, for better or for worse?

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

Terrakion
is easily one of my favourite setup sweepers of this gen. While he can fulfill a shitton of roles, [wallbreaker w/ CB, revenger with CS and a great speed stat of 108, etc], and excel at most of them, the Double Dancing set is one of my personal favourites. It's surprisingly adaptable, and once it manages to get a boost up, something's probably gonna take massive damage, at the very least. Getting a boost up isn't exactly hard, either; I'd hardly call Terrakion frail, though it has quite a few weaknesses: but that is made up for by the awesome coverage his STABs alone provide. This guy was one of the faces of BW1 OU, and is still great today. It's no mystery as to why: Terrakion is an absolute monster.

My favourite pokèmon in BW is absolutely Jellicent, it has a very wide movepool and can adapt itself to almost every situation and playstyle. I often consider Jellicent when i'm building my teams, in the last time i was using this set:

I'm Better Than Cruel (Jellicent) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Scald

This set allows me to get a great coverage with two fantastic STABs, i prefer to choose Scald over HPump/Water Spout because i tend to play very safely and the chance of burn with more accuracy and no dependence on HP accords to my playstyle. Jellicent is a great Pokèmon!

My favorite BW pokemon hands down is Rotom-W.

Its an incredible utility pivot, a staple to sand offense, and something that added a new and unique flavor to the idea of a bulky water type. I never liked choiced Rotom much (particularly scarf - like what are you outspeeding aside from D-Nite?) as it was massive Gastrodon bait back in BW1 and this mon is all about preserving momentum for your team and Choiced sets really inhibited that. Not to mention Will-o-Wisp was too prime to give up! In any case, Rotom-W found its place on many of my teams and it always performed its job reliably.

My favorite to use has been Haxorus
(excuse my lack of knowledge with regards to picture posting)
This more applies to recent times, as it has been declining in usage, but I always love pulling out dragon dance and surprising people with a Lum berry. I can outspeed nearly any non-scarfed switch-in, and low kick + dragon claw + EQ gives it pretty solid coverage. My Heatran can deal with those pesky bug-steel types (lookin at you scizor). Haxorus also holds sentimental value, because the shiny one in BW2 was the first pokemon I ever raised in-game for competitive-ish battling (It was adamant, and I'm not a fan of breeding). I've easily swept 3-5 pokemon with it before, and I remember one game that I butchered royally and then haxorus managed to set up 2 DD's (one on switch-in, another on will-o-wisp), then proceeded to send my enemy crying home "OP MOVE TO UBERS NOW!!!" Ahhh good times....

I've personally always really loved using Volcorona because once you got up a quiver dance or two, there never really was much that could stop it other than like heatran. Especially rain volc with Quiver Dance / Bug Buzz / Flame Blast / Hurricane or whatever the set was. I just found the bug so much fun to mash with.

Considering the amount of time I used my rain team in BW OU (read, almost all of it), it comes as no surprise that my favorite is one that practically feasts off rain: Vaporeon. My set is this:

Best Eeveelution (Vaporeon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Rest

Hydration and Rest mean it has effective immunity to status and instant full recovery in the rain. Scald is pretty much a necessity on bulky Water types these days, and Ice Beam gives a measure to hit assorted stuff off of Vaporeon's underrated 110 base SpA. Roar removes dangerous threats and racks up hazard damage. A rather underappreciated rain mon IMO.

keldeo would have to be my favorite mon in gen 5.

i've always found it to be an extremely reliable win condition with pretty much any of its sets, scarf, ebelt, cm or specs. it's extremely easy to build a team around keld, since it has very few checks, which can be handled by scizor, ttar and other things. although it was arguably best being used on sand offense or rain offense, i really enjoyed using it on sand stall as a cleaner, alongside a core hippo / rachi / celebi / jellicent.

No Celebi yet? C'mon guys!

This thing provides so much utility, its not funny. It resists Water, Ground and Fighting, has reliable recovery and tons of support options including Perish Song, Heal Bell, Leech Seed, Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave. However, my favorite set has to be the bulky attacker with max. SpA and enough Speed to outrun all Brelooms. Giga Drain, HP [Fire] and Recover are pretty much necessary, the last slot can either be Psychic, U-turn/Baton Pass, Earth Power or even Nasty Plot.

What sets it apart from Latias is its ability Natural Cure and the immunity to Leech Seed, which comes in handy against Ferrothorn. The Speed can be a letdown sometimes, but overall i rarely found myself not using Celebi throughout BW2.

Have a nice day

Last edited:
Though I only played OU very briefly, I have a couple:

Gastrodon may not be strictly OU, but, when used right, its an absolute house. With a very strong typing, an immunity to water, and a good supporting movepool, Gastrodon works as an excellent pivot. Similarly to Heatran (which I used on the same team, funnily enough) Gastro's big play was to switch in on Water attack, absorb it with Storm Drain, and then start firing off STAB Scald and Earth Power until it finally died. But the thing about Gastrodon was, because of its access to Recover, it often took your opponent at least a little while to actually kill it - especially when Gastrodon's only true OU counter Celebi was either not around or had already been preyed upon by Heatran or Scizor . And never without it doing some pretty respectable damage to the opponent's team. I honestly feel like Gastrodon never failed me.

I love me some Rotom-W. If I wasn't leaning on Gastrodon, I was leaning on Wash. I really love this thing. Although I know it couldn't possibly be literally true I honestly felt at the time that this thing was unbeatable. Even Blissey wasn't always a straight-up counter - her absurdly high HP made Pain Split incredible. A lot of times Wash could find just the right combination of Split and Hydro Pump to eke out a victory. And that was when the damn thing didn't just Switch out so my Scizor could start Dancing all over you. Ol' Wash really brought the team together. The combination of Will-O'-Wisp and Volt Switch made it the perfect companion to the star of the team, the aforementioned SD Scizor.

Wash and Gastro made that team what it was. Their respective strengths helped me work my way around a lot of terrifying threats and squeak by a few wins. They were invaluable at spreading a little damage around, stealing a few KOs, and making sure that Heatran and Scizor had no problem cleaning up the late game.

Man, I need to build this team again. I miss these two.

Gliscor is great on all stall teams, if you let him setup a sub your whole team could be gone as long as you remove has water and ice counters,
if you run a few speed EV's on this monster you can outspeed some Scizors, easily outspeed Heatran for a stab Earthquake, also great for taking out setup Celebi's and other grass types with Ice Fang.
Best setup on it is

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Protect
- Ice Fang

and you have a badass right there ladies and gents.

Ehh... Gen V would probably be Conkeldurr... With great attack and tanky stats, there was no way I could take this off of my team.

Last edited:
oh man I love using kingdra, trolling rain, sweeping sun with tales gone, and smashing holes in sand teams. too strong

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Evs: 252 spe / 252 spA
Modest
-Rain dance
-Surf / hydro pump
-Draco meteor
-dragon pulse / ice beam / hydro pump / signal beam (Trolololol)

Dragonite would have to be one of my favorites. Ah...watching Salamence outclass it for Generations finally came to an end. With Multiscale, one of my most liked Pokemon all the way from the RBY Era was finally one of, if not the best, Dragons in the tier. It was absolutely fun using it on my OU team this past Generation.

Espeon - Magic Bounce running Dual Screens, Psyshock and Yawn

Those that fall for it, do an immediate switch out, and I can bring in whoever I like...

Volcarona - running Quiver Dance, HP Ground, Fiery Dance and Giga Drain

A few Quiver Dances and this thing can take on literally anything.

Too bad for Gen 6 Hidden Power got nerfed and Giga Drain won't be available until PokeBank/Transfer

I really can't pick one - so I have to pick two. Both Pokemon got me out of so many situations that it wasn't funny, the latter earning a top spot in my list of favourite Pokemon because of it.

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect
- Rest

Vaporeon was my favourite Pokemon outside of competitive for a long time - and this cemented it. Vaporeon took hits like no one else could, and always fire back. He was the sole reason I started with a rain team, and the reason I kept going with it - due to its ridiculous special defense, all I had to do was invest in Def and HP, and boom. While I never swept with Vaporeon (nor anyone else - it was always a team effort), I could always count on him to take a hit or two. While Protect and Rest may seem kind of backwards at first, the combo works surprisingly well. Not sure if Vaporeon will survive another hit or not? Use Protect, gain some HP. Follow up with Rest, and BAM. Instant full health (not many things went after it).

Gliscor (M) @ Flying Gem
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 184 HP / 72 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Gliscor's odd moveset surprised many trainers - but it worked amazingly well, and the surprise factor really gave it an edge. Acrobatics & Flying Gem KO'd so many lead pokemon that it really set the tone for a lot of my team - weird movesets and confusing choices that melded together perfectly. It actually worked so well on so many pokemon that I promoted Gliscor to my lead (over Politoed - and on a rain team!) and it never failed me. Gliscor's offensive potential was downright amazing - I almost never had to use Roost, but it was there for when I needed it. I could go on and on about how Gliscor served me so well,but I feel that it's best to end it here. Just know that it saved my butt more times than I can count.

Sawbuck was by far my favourite pokemon to use in Gen 5 OU. Yes, I know it's an NU pokemon, but that doesn't mean to say it's bad. In Sun (Ninetales brought infinite sun Gen 5) Sawsbuck outspeeds even scarf latias. And after SD, you looking at about 600 attack. Then, watch as your powerful moves (yeah, STAB return!) Smash through your Opponent. What makes me like it so much is the fact that an NU pokemon is capable of completely destroying entire teams. It's such a shame that gen 6 nerfed weather. Now Sawsbuck will remain NU. Waste of potential.

Last edited:

Parasect was great fun to use for me on my rain teams - mostly because of everyone underestimating him. People would see it sent out into battle, instantly send in their Pokemon they thought would easily kill him, and get Spored. It was hilarious. Parasect would then Leech Seed the threat, fire off the occasional X-Scissor, and Aromatherapy if the opponent thought they could stall him down. I affectionately referred to mine as Shroomz. Shroomz had managed to kill off Terrakion, Latios, Landorus-T, and even more than one Heatran in his day, a testament to how good it really is and what a missed opportunity it was for people to use in in the rain. Unfortunately, without perma-rain in Gen 6, Shroomz is going to have to stay on my Gen 5 rain team. It's too bad, really. No one in OU has the foggiest idea of what it actually does, which makes it all the sadder that it won't be near as viable in Gen 6. I'm really going to miss him.

(Really? No mention of me yet?)
Alakazam has to be my favorite Pokemon of Gen V. It was a big winner of the DW lottery, close to such champions as Blazekin and Espeon, because of Magic Guard. Able to revenge practically everything it can 2HKO when using a Focus Sash, and hit everything hard when using a Life Orb, it is one of the best Pokemon in OU. In addition, it has been a very nostalgic pokemon for many of us Gen 1 players, when it dominated. It can easily act as an excellent steel lure when running Hidden Power Fire. It is additionally able to counter some of the top threats of the Gen 5 metagame, such as Scizor, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and more when running fire; Dragonite, Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Salamence when running ice; and Keldeo, Terrakion, Conkeldurr, Gengar and more no matter what.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spa / 4 Spd / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 atk
Modest/Timid Nature
-Psychic/shock
-Shadow Ball/Signal Beam
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power Fire/Hidden Power Ice/Substitute

Zoroark.

Illusion is just too fun to play with. It also has a few different sets to play with, which means it takes a while to play through them all with all different kinds of disguises. It's not all that bad even if the disguise falls short, it has a lot of similarities to Lucario, mainly with different typing, and higher speed and worse priority.

Ditto is also a fun one, using opponent's pokemon against them just has that kind of satisfying feel.

Rain Dance Kingdra. Rain became such commonplace that Kingdra threatened every Rain Team in the meta with it's epic amazingness.

Call me what you like, but my favorite Pokemon to use in BW OU has always been the one, the only...

wait for it...

Wobbuffet. Yup. Maybe it's just the troll in me, but it just brings joy to my heart to completely trap another person's pokemon and bring their precious strategy to an absolute screeching halt. Not to mention, he's just way too silly looking to be kicking ass and taking names in OU of all tiers.

I think my choice would be Melloeta. Crazy sweeping potential on the right team. Starting with Mello's relic song and then wrecking face with a very simple moveset was always satisfying. Not strictly OU material, but the only tier she has any use in. As for the set:

Melloetta
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
Prominant IV's: 31 Attack, 31 Speed
Item:Flying Gem
Moveset:
1; Relic Song
2; Close Combat
3; Stone Edge
4; Acrobatics

This set caught so many people off-gaurd it wasn't funny.(It was hilarious!!)

Favorite Pokemon to use in 5th gen was Serperior. Serperior is such a strong mon to use in 5th gen NU,because his Sub CM set dished out a lot of damage. People told me to run taunt, but I never found a use for Taunt. Plus on this team, Skuntank was on it,so I already had a mon to taunt and dish out damage. Also, Serperior was a good supporter for my team too, being a really good Sub Seeder in my opinion,because of that respectable special defense. Serperior does have its flaws as a offensive and defensive mon though. LIke with the defensive set you, have a lot of common weaknesses and a respectable amount of people run Sap Sipper mons, so you gotta watch out for that in 5th gen NU.
(It's Meoletta Novus Canis,just sayin)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)