Battle Stadium Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drifblim

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SV series 2 drifblim.png

Hi all, once again I decided the only way to learn a new meta was to build a cheese team and play a bunch of matches to see what's popular. Scarlet and Violet gave us some great tools to help Baton Pass beat some of the stuff that usually gives it trouble, so I dusted off the ol' reliable Pincurchin + Drifblim combination and got to work finding some sweepers!

T E A M B U I L D I N G

:arboliva: + :drifblim: ?

With it being a new generation I usually want to try out all the new toys. Arboliva looked great on paper; it's got Leech Seed, Strength Sap, and can get Drifblim in safely with Leaf Storm + Eject Pack. However in practice no one ever attacked it to activate Seed Power, so I was never able to activate Drifblim's Unburden...

:pincurchin: :drifblim: + :cacturne:

It's hard to look past a Stored Power or Power Trip user on dedicated Baton Pass teams to beat Unaware users. But since I'm just passing evasion boosts, I needed something that could also boost its own speed, bulk, and/or offensive stats while also having room for Substitute on its moveset. With Cacturne receiving Trail Blaze this generation it now fulfils the exact role I need.

:pincurchin: :drifblim: :cacturne: + :gholdengo:

The easiest way to check Baton Pass is phasing. This is where I'd usually put something like Magic Bounce Espeon or Suction Cups Cradily on the team, but Gholdengo's ability is even better as it also blocks Curse!

:pincurchin: :drifblim: :cacturne: :gholdengo: + :skeledirge: (BSS series 1)

I was worried that Opportunist Espathra would be common enough that I'd need my own Unaware user to beat them when they come in and copy the stat boosts. It also has Fiery Dance 2.0 and Flame Charge for boosting.

:pincurchin: :drifblim: :cacturne: :gholdengo: :skeledirge: + :cloyster: (BSS series 1)

In previous gens I've had a lot of success using a self-sufficient Electric-type like Dracozolt, Toxtricity, and Zekrom to pair with Pincurchin to beat Haze users like Toxapex. Since I didn't have a gimmicky Tera-type yet I opted for Electric Cloyster

:skeledirge: :cloyster: -> :garganacl: :iron-thorns: (BSS series 2)

I totally misjudged how much of a threat opposing Skeledirge were, it was basically an auto-loss at team preview. When Series 2 came around and allowed Paradox Pokemon, I swapped to Garganacl as my dedicated Skeledirge counter, and Iron Thorns as my new Electric-type.

M O V E S E T S

pincurchin.png

1677399331410.png
|
1677399331410.png

Pincurchin | Electric Surge | Terrain Extender
Relaxed | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Discharge | Spikes | Memento | Thunder Wave
_________________________________________________​

Discharge and Thunder Wave allow for easier setup, especially against the speed demons that Drifblim still doesn't outspeed even with Unburden. Spikes used to be Chilling Water but I never found it useful. The item slot is really flexible but I found the Terrain Extender to be super clutch for Iron Thorns (or Cloyster) or not making have to rush Driflbim onto the field.

drifblim plush bigger.png

1677399656895.png
1677399668524.png
|
1677399686953.png

Drifblim | Unburden | Electric Seed
Bold | 252 Def / 52 SpA / 204 Spe
Tera Blast | Minimize | Substitute | Baton Pass
________________________________________________​

The Terastallize mechanic is one of the best things to ever happen to this strategy. Before I realized Kowtow Cleave Kingambit was a thing I had been testing out Fairy, Normal and Dark on Drifblim to beat Infiltrator Dragapult. But being able to OHKO offensive Kingambit, while also turning a weakness to Rock Blast into a resistance is so ridiculously good.

cacturne plush.png

1677400172061.png
1677400184840.png
|
1677400184840.png

Cacturne | Water Absorb | Wiki Berry
Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Power Trip | Swords Dance | Trail Blaze | Substitute
______________________________________________________​

I really love this set because it reminds me of Swords Dance + Flame Charge Mega Charizard X except it's obviously way cooler now. The base speed is painfully low so it can get sketchy against a fast enemy who gets lucky. But if it gets the full stat boosts from Drifblim, Power Trip is 220 base power after just one Swords Dance + Trail Blaze! You can then add in Tera-Dark for additional power to minimize (ha, get it??) the amount of turns its on the field.

gholdengo statue.png

1677400790795.png
1677400805287.png
|
1677400790795.png

Gholdengo | Good as Gold | Salac Berry
Timid | 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Make It Rain | Substitute | Nasty Plot | Recover
__________________________________________________​

This thing is so sick. The only tricky thing is relying on Salac Berry for speed, which is really hard to activate with evasion boosts as I find I get caught trying to stay healthy. Faster threats get a chance to kill you the turn after they break your sub, and it's not like you just click sub over and over hoping they hit you at +6 evasion. But it definitely works when forgoing the Drifblim mode and just setting up after a Memento from Pincurchin.

garganacl lego.png

1677401192265.png
|
1677399656895.png

Garganacl | Purifying Salt | Leftovers
Careful | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Salt Cure | Earthquake | Curse | Recover
__________________________________________​

This set is annoying enough on its own, but if it gets evasion passed to it then it's super over. It only needs +2 evasion so it works great in situations where boosting with Drifblim is risky. But you do need to consider preserving Pincurchin as the slow playstyle can sometimes take you to the 20 minute match timer, and if you've sacrificed Pincurchin you might find yourself losing 2-3 or 2-2 on percentage. The flexibility of Curse being used either to boost or chip down a tanky threat is really fun.

iron thorns (mecha tyranitar).png

1677406332055.png
1677399331410.png
|
1677406347624.png

Iron Thorns | Quark Drive | Loaded Dice
Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Wild Charge | Rock Blast | Pin Missile | Dragon Dance
_________________________________________________________​

Mecha Ttar is pretty slept on in BSS and a lot of teams aren't ready for the +1 Quark Drive Electric Terrain Wild Charge. The recoil does suck but the KOes it gets in terrain against Pex (unboosted), Kingambit and Annihilape (boosted) are really important. Tera-Bug is great defensively, you can definitely use it without Pin Missile if you want Earthquake or Ice Punch instead. At first I tested Iron Thorns with Wild Charge, Ice Punch and Earthquake with a Sitrus Berry, but the Loaded Dice set was more fun!

T H R E A T S

:iron-bundle: I've run into too many Iron Bundle with Tera-Ground and Taunt for my liking. It's made me consider Tera-water on Drifblim but Booster Energy sets are faster than Unburden anyway so you still get Taunted.

:great-tusk: A lot of Great Tusk are using Ice Spinner, which removes the Terrain and threatens a hard Drifblim switch-in. I've been able to bait some of them by leading Gholdengo, go to Pincurchin on the Earthquake to get OHKOed and send in Drifblim that way, but good players respect the potential Tera-Flying on Gholdengo.

That's kinda it! This team feels really strong to me outside of those two (very meta) threats, and of course bad luck. If you've got any ideas for checking them while keeping the core strategy please suggest them!

R E N T A L C O D E

1677408981796.png

Importable: https://pokepast.es/23eb101497a7c61b

I originally wanted to post this as my retirement post, but that already happened when we banned Aegislash from SV BSS. I'll still be cooking up weird teams, streaming sometimes, and reading the forum, but my IRL schedule is just nuts and I'm getting old anyway. This just felt like an appropriate team to go out on with Baton Pass, Salt Monke and Mecha Tyranitar all on the same squad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)