ORAS NU false alarm

INTRODUCTION:

Hi, sanjay. here, I haven't really accomplished much on this website but I wanted to present a team that has recently brought be decent success which showcases a underrated Pokemon, Rest Talk Zweilous. I haven't made an RMT in a while and was planning on making one for my .5k, however, I never got around to doing so. I'm no NU "messiah" but I've recently built a ton of teams and this one has arguably gave me the most success as of recent. I used this team a tad bit on the ladder whilst qualifying for NLT. NU is a really cool tier and I hope to carry on playing it when SuMo comes out :D. Anyways, without further ado, I'll shut up and present this team I guess.

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS:

It obviously started off with this. However, rather than building around a band set, I decided to build around a specially defensive RestTalk eviolite set which allows it to reliably beat a good chunk of special attackers.

I swear, this thing is on 99% of my teams. I then proceeded to add Garbodor as it a perfect partner for Zweilous, allowing to set (toxic) spikes which Zweilous appreciates to spam Dragon Tail.

Next, after some thought, I felt like majority of my teams had some sort of Ice weakness so I tossed Hariyama which is able to beat majority of strong special Ice type attackers due to Thick Fat + A high HP stat.

The fourth slot went to Rhydon. Rhydon provides rocks for the teams and its great defensive typing allows me to check a plethora of threats.

SubToxic Mantine took the next spot. It provides me with a ground immunity, albeit a bit shaky, however it's a great check to majority of water types due to Water Absorb.

This spot either went to Rotom (Spin Blocker), Hitmonchan or Skuntank but in the end I chose Skuntank. The team needed hazard removal and the main reason I chose Skuntank over Hitmonchan was to add another Special Attacker to help break Physical walls such as Steelix and ease the pressure off of Mantine.

THE TEAM:

zweilous @ eviolite | hustle

careful | 248 hp / 8 def / 252 spd
rest
/ sleep talk
/ crunch
/ dragon tail

Zweilous. This thing is a surprise bag and honestly, it's worked decently well for me. It's able to check a plethora of special attackers, Rotom, Lanturn, Haunter, and mainly fire types such as Magmortar. It's also able to beat Sleep Sweepers such as (especially) Liligant and Vivilion due to Rest Talk and its typing as well as its ability to phaze them out with Dragon Tail. Hustle is also fucking amazing giving Zweilous that slight bit more power which still allows it to have some offensive presence. The EVs are dumped into HP + SpD to give it maximum specially defensive bulk to maximise its specially defensive capabilities. Crunch and Dragon Tail are powerful STAB moves which are complimented by hustle which allow it to scare out Pokemon such as Haunter and Rotom. If you wanted, you could switch out Dragon Tail for something like Toxic / Thunder Wave to cripple denfensive and or fast threats. Though, I'd advise against it as doesn't really work as well with spikes on the team.

garbodor @ rocky helmet | aftermath
impish | 252 hp / 200 def / 50 spe
spikes
/ toxic spikes
/ gunk shot
/ seed bomb
| focus blast

Garbodor. Probably the perfect partner for Zweilous. It's able to cover Zweilous' weaknesses (Fairy, Fighting and Bug) pretty well and almost switch in on things that threaten it. This includes (but not limited too!): Clefairy, Hitmonchan, Mega Audino and Hariyama (Non-Earthquake). Due to a combination of Aftermath + Rocky Helmet it's also able to severely cripple Physical attackers which come to Zweilous' way, namely fighting types. Spikes + Toxic Spikes once again, severely cripple things on the switch and Zweilous appreciates that as its able to phaze out foes via dragon tail and get some chip damage with spikes. Gunk Shot is pretty much essential for any garbodor set and there's no need to explain that. Seed bomb can be used to hit things such as Gastrdon and Rhydon, however, Focus Blast can be used to hit Steelix whilst still being able to hit Rhydon. Lastly, the EV spread is standard, 50 Speed EVs allow me to outspeed things such as Jolly Rhydon and Max Speed MegaDino whilst 252HP EVs are given to maximise my overall bulk and finally, the remaining EVs are dumped into defense and an Impish nature is given to strengthen it.

hariyama @ assault vest | thick fat
adamant | 252 atk / 252 spd / 4 def
close combat
/ fake out
/ bullet punch
/ knock off

Hariyama. Main reason I have this is being able to beat Strong Ice Type Special attackers such as Aurorus and Lapras. Though it does have its uses outside that, it adds another Special Attacker check which eases the pressure off of Zweilous. EVs and Nature are pretty much straight forward and standard, Max Attack + Adamant nature is to maximise Hariyama's power input where as Max Special Defense is to increase and maximise Hariyama's Special Defense. Knock Off is arguably one of the most spammable moves in the game, it allows me to cripple a lot of things and knocking off things such as Leftovers helps the spike stack purpose of the team and doesn't allow your opponent to regain HP at the end of each turn which makes switching more of a pain. Fake Out + Bullet Punch is a nice priority combination and my only reliable way to beat Jynx on this team (Though it's easy to play around) and just a nice way to get Chip Damage. Finally, Close Combat is essential, it's a strong STAB which deals a shit ton of damage to non-resists.

rhydon @ eviolite | lightning rod
adamant | 252 hp / 16 atk / 240 spd
stealth rock
/ earthquake
/ rock blast
/ megahorn

Rhydon. This thing is fucking amazing and a reliable rocker. It's able to act as a Physical Wall to help my matchup against things such as Tauros / Malamar / Liepard / Swellow. Rhydon also has a really nice offensive presence, however, it's put somewhat down by its low speed stat. The EV spread is pretty simple too, 16+ Attack EVs allow Rhydon to hit a jump point in attack where as 252HP EVs maximise it's overall bulk and the remaining 240 EVs go into Special Defense as Rhydon's defense is fine as it is. Earthquake is essential for Rhydon as it's main Ground STAB and is complimented by Rock Blast to form "EdgeQuake" which isn't resisted by anything other than Torterra. The reason for Rock Blast over Stone Edge is to break Sashes from the likes of Suicide Lead archeops and Vivilion. Megahorn is able to hit the likes of Mesprit and Malamar and Xatu on the roost.

mantine @ leftovers | water absorb
modest | 248 spa / 252 spe / 8 hp
scald
/ substitute
/ toxic
/ air slash

Mantine. SubToxic Mantine is just really good right now, it's able to set up on a lot of stuff ranging from stuff like Gastrodon and Ferrothorn. I added Mantine to act as my main way to beat majority of waters. Yes, Zweilous could do that, however, most water types carry Ice Beam which Zweilous doesn't really appreciate. The move set is standard: Scald is broken / amazing, having a 30% chance to burn with low risk and high reward, Substitute allows Mantine to evade status moves and take advantage of switches, Toxic allows Mantine to cripple Pokemon that tend to regularly wall Mantine and finally, Air Slash allows Mantine to make use of its other STAB to hit Grass types such as shiftry which otherwise would wall and threaten Mantine. Leftovers allow Mantine to have some passive recovery which pairs well with Substitute and the EVs are straight forward too. Maximum Special attack + A Modest nature allows Mantine to hit as hard as possible and 252 Speed allow Mantine to tie with Base 70's. (Ludicolo is particular) Mantine also breaks down Physical walls such as Steelix and Rhydon which this team generally struggles against.

skuntank @ life orb / expert belt | aftermath
modest | 252 spa / 252 spe / 4 spd
fire blast
/ dark pulse
/ defog
/ hidden power grass

Skuntank. It was a debate between Hitmonchan and this in the end but as you can see, I finally decided to go with Special Skuntank. Main reason being is that the team heavily relies on Mantine to break through Physical walls and Skuntank just eases the pressure. Life orb or Expert Belt is up to personal preference, Expert Belt is generally better as it doesn't wear down Skuntank as easily, however, LO does more damage to neutral targets hence why I use it. Defog is probably the only reason why I'm using this as I need some hazard removal for Mantine but one downside to Defog is that if spikes are up, you'll have to set it up again. The moveset is standard, Fire Blast is mainly to hit Steels (Ahem, Steelix) and Dark Pulse is some nice STAB which allows Skunk to hit things such as Mismagius, finally Hidden Power Grass is there to lure in Rhydon. The EVs (once again) are extremely straight forward, 252+ Special Attack is to maximise Skuntank's damage input and 252 Speed allows Skuntank to be as fast as possible and outspeed neutral base 80's such as Shiftry and Mesprit.
CONCLUSION:

As mentioned in the introduction, I really hope to play NU again in SuMo as I've had a lot of fun. An option how you could possibly variate this team is go AV Hitmonchan > Hariyama and Rotom > Skuntank which allows me to still beat Ice Types + Special Attackers albeit not as reliably whilst still being able to prevent hazards with the use of Rapid Spin. This then also adds me a spin blocker to keep spikes up for longer. Honestly, I think that might be the optimal change. This team has also been pretty reliable and I'm glad I got to showcase it, any feedback is appreciated :). I don't really have much to say other than, thanks for reading(?) and I hope you enjoy the team!

THREATLIST:

Despite being beatable, Specs Mesprit is extremely hard to Switch into and I have to rely on Zweilous + Skuntank to beat it.

This thing can be really annoying, Earthquake + Icicle Crash has 0 resists and 0 Switch-ins, best bet is to play around it with Mantine.

See above, harder to switch into, easier to beat.

s/o to all my fans

Zweilous @ Eviolite
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Dragon Tail
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Seed Bomb

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Megahorn

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Scald
- Air Slash

Skuntank @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Defog

Last edited:

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey cute user: sanjay. Fun team!!1 I really like Zweilous :]

I have a few things to help you out with issues for your team.

First of all, Garbodor is missing 6 EVs. I think this is a typo, but that is all for that.

My other change for you is to replace your current Skuntank set with a Shuca Berry Acid Spray set.

Skuntank @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Acid Spray
- Hidden Power Grass
- Defog

This set will help you beat CroDino, which your team has some issues with, along with helping with your DD Rhydon weakness. At +2 Speed, DD Rhydon can sweep your team as long as a few mons are weakened. Adding a Shuca Berry Skuntank will help you with this weakness.

I also think the AV Hitmonchan + Scarf WoW Rotom is a very good version of the team because Spikes + Defog triggers me, but sometimes you need to do that for the synergy. :]

have fun!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)