Online Competition Fair and Square

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1622713131653.png

The next Battle Stadium online competition was announced on Pokemon HOME recently; Fair and Square.

Why is it Fair and Square? Because unfair legendary Pokemon like Landorus and Urshifu are banned. HOWEVER, there is no species clause or item clause, so you can use six Focus Sash Cinderace if you want and be really fair and square...

RULES:
  • All Pokemon that made it into Galar are eligible EXCEPT:
    • Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Dialga, Palkia, Heatran, Regigigas, Giratina, Cresselia, Victini, Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Tornadus, Thundurus, Reshiram, Zekrom, Landorus, Kyurem, Keldeo, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie, Volcanion, Type: Null, Silvally, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Nihilego, Buzzwole, Pheromosa, Celesteela, Kartana, Guzzlord, Necrozma, Magearna, Marshadow, Poilpole, Naganadel, Blacephalon, Zeraora, Meltan, Melmetal, Zacian, Zamazenta, Eternatus, Kubfu, Urshifu, Regieleki, Regidrago, Glastrier, Spectrier, Calyrex
  • NO species clause
  • NO item clause
  • All Pokemon become level 50 during the matches

DATES:
  • Sign-up period:
    • June 3rd - June 17th (aka NOW)
  • Competition period:
    • June 18th 00:00am UTC - June 20th 23:59pm UTC
    • June 17th 20:00pm EDT - June 19th 19:59pm EDT (US East Coast)
    • June 18th 10:00am AEST - June 20th 9:59am AEST (Australia)

What do you think will be good in this format??

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I groggly saw this competition announced, just got up an hour ago, and totally missed the lack of species and item clause! Holy SHIT that's nuts!

I wonder how running 2 Mimikyu might work out. You can do stuff like have one offensive Mimikyu, and one Subcurse Mimikyu to try and take out its checks. Sounds like a bit of a nightmare to face to me...

Also oh god you could use offensive P2 + Defensive P2. Maybe something like one of the Porygon2s has Psychic to demolish Blaziken and HJKing Cinderace, so you Dynamax that one!

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Ah yes, 6 Mimikyus, how "Fair and Square"

With that said, dang. This will probably revolve around Mimikyu, Mold Breaker mons(especially Excadrill) and something that counters them. Might want to try MB Hawlucha when the PS ladder is up, since that beats Exca and P2 while still denying Mimi free turns.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Apparently the downloaded rules for this competition are bugged - they do not allow gen 3 and gen 7 starters.
This was what the description for the Japanese rules said. I assume this will be the competition rule.

Also, I will be hosting a friendly competition to prepare for this format. Let me know if you have issues joining!

fas.jpeg

How did everyone go in the tournament?

Looking at the results, it seems that the regular top BSS picks (of course exept the banned legends) were still the most popular:

1) Cinderace
2) Dragapult
3) Mimikyu
4) Porygon2
5) Dragonite
6) Togekiss
7) Rillaboom
8) Excadrill
9) Dracovish
10) Garchomp

Top 3 teams, posted on Smogon BSS Discord by DragonWhale:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)