Experiences with racism

This surprises me; the number 1 school in my State (by a significant margin, like 30% difference between the number of exams sat and the number of 90+s) rarely has more than one non-asian student per year.
yeah dude james ruse is a pretty cool school

eta: brilliant video phiddle

My school has a high percentage of black people, to say the least, and most of them aren't very sensitive towards anyone.
Table I sit at, everyone is generally fairly nice and meaning for good, though we'll use racist jokes most of the time, meaning no harm since the table is a mixed bag.
Ex.: "Yo, (Filipino friend), my Asian!"

And so on and so forth.

my biggest experiences with racism, believe it or not, have been on shoddy, where i get called an asian, (BAN ME PLEASE), and other various racial slurs for getting crits on pokes with 5% of their health left, lol

i've also run into some of it during basketball, one of my friends got cut from the team last year because the coach was white and a racist...
(i quit the team the day after)

my biggest experiences with racism, believe it or not, have been on shoddy, where i get called an asian, (BAN ME PLEASE), and other various racial slurs for getting crits on pokes with 5% of their health left, lo

i've also run into some of it during basketball, one of my friends got cut from the team last year because the coach was white and a racist...
Maybe he's not racist but just likes a challenge. Having an all white basketball team is like running an all UU team in Ubers.

This probably belongs in the venting thread but can stupid people please stop saying everything is racist? At my high school there was a significant population of stupid black kids who thought that anytime something happened that they didn't like it was the result of somebody else being racist. I know that there are a lot of dumb people who say, "That's racist!" as a joke but these idiots really believed it. I guess it was just a particularly annoying manifestation of the more widespread problem of Americans being absolutely incapable of accepting responsibility for the consequences of their own actions but it really irritated me. Nothing is worse than hearing an 18 year old black girl from the suburbs talk about slavery and the civil rights movement like she was there.

That's another thing. Black people, stop saying, "You wouldn't understand" or "You don't know what it's like." It is 2011. Our president is black. You weren't alive during the civil rights movement. You wouldn't know what it was like any more than me. And if you're talking about the "racism" you personally experienced growing up, news flash, we all got picked on as kids. The bullies that called you a (BAN ME PLEASE) were calling me chink and four eyes.

And ANOTHER thing. For you to say something is racist you have to prove that it was racially motivated. If I call you a (BAN ME PLEASE) because I don't like you that doesn't make racist. I'm just a dick who chose the word most likely to get a rise out of you. End rant.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
let's keep this discussion just that, and not get personal

if you're getting hot under the collar go take a walk

my biggest experiences with racism, believe it or not, have been on shoddy, where i get called an asian, (BAN ME PLEASE), and other various racial slurs for getting crits on pokes with 5% of their health left, lol

correct me if i'm wrong, but asian is an ethnicity, not a slur.
also, the first part of your post isn't racism. its people being retarded. racism is the belief that one race is superior to another. not "i hate black people". it would be "I hate black people because they are lazy, dont have jobs, and live off the goverment" (not that i think that, its just an example, besides, thats the polish)

Maybe he's not racist but just likes a challenge. Having an all white basketball team is like running an all UU team in Ubers.

This probably belongs in the venting thread but can stupid people please stop saying everything is racist? At my high school there was a significant population of stupid black kids who thought that anytime something happened that they didn't like it was the result of somebody else being racist. I know that there are a lot of dumb people who say, "That's racist!" as a joke but these idiots really believed it. I guess it was just a particularly annoying manifestation of the more widespread problem of Americans being absolutely incapable of accepting responsibility for the consequences of their own actions but it really irritated me. Nothing is worse than hearing an 18 year old black girl from the suburbs talk about slavery and the civil rights movement like she was there.

That's another thing. Black people, stop saying, "You wouldn't understand" or "You don't know what it's like." It is 2011. Our president is black. You weren't alive during the civil rights movement. You wouldn't know what it was like any more than me. And if you're talking about the "racism" you personally experienced growing up, news flash, we all got picked on as kids. The bullies that called you a (BAN ME PLEASE) were calling me chink and four eyes.

And ANOTHER thing. For you to say something is racist you have to prove that it was racially motivated. If I call you a (BAN ME PLEASE) because I don't like you that doesn't make racist. I'm just a dick who chose the word most likely to get a rise out of you. End rant.
Summary of my deleted post that wasn't personal or angry at all: Time isn't really indicative of racism. Its all about social politicization . The next generation will have the same views as the last.And with a specific racist term like (BAN ME PLEASE) you cant really beat around the bush and say thats not racist.

All the white people in my school get racism from the students
All the asians and hispanics get racism from the teachers (They all sit in one of the corners in every class they have).
Balances out maybe?

Summary of my deleted post that wasn't personal or angry at all: Time isn't really indicative of racism. Its all about social politicization . The next generation will have the same views as the last.And with a specific racist term like (BAN ME PLEASE) you cant really beat around the bush and say thats not racist.
The main problem that I see with the black community in the States:

1. The push to purge the word to a taboo level by making it into "something that which cannot be named," even go as far as editing works like those of Mark Twain. Even though Mark Twain treated black characters very well, and was a civil rights advocate.

Furthermore, the term has become saturated into Black English/Ebonics as a term of endearment. So it's become a term that "only blacks can say, but no one else." It's just muddled the issue, so instead of "(BAN ME PLEASE)" becoming the next "bugger" or "wop" it's become akin to the old blue laws on blasphemy.

2. Generation split between old civil rights and the economic realities of today. There's a real split in social classes through various factors. The old guard still looks for old ghosts to fight, while the youth want more economic justice through opportunity and cultural change.

3. Victim narrative, it's a large pain in the ass when dealing with any population. Study Shia Islam's martyrs, American Indians and Manifest Destiny, Jews with the Holocaust, and ect. What I will say, though, is that in general the tribes have probably dealt with their victim narrative the best in that their elders excepted the good and taught the bad. The black community, though, in certain sections has specific coalitions and organizations that perpetuate an agenda that is no longer compatible with today's America.

I have severe disagreements with specific bad outcomes with the victim narratives, when in reality we should be embracing the good that came out of great evil and in part move on and preserve other parts of our cultures in conjunction with the narratives of strife. A society's identity ought not to be founded upon victimhood, rather struggle, survival, and eventually overcoming and flourishing socio-culturally.

I live on 9 mile. Thats one mile from 8 mile. When i was younger, the black kids used to pick on me cause i'm white.

i've been jumped twice, with several other smaller altercations through out the years (kids followed me home, tried to pick fights with me.) the last thing that happened was when a mugger figured i would be be an easy target. I got out of that one unscathed with all my possessions (protip; don't just bring a knife. i have two on me at all times now.)

there are jerks of all races and creeds. there are good people too. I don't leave home with out a knife or three. I hope i'll never have to use it, but shit, where i come from, better safe than sorry.

My old highschool is considered low-end and ghetto compared to the other schools in my city and is notorious for it's violence and students of low-income households. A lot of the students don't just 'fit in' with their stereotypes, but... kind of... 'embrace' them. I alwasy found it strange when a black student was called a race traitor for having white friends or for having pants that fit properly. Being hispanic, a lot of the other hispanics welcomed me to their groups and were openly racist to pretty much everyone while speaking spanish. They often tried to start fights with white students and occasionally black students. It was kind of weird for me and eventually I stopped hanging out with them after an argument with one of the 'leaders.' He asked me why I never have any flags of my 'home country' and I said I didn't really care about it too much. He said I had to have pride because it's a better country than 'white canada' and I asked him what I'd be having pride in, since, to my knowledge, my country of origin is not particularly notable except for the fresh water sharks. Him and all the other hispanics got angry and I left eventually after some threats. In anycase, they were really really stupid.

For myself, I never experienced too much racism except a few times when i worked in retail and some old people asked me where I was from and gave me dirty looks when I told them. I did, however, get shit all the time in highschool for being atheist and somewhat open about it (I did my best to avoid the 'condescending' stereotype) because almost all the other students were catholic or muslim. I've gotten my ass kicked a few times for not backing down on my beliefs(or lack there of). I still get shit every now and then from people, though not as often.

I'm Indian, and I've seen a lot of racism in my life. From retard high school kids demanding that I speak "Indianese", to Christian bigots disrupting secular India Day festivals to scream about "Jesus died for you" or whatever, to collegiate TA's refusing to help you, but helping your white neighbors on the exact same problem.

But nothing bugs me more than hearing people mispronounce my name and give me a condescending look upon hearing the correct pronunciation, as if to say "go away, outsider". That's why I never use an Indian name in public anymore, instead choosing the name "Matt". I picked it because I was sick of standing out amongst people for my name, so I chose the most common, cookie-cutter name possible.

Being half Filipino and half Arabian, I get picked on most of the time. Even got jumped once or twice. Nothing like bashing a head into a wall at midnight :)

My experience with racism was last year, I was walking home from my friend's place half drunk, when a bunch of guys, maybe 3 of them, walked up to me and started pushing me around, saying "you don't belong here, go back to china!". I ignored them, but when one of them said "I bet your mom's a Chinese bitch!", that was just all i needed. I picked up a stick and hit one of them over the head. Kicked the other guy in the balls (call me whatever you want, I prefer hitting where it hurts), and bashed the last guy's head in the wall.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My dad is Jewish and I have experienced some racism/ignorance from others. I went to Christian schools from K-12, with high school being served in a dairy town comprised of old Dutch families. When people figured out that my last name was clearly Jewish (it's not as obvious as Goldberg or Berkowitz), the incessant teasing began. I'm not going to lie, it was very annoying. Being called a kaik (however it's spelled) and "half-dick" is not good for a 15 year old with a self-esteem as low as mine was. I don't take offense to retarded statements like "Do you wear that little hat thing," but there's a difference between that and outright slurs. My close friends did and still do get away with less/not disrespectful nicknames, because I see them as a sign of endearment, like "(BAN ME PLEASE)" but non-Jews can say it to me =P. To alot of my friends, I'm the only Jewish person they know, so I take it with a little pride.

Well due to my physiqe and my god forsaken tan (part brazilian) I got called alot of things from "whore" to even the n-word due ot the fact this skin head thought i was part black...

My best friend is Russian and his english is somewhat shitty so we both get shit all the time (due to the fact i hang out with him and speak russian with him) I get called everything under the sun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)