National Dex Excαlibur - A Gen 8 National Dex Monotype Steel team [1k Post]

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor

:ss/celesteela: :ss/scizor-mega: :ss/heatran: :ss/ferrothorn: :ss/excadrill: :ss/aegislash:
(click sprites for the import)
Introduction
To celebrate my 1000th Post on Smogon, I'll present one of the teams that had moderate success in the NDM Sendoff (it was ages ago anyways + Gen 8 NDM doesn't exists now). I'm Neko and I play monotype and GSC and lounge around in the monotype rooms spamming !randcat. Although I'm not much of a battler (ask Ashbala, I'm a dodger+stinko), creating teams is something I kind of enjoy. Also, I couldn't make an SV Monotype or ND Monotype team thats of RMT quality, thats why.

Teambuilding Process
Before getting into the team, I would like to reiterate that this team was meant for a Tournament, and specifically against a very scary player. Hence, their preferred types were taken into account when building this team. However, I think this team doesn't have any glaring unwinnable matchups aside from Fire, at least on paper.
:celesteela:
The first consideration I made was that the opponent loves Water (with no Slowking, but Lanturn instead) and used types such as Dragon (uses Choice Scarf Garchomp, which is a bit exploitable for Steel) and Psychic (without Mega Gallade) very recently. Because of this, I thought that Steel could be a great pick against him. Specifically, Autotomize Celesteela (since you don't want to autolose vs Kommo-o, anyway. Autotosteela isnt Steel's only answer, however.)
:celesteela: :ferrothorn:
As said above, guy loves Water, so not taking any chances here.
:celesteela: :ferrothorn: :jirachi:->:celesteela: :ferrothorn: :scizor-mega:
Originally, I had metronome on Celesteela + Z-Jirachi because I thought I can go extremely offensive with the team. However, the lack of consistent and long-lasting Pokemon that can handle repeated Earthquakes is actually scary, so I had to kick Jirachi for Mega Scizor :(
:celesteela: :ferrothorn: :scizor-mega: :aegislash: :heatran:
Completing the immunity core is a must, regardless of the matchup.
:celesteela: :ferrothorn: :scizor-mega: :aegislash: :heatran: :excadrill:
I picked Excadrill to round out the team due to Electric being spammed like, everywhere in the tour (I'm also guilty of it, I've used Elec more than any type)

In-Depth Descriptions

:ss/celesteela:
Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Autotomize
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

Flyinium Z Celesteela is one of the funnier answers to Kommonium Kommo-o, as this allows it to trade with boosted Kommo-o. Aside from that though, it helps lots in matchups such as Ground and Water, provided that one does not let them set Gravity and if one chips Toxapex to Flyinium Z range. Flamethrower deals with Steel-types such as the opposing Celesteela and Mega Scizor, while Giga Drain threatens Slowbro and Gastrodon and also gives Celesteela some form of recovery. Furthermore, the combination of Air Slash, Flamethrower, and Giga Drain gives Celesteela the best coverage it could have. Since Celesteela's offenses are mediocre before it gets a KO, Flyinium Z provides the much needed power for Celesteela to break through weakened Toxapex, and OHKO Keldeo and Zarude without prior boosts. A Timid Nature was used to outspeed boosted Kommo-o at +2, but I think Modest should be better, as this allows Celesteela to have an easier time getting the initial KO necessary to snowball, however this makes Celesteela slow enough that it just speedties with +1 Kommo-o after an Autotomize boost.

:ss/scizor-mega:
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Atk / 136 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost

As Celesteela isn't defensive enough to try and take on Close Combat and Earthquake users such as Mega Lopunny, Terrakion, and Mega Swampert in the long run, Mega Scizor is forced into a more defensive role. Bullet Punch deals with Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Diancie, and Kyurem which give the team an uncomfortable time with their coverage. Knock Off is vital to slowly wear down defensive types as well as being a last-ditch effort in case a Choice Scarfed threat might sweep. It also catches Tapu Lele switching in to neutralize Bullet Punch and denies Slowbro and Aegislash a free switchin. The combination of Swords Dance and Roost makes Mega Scizor a terrifying wincon in the case that the opposing team has nothing that deals significant damage to it (or threaten it with a burn....). The selected EV spread makes Mega Scizor extremely hard to take down by Close Combat and Earthquake users, never getting 2HKO'ed entirely unless the opposing Pokemon held a Choice Band. 56 Speed EVs allows it to outpace Adamant Belly Drum Azumarill, though you wont deal 50% damage to actually kill it, but you can offer up Ferrothorn to get the needed chip to prevent the bunny from sweeping you.
252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Scizor-Mega: 126-148 (36.7 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Scizor-Mega: 123-145 (35.8 - 42.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Swampert-Mega Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Scizor-Mega in Rain: 135-159 (39.3 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Scizor-Mega: 120-142 (34.9 - 41.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scizor-Mega: 131-155 (38.1 - 45.1%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 68 Atk Scizor-Mega Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 312-368 (96.2 - 113.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

:ss/heatran:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Toxic

Celesteela and Mega Scizor fare really badly against Steel teams as the former is walled by Heatran, while the latter gets forced out by Heatran and cannot OHKO it. Because of this Heatran does a little counterteam with Substitute, taking advantage of forced switches bully opposing Steel teams with Lava Plume and Earth Power. Toxic lets it punish the lot of switches Heatran forces, and puts threats such as Hydreigon, Victini, and Volcarona on a timer. 44 Speed EVs lets Heatran outspeed Azumarill allowing Heatran to punish it with Toxic if Azumarill uses Belly Drum. Furthermore, 44 Speed is enough to outspeed Heatran that likes to speedcreep too. The remaining EVs are dumped into HP and Special Defense which lets Heatran act as a Specially Defensive sponge and survive a +1 Hidden Power Ground from Volcarona to manage it with Toxic.

:ss/ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed

Ferrothorn acts as a physically defensive wall that annoys types such as Water and Ground with a strong Power Whip. There's not much to be said here, its pretty standard. Protect is chosen over coverage in Knock Off or Body Press due to Celesteela having an offensive set.

:ss/excadrill:
Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Acting as a revenge-killer that threatens Mega Charizard-Y and Hydreigon, while also being a decent late-game cleaner against types like Dragon and Psychic once Kyurem and Slowbro have been weakened or removed. Toxic puts pressure on Slowbro and Mega Sableye [at the cost of being burned, but at least your other teammates may be able to stall it out after]. Rock Slide lets it OHKO Mega Charizard-Y, while Rapid Spin is your only form of entry hazard removal for the team.

:ss/aegislash:
Aegislash @ Spell Tag
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Aegislash is the iffy-est set of them all, but it tags along with Mega Scizor on sponging Fighting-type moves and is able to take special hits for Heatran in a pinch. Specifically, having an offensive set [by that I meant sticking a Spell Tag onto it] makes it harder to take advantage of and switch into. Shadow Sneak + Shadow Ball is strong enough to pick off Galarian Slowking and Landorus at around ~70% and ~80% health respectively, which is amazing for Steel teams as these would be extremely threatening otherwise. 92 Atk lets it OHKO Blacephalon from full, and lets Aegislash also pick off Azumarill and Victini when chipped. I had thoughts of swapping Toxic for Close Combat and adjusting the EVs to outspeed Adamant Azumarill (as Shadow Ball deals >50% to Azumarill with minimal [32 SpA EVs] investment), however, doing this makes Aegislash unable to take an Earth Power from Landorus.

Threatlist
:ss/cinderace: :ss/charizard-mega-y::ss/volcarona:
Cinderace sweeps the team with little effort, especially if its running Low Kick over High Jump Kick. Its to be noted that Heatran doesn't run Stone Edge, so it cannot OHKO Mega Charizard-Y and Volcarona as usual.

:ss/diancie-mega:
Fire-Ground Coverage makes Mega Diancie a pain to switch into. Fortunately, one can deal with it using Choice Scarf Excadrill or Mega Scizor.

:ss/landorus:
Annoying, 2HKO'es everyone. Mega Scizor can trade itself to remove its Life Orb, Aegislash can try to 1v1 it as it lives an Earth Power, Celesteela finish it off with Flyinium Z, but otherwise your options are really limited.

:ss/hydreigon:
Its only seen in Dark anyway, but its impossible to revenge kill without heavy losses once Dual Screens and Substitute is up.

:ss/slowbro: :ss/slowking-galar::ss/victini:
Slowbro taking on Excadrill and forcing it out, then using Teleport to bring in Victini leads into very bad sack sequences for the Steel player. Try to wear down Slowbro with SD Mega Scizor and debilitating it with Toxic from Excadrill. Galarian Slowking is also an issue for Celesteela, but Aegislash can help in that regard.

:ss/magnezone:
If Air Balloon Magnezone traps Excadrill, then the Electric player is near guaranteed to win if they have Regieleki. If one fears an Electric matchup, use Shed Shell or Rockium Z Excadrill + Choice Scarf Aegislash or Heatran instead.

Replays
vs Ground :excadrill: (the actual match I was prepping for)
vs Water :greninja: (Akalmie played the match, though it shows how it would've possibly broke through rainless Water if the said matchup did happen)
vs Dragon :kommo-o: (Reading the T1 Kommo-o play was a huge factor, just dont lead something like Ferro in the Dragon matchup and it should be fine)

Shoutouts
Ashbala Petele for always being there to pet cat, I would've hidden in the hole long ago if not for you guys
Plunder style.css torterraxx martinvtran Aqua Jet silver grace Leafium Z Sentinel people that made the stay in competitive mons fun
ikiarihS stinks
roxie AtraX Madara sasha Felines Monotype QC team, thank you for still letting me in the basement even though I can be a little too hyper
maroon for forcing cat to fight over and over to try and beat the timidity out ;w;
DugZa Siatam Thank you for still putting up with me even though some of my teams felt like made with only one brain cell [the orange one, too]...
ken_ Azick Tico 21 Monotype room(s) op guys :3c
Attribute Thank you for letting me borrow your team to complete the Landorus-T article ;w;
ASKid679 Ida Foots Sunnyboi0 thankie for still replying even though I really don't play those tiers as much anymore ;w;

Also to a lot more people, like Phospor, Bondie, Day Healer, Mateeus, Overseer, Diegoblu, Mushamu, Andviet (thank you for the fish), UT, Adeleine, Isaiah (they still GP even the weirdly made cat sentences, thank you ;w;), Sulo, Glimmer, Karpe-san, Ducky, Blaine500, and others who I wont ping because I'm already pinging a massive amount of people and they might bonk ;w;

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)