Gen 8 entei and raikou (sorry suicune)

This is it. It is with a heavy heart that I say goodbye to gen 8 ou. Gen 8 was the generation where I learnt a lot more about teambuilding and battling, which allowed me to build around all sorts of gimmicky mons but still work on ladder. As a final hurrah to this generation, I spent the last 2 weeks building teams around pokemon that I've always wanted to try building around like emolga and qwilfish (I actually really liked the qwilfish one). I really wanted to write a rmt for one of these teams, so I have chosen an entei team that I built!

1668716260110.png

1668716290809.png

Hentei (Entei) @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Stomping Tantrum
- Stone Edge
I wanted to use entei for one reason only - choice band sacred fire. Choice band entei is able to spam sacred fires, with switch ins like lando-t, garchomp, gastrodon and more risking getting burnt. The buff to inner focus has also helped it immensely as lando-t can no longer switch in and intimidate it. Choice band should definitely be used over heavy-duty boots as non banded entei lacks power and cannot 2ko a lot of things. Stone edge and stomping tantrum provide good coverage against other mons like heatran and pelipper, and extreme speed gives you a strong revenge killing option. Entei also has decent bulk and can eat some hits and do stuff like revenge killing volcarona.

1668716574638.png

Dragapult @ Spell Tag
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp
- Draco Meteor
Hex dragapult was a pretty common set in very early gen 8 ou, but is rarely seen now. However, with sacred fire spreading burns everywhere, i thought hex dragapult would be a fun partner! Spell tag provides a boost to hex, u-turn lets you get out of situations where you can't do anything like against a blissey, and will-o-wisp lets you start spamming hex without entei spread burns already. Although dragon darts is an option to hit blissey, I personally prefer draco meteor so I can focus solely on the special attacking side and not have a -def or -spdef nature.

1668716755098.png

Melmetal @ Protective Pads
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
One of the child abuse dragon's best friends is melmetal, which serves as a great fairy killer with immediate power. Protective pads lets it spam moves against zapdos, ferrothorn, garchomp, helmet pex and more without the fear of getting punished by their items and abilities. Move choices are very obvious, and evs are put into special defense instead of hp because of melmetal's naturally high hp, and the speed is for outspeeding toxapex. The team is pretty weak to weavile, so its very important to keep melmetal healthy when theres a weavile present.

1668716971097.png

Mantine @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Scald
The team really needed a defogger and a water type, so naturally tapu fini is the best choice. Sadly, I am running a sacred fire entei and hex dragapult team, which does not benefit from misty terrain at all. I mean you can run flare blitz on entei, change the dragapult set, and then use tapu fini so you don't get destroyed by dragonite + weavile - however, I am simply built different. Although mantine lacks tapu fini's fairy typing, its longevity in roost as well as spammable stabs are still good qualities. It is arguably an even better switch in to offensive water types like urshifu and volcanion, and has a naturally high special defense.

1668717252929.png

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Toxic
With a lack of hazards and electric type switch in, I decided to use lando-t. It is a great tanky pivot with u-turn, and can also help deal with threats like heatran and garchomp. Toxic spreads even more status around, and cripples pokemon that try to switch into lando-t like buzzwole, zapdos and tornadus-t.

1668717410271.png

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Scald
Calm mind raikou ends the team off in a poetic way, starting and ending both in legendary dogs. I thought to myself, what is a pokemon that would appreciate ground types and everyone else getting chipped with status and stuff? Since it received scald this generation, calm mind raikou was also a pokemon I really wanted to try using, so I decided to use it. Raikou's speed allows it to outspeed non scarf kartana, while the 48 hp still gives it an odd number of hp to set up substitutes. Calm mind and substitute lets it set up, while thunderbolt and scald complement each other well as coverage moves. The combination still gets walled by certain mons, but they can be chipped down with status from your other pokemon.

This team is definitely one of the most fun teams in all the teams I built in the past 2 weeks. There are ways to use the team in a better way, as I have suggested, but this is what I ultimatedly enjoyed using the most. Hope you all enjoyed reading this rmt! With the end of this rmt comes the start of a new generation of ou, and I wholeheartedly wish everyone in the pokemon community will have fun with this new generation!

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Hey very cool team, some people tend to stay away from gimmicky teams but it can work in OU in some situations.
I think this team works well, and the suggestions I make will make sure the Entei + Raikou core stays to the team keeps it's identity.
I'm going to go with threats / annoying Pokémon to this team, than I'll go ahead with the suggestions.

Threats:

From a quick glance, I see Sunny day teams can pose a threat specifically LO Growth Venusaur (Example Below):
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 294-347 (92.7 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

If Stealth Rock is up it's a going to guarantee an OHKO on a switch on Dragapult, also your Mantine can put up a fight but Hurricane will not OHKO and potentially miss under Sunny conditions (Proof below):
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mantine: 218-257 (58.2 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So as you see there's not really an answer to Venusaur or at least it will give you problems.

I could see Volcarona giving some issues if Entei is in low enough health as well as Lando-T being in low enough health as well (I'm referring to a Sub-Quiver Dance Volc variant). Aside from those 2 threats I think you got it covered pretty well thanks to Mantine and Lando-T Combo.

Onto the team suggestions:

I think Entei works, I would just say Heatran can be a common switch in so definitely try to break the Air-Balloon (if it has one) or go for the Stomping Tantrum on predicts.

I think Dragapult should get replaced by Dragonite, reason I'm suggesting Dragonite is take on Sun teams (specifically Venusaur) as well as taking on Volc. Dragonite also provides fantastic bulk as well as the ability to roost up and make sure Multi-Scale stays activated. The set I will suggest will be defensive Heavy-Duty boots with Ice Punch or Dual Wing / EQ coverage which covers a lot of switch-ins and when it comes to Volc, you won't get burnt (from Flame Body) when using Earthquake, and Venusaur will get roosted out and bothered by Dual Wingbeat after 1 Dragon Dance (You will outsped when sun disappears and guarantee OHKO and without +1 still have the chance to OHKO). Dragonite provides another sweeper, and overall just a solid special defensive wall that will give problems to a lot of mons.
1668878668687.png

Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 152 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Punch / Dual Wingbeat
- Earthquake
- Roost
The EVs are made for it to out-speed Bulky Lando T as well as provide as much special defensive bulk as possible so it sponges up a lot of special attacks with the combination of Multiscale.

With Melmetal I recommend using Thunder-Wave over Ice Punch so Double Iron Bash could be used to it's fullest potential by going for the flinch para spam. Depending on if you see more Garchomp or Zapdos switches I would say go with Ice Punch > Thunder Punch. Also to deal with Ferrothorn I would say go with the Superpower instead of Earthquake since coverage will be similar but you'll make sure to hit Ferrothorn harder (without Iron Barbs contact damage) since benefitting from Protective Pads.

Mantine looks good, I would say Toxic could be an option over Hurricane but it all depends on how you utilize Mantine. This won't be a hard recommendation for me.

Both Lando-T and Raikou look good from a EV / moveset perspective so I won't have any recommendations in regards to them.

Aside from that, wish you the best luck with this team and continued success.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)