Implemented ending the alting rule debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrett

Banned deucer.
So I have an idea but someone just say if its dumb or to hard to implement. Its pretty barebones atm so I have not considered everything but maybe someone more tech savy than i can make the idea better. This idea really only pertains to Official Tournament Games (sorry iguana) but I'm wondering if there's a way when before a game starts for each of the players can mark that their game is official. The game link would then appear in some sort of designated box area (or the room intro even?) that comes up with a command if you want and shows all Official tournament games happening at the time. The only thing I haven't thought of but might not even be an issue is from that point on someone, either one of the players or even a spectator could indicate in that designated box area who the game is between (using their actual smogon name/voiced alt). This would allow players to alt as long as their usernames arent offensive or breaking those kidna rules and also help the spectator issue. The idea might be a bit convoluted but I think would appease both sides.
This sounds like it's suggested in perfectly good faith but also sounds like a Sogeking wet dream to have the new ability to make a non-official game appear as an official one (either by tricking the legitimate opponent or having two alts staging the "officially marked" game). At that rate it would be easier and safer to simply prevent people from playing casual games on Smogtours so every game there is tacitly understood to be official. That would be an overall detriment to the people that play for fun while hanging out on Smogtours.

--

We should place the due diligence on the two (correct) players to ensure they are playing the correct opponent. I mean that, too: it's the common sense approach that places no burden on our already-overworked TDs and programmers, and invaluably IQ checks players that think they should be playing in tours. Maybe we can require Discord or Smogon wall messaging proof for games where people insist they play on an otherwise unknown alt name? If your alt name is so near and dear to you, I think that is a fair way tradeoff and a good way to establish matters should an undesirable event occur.

I have never played in a "traditionally" important tour, but I pride myself in having the dumbest alt names on the block. Removing my freedom to have an inoffensive alt name because someone suffers from intermittent aneurysmal dilatation when it's SPL season and doesn't immediately know who is playing when your [Gen 5 OU] game pops up in lobby chat is disheartening when there are clearer, more exigent issues that happen in high-stakes tour games. Let's keep the fun where we can.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
The alt rule for the upcoming SPL is simply to not use any inappropriate alt names during your battles, and this will be moderated as it always has been.

You are allowed to use alts in battles. It is encouraged, but not mandated, to identify yourself at the start of the game when using an alt.

In addition, please be sure to verify the identity of your opponent before challenging or accepting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)