Strategy & Metagame Effective Underrated Sets in OU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How would you guys feel about an article about effective sets that are underrated? I feel like there are some sets out there that work well but are either unknown, or simply shunned b/c of their gimmicky sounding nature (BD Chesnaught, for example). I run the Creative and Underrated sets thread in the VR sub forum in OU, which features sets from good players, and I'd write about those because they're proven to be effective.

Also, I could expand a bit and cover gimmicks, but idk if that would derail the article at all. Thoughts?

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Post the sets of the mons you'll be covering and it'll be easier to tell if there can be an article or not. Also gonna highlight trc , Valentine , TGMD and Valmanway since they're better judges of this than me.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Correct me if I'm wrong, but why should people read about Pokemon sets they've already come across through lurking?

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not everyone uses the forums, and even less go to the VR sub forum (idk why, but probably due to inactivity and only badged / successful users can post). Just from lurking / talking in the OU room on PS alone, I've seen people either write off some of these sets (LOL defensive Garchomp wtf <- line I've seen quite a bit on PS), or have otherwise neve known they existed. I also have friends who play that don't go to the forums at all (or very rarely), but read every issue of the smog.

Proof of this would be on my wall. A user I've seen around had never heard of bd Chesnaught untill I posted the sette other day. This is more anecdotal and can be written off, but I feel it just goes to show how truly 'underrated / unknown' some of these sets are. I feel that this can be applied to many people who are not hardcore smogonites, and opening up the door to these people would be a good thing.

Edit: alternatively (I just thought of this), an article on underrated mons could work if you dont like the sets idea. Same concept, But with mons over sets (Hydreigon, Manaphy, Celebi, Raikou, etc, for example)

Last edited:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
The material to be used for the articles should generally not have been shown to the public first, which is one of the standard rules seeing as we want fresh material and not something the writers want signal boosted or recycled. There's also the fact that everything being worked on in our workshop shouldn't be leaked until the issue is released officially, so it seems weird to have the raw material plain visible in a subforum that the OU community wants people to lurk. Granted, there are probably some articles before that has passed that has used sets posted in common discussions (can't tell for sure as we can't lurk everywhere), but the Victory Road thread is more official since there are few posts to skim and its credibility is more emphasized by being in said forum.

The people I highlighted up above can fel free to object, but right now I'm inclined to approve your other proposal (underrated mons in ORAS OU) rather than promoting sets that's been visible for some time.

Clone

Free Gliscor
Fair enough; I can get behind that reasoning. I'll wait and see what the others wanna say on this topic before doing anything.

i agree that the creative sets shouldn't be ones posted in that thread, at least the vr one. perhaps have about 6-8 creative sets not posted there but still recognized as creative, or underrated mons like you said, or maybe look at interesting sets used in ou in spl, there's a lot of ideas if you'd like to write about something similar.

Clone

Free Gliscor
Ill hold off on the sets for now, seeing as its not too popular with u guys and theyre already out there. Ill keep my eyes out during SPL tho; ive seen a few gems like fling gliscor (tho that may be ct, idk)

I can do the mons tho. i can start on this tomorrow if there are no objections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)