Dynamax Adventures Thread

I'm still not quite sure how my squad beat Zygarde without wide guard. Like it wasn't even a nail biter and it did use quite a few spread moves. guess we just had a good spread of bulk, stat lowering and a few wayward binds?
Well, he has Land's Wrath and not Thousand Arrows, so on paper if you have enough resists/fliers it is possible to deal with it without WG assuming you luck a bit on his targetting and he doesn't reset his debuffs at a bad moment.

Why can the AI even try enduring 2 times in a row ? I just lost against Tapu Koko because Emolga tried to endure a second time instead of using rising voltage, which should have killed it.
And after 18 runs in total hunting random legendaries, i got a golden uxie ! That's one more off the list !

Last edited:
Only did two adventures today, but they were both very stressful.

Had a partner with a Comfey who healed an opponent with Floral Healing. At the time I thought ‘oh maybe they’re stalling for time because we’re winning this comfortably and it gives me the chance to heal Swoobat with my Chansey’. Then they used it against Reshiram under Psychic Terrain and I thought ‘oh maybe since their only other option is 0.25x Energy Ball they just wasted the turn’.

Then they used it again once Psychic Terrain wore off, causing us to lose.

Also just had a trainer use Coalossal’s Max Geyser instead of a stronger Max Rockfall against a Tyrantrum... with a Storm Drain Maractus on the field. They then wasted his next two Dynamax turns doing the same thing. They then proceeded to spend two turns in the next battle against a Flygon continuing to use Scald. Luckily the Maractus got traded away and the legendary was Moltres, so it was an easy win, but STILL

Also just had a trainer use Coalossal’s Max Geyser instead of a stronger Max Rockfall against a Tyrantrum... with a Storm Drain Maractus on the field. They then wasted his next two Dynamax turns doing the same thing. They then proceeded to spend two turns in the next battle against a Flygon continuing to use Scald. Luckily the Maractus got traded away and the legendary was Moltres, so it was an easy win, but STILL
This actually looks like a case of disconnecting and the game repeating the same last action

This actually looks like a case of disconnecting and the game repeating the same last action
Does that carry over between battles? Because the sequence was:
Max Geyser x 3 vs Tyrantrum (all redirected)
Scald x 2 vs Flygon (both redirected)
Meteor Beam vs Clefable (I think?)
Meteor Beam vs Moltres

so I’m not sure if there’s a non-dumb explanation for that

If you search for a specific Pokémon do you guys know if you get matched with others who are also searching for the same Pokémon, or do you get randoms? For example if I enter the Dyna Adventure for Cresselia will I get matched with people who are also searching for Cresselia?

I slightly think the answer is yes, as when I search for a specific mon my teammates seem far more likely to actually play well. But it might also just be in my head, and that my standards are so very low that "knowing the type chart" might be what I consider "playing well".

If you search for a specific Pokémon do you guys know if you get matched with others who are also searching for the same Pokémon, or do you get randoms? For example if I enter the Dyna Adventure for Cresselia will I get matched with people who are also searching for Cresselia?

I slightly think the answer is yes, as when I search for a specific mon my teammates seem far more likely to actually play well. But it might also just be in my head, and that my standards are so very low that "knowing the type chart" might be what I consider "playing well".
Either you get some randoms or I've been matched with people who forgot what they queued for before.

The weirdest thing happened. I was doing an adventure with 4 other strangers. And we had just defeated a Krookodile. When one of my allies swapped for Krookodile it turned to Octillery. I had just caught and Octillery in the last matchup. Now the menu will not load.

I've been trying to get a shiny Cresselia pretty much since day 1 of the DLC. Once I get that I don't think I will ever play Dynamax Adventures ever again.

At first it was kind of neat but I am kind of getting sick of having to choose between brain dead AI and brain dead human teammates.

One match we had a teammate pick the cake Pokémon. It spent every turn using Decorate on the OPPONENT. No penalty to him trolling, but yes if I quit I am the one to get the ore fee.

Another match our allies selected a bunch of Psychic types to start with. They followed a path that led to three fighting types, and proceeded to trade for all three. The raid boss was Cresselia who proceeded to slaughter us.

There's also so many countless matches where human teammates can't click the fucking Dynamax button. The game seriously teaches you about Dynamax like 15 minutes in. How do these people not know to click it?

Dynamax adventures is almost good but is so incredibly frustrating due to brain dead humans. I'm at a point where it's considered a good run if my allies know the type chart and how to Dynamax. If the AI knew how to Dynamax I'd probably take them over humans every time. At least the AI know what STAB is.

Reactions: ttr

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Everyone here seems to have had their own Dynamax Adventures partner horror stories, so how about I add one more to the pile?

Round 1, our team had chosen Jigglypuff, Tangela, Quagsire, and I had chosen Swampert. Our two starting options were Miltank and Amoonguss. So of course, our team decides to go Amoonguss, where my Swampert is the only Pokemon who can reasonably damage it thanks to Blizzard and all of our teammates are weak to at least one of its attacks. Turn one the Tangela tried using Stun Spore, which is at least kind of understandable, it's not obvious that powder moves don't work on Grass mons, but our Quagsire also tried using Toxic on it.

Round 2, our team now had Tangela, Amoonguss, Jigglypuff, and my Swampert. Our options were between some Psychic-type (can't remember) and an Alolan Marowak with a scientist at it. So of course, with half of our team weak to it and another teammate unable to do much to it, our team decided to go Marowak. This was presumably because of the scientist, because all three of my teammates wanted to take the random Pokemon it gave you. What happened with that? The Jigglypuff got exchanged for a Whimsicott. So we now had three Grasses up against an Alowak. Fantastic.

The other two rounds were unspectacular but good god. You all probably won't believe me when I say that we only ended up losing two lives that whole adventure...

It’s sad that they can’t implement any kind of ranking system to pair participants up with allies of a similar skill level, because (among many other reasons of course) the only way these people are gonna make it to the end is with the help of good human allies.

EDIT: Dynamax Adventures have convinced me that the more obscure mechanics added over the years (e.g. Grass-types’ immunity to powder moves) need to be explained in a brief prompt when they’re triggered (“Powder and spore moves don’t work on Grass-types!”) instead of being explained on one Trainer Tips sign or by one random NPC.

It’s funny because more dedicated fans tend to respond to these changes pretty positively, because they add nuance and help to balance out types and abilities in a vaguely intuitive way, but for casual players (especially young players) it must be a nightmare to have so many niche rules and mechanics you have to know in order to not fuck up.

Last edited:
The game does feel like it needs a "trait" screen somewhere. You can probably intuit status immunity (ie: fire types cant be burned! poison types cant be poisoned!) but who in their right mind would know that Prankster-boosted moves specifically don't work on Dark types. I forget that until it randomly crops up once in a blue moon.

The game does feel like it needs a "trait" screen somewhere. You can probably intuit status immunity (ie: fire types cant be burned! poison types cant be poisoned!) but who in their right mind would know that Prankster-boosted moves specifically don't work on Dark types. I forget that until it randomly crops up once in a blue moon.
Me: "Okay, Klefki, let's go and paralyze Moltres!"

Game. "It doesn't affect enemy Moltres..."

Me: "Oh..."

This is pretty much why, when there was that question on Twitter on what we'd do to improve UX, my reply was "Explain the mechanics".

(I mean, Mystery Dungeon has a very extensive in-game dictionary explaining pretty much everything. Why not the main series games?)

Me: "Okay, Klefki, let's go and paralyze Moltres!"

Game. "It doesn't affect enemy Moltres..."

Me: "Oh..."

This is pretty much why, when there was that question on Twitter on what we'd do to improve UX, my reply was "Explain the mechanics".
While I'd prefer a trait screen honestly even just having a big glossary of terms at the battle tower would probably be nice. It's reasonable enough that a lot of things wouldn't come up during the main game, and not everyone talks to NPCs, but having it to reach over somewhere feels reasonable.

B...bring back teachy tv??

E: Bring Battle CDs with a larger bent on outlining some of these scenarios

Last edited:
I think I'm probably like, one of the only ones here who doesn't have switch online, but reading through all of this, I think that doing it with the cpus may actually be easier than other people, at least sometimes...
They're usually better than the AI because they often (not always....) Dynamax, which effectively gives 1/4th of your team 2x defense and a solid damage increase, on top of the stat buffs that come from it. It's not a lot per battle but it often saves your team from KOs which adds up over the long run. Humans also occasionally will switch Pokemon when their HP is low preventing a KO while IIRC AI are just random.

Waiting for several AI partners to cycle through their turns for YOU to Dynamax is so frustrating. You also occasionally get issues with the AI doing things like spamming Endure etc. Human partners are terrible but imo the AI are just slightly worse.

Last edited:
I think it's 50/50 really... There's been times when I have seen the humans play worse than AI (including multiple ground attacks against levitators ...), and times where the AI actually single handedly carried a 3 human party.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
MrHands your best bet might be to join the Orange Islands Discord or the Smogon Main Discord to play Dmax Adventures with actual people. Its vastly improved and you can shout at people as well if they do dumb stuff (although everyone is human and forgets things from time to time).

I've been hunting for shiny stuff a lot lately through Dynamax Adventures. I used to find it pretty frustrating watching the AI flub everything, but I made one purchase and one change of behavior that made everything so much nicer:

Try using a turbo controller, having the game mash A, and then regain control as you're selecting your pokemon at the end of the third battle. Weirdly enough, the AI and your own mon auto battling can make it through to the 4th fight very consistently. The actual 4th fight can be a bit of a wild card since you might lose any number of hearts on the way; I'm not sure if this method is actually viable for the tougher stuff like Zygarde. However, for the easier stuff like Pheromosa, it's a great way to get to the end quick and not feel awful about wasting your time on a run where you didn't even catch the last Pokemon. I've been doing this while browsing or doing stuff in older gens and I've managed to accumulate a reasonable number of shiny things so far without putting much effort in.

A turbo controller is also amazing for powering through the game to catch the other regi / horse you didn't choose on another account. Catching a legendary in your new file's dynamax adventures and just turbo mashing a through everything is the most broken in game experience; they made trading your legendary to your friend's new account a real feature in the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)