Dynamax Adventures Thread

I want to give a shoutout to Alolan Persian btw. Quash is actually a pretty nice tech move to guarantee that your Dynamaxer gets to attack or try to squeeze that little extra damage on last turn before everyone gets wiped by an AoE.

Also, access to very fast Snarl, and it's deceptively tanky with Fur Coat.

9/10 would recommend the Garfield wannabe

Man it is really dumb that bosses can remove status even while they're asleep.

Not that it would have really mattered against this Ho-oh fight anyway, I suppose. It was way too bulky for a team of wartortle, comfey, grimmsnarl and haunter. It was seriously about 6 turns just to get it to half health. Definitely something you want rock types and fully evolved dudes above all else

Man it is really dumb that bosses can remove status even while they're asleep.

Not that it would have really mattered against this Ho-oh fight anyway, I suppose. It was way too bulky for a team of wartortle, comfey, grimmsnarl and haunter. It was seriously about 6 turns just to get it to half health. Definitely something you want rock types and fully evolved dudes above all else
I seriously wish the "removing stat changes" would count as a move if they're in desperate phase sometimes. Or only if they remove a status too. It's basically a better aromatherapy combined with a better haze that they can do through sleep and i'm pretty sure freeze.

Talking about the "remove stats and abilities" move, I just found out it also removes redirection. I had used Rage Powder with my Butterfree, then the opposing Tapu Bulu used the "remove everything" move, and was able to attack a Bug-weak partner with Megahorn.

And we lost.
Holy ****, i did not know that. That actually restricts the moves you can actually use without risk even more...
If only it would remove their buffs as well, i said this before, but suicune calm minding 2 times in a row just because you don't have taunt, going "ah gottem, ggs" and then just wiping you while you don't do any damage even with super effective stab moves... it's a bit frustrating even though it's rare. At least there's no barriers and damage limit anymore, i can't complain.
Speaking of buffs, has anyone gotten cheesed by legends with ancient power ? I was wondering that because i saw that palkia, dialga, lugia and ho-oh all have it, and them getting a surprise omni-buff with it sounds difficult to deal with.

Talking about the "remove stats and abilities" move, I just found out it also removes redirection. I had used Rage Powder with my Butterfree, then the opposing Tapu Bulu used the "remove everything" move, and was able to attack a Bug-weak partner with Megahorn.

And we lost.
Does it remove things like Protect and Endure?

I can understand not wanting bosses to be cheesed, but there really should be some cost to the boss for using this "screw any strategy except all-out attacking" move, whether it be taking a turn, sacrificing some HP or at the very least clearing the boss's stat buffs/ability aswell.

At least they don't spam it as much as in regular raid battles, but it is really absurd how it doesn't take one of their turns.

Even other RPGs with bosses that go "actually, no buffs for you" have to spend their turn doing it

It could just be that I'm biased from being 125 Ho-ohs in, but the Pelipper with both Tailwind and Wide Guard (not that Ho-oh has spread moves, but just in general) deserves props, too. I've managed to pull off victories with three Fire-weak teammates thanks to it.

EDIT: Oh, and as for legendaries having five moves, Ho-oh has Flare Blitz/Sacred Fire/Extrasensory/Ancient Power/Sunny Day.

Last edited:
Some thing interesting I learned when fighting Landorus. I had a disconnect when catching the third Pokémon prior to the fight, so when I got back, I returned to the lair by myself, and when the fight began, I found myself with AI partners.

Other than that, oh boy is Giratina a pain to fight. 150/120/120 Def is nothing to scoff at when backed up by Dynamax. It feels like super effective attacks barely do anything to I only managed to win thanks to Fake Tears support from an Ally’s Jigglypuff.
So what are everyone's most unexpectedly good sets? "Unexpectedly" varies from person to person obviously, but there's a number of sets I took one look at and knew they were good. Some others, on the other hand...

:cherrim:
Flower Gift
Solar Beam/Worry Seed/Sunny Day/Weather Ball
I mentioned Cherrim a week ago, and guess what: it still owns. It provides such an easy boost to your whole team with Flower Gift (50% Attack and Special Defense), and even after setting up Sunny Day it's a respectable attacker in its own right with Solar Beam and Weather Ball. I picked it the first time cause I thought it was a cute gimmick, but it's actually so good. I two-turned a Dialga with this, Hitmonlee, and Rhydon, lol. Even the AI seems to know to just pick Sunny Day turn 1. The only flaw is that it is incredibly reliant on weather, so Pokemon that can overwrite it are kind of problematic. But only kind of, it's not like they overwrite the weather every turn, and even just 1 turn of Flower Gift is often worth the Sunny Day turn with the right team.

:skuntank:
Aftermath
Lash Out/Burning Jealousy/Acid Spray/Sucker Punch
Acid Spray is so nice, and this is in a fun speed tier where it can both Acid Spray before others attack, but also slow enough to do fun Lash Out combos.

:basculin:
Adaptability
Liquidation/Dive/Psychic Fangs/Ice Fang
This hits quite hard, and if you can dynamax you get a rain boost to really go off. Dive is really clutch when you're low on health too; you can still deal decent damage while avoiding some attacks. The coverage looks nice but if you feel obligated to use it you're missing the point of Basculin. Also the blue stripe one is respectable too with Scald, but this one is just better to me.

:stunfisk:
Static
Electric Terrain/Thunderbolt/Earth Power/Muddy Water
Stunfisk is one of those Pokemon that always has better stats than I assume, and this mode is no exception. It has really good moves and takes most hits.

:charjabug:
Battery
String Shot/Eerie Impulse/Spark/Dig
Like Flower Gift, Battery is really good in raids. String Shot and Eerie Impulse are great support on top of that, and Dig is fun for avoiding damage after debuffing, since it's not like this is dealing that much of it anyways.

:tsareena:
Queenly Majesty
Aromatherapy/Trop Kick/Acrobatics/Swagger
This has good enough bulk to take a hit, and Trop Kick does consistently good, if not great, damage while neutering attack. I tend to like Skitter Smack for the same reason, but this is a cute (this was a typo but I'm keeping it tbh) above since this is quite a bit stronger than those. Acrobatics is coverage I guess, but ideally I just want to Trop Kick. Aromatherapy is also nice to heal status on the way to the boss.

:togedemaru:
Sturdy
Nuzzle/Poison Jab/Electroweb/Iron Head
Speed control is often nice, and with the new mid-turn speed change mechanics it's especially nice on a fast Pokemon like Togedemaru. It's often bulkier than expected due to Steel's million resistances, and even for stuff like Kyogre it has Sturdy to come in clutch. Iron Head then deals decent enough damage after speed control.

:greedent:
Cheek Pouch
Gyro Ball/Psychic Fangs/Body Slam/Swords Dance
Decent for the normal fights, but in the longer boss fights Swords Dance really shines, especially with Greedent being hard to OHKO. The 30% paralysis chance is delectable as always, too.

:dunsparce:
Serene Grace
Skitter Smack/Dual Wingbeat/Shadow Ball/Ice Beam
Okay, maybe this doesn't belong on a list of unexpectedly good Pokemon, but damn if this isn't a lot better than it looks. I've had the uh, fortune...? to have seen this multiple times when nothing looks good, and it always ends up being a respectable choice. Skitter Smack has great utility, and this hits a lot of things super-effectively in general. Serene Grace can be nice with Shadow Ball too, and outright amazing with Ice Beam.
I’ve found Jynx with Lovely Kiss also really useful, since it’s relatively fast and Lovely Kiss is acceptable for a Sleep Move. Been great for stalling opposing sleepers.

almost won this Kyurem fight until it got rid of its paralysis and confusion, used hyper voice, then used glaciate, which is a true 0-to-death combo

Also on that run was a weird encoutner with a Klinklang. It was doing 2 attacks from the start of the battle? Like this was stil green health and on turn 1. It was even using Giga Impact, still getting to doa second attack, but then the following turn it recharged on both its turns.
Bizarre

e: Caught the kyurem, onto heatran

if you get heatmor on the heatran path just mash a until you die, it doesnt matter. Heatmore will actively sabotage you and any water types you have

e2: I cannot believe i won the heatran battle despite heatmor

Last edited:
Also on that run was a weird encoutner with a Klinklang. It was doing 2 attacks from the start of the battle? Like this was stil green health and on turn 1. It was even using Giga Impact, still getting to doa second attack, but then the following turn it recharged on both its turns.
Bizarre
I had this with Klang too. Whenever i fought one of the two, they would attack two times in a row.

And we lost.
I think you are mistaken. Tapu Bulu is immune to Rage Powder since it is a Grass type.

The ""haze"" doesnt remove effects that are not actual buffs/debuffs/status (tailwind, screens, redirect, protects, field, weather wide guard, etc)

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Bizarre
From what I've seen, Gigantamax Pokemon's two turn moves take one turn. I wouldn't be surprised if Hyper Beam and Giga Impact counted as two turn moves because they kind of are but with the "charge" turn happening after the attack turn.

Edit: I saw some Pokemon need a turn to recharge after Hyper Beam today.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, Gigantamax Pokemon's two turn moves take one turn. I wouldn't be surprised if Hyper Beam and Giga Impact counted as two turn moves because they kind of are but with the "charge" turn happening after the attack turn.
Doesn't look like it. I think it's a case of something with Klang's family coding there, as it's the only opponents I saw attacking twice outside of low HP bosses.

Notably also using standard stuff like Charge Beam

Oh no the Araquanid had Entrainment and always uses it all the time

Including my rock head relicanth who yes DID instakill itself with rock head recoil from full health to 0 health, giving us the one and only kill before rayquaza, who i would have killed if i had one more heart in stock

I think I found a new way to get certain shiny legendaries from the max lair:
  1. Do a bunch of runs trying to get the shiny legendary of choice, to no avail.
  2. Decide that actually you should probably aim for a 0 speed IV instead of shiny
  3. Do another adventure for that legendary to start the search for 0 speed IV, finally get shiny instead because the universe has a twisted sense of humor!
My dear beautiful shiny gold Stakataka, if only I could bottle cap your speed to zero. :psycry:

(Ok, it's actually maybe usable, it's speed IV was 6 or something, so only 2 points off of a 0 IV at level 50, but it won't be winning any Stakataka mirrors under TR.)

Special thanks to the three human partners who decided Dugtrio, Flygon, and Bellossom would be good picks to handle Kyurem.

I mean... unironically thanks? We won with zero deaths the whole run, even with everyone tanking a Glaciate + Hyper Voice.

Really I'm speechless. Wtf just happened.

I think you are mistaken. Tapu Bulu is immune to Rage Powder since it is a Grass type.

The ""haze"" doesnt remove effects that are not actual buffs/debuffs/status (tailwind, screens, redirect, protects, field, weather wide guard, etc)
Was gonna mention this, yeah. Grass is immune to all Powder moves, Rage Powder included.

Also has anyone had any weird disconnect issues or anything? Not sure if it was my internet or what, but it's DC'd a time or two. Also had a weird issue where it seemed like i was watching an NPC play or something in one case.

Speaking of NPCs... you would think they would be more competently programmed to not just randomly go for trades, especially in situations where they have something good vs the final boss and trade it for something that is bad vs the final boss.

"I'll take this abomasnow into the nidoking fight, what could possibly go wrong"

*fire punched turn 1 to death* ah, well
*revived, max flared to death* really just...wish there was a "stop the adventure" button

e:
when a guy picks up hitmonlee in the penultimate battle on zygarde's route: yes!
when he swaps it for sceptile: no!

Last edited:
An AI just used swagger on an allied pokemon when we were under fairy terrain. Didn't know they could do that, it was surprisingly clever of the AI.
Too bad it was on a scyther though

So turns out that Sceptile run of Zygarde owned, we somehow pulled through.

And I just caught Landorus on a great run where I got Mantine and just no selled all but one of his attacks ( a disablign wave -> max quake into mimikyu combo) while Scyther, Mimikyu & Bewear tore into him.
Incidentally, Curse is a great move since it can't be removed by the wave and it deals a fair chunk of damage every turn.

And with that...I have everyone! I still need the Hoenn starters and version exclusives but I'm content for now. Despite all my grumbling this was a fun exercise to do.

An AI just used swagger on an allied pokemon when we were under fairy terrain. Didn't know they could do that, it was surprisingly clever of the AI.
Too bad it was on a scyther though
Don't sleep on Scyther, dude was a MVP. Technician Wing Attack and Quick Attack were big carries on my run with him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)