Dynamax Adventures Thread

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I just did a solo adventure where I gave up against the first Pokemon and soft reset. As you've probably seen, the game saves before an adventure and when it ends. I found out why it saves at the beginning. The next adventure was exactly the same as the one I reset during. Same starting Pokemon, same AI picks, same paths and Pokemon. It saves so you can't reset for an easier adventure and, if I'm guessing correctly, so you can't Shiny Hunt Legends on an easy adventure. (Ironically, choosing the other first path resulted in a very easy adventure. :P)

Idea to slightly abuse this: I think I heard the data that decides the IVs, Nature, and Shinyness of each Pokemon is decided ahead of time, so will it be Shiny after you reset or will the game make it so none of them are Shiny after resetting as punishment? (Either way, you're not using an easy route for Shiny Hunting or good IVs) If Shinies stay Shiny when you reset before the adventure ends, then you can use cheep Normal Pokeballs on your first run (and only run if there's no Shinies) then reset and use the Pokeball you want for the Shiny. I'd test this if I get lucky enough but I value Shinies too much to test this, so... Who wants to possibly sacrifice a Shiny for science?

If any of this is inaccurate, I'll edit to cross those parts out. If it's been up a few days without edits, it's safe to say this is an accurate analysis.

I have had
7 battles in a row

where the ai has used Trick Room on the turn where the boss gets paralyzed or had their speed lowered

resulting in them getting set to own us again, so they realize this is bad and then have to waste another turn using trick room again to undo their god damn mess

even if the boss WASNT paralyzed, these team set ups were not trick room optimal (at best, two of the team were slower than the boss)
e: EIGHT BATTLES IN A ROW

I have had
7 battles in a row

where the ai has used Trick Room on the turn where the boss gets paralyzed or had their speed lowered

resulting in them getting set to own us again, so they realize this is bad and then have to waste another turn using trick room again to undo their god damn mess

even if the boss WASNT paralyzed, these team set ups were not trick room optimal (at best, two of the team were slower than the boss)
Or when you have a Pokémon with a stat-dropping move while battling Solgaleo (hi, Metal Sound Lairon)

How much do we know about the "D/C penalty" for Dynamax adventures and how does this affect, say, Shiny hunters trying to get a specific Shiny legendary in a specific Apricorn Ball?

Worst case scenario, are players not allowed to soft reset on the screen after the last raid is completed and it shows whether the legendary is Shiny or not? This would effectively force players to either grind hundreds of Dynite Ore to throw at the D/C penalty, or grind the Cram-o-matic for hundreds of Apricorn Balls.

What do the D/C penalty mechanics look like? I've seen "3 for the first time and 4 for the second time", but what does it increase to each time and does it ever stop or go back down? Does it take into account multiple D/Cs in a row or will two D/Cs years apart still trigger it? Does it still happen on solo raids with NPCs?

Looking through movesets https://serebii.net/swordshield/dynamaxadventurespokemon.shtml

I was all set to see Togetic as a hard counter to Zygarde. Fairy means it ignores Dragon Pulse, and the flying typing means it gets to ignore the ground moves AND it has follow me to ensure that it can't target other people with it. A decent posse of allies could then safely take it down. A lot of RNG to even get TOgetic, much less get it to Zygarde, but a nice thing to have in your pocket

Then I noticed they gave Zygarde Thousand Arrows, not Waves, almost certainly otu of direct spite for Togetic strats. How rude.

Also rude, Mewtwo knows Blizzard. I thankfully had kept a Mantine the entire trip there so spamming wide guard while waiting for dynamax helped survive an unlucky onslaught.

Icicle220

formerly FireLandonYT
Looking through movesets https://serebii.net/swordshield/dynamaxadventurespokemon.shtml

I was all set to see Togetic as a hard counter to Zygarde. Fairy means it ignores Dragon Pulse, and the flying typing means it gets to ignore the ground moves AND it has follow me to ensure that it can't target other people with it. A decent posse of allies could then safely take it down. A lot of RNG to even get TOgetic, much less get it to Zygarde, but a nice thing to have in your pocket

Then I noticed they gave Zygarde Thousand Arrows, not Waves, almost certainly otu of direct spite for Togetic strats. How rude.

Also rude, Mewtwo knows Blizzard. I thankfully had kept a Mantine the entire trip there so spamming wide guard while waiting for dynamax helped survive an unlucky onslaught.
Well, if you put togetic with a pokemon with bodyguard (pelipper works very well against zygarde), then the team would be prote3by bodyguard for wide moves while follow me would redirect all the other moves. Since thousands arrows is negated by bodyguard the only way to get togetic down would be spamming wrap

I have had
7 battles in a row

e: EIGHT BATTLES IN A ROW
I think you might be giving the AI too much credit here. I'm pretty sure I've seen the AI use TR two turns in a row just because.
The Araquanid will also sometimes just spam Entrainment on already entrained targets.

I did two full days of these over the weekend and Saturday gave 4 shinies and Sunday 0...
The RNG gives and takes.

I think you might be giving the AI too much credit here. I'm pretty sure I've seen the AI use TR two turns in a row just because.
The Araquanid will also sometimes just spam Entrainment on already entrained targets.

I did two full days of these over the weekend and Saturday gave 4 shinies and Sunday 0...
The RNG gives and takes.
I actually am going to give the AI credit here because I've had this Trick Room Lampent before and if there's no Paralysis/whatever that makes the boss slower (thus, faster) it will let trick room sit.

It would not surprise me if there's an AI routine where it checks speed states with Trick Room

It would not surprise me if there's an AI routine where it checks speed states with Trick Room
In one Adventure I saw an AI trainer using Speed Swap with Raichu on a slower Pokémon, only after a partner Jellicent used Trick Room. I don't know if it was deliberate, but it was convenient.

I actually am going to give the AI credit here because I've had this Trick Room Lampent before and if there's no Paralysis/whatever that makes the boss slower (thus, faster) it will let trick room sit.

I'll be honest I might have missed something in those instances as I haven't been doing these with 100% attention to be fair.

Due to Dynamax Misty terrain was set up. As in, no status.

My AI companion's Sharpedo used Swagger on my ally because no confusion. Neat! My ally? Malamar. Oops, -2 attack.

Next turn the AI uses Swagger again... on the raid boss... which now has +2 attack and no confusion...

We lost horribly. God damn it.

I really thought it couldn't get worse than Solrock, but I am glad the Dmax adventures are providing so much more shenenigans for our AI friends.

....yeah I'll stick doing them with actual humans :psynervous:
despite my complaints about trick room and the occasional status move spam otherwise, i still find the AI pretty competent. I've gotten 12 legends at this point and many of those were first attempts.

And the failures were more due to just bad luck that even a human player probably oculdn't avoid.

How much do we know about the "D/C penalty" for Dynamax adventures and how does this affect, say, Shiny hunters trying to get a specific Shiny legendary in a specific Apricorn Ball?

Worst case scenario, are players not allowed to soft reset on the screen after the last raid is completed and it shows whether the legendary is Shiny or not? This would effectively force players to either grind hundreds of Dynite Ore to throw at the D/C penalty, or grind the Cram-o-matic for hundreds of Apricorn Balls.

What do the D/C penalty mechanics look like? I've seen "3 for the first time and 4 for the second time", but what does it increase to each time and does it ever stop or go back down? Does it take into account multiple D/Cs in a row or will two D/Cs years apart still trigger it? Does it still happen on solo raids with NPCs?
It happens on solo raids with NPCs, and as long as you don't rq in a row, no penalty, just some whining.

Also, Groudon is freaking terrifying. You need to set up Grassy Terrain ASAP or it'll just EQ your whole team until everyone drops and it hits like a freight train.

as long as you don't rq in a row, no penalty, just some whining.
So for players who want a Shiny legendary in an Apricorn Ball, the optimal strategy is "Battle and catch legendary -> check shininess -> soft reset if not shiny to get Apricorn Ball back -> avoid penalty because haven't D/C'd twice in a row -> do another Dynamax Adventure but quickly lose on purpose -> repeat"?

Solgaleo is definitely one of the harder bosses. Extremely bulky, his stab if called as a gmax move can then power him up even more, his ability makes it real hard to lower his stats

Thankfully I got him with a pretty supportive squad that i'm shocked worked, even if it took a long time. Mudsdale (Lash Out/SuperPower/Sand Tomb/Rock Smash) with AI partners Gastrodon (did nothing but use rock tomb, didnt see its other moves, real power of attrition stuff here), Togetic (EXCELLENT support mon with Follow Me and Life Dew; also threw in some Mystical Fires) and Audino (another Life Dew user, but also Flamethrower)

Don't sleep on trapping moves, the extra damage adds up

This was an AI Togetic! I went into this solo, I was the Mudsdale.
It was a life saver through the entire trip and I was glad they never swapped it out
I only used it once, it was right at the initial rental pool. Immediately picked it to block the AI. lmao

It struggled extremely hard to do anything against Tyrantrum, all it could really do was Max Starfall to soften Max Wyrmwind and the AI is too unreliable offensively, so I swapped for it.

Best. Pick. Ever.

Thing is an absolute monster, it even put in work against Suicune.

I legitimately can't tell what's worse. Humans or AI.

AI never brought me down the grass path when we had three water types.

AI never used Toxic on a Weezing.

AI can do basic STAB math to understand that Fire Blast boosted by sun deals more damage to Nidoking than... Solarbeam.

"At least humans know how to Dynamax"

No they god damn do not.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)